All Comments on 'The Candyman'

by BigGuy33

Sort by:
  • 105 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousalmost 7 years ago
Should be a 10

If they allowed I'd give it a 10. One of your best!

Wonderman1Wonderman1almost 7 years ago
Excellent

Very powerful story and very well written. Thanks for posting it. Even those who have had a tremendous loss can overcome them with love.

CSD2CSD2almost 7 years ago
Dealing with Loss

Is hard to describe. You did a great job in doing so.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 7 years ago
Damn...

Terribly emotional; a true heart breaker for those who are empathetic.

Very touching depiction of the anguish the main character felt, and a very

uplifting story of human kindness and caring. Enjoyed ot, even if I did cry !!!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 7 years ago
Best story I have ever read on this site in 20 yrs...

Dude... Don't know what to say. You rock. This was a very emotional story for me. I bawled my eyes out. Thank you for writing it...

rightbankrightbankalmost 7 years ago
A difficult subject

Presented with compassion.

extemporeextemporealmost 7 years ago
Outstanding, heart felt and perceptive . .

With this story you have joined the the very small "club" of the very best writers on this site. I've read a lot of very emotionally driven stories and this one stands out not only for the sensitive way you've portrayed this tragic situation, but in the grace and skill of your writing.

firemanlitfiremanlitalmost 7 years ago

As a previous poster said, this story deserves a 10

BriteaseBriteasealmost 7 years ago
I'm not crying... honestly

Sad but lovely story.

hnau0022hnau0022almost 7 years ago
Great

I can see the TTT basis and your story is as good if not better than TTTs story. I also would give a 10 if I could.

bigdnc13bigdnc13almost 7 years ago
One of the Best!!

One of the best stories I've read on this site by one of the best writers. I've always enjoyed your Loving Wives stories, but this was something special. Thank you.

GrandPaMGrandPaMalmost 7 years ago
It's one thing...

To pluck the heartstrings, but did you need to use both hands and put your back into it too?! Oh, that reminds me that we need to go pick up some more Kleenex...

Physics tells us that some of the (simplified) laws of nature are reflected in equations like f=ma and p=mv. You have shown us another such, if distantly related, law of the universe. Broken and shattered hearts cannot be mended easily, but even with the most traumatic of heartwrending causes; mending remains possible...if we but allow for it. First comes the grief and all its necessary stages, but after that can come, if not a mending into its previous state, then a rebuilding into a new state of wholeness.

Well done tale of essential truths of the heart and soul.

Personally, I could have done without the blasphemy - but who else was he going to be angry with but God given his circumstances? Nosey neighbors? Maybe, but that would have been small-minded at best. His neighbors served him very well, once they got their own fears and stupidity out of their collective way.

This is truly one of the best stories to come down the pike in ages. Thanks for sharing it with us.

PTBzzzzPTBzzzzalmost 7 years ago
There you go

making my face leak again.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 7 years ago
Real peoples hearts.

I loved how Cary when she realised how grievous was his pain and nightmares.

Went with her husband's blessing to help him sleep.

All in a real world sense.

gldngolfergldngolferalmost 7 years ago
Well done...

Damn well done.

Denny CraneDenny Cranealmost 7 years ago
What a wonderful world it would be....

...if we all had people like that in our lives to watch our backs.

You said it would be dark. That wasn't dark. That was beautiful.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 7 years ago
4*s

Definitely, something new and creative from BigGuy33.

At least for us readers more familiar with his LW stories.

Characters clearly defined. Dialogue sensible, simple and to the point. An idea that I haven't seen before on this site. I was happy not to see a 'got you' from the Henry character.

Really a very entertaining story and a new plot. Kudos to you BigGuy33 👏👏.

AMerryman

nreh21nreh21almost 7 years ago
Loved It!!!

Where is a tissue box when you need it???

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 7 years ago
AWESOME!

Tear-jerkingly wonderful. One of the best I have ever read.

Thank you for sharing your writing with us.

PaulFelly

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 7 years ago
Dang Dust

So much dust around here

sbrooks103xsbrooks103xalmost 7 years ago
Thoughts

Very nice story.

Minor typo - After the storm, when Selma stayed the weekend and they had dinner with Victor's family, you said "Victor and Selma," not "Victor and Liz."

I don't know why the wives didn't clue the husbands in, they were more likely to say the wrong thing if they DIDN'T know what was going on than if they didn't.

I thought that Selma was going to show up and talk him of the roof.

While I accept that it's the characters' belief, my non-belief had a hard time with the God, Heaven and Hell stuff. Even if I DID believe, I don't understand the need to go to the cemetery; isn't Heaven everywhere?

FD45FD45over 6 years ago
This worked for me

A touch maudlin, and I wish he showed a bit more strength, but we are all flawed creatures.

Nicely done.

Cookie7991Cookie7991over 6 years ago
Loved it.

My first favorite since joining up. Thanks

cabbage01132cabbage01132over 6 years ago
5*

bit depressing and a bit romantic for me. i was hoping the brash party girl monique was gonna take him in hand and fuck him back into rude health and mental wellbeing.

long ago a "rough diamond" of a girl did that for me.

nice story though.

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
Very very nice

Nice compliment to tx tall tales. Not ashamed to say you got as many tears out of me as he did. No sure I can come back to this one again. Very powerful. Thank you.

jezzazjezzazover 6 years ago
That was awesome.

Just... great.

trandall9991trandall9991over 6 years ago
Just fantastic

Absolutely wonderful story. I cried all through this story. It was so damn good. Thanks for the story. See, they can put out a story where no one gets cuckolded. And people love this. See.

gatorhermitgatorhermitover 6 years ago
Doggone allergies acting up this morning

BigGuy can write. Redemption on multiple levels. Well done.

timrivtimrivover 6 years ago

Good heartwarming story 👍🏻

etchiboyetchiboyover 6 years ago
Tears streaming down my face ...

... at the cemetery scene, though I was close to tears throughout most of the story.

Absolute 5-Stars-plus

AnonymousAnonymousabout 6 years ago

Heartbreaking... And very well written...

-jaye-

AnonymousAnonymousabout 6 years ago
,,,,,,,,,thank you

Thank you,.

Thank you.

FD45FD45about 6 years ago
I was far too guarded in my praise

This worked so well for me. Thank you.

Cardswin2011Cardswin2011about 6 years ago
Very nice

As fine a story as I've read anywhere. Thank you.

Tuzolto54Tuzolto54about 6 years ago
Man oh man

BG, outstanding writing. I have seen the horrors of war and death, but the Cemetary and scenes of Henry challenging God were tear jerkers.

GillotineGillotineabout 6 years ago
Humanity

A very compelling story, well written. With so many messages, don't judge a book by its cover, assuming makes an ass out of you and me, Love Thy Neighbor. Even though I don't really care for mine now, I've had ones in the past that I've considered family. It's what the world needs. If anyone reads this and does not have a tear form in their eye, they are not human.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 6 years ago
A Very Very Nice Story

It brought a tear to my eye a couple of times. But I enjoyed it. A lot. Just one comment if I may. At the end, the author mentioned that he pondered over which category to post the story in. In my opinion, it should have been posted under “Fantasy”. Because I don’t think that there’s a neighborhood in this country, or maybe the world, that would band together and help a hurting guy like Henry. I guess I’m just a cynic. Hell, I know I am. Great story, though.

CSD2CSD2over 5 years ago
More to say

Unless one has ever had to bury their child that person can never know the grief and pain of wanting to be with their child or children instead of living without them.

Fathers are supposed to protect their children. That hit me so hsrd.

Raging at God? Yep. It happens. We are not Job. We don't take this loss quietly and blameless. We are driven insane by the questions: why did you allow this to happen? Why did you take MY CHILD?

Curses and rage fill the void of the unanswered questions. The whispered answers are seldom heard.

It does take replacement love to help heal. To continue to stay on this Earth. To stop asking the questions as often. To stop blaming yourself daily. To continue to exist.

Until we hopefully see them again.

Thanks again for the tale, BigGuy.

Be at peace, my Son.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 5 years ago
Extraordinary Story

We’ll wriiten and heart wrenching. If you didn’t shed a tear for Henry, you are not human. One of the best on this site and it would be a fantastic read on any literary website. Well done.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Very sweet...,

...fun to read, occasional ungrammatical (i suppose vernacular) english. Obsession with making babies, plus the god mumbo jumbo I´ll never understand. Thanks for the story.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Kiwi

Damn it!

You made me cry!

Awesome story.....thank you

etchiboyetchiboyover 4 years ago
That Cara -- quite a woman she is.

She'd make an excellent executive of one sort or another. Big heart, smart, personable, thoughtful, quick... Damn!

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago

Thanks, thats a great one.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Thank you.

Such a heartfelt story. Sitting here crying my eyes out. Just went and hugged my kids.

Thank you

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Great Story

Wow, that was a definite tear jerker. Great story - thanks for writing.

SexySandra01SexySandra01over 4 years ago

Such a sad tale .. I was a fireman for 31 years and I was like a Christmas card always greeting (crying for those that don't know Scottish) well done and beautifully written.

Max604Max604about 4 years ago
WOW!!!

Just amazing!! Brought tears to my eyes. One of the absolute best stories on Literotica!!! Thank you for sharing it with us!!!!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
Touching story

Special loving neighbors like they used to be everywhere. I was surprised there wasnt some big coming out for Halloween. With the gifting of candy.

jimjam69jimjam69almost 4 years ago
Great story

This is the kind of story you do best. Outstanding job again.

jsch1947jsch1947almost 4 years ago
Excellent.

This one's right up there with Bandit and September Blue.

Two of my all time favorites.

Beautifully written.

OlgreyfoxOlgreyfoxalmost 4 years ago
WOW

Once and a while I read a LIT.com story that strikes very close to home. I am talking memories. When my wife of 44 yrs died from the big "C" I was crushed. Even though I had many years with my love I still wasn't ready. I went through all the things a person usually goes through, the grief, and all the symptoms a big loss conjure up. The one I most remember was the ANGER. I did the same t-storm thing Henry went through but at the top of a mountain. I waved my walking stick at God and dared him to take me, I cussed and called him nasty names and challenged him to take me out. She was so deserving to stay alive and I was such a stupid non deserving clod, I was just SO pissed. I got soaked and lost my voice for several days from screaming so much and got a nice cold but shit I am still here. That was almost 4 yrs ago and I still shake my fist and single digit at God once and a while.

We had a long and happy life together so I cannot imagine what it would be like to lose a whole family so sudden and tragically. I just cannot imagine. KUDOS for a great story.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Done so well

A few commenters indicated they were uncomfortable with the cursing directed towards God. Only once in my life have I felt so bereft and in such emotional anguish that I also, strongly and repeatedly, cursed to God, much like in the story here. Fortunately, my emotional pain passed with no retribution from the Almighty.

Very believable if you have suffered a great emotional burden such as this character has. Poignant and touching. Very well done!.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Thank you

U problems seem so small now. I am here after Medflight, a stroke during the ride and waking up five days later in 2014. I'm still not sure of my fate but strive to do better and be more helpful each day.

etchiboyetchiboyover 3 years ago
@FD45 Re.: “...I wish he showed a bit more strength...”

If he (I’m assuming you mean protagonist) showed much more there would be that much less of a story, no?

etchiboyetchiboyover 3 years ago
Cara’s husband, David, was also very strong and sure of their relationship...

...to let her be so close, physically and emotionally, to Henry.

etchiboyetchiboyover 3 years ago
Any help with which TTT story this is based upon?

Just too many TTT stories for me to go through.

etchiboyetchiboyover 3 years ago
Story gets 4.80 stars. WTF???

1 in 5 give this story 4 stars or less? Should be more like 4.92-stars

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
I am a downer

I liked the story, really. But I was on edge the entire time that Cara was so close to Henry. I would not have wanted my wife to sleep beside him to keep him calm. If so I would be in a chair in the room eyes wide open. Then with all the mothering she did and the hospital stay? Why not the neighbors all take turns. That would be better and I would feel better. If there hadn't been a Selma available who knows where the relationship could have gone.

BeBopper99BeBopper99about 3 years ago

5***** Stunningly Beautiful and Well Written! Write On!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago

Wish I could give a higher score than 5,

gcg41gcg41about 3 years ago
BEAUTIFUL

I enjoyed it and at times has tesrs very eell written.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago
The metaphor was a million miles away.

"He clung to her like a drowning victim grasps a life preserver, and the metaphor wasn't far off."

That's not a metaphor. It's a simile.

When something is "like" another thing, it's a simile.

When something is something else it's a metaphor.

I'm trying to make this simple, and probably failing.

The wild horses of the surging sea galloping onto the shore - that's a metaphor.

lee5456lee5456almost 3 years ago
Damn fine story!

if this story does not get to you then the surgeon will be over to do your heart transplant

trandall9991trandall9991almost 3 years ago

One of the best "stories" on here. You should write these type more often.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

One of your best yet. Thank you. It was very touching and moving. 5 stars.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

The neighbors started off as crappy people but turned out to be damn angels in the end. Also when they first met I got where they were coming from but going at him like they did was out of line. Great 5 Stars

brian_scoobybrian_scoobyalmost 3 years ago

So excellent of a read! I got emotional with this story. Such great writing. Thank-you!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

Not worth the time. For a tearjerker story the plot is lacking, for a romance the romance is lacking.

On a side note, the neighbours, especially the bitch Cara, are the stereotypical Americans. Loud, obnoxious, can't keep their nose out of your business and always think to now better what you want/need.

In short: annoying as fuck and without hope for redemption.

Hornydevil47Hornydevil47almost 3 years ago

You write some of the most emotional stories on this site. At 73 years old I needed a box of tissues to soak up my tears. Daft ain't it. You just hit so many realistic subjects that I am disappointed that you're readers just don't understand. While you keep writing I'll keep reading. Thank you so much.

MwestohioMwestohioalmost 3 years ago

Very tender and good writing

YouDidWhutYouDidWhutover 2 years ago

Thank you for this.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Wow! Excellent story. 5 stars.

dazzer15dazzer15over 2 years ago

A brilliantly written story. I unashamedly wept through half of it as I'm sure anyone who has lost a partner or child in tragic circumstances. You brought out the survivors feelings of helplessness and guilt, as you ALWAYS blame yourself in some way even if you weren't there at the time. Always the "what if" questions in your head that never go away! 5* just does not seem enough!!!

SDN1955SDN1955over 2 years ago

I’ve come back to this story four or five times and even though I know how it turns out, I shed tears every single time I read it. It’s astonishingly good. The plot holds together very well and the characters are very believable. Henry’s argument with God puts you right in the middle of the storm with all the neighbors.

I am continually amazed at the quality of the stories that many Lit authors put out there for free for people to enjoy. I only wish I had the talent to write and the bravery to put a bit of myself out there.

AnyMooseAnyMooseover 2 years ago

Great story; thanks. What doesn't quite ring true is why Henry bought a house in a neighborhood with so many children if he didn't want to be reminded of what he lost. In a similar situation, I would be leasing an apartment or buying a condo in an adults only neighborhood but maybe that's just me...

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Wow, that was so good. Not a believer but I can see how he needed that to help him move on. 5*

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

One of My best friends lost his wife to a drunk driver . She was 6 months pregnant . Both of them Died that Sorry Night in September . Naturally the Drunk Driver lived . But He Never goes anywhere alone . Seems like he got beat up a few times . Both times we were at a Casino that had Cameras everywhere . First thing to say when arrested is Lawyer . I would have moved from that Neighborhood . I Know all of My Neighbors and they know Me

brian_scoobybrian_scoobyabout 2 years ago

Second read… just such a great story. So emotional. Thank-you for it

Fireguy1956Fireguy1956about 2 years ago

A heart tugging, teary eyed story. Very well written and worthy of more than 5 stars.

Lawrie1941Lawrie1941almost 2 years ago

Without a doubt this is your best work. There is nothing I as a reader would want to fault, you capture the very essence of the characters pain and the community compassion. Once again well done

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Most of the comments are naturally positive, the few that are not have that head-in-ass syndrome going on. Thanks for a touching tale!

somewhere east of Omaha

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Having the name of a violent movie series may not have been my first choice, especially being in non-erotic.

Helen1899Helen1899over 1 year ago

Beautiful story, so well written, thank you sharing, It brought tears to my eyes.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

You might like "Jab Tak Hai Jaan" if you like this story.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Normally seeking LW, snd somewhat BTB, for cause, I have tended not to read Rom. or N-E. This was nearly stellar. With better authors, such as yourself, I will expand my readings. They also have value which I can use.

AnonymousAnonymous12 months ago

awful misery, stopped at the second page. I'm reading through the list, some very good, some not so good but 'heart-break' no thanks.

KinPAKinPA11 months ago

Masterful…anyone who claims this isn’t worth reading has never had to deal with the pain of losing a loved one, has zero empathy, or is just one of “them”.

AnonymousAnonymous10 months ago

I can understand the parents fear of an older man with lollies around kids and even them being angry.

Yes they handled confronting him about what he was doing poorly, but parents worry about kids.

But wouldn't it be wonderful if we could all have neighbors as good as they turned out to be.

As a father / Grandfather I could understand his sorrow at loosing his family.

This story put a tear in my eye and put a lump in my throat about the size of a baseball.

Well done to the author, very well written story, thanks, .... 5*

AnonymousAnonymous10 months ago

Congratulations BG33, for the most beautiful, romantic and wonderful story. Definitely worth more than 5 star rating. 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

AnonymousAnonymous9 months ago

@KinPA - That's a very narrow minded and hurtful attitude to take. Perhaps they have dealt with the pain of losing a loved one and don't need a story to bring that pain back up? Perhaps they are looking for an escape from the troubles of reality and a depressing story like this doesn't help their situation?

Perhaps you should try a little empathy for your fellow readers who found this story not to their liking?

PrincessNutNutPrincessNutNut8 months ago

Thought I was sat down reading, didn't realise I was cutting up onions for something!

AnonymousAnonymous7 months ago

Damned hay fever.

Max12059Max120596 months ago

Truly excellent. Not much I can add that numerous others haven't already said. I will say that I wish neighbors were like this in real life. Unfortunately, that's not my experience. But thanks for posting. Its a real "tear jerker".

DrtywrdsmithDrtywrdsmith6 months ago

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ This is one of the most beautiful stories I have ever read.

AnonymousAnonymous6 months ago

Brilliant beautiful wonderful story. BardnotBard

Ursus1932Ursus19326 months ago

This one needs no help from FTDS, it's perfect. Thanks Big Guy.

AnonymousAnonymous5 months ago

PTSD is not funny and destroys lives. If only people know what their actions can do to other people they may not hurt them. I am slightly surprised that Henry's PTSD did not trigger when he gave the children sweets (candy to some of you) as it would have reminded him of his children. The anniversary on the incident should have been a known trigger and should have been perceived. Hopefully his nightmares living with Selma will reduce over time. One rigger that may be an issue is seeing a crash on TV or a film. That one may need to be watched for.

12
Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userBigGuy33@BigGuy33
3103 Followers
Been writing stories for years, since I was a kid. Those were more tame and usually involved the head cheerleader falling in love with me. You won't see any willing cuckold stories, or any humiliation. I work in Loving Wives, Romance, and am branching into incest/taboo and gro...

SIMILAR Stories