All Comments on 'A Fucking English Lesson'

by secretsxywriter

Sort by:
  • 86 Comments
BobossweetnessfreakBobossweetnessfreakover 6 years ago
You forgot a couple!

Going along with taught/taut, people use taunt (to tease) instead of taut (stretched tight). Also I've seen many times people use lied (means a past tense of to lie or tell a false truth) instead of laid (I LAID down on the bed, not I LIED down on the bed). I'm soooo glad someone finally put this in writing!! IT DRIVES ME NUTS!! I've always attributed it to my being an English major. THANK YOU AGAIN secretsxywriter!!

legsfeettoeslegsfeettoesover 6 years ago
Comma and Semi-colon

Loved this submission! 5 stars! But I need to say that It's been my experience that many times the author uses too many commas. He/she uses a comma where none should be. I've also observed that some authors use a comma where there should be a semi-colon. Maybe they think a semi-colon is something only a half-ass would have!

21stcv21stcvover 6 years ago
i think you missed out Wether

a fucking male sheep with its nuts cut off!

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago

# Blond = A Fucking Male Hair Color

# Blonde = A Fucking Feminine Hair Color

English is not my mother language, but to my knowledge the hair colour (adj.) is either "blonde" or "blonde" no matter the sex of whom it belongs, while a "blond" (n.) is a male with blonde hair and a "blonde" (n.) is a female with blond hair.

gabaagabaaover 6 years ago
Another Fucking Big One in LW!

To be discrete: To be fucking separate

To be discreet: To be able to keep fucking secrets

tangledweedtangledweedover 6 years ago
Required content

Potential writers out there, please use this guide of commonly misused words. Your readers will notice.

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
Very well done

One disagreement. A "boarder" is the person who stays and usually pays for the privilege, e.g. In a boarding house. It is indeed pleasing to see someone who on the whole understands the use of basic English. It saves me despairing the murder of the language and having to "shutter" as I read!!

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
Some more ...

Whither and wither.

Faint and feint.

Lesser and lessor.

Less when fewer should be used.

Vagina when vulva is the correct term.

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
Amazing Omission

How could you leave out 'site' & 'sight', the difference of which seems to be lost to 90% of the public.

KlitomaticKlitomaticover 6 years ago
OK, I read it

I laughed, I cried, and I learned something.

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
Fucking Brilliant

Can we force all writers on Lit to read it?

secretsxywritersecretsxywriterover 6 years agoAuthor
A Fallible Writer

LOL I never claimed to be infallible...just frustrated!

My list consisted of the words I had room for on my bio. But I can now submit edited versions of this post.

Thank you for the additional suggestions, as well as the corrections. Maybe my next submission will be on comma usage...which, of course, depends on which side of the Atlantic Ocean you live on.

SSW

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
Additions to the list

Rain/rain/reign.

Apparition/aberration.

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago

Did you mean rein/rain/reign?

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
Another one

Clothes are made from cloth.

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
Just a few comments

# Course = A Fucking Path

I think you should also add: -or fucking series of classes covering an educational topic

# Shutter = A Fucking Window Cover

I think you should add - or a fucking camera device for exposure

Finally I would agree with the comment left by another poster that the word blond can be spelt with a trailing 'e' or without. Gender never being an issue. Perhaps in French but NOT in English.

Just you wait. In a hundred years there will be people saying a potatoe is a female potato.

tomphan25tomphan25over 6 years ago
Thanks

And you, secretsxywriter, are Uppercase Fucking Beautiful!

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
Great

If nothing else, you know how to use the word fucking.

Boyd Percy

Tw0Cr0wsTw0Cr0wsover 6 years ago
out-fucking-standing

Thank you.

dreamer3366dreamer3366over 6 years ago
Pet peeve

Thank you for an outstanding story. That has always been one of my pet peeves. The other is using the wrong name in a story, specially where there are multiple key people involved.

CABONECABONEover 6 years ago
Fucking Awesome

This is one of the funniest things I have read in a long time. It is also one of the saddest because it is so true.

luedonluedonover 6 years ago
After seeing how many favourable comments this article attracted

I just had to read it to find out what the fuss was about. As a card-carrying pedant regarding the English language, I'm delighted that I did.

As several commenters have pointed out, SecretSexyWriter's list is excellent but not exhaustive. Maybe a complete list of errors is beyond feasibility. Authors keep creating new ones.

Sometimes a story can be so well told and so engaging that the errors in spelling or grammar don't distract quite so much. In a site like Literotica with amateur authors it is unrealistic to expect perfection.

But when a story is of marginal interest, the added distraction can make the difference between bothering to read it and abandoning the effort.

Re-defining words is another feature of Literotica that interests me. For example, the Loving Wives commentariat has re-defined 'cuckold' (often mis-spelled as 'cockold') to mean a submissive wimpish husband of an adulteress, and 'consequence' to include only the negative outcomes which may result from her adultery. Maybe each story category needs its own glossary.

Lue

oldbob68oldbob68over 6 years ago
so very write

Ha you missed that one.

It is my pet peeve as well. We all make mistakes but when I hit three in the first two paragraphs I'm done. I don't care how good the plot is. If it's painful to read I won't.

I probably read each story four or five times before I press the publish button and a few times I've still missed something.

Thanks

dickens_ciderdickens_ciderover 6 years ago
here's another

Drug - noun - things you hopefully only buy at a pharmacy

Dragged - verb - past tense - he was dragged from the car.

LordGeoffreyLordGeoffreyover 6 years ago
A wonderful article

5*

Now you need to create a list of the actual meanings of all the derivations of the verb "to fuck".

DoppioAltoDoppioAltoover 6 years ago
Me too.

Except I learned something. The blond/blonde thing. Thanks!

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
curse of the fucking spell checker

Correct spelling, but wrong word.

I just came across another example in a story: author used 'beacon' when he meant 'bacon'.

ScattySueScattySueover 6 years ago

You could also add:

Oral - in your fucking mouth

Aural - in your fucking ear

RoyalBrainRoyalBrainover 6 years ago

This is the best list ever.

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
a few more

someone mentioned "write" / "right." There are two more to go with this.

Right = correct or not left

Write = to compose, as in a story

Wright = a maker of something

Rite = a ritual

And one that doesn't come up often, but jars when someone mentions jewelry.

Carat = quality or weight of a gemstone

Karat = purity of precious metal

Carrot = what Bugs Bunny eats

Caret = the ^ symbol

only posted as Anon because I don't have an account yet.

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago

Do I get a fucking prize for knowing and correctly using all the fucking words on this fucking list?

secretsxywritersecretsxywriterover 6 years agoAuthor
Your Prize

@ Anonymous - You get the privilege of joining the ranks of us that know how to write the right way. Red pen not required; use of the F word optional. The secret phrase will be sent you privately through the male...er...mail.

Welcome to the fucking club!

SSW

SouthPacificSouthPacificover 6 years ago
More Americanisms which grate

Something which I never see from English writers:

"Grinded" as the past tense of "grind" - surely the correct word is "ground?"

"Dove" as the past tense of "dive" - sorry, but for me a dove is a bird from the pigeon family. The past tense of dive is "dived."

And the one which is my real "chalk on the blackboard" hate - "snuck." Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!

As another editor, I too absolutely despair at some of the "English" which gets onto this site.

Biker_TypeBiker_Typeover 6 years ago

Only one statement seems appropriate..."Fucking A!"

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
Great list ... one more

Add "that" vs "who"

danoctoberdanoctoberover 6 years ago
Very nice.

5 Stars!

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
Reader not a writer

I learned something from your post. Although I knew the meaning and proper usage of 99.9% of the terms in your list I did learn the difference between blond and blonde. Thank you for that. As I read through 'A Fucking English Lesson" I chuckled at your use of the word "fucking." Somehow I could just hear it rolling off of your tongue in a cynical and cutting manner. As a frequent reader on this site I am hesitant to offer advice to someone that writes stories. However, some authors would do well to read their own submissions. I was taught that if someone reads something that I wrote and cannot understand it, its not their fault, its mine.

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
Affect/effect

That particular one has the confusion that there is a noun form of affect and a verb form of effect, so it's not quite as clear. Of course, the meanings are different in each way.

I hope my efforts to effect a positive change in this discourse do not lead you to think I have a pedantic affect :).

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
Wither/Writhe

I skimmed several stories by an author that constantly wrote withered instead of writhed.

wither-fucking dried and shriveled up

writhe-wiggling like a fucking worm.

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
THANK-YOU!

I have read multiple stories with such awful grammar, that even though I enjoyed the plot I couldn't finish them. One in particular comes to mind, where and author mistook suspender belt for garter belt. I let it slip the first time, thinking it was an accident, but it continued throughout the next couple paragraphs to the point of me having to stop reading all together.

I really enjoy your stories because of how well written they are.

I came back to your page yesterday to reread Raw, and discovered you had added to the 'raw universe' with Occupational Hazard. It was a beautiful stand alone series, but I really appreciated you intertwining your series in a realistic way, without pulling the reader from the story.

PardonmyfallPardonmyfallover 6 years ago
Yes!

I think that as a writer, reader, or just a general fan of the written word, we tend to be more sensitive to misuse of grammar. Frequently, I have had to restrain myself from pointing out typos, grammatical errors, or incorrect use of context when reading certain posts. It can be so distracting from the storyline, but it's FUCKING painful to read, not even a pleasurable pain.

Thank you for your entries and for reminding everyone of proper English and grammar.

valkirionvalkirionover 6 years ago
Fuck

I fucking love it LMAO

LargoKittLargoKittabout 6 years ago
Fucking great

This is a true fine fucking list of often fucked-up vocabulary. I could rack my brain to fine udders but these are much of the wons that people snafu.

Fine work.

And we'll ignore the split infinitive in the fourth paragraph.

( C ;

AnonymousAnonymousabout 6 years ago
Its Great

For nearly fourty years I've been confused about the difference between affect and effect. You fixed that problem with less then 10 words. Thank you.

TheWorstIdeaTheWorstIdeaabout 6 years ago

I laughed a lot fucking harder than I probably should've.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 6 years ago
A Gentleman and a Scholar

I wish every person would read this.

SparkyMark1961SparkyMark1961almost 6 years ago

I agree with you. When there is bad grammar in a story I wonder (or is it wander, lol) if the writer is, one, an English speaker, and two have they been educated.

I have seen a t-shirt that says,

"Silently correcting your grammar"

Sometimes I find myself not so silently correcting your grammar.

SleeperyJimSleeperyJimalmost 6 years ago
The most versatile word in the English fucking Language put to great use.

Thanks for this simple and hopefully effective list, although I have a doubt that many fucking writers have read it, based on what I've read lately.

I think misused words are like viruses and fucking spread geometrically in the same way. One story will contain one, and all too soon, dozens are popping up all over the place in stories of every genre.

My personal bugbear is shutter instead of shudder, which takes a story from an interesting description of how someone reacts to pleasure, pain or fear, to the reaction to an expected storm.

Shutter - to fucking board up a window or door, or the fucking cover you use to do that.

Shudder - fucking muscle spasms

Fuck is the most versatile word in English, and perhaps even any language, as it can be used as a noun, verb, adverb, adjective, pronoun, interrogative, interjection and just about any other part of speech in all tenses and all situations. (Except when meeting Her Majesty. She frowns internally at that.)

MaonaighMaonaighalmost 6 years ago
Just discovered this article...

...and I couldn't agree more. I always flinch when I see misspellings, incorrectly used words, poor punctuation etc. Worse than flinch, I seethe when I see a comment that says something to the effect of: "Don't worry about proper spelling and grammar, they don't matter." I find myself screaming at my computer: "Yes they fucking well do matter!" It's bad enough when such errors come from a poor writer but far worse when they come from an otherwise good writer/storyteller. Thanks, SSW---hopefully some people will take notice of what you say.

I couldn't help noticing that the Anon who at last appreciates the difference between 'affect' and 'effect' is a little confused about 'fourty' and 'forty'.

MplsGentMplsGentalmost 6 years ago
You are my HERO!

Can I pretty please post this?

reclinedfeekreclinedfeekalmost 6 years ago
second the hero thing from mplsgent...

Abso-fucking-lutely. Nothing destroys the flow of reading more than the type of mistake SSW is going for here- throws the brain as it has to self correct.

And point made with a joke and a smile... well done SSW.

Carmilla234Carmilla234over 5 years ago
Omg...

This posting was great!

LI KerwellLI Kerwellover 5 years ago
Added as a Fave

I looked for cum vs come and realized I knew less than I did. A reference piece for sure!

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
Great...

May I add stripping / striping; barely / barley; and, a particular bugbear of mine, it should be chaise longue, not chaise lounge. It means a long chair and is pronounced shezz long.

MostdefinitelyMostdefinitelyover 5 years ago
:-) Loved the List. Very Helpful.

On come vs. cum: I'm really confused with this debate, 'cause now some online dictionaries define it as both a noun and verb, although informal. I've always used "cum" as both a noun and verb, simply 'cause it felt right to me, and will continue to do so. Plus, I've also seen "come" defined as an infiormal noun. So, yea, I'm confused, but also not really concerned.

If you ever decide to update this list, here are a few more words you should consider adding - not sure if other readers have suggested them already. Haven't read all the comments:

Choke/cholk

Complement/compliment

Crowed/crowed

Does/dose/doze

Lookout/ look out

Of/Off

Onto/on to

Quite/quiet

Stared/starred

Thought/though

That's all I got. :-) Thanks for the list.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
Another addition

# Advice = Offer a fucking appropriate course of action

# Advise = To give fucking advice

erebustitan43erebustitan43about 5 years ago
excellent

For those Authors who can't speak much less type or write English, you need to learn the language before you use it, Vise Versa for English speaking authors for foreign languages.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
Brilliant List.

Thank you for writing it. It seriously pisses me off when people use the wrong word.

Bottom_upBottom_upalmost 5 years ago
Great fucking list.

I suspect that you'll be adding to it for practically fucking ever.

I have an additional fucking definition for rode; the fucking rope or chain that attaches the fucking anchor to the fucking boat or ship. I don't suppose I'll see that much on Literotica though.

Keep up the good work.

WORDSMITH2015WORDSMITH2015almost 5 years ago
IF ONLY

Huzzah to a literate approach to improving the writing in Literotica.

JeanCFNMJeanCFNMalmost 5 years ago
British fucking English does allow some you fucking dissed

You mentioned come / cum but as A fucking Englishman it would be come and even coming.

The fucking past tense of fucking dive can be fucking dived or fucking dove with an extended o sound (as in Dover) not the short version which is indeed a bird of the fucking pigeon family.

No fucking list is ever fucking complete.

keep up the fucking good work

InPennyInPoundInPennyInPoundover 4 years ago
Fucking Amazing

If only my English teacher had taught it this way....

I haven't laughed this hard in a long fucking time. I know this was submitted back in. 2017 but I had to leave a comment. Brilliantly done, SSW.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Fucking great

Should be compulsory reading for every author

Lamia33Lamia33almost 4 years ago
Love this compendium

Awe can also be a fucking shock (both good and bad connotations of shock)

magic10fingers4magic10fingers4almost 4 years ago
Now WE KNOW

damn, there's grammar to study - OMG - so well done - LOL

TheserialwaffleTheserialwafflealmost 4 years ago
Uau

Amazing, I am azzzing

Maybe some have their soul at the sole?

Nicely writen if I may say so.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Well done

Well done man,in fact I trying to learn English by erotic stories!!! And it's fucking good!

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago

Gawd, I would have learnt so much more if my English class was like this. :-)

Legio_Patria_NostraLegio_Patria_Nostraabout 3 years ago

This list is so necessary and, in various forms, I've seen it before. However, I never laughed my ass off reading it! Either Daniel Webster or George Carlin - or maybe both - are spinning in their graves!

The money-shot actually came up front: "I'm into anal...when it comes to being grammatically correct!"

One that sort of does and doesn't fit on this list is a subset of our texting culture: 'A lot' versus 'alot'.

Illiteracy creeps into English as surely as the barbarians encroached upon the Roman frontiers, but people like you stand unwavering and steadfast! Thank-you!

Rgds,

TSF

DutchessOfTheNorthDutchessOfTheNorthabout 3 years ago
Bravo = Thank Fuck

Finally. If you want to get a woman’s knickers off, you really would do well to turn on her mind. This won’t be done by the village idiot. Small things can be overlooked, but for the love of gods at least make the effort. Full round of applause here.

my_other_lifemy_other_lifeabout 3 years ago
Love it!

Great list! I would have provided a comment sooner, but now I'm nervous about what I'm writing...

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Absolutely fucking brilliant. However vise, as in metal working tool can be spelled both ways. See Oxford English Dictionary.

Whitewolf89Whitewolf89over 2 years ago

Fourty = Not a fucking word ....greatest of them all

yarnspinnerryarnspinnerrover 2 years ago

Very good fucking list! I si two many righters ruin there story's with whoreable grammer.

Lol ;->

rescatooorrescatooorover 2 years ago

This wasn't what I expected, but I do take my snortle.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

i.e. does not mean therefore, it means "that is" (from Latin, "id est").

So, "e.g." means "one fucking example is ..." while "i.e." means "the only fucking example is ..."

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago
Love the List

Although: dove vs dived and smelled vs smelt should probably be removed. They're interchangeable. It's just that Americans don't use 'smelt'

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

I would give this a thousand stars if I could! Here’s one I read recently that is not on your very comprehensive list: rouge vs. rogue. Used many times, so not merely a typo.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

As a retired teacher, and professor, I commend you sir, if for nothing else than your passion.

While languages should be used, and recognized as they change and grow, some effects (VS. affects) of “social” media are not always seen (seen vs. saw-is a regional, mainly spoken, misuse heard in West Michigan -often by highly educated persons).

PurplefizzPurplefizzover 1 year ago

Fantastic list, not complete, but as any dictionary compiler will tell you, it ever is. My pet peeves are the idiotic substitution of “drag/dragged” for “drug” and the nonsensical made up word “deplane”.

Good Grief Charlie Brown!

Many thanks for writing and posting, my Wife will love this, mostly because as a teacher this is a subject close to her heart. 5⭐️ Naturally.

Regards, Ppfzz.

AnonymousAnonymous6 months ago

This should be required reading for all college frosh. High school if the School Board wouldn't bitch.

If I knew these definitions for affect/effect it would have saved me so much grief.

Taid7692Taid76924 months ago

Absolutely brilliant, although my pet peeve is the use of the word fit for ALL tenses of the verb to fit. I inwardly scream when I see someone has written 'It fit', when they clearly mean 'It fitted'.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
usersecretsxywriter@secretsxywriter
1881 Followers
October 2022 PRIMAL - My new lesbian series. A familiar setting with new characters...and a twist. It's a jungle out there. August 2022 MIDNIGHT SPECIAL — A gift I gave someone special that resurfaced in my archives while writing another story for here. THE DROP — Personal...