All Comments on 'Anticipation Ch. 01'

by 5thRing

Sort by:
  • 4 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousalmost 7 years ago
A bit too short.

A bit too short for my taste. I realize this is intended to be a multi-part offering, but a longer first episode would be helpful in order to set up the basics of the story and perhaps to get it started on firmer footing. You risk losing your audience if you don't grip them and hang onto them early, to bring them back next time wanting more.

5thRing5thRingalmost 7 years agoAuthor
Re: A bit too short

Thank you for you input. I have chapters 1-8 submitted. So, I'm hoping that 1 and 2 will not be too far from each other. They were originally both in the same chapter, but I split them for fear it might actually be too long, given the lack of erotic content in them. Perhaps my reasoning is flawed. :)

Rest assured that some upcoming chapters are much longer, and my concerns about them are of a different nature, so I very much welcome your future input.

EarlGrey1070EarlGrey1070almost 7 years ago
Fat thumb

I'm sorry I gave your story a 2 and I meant to give it a 4. Evidently i only get one shot at rating. Anyway, I felt pretty much the same way as "a bit too short" until I read your reply. Now I'm expectantly waiting for the next chapters to appear. I like your writing style: direct, to the point, no word waisted. It reminds me of the dad teaching his kids to write in the movie ARiver Runs Throught It. He said "Again, half as long". And sent them back to their desk. I like the narrators logic in being a vergin and the fact you didn't slam Christians too. "Let people think for themselves" is a great world outlook. Thanks for all the work I know you put into this piece. I'm sure it's going to be great and I can't wait to read it.

5thRing5thRingalmost 7 years agoAuthor
reply to EarlGrey1070

Thank you. I appreciate that you notice my "no-nonsense" style.

In the back of my mind, I'm always concerned that I do not put enough flourish in the to really create the world for the reader, but ultimately, what I intentionally do is put in only what is required, and I let the reader fill in the blanks as they see fit, because those details are not important to me or the point of the story.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
user5thRing@5thRing
129 Followers
I love getting comments on my stories. I like honest CONSTRUCTIVE critiques: what SPECIFICALLY you liked and disliked. I'm seeking ways to improve because even I am not satisfied with my own work. Simply saying that you didn't like it is not helpful, at all. I have just su...

READ MORE OF THIS SERIES