All Comments on 'How To Write Erotica'

by LargoKitt

Sort by:
  • 4 Comments
secretsxywritersecretsxywriterover 6 years ago
The Purpose

"The first and most obvious point is that erotica, unlike other kinds of writing, has a purpose and that is --to get the readers sexually aroused."

This sentence right at the beginning saddens me. EVERY piece of writing has a purpose, not just erotica. Whether it's to be informational, to make the reader laugh, or simply to take you away from reality for a little bit, there is a purpose...a reason...for why the writing exists. And by the way, plenty of non-erotic fiction has gotten me (and I'm sure many others will attest) aroused sexually. It's all in the way the author has woven their words, creating just the right web to ensnare your mind. Erotica is just different in that it allows the author to be explicit and up front with sex in order to draw the reader in and keep their interest...with the end goal that you hope they've been sexually aroused in the process.

LargoKittLargoKittover 6 years agoAuthor
Writing with purpose

Yes and no. While I agree that all sorts of writing has a purpose and many kinds of writing (songs!) can be erotic, I still hold that the purpose of erotica is to turn you on, much as horror stories are -designed- to scare you. Other writing that I do does not envision any particular effect on the reader. Authors often protest that they do not think of the audience when they write. Are they telling the truth? Food for a good discussion.

secretsxywritersecretsxywriterover 6 years ago
Clarity

I agree that the main purpose of erotica is to arouse the reader sexually. My point was that ALL writing has a purpose, not just erotica, which is contrary to the way the sentence was worded. My apologies for any confusion. Thank you for the article, though. : )

SSW

cruiser_2015cruiser_2015over 6 years ago
Plausibility and simplicity

Perhaps I’m weird but for me No.1 in an erotic story is plausibility. Erotica works because the reader/viewer feels he/she is part of the action with that character in the story or that nude in the picture. If it’s too far fetched the audience can’t identify and can’t get turned on.

No.2 is simplicity. If the plot’s too convoluted I lose it.

No.3 is directness. I like to have a good idea by paragraph #2 who’s going to be having whom. Paragraph #1 sets the background. If something hasn’t happened by page 2 I’m off into another story.

Turn offs:

1. Where the author describes the girl by her weight (pounds, kgs), height (5 feet 8 inches etc.) and bra size (36d etc.). Are there any guys in the real world who actually think like that? When I see a girl I’m thinking legs, boobs, bottom, hair, curves and pretty! Describe what you see and feel. I don’t even know my woman’s bra size but even without that I can tell you her boobs are big, well rounded and firm and swing deliciously when she’s on top.

2. Where you are half way down page 1 and you still can’t decide whether the first person author is male or female. Yes there are actually some stories out there like that! It doesn’t take much to make it clear (“when my wife walked out on me ...”, “I’m a woman with rather naughty tastes ...” etc.)

Lots of other turn offs but I won’t bore you!

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userLargoKitt@LargoKitt
354 Followers
LargoKitt concocts tales, pix, and pomes out of tails and heads, indents and bulges, drips and licks. The characters in these stories, verses, and pictures resemble the people we don't dare be. But we can wear their costumes in the free world of our imaginations.