All Comments on 'Great and Terrible Things'

by JoeDreamer

Sort by:
  • 190 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
Loved it

Ain't it about time you did another onr

jackh1962jackh1962over 6 years ago

There is nothing wrong in writing a long story,although someone,sometime will no doubt say that you should have broken it up into chapters,with multiple submissions.I see no need to break it up. Sometimes it takes awhile to get from beginning to end.And some just can't see that,their attention spans demanding a quick and dirty story,then off to the next one.Anyway a good story,one that will get reread again and again.

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
Write more

Great story you really should start writing a lot more often then you are!

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
MEDALS

Great story but you hit one of my pet peeves! US Military personal do not WIN medals, especially the MEDAL OF HONOR. A grateful nation awards a you a medal for recognition for your actions or sacrifice to support the freedoms they enjoy.

dwoelfledwoelfleover 6 years ago
Wow! Worthy of the best western writers

Phenomenal story. I lived the ongoing tension between Josiah and Abigail. You got it just right

sferguson53sferguson53over 6 years ago
Outstanding!

I think it would make a great movie. Well done.

JBOATJBOATover 6 years ago
Great Story JD

I enjoyed reading this story. Well worth the time. JD, you seem to have spent some time researching the period of 1878 as well. The Colt Peacemaker was introduced in 44 caliber for civilian sales several years after the US Army adopted the 45-caliber Colt Single Action Army revolver in 1873. The 44-caliber cartridge used was called "the Winchester cartridge of 1873" until several years later when it became known as "the Winchester 44-40." It is still popular with Cowboy Action shooters today, both in lever-action rifles and revolvers of the period. Remington Model 1875 and Merwin and Hulbert Second Model cartridge revolvers were popular competitors for the Colts and Smith and Wessons mentioned, as were several cartridge conversions for the many cap and ball revolvers available. I was surprised you never mentioned the 45-70 Government cartridge then used by all Army cavalry units in single-shot "trap door" Springfield carbines. All of those early US cartridges for revolvers, rifles, and shotguns were loaded only with black powder in 1878. Modern people simply do not realize the tremendous cloud of sulfurous smoke they produced with each firing. Most revolvers were then carried in "full flap" military-style holsters, often "grip forward" on the off side as with the cavalry saber. Protecting the revolver was far more important than quick drawing in the Old West.

liquid_yellowliquid_yellowover 6 years ago

Well worth the time to read! Definitely looking forward to your next story

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
Awesome

It was beautiful, ..... Don't want to say anymore and spoil it

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
Best entry in the contest so far

Simply awesome and complete

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago

A Christmas present at Thanksgiving, what could be better? Great. Keep writing.

muze1602muze1602over 6 years ago
Really enjoyed the story and the characters

What a great read. Couldn't put it down till I'd finished it. Good strong characters with nicely filed in background stories. Good story plot. It's all good.

AmbisinisterAmbisinisterover 6 years ago
Very, very, good!

One of the best reads on this website, bar none!

rightbankrightbankover 6 years ago
She and my brother Samuel's were twins.

Is there a word missing, and is it

sister?

Spyder1953Spyder1953over 6 years ago
Great western

Great read. This is like the old westerns you got to read. Do not see them anymore. You should try your hand a t another.

AzttAzttover 6 years ago
Outstanding

As a soldier this really spoke to me!

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
Great story

One of the best stories written! I wish you had divided it up into multiple parts.

Boyd Percy

rightbankrightbankover 6 years ago
wife?

She and my brother Samuel's *(wife)* were twins.

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
great read!

i always loved the western stories. this was very good

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
Wow!

I've always been a fan, but this is the best I've seen. I wanted to save this until last, but I couldn't wait. What a story!

I also want to say to Blackrandl1958, you made quite a splash. I had read your novels and noticed when you won some contests. You are a great writer, but doing the events you have been doing is, by far, the best thing that has happened on this site in the years I've been reading here. I've never seen so many five star stories posted on this site in one day. It's going to take me weeks to read them all, but I'll get to it. The three I've read are just exceptional. Thanks from a grateful reader. RPL

JMH1961JMH1961over 6 years ago
Thank You Joe

Great, Great, Great Story....I prefer the longer stories. Randi brought in the C/W theme and you smoked it. IMH&HO (humble & honest opinion)....the best of the best.

Thank You......ALL

woodmanonewoodmanoneover 6 years ago
Very well done

The depth of your characters made the story more than good. It reminds me of some of the old time western novels or movies. This is the first of you works that I've read but it won't be the last.

Thank you for the hard work. Not an easy task keeping everything together with a story this long.

Woodmanone

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
Wonderful! Five stars, as usual.

But why, oh why, did you spoil the flow with missing/wrong words and crass punctuation. Did you post the next to final draft by mistake?

Hardtwist55Hardtwist55over 6 years ago
Fivwe solid stars!

Wonderful, magnificent, stupendous! In case your wondering, I liked it a lot! A bit rough at times with both the grammar and the punctuation. But then when one reaches perfection it's time to put away the pen and begin walking on water!

blackrandl1958blackrandl1958over 6 years ago
Thank you

I did not expect this magnificent novel, but I am truly grateful. What a reading experience! I love your stories, of course, butter this'll is on a whole new level of love. I owe you one. Randi

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
Dumb fingers - I meant to click 5 starts only hit 4, sheesh

Well written, loved the addition of the Buffalo Soldiers at the end. It's nice to read a story where the author understands weapons as well as tactics. Wonderful romance.

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
Nicely done! Thank you!

Thank you!

rehj35rehj35over 6 years ago
Amazing Story

Not exactly the type of story I usually read here but when I seen Cavalry in the description I chanced it. (An old Army Cavalry scout here myself)

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
well, well

Zane Grey's spirit is alive and well.

A good swift kick in the posterior!

Thank you....loved it...5*

A Treat

livetruelivetrueover 6 years ago
thank you

You have created strong characters that I have come to Love and appreciate, with a trnsion and plot worth every word. Thank you. Well done.

SonofCalliciousSonofCalliciousover 6 years ago
Good tale

Joe, I'm sorry I could only give you four stars for what should have easily been a five star story. You were obviously on a deadline, and for that many words, that was difficult. I wish you had edited. Were you to edit this, you could easily sell it on the market. I urge you to do so. There were just too many misused homonyms and improper tenses for me to give the deserved otherwise five stars. You, sir, are an excellent writer. I've read many of your other stories, and Saving the Company several times. I look forward to reading more.

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
More please

Please write a second one about this couple. Perehaps about their travels meeting his family and where they go and end up. maybe even having more children. I really enjoyed reading this story.

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
Excellent

Thoroughly enjoyed your story. Excellent work and I look forward to reading more of your stories. 5 well deserved stars.

g912493g912493over 6 years ago
I am enjoying the Westerns that are starting to pop up here

I really enjoyed this story, please indulge in some more Westerns, you do them well!!!

Rhsc1Rhsc1over 6 years ago
Wow!

Well done!

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago

Wonderfully written with many unexpected twists and turns. Great character development, good plot, well constructed story of the old post Civil War West.One surprise was having one black sergeant-major and his family as part of this small close knit community.Looking forward to more stories from Joe Dreamer. Keep up the keen well written.work , with believable sex scenes.

bruce22bruce22over 6 years ago
Beautiful Western

Great characters including the four footed variety and the younger generation. The lack of prejudice is natural in a successful frontiersman. You have to accept as they are as he did, not trusting anyone until they prove themselves deserving.

kuhpa01kuhpa01over 6 years ago
Where to Start,,,Hmmm

As someone stated earlier, and you mentioned yourself, you were obviously rushing to publish this story. You left a dump truck load of errors, mostly grammar, but DAMN!!! What a good story!!!

Top notch character development, excellent knowledge of the times and the mores of the people, especially the descriptions used for the Civil War. You built such a clear picture that I could quite easily visualize the action. Zane Grey, look out, a great Western author is here.

I agree that this could easily be a really good movie. But wait a minute, "Shane" comes to mind as well as "Hondo". You couldn't be faulted for having been influenced by seeing any number of the great old western films. My biggest problem is trying to picture what movie stars to put into those roles. Being an old guy, I lean more toward Joel McRea than Clint Eastwood, but that's a personal problem, ha.

And you even squeezed in a fabulous sex scene at the end!

I look forward to reading more from you. Thanks for your work.

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
Magic

Enchanted, could not stop binge reading. *****

Thank You and best wishes, Simon

sbrooks103xsbrooks103xover 6 years ago
@jackh1962

The story is just as long if written in one piece or several. None of us are forced to read it in one sitting, meanwhile we don't have to wait for future chapters to be posted.

I mean no disrespect to those posting multiple chapters.

SelqSelqover 6 years ago
This is awesome.

The first time I have read one of your stories, it most certainly will not be the last.

The depth of character and the way I was drawn into the story, just great.

5 stars and looking forward to reading more from you.

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
Could'nt Put It Down

Gret story 5*, thanks for the submission.

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
Inspired Writing

Excellent story. Very entertaining. Good characters, good story flow and very little 'predictability' to the plot. Thanks

rdcyclistrdcyclistover 6 years ago
Amazing Story

Very solid plot, character development etc. The good guys were just the right amount of good and the bad guys just right amount of bad. I really loved it. Just like a Zane Grey, I could not stop reading. Good thing I can read on my phone...

Thank you very much for the effort. I look forward to more soon!

Dusu68Dusu68over 6 years ago
The best

I have read all but three of the Lit. Authors Go West anthology and this story, IMHO, is the best one. Thank you JoeDreamer. Now I am going to read all the other stories that you have posted here. 5*****

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
The good guys win.

Thank you for a good story that happens to be a Western.

You have a great style for Westerns.

arrowglassarrowglassover 6 years ago
Such a great total story!

Enjoyed it from start to finish! Well crafted...well explored...well done!!!

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
Excellent

Excellent story for the wild West! 5 Stars! Thank you for it.

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago

I loved this story! Thanks for writing.

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
Outstanding

Simply outstanding

The_PedantThe_Pedantover 6 years ago
The Best.

The title of this comment says it all.

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
Hell yeah

Guns, fights, romance, stubborn men, love... Nailed it.

canyouread_7canyouread_7over 6 years ago
Amazing yet again

Not a lot of stories can keep me captivated for 17 pages. This went above and beyond captivating, to say the least. Great work, JD :)

If I may add one piece of criticism, it would be to shorten Josiah's recounting of the 8 killings to Billy. It was just redundant and didn't paint his picture any better. Although I can see the reason being to show Billy the reality of bloodshed, I think the story would be better without it.

Just my two cents. Easy 5*

LeRoyEdwardsLeRoyEdwardsover 6 years ago
Enthralling, entertaining, infinity enjoyable!

Not being a fan of westerns, you did an outstanding job of telling a story regardless of the genre. Just saying that great writers can tell stories that are truly entertaining.

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
It was a western

I gave you a 5.

It was a real Western. I mean that.

MCPO Jim

johntcookseyjohntcookseyover 6 years ago
Well, it took me a while...

....went from the quick read file onto the stack of books to read. Hmmm.... Abigail and Billy and Josiah do Paris.... a la fin de siecle? Maybe an adventure during the Franco-Prussian war? I know, I know ! It’s just that they were such great characters that I hate to bid them adieu. William’s story would be fun, or Robert’s or even Billy’s in fifteen years when he returns to Wyoming from his world travels? I know, I know - your blood, sweat and tears. Whatever - “Great and Terrible Things” was a great collection of characters and a wonderfully constructed story - a treat to read. Thank you for sharing. *****

PuckItPuckItover 6 years ago
Thank you!

Not for those looking to get their rocks off in 30 seconds or less. Some typoes that would set the OCD wackos on edge. BUT- reminded me strongly of the old Zane Grey stories I read once upon a time. Probably "Desert Gold" most of all.

Kudos, sir, on a work well done. And thank you for sharing it with all of us. *****

oldwayneoldwayneover 6 years ago
I loved it!

Five Stars! It was one of the best westerns I've read in a while.

juan2forkjuan2forkover 6 years ago
Well told tale!

I actually laughed at the end. The characters are well written and the story is paced properly. Abigail is one hell of a woman.

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
Got a bit tedeous.

Too much battle/fighting details and too many words. Could have been a wonderful story with half the words. I like the story and give it 4 stars. If more compact and without unnecessary belabouring it desrves 5 stars.

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
Wow

Wow what a very nice story. The characters the story itself, really enjoyed myself. Also the buildup compliments.

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
Great read!

This storyline is written so vividly! I found myself watching the scenes while reading! Not many stories do this for me. Well done!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 6 years ago
Fantastic

Loved the historical west narration. As a veteran whose dad was a 1SG manchu at fort Campbell loved the soldier aspect. Publish on wattpad for more admirers.elizabeth.burlingame613@gmail.com.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 6 years ago
More of this story.

I would love to read more of Abigail and Josiah adventures. This story would also make a great move plot.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 6 years ago
Damn near great

Not bad for a young varmint

Horseman68Horseman68about 6 years ago
Super.

Extremely engrossing and satisfying story to read. I'm looking forward to reading more from this writer. Now.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 6 years ago
How come ...

... I cannot give this 10 stars? Well done!

The_Artfull_CodgerThe_Artfull_Codgerabout 6 years ago
Great story

Something this long is a labor of love and difficult to relinquish control of. Learn to trust your editors. ln my first quick read I mentally removed more than 2 pages. this story is 1 great edit from one of the best.

xtremeddxtremeddabout 6 years ago
The quality of the content not the quantity of words, thouugh

we would enjoy it more.

Thanks for sharing all your hard work on Lit.

x

yukonnightsyukonnightsabout 6 years ago

I found this at the suggestion of a friend...but I don't read long stories, I told him. Well, several hours later, here I am...and I'm so glad I am. Outstanding tale. The highlight to me was the thorough character development. The more I read, the more I came to care for all of the main characters...and you almost had me a little concerned toward the end that it wouldn't be the happy ending I was hoping for. You did as well as any I've seen at keeping it unsure right up to the last moment. For your effort alone to produce such an epic, five stars wouldn't seem enough...add in the really nice story...well, let's just say you're getting underpaid on this one IMO ! As someone else said; you could claim 10 stars from me if that were possible. (I know that you know, and we all noticed some editing issues. I don't count those as being all that important compared to the talent it takes to create the story in the first place. They can be fixed if you ever decide to publish this for profit...but a bad story with perfect editing is still just a bad story ;) Thank you for writing this and sharing it.

jwoodiejwoodieabout 6 years ago
Excellent story

Great in every way but one: those typos were tough to ignore. The plot and pace saved the day. 5/5, well done.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 6 years ago
Well done.

Very nice story, and competently told.

FabGMxFabGMxabout 6 years ago
Right into...

My favorites. Compelling characters and great pacing, you write a marvelous story and thank you for sharing with the rest of us.

Trailrider13Trailrider13about 6 years ago
Hoping for more.

I enjoy the long stories best. Please consider more of the same.

tbextbexabout 6 years ago
Four stars

It would have been five but my finger hit it wrong and the site won’t let me change it.

Great story, The characters were built quite nicely and most of them were very enjoyable. The action was well paced and held my interest all the way through.

I think you should consider the further adventures of Josiah, Abigail and Billy.

I would have liked to have heard “the scar” mentioned fewer times. I got the point the first five or six times but I realize maybe some readers didn’t... however, saying that makes me a critic... Those who can, do; Those who can’t, teach; Those incapable of either become critics of both.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 6 years ago
Historical Accuracy

You write as if you had been there, lived the life and handled the weapons. Feeling the pain, dealing with the aftermath of doing what is neccesary, no matter the possible cost. Battle is not pretty, quiet, nor black and white. Being afraid yet still doing what you can do and trusting, and hoping, that others are doing theirs. Good job.,

AnonymousAnonymousabout 6 years ago

I liked it,A good western story. Thank you.

38AD

SheershSheershabout 6 years ago
The ol’ Western love story

A great romantic story with shots and scars. Whenever clementine said “men !” I was on the floor laughing. Good plot and a great story 👍

KelteriserKelteriseralmost 6 years ago
Excellent

What a great story

I loved the plot line and the characters and up to the last two pages the underlying but building sexual tension.

Just goes to show not every story needs to be Wham Bam thank you Ma'am. A little plot line goes a long way

well done

Bo47Bo47almost 6 years ago
A Pretty Good Yarn!

A western with a lovely lady, lovable 8 year old rapscallion, crotchety grandpa, lovely long haired teen brat, and battle scared vet. What's not to love about it? The gun fights were laid out in believable 1 man army type scenes.

However, I'm not sure there were all That many 'hide behind the curtains indoors' western citizens. I cite the city of Coffeyville, Kansas, and the shot to gag dolls Dalton gang. Many of those citizens hiding behind the doors survived Indian and War of Yankee Aggression battles before settling down in town, and were reputed to be looking for something to break the monotony - I recommend Clarance Mulford's Hopalong Casady and Bar 20 Days books for almost contemporary stories of the period as opposed to TV western by 1950s screen writers. It's amazing what some of those old timers survived.

Just a tad too much introspection and 'but I'm a traveling man, so it can't last between us' repetition, if I must list a critique. It's a fine line to tred having enough to enable readers to 'connect' with a character and not loading the story down with an excess of it. You came on with just a tad too much in my opinion. Others may differ.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 6 years ago
damn fine piece of work.

cliche, , a good movie. . .

damn fine read bringing the ole days into today.

whether black and white or colour.

vivid.

thankyou

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 6 years ago
great

Wonderful yarn. Well done. Well written, believable and a real page turner

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 6 years ago
Movie potential

I can think back on the read and picture the movie in color with The Duke in the lead role in his heyday or as the grandpan later in his life. Now Jeff Bridges could do a fine job with any older male role in the story. Seriously, send this script to someone. Thanks for the great read.

BizbluBizblualmost 6 years ago
Snorted so hard -

Had to laugh out loud. Yep, dime store novel. "I was planning on riding off into the sunset tonight, just like what happens in those dime novels all the time." Would have been a bit of a ride what with WY being about 2,000 miles WEST of OH. So that would make it say 22,000 miles plus two oceans. Not sure how well that Domino could swim. A nice take on the old "Shane: Cowboy Story."

KiwijockKiwijockalmost 6 years ago
Great Story

Could not put it down.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 6 years ago
Shane Turns Around....

Classic Western. A little repetitive with maybe a little too much dialogue, but certainly a great effort.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 6 years ago
As good as Louis Lamour

😊

gemman1gemman1almost 6 years ago
One of the Best Stories on Lit

This story, by far was one of the best I have ever read on Lit. Well done and I look forward to reading many more of what you have to offer. Keep up the good work and keep on writing.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 6 years ago
One of the best

Its truly one of the best i ever came across .Awesome..

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 6 years ago
Awesome

It was amazing.. I just couldn't keep off of it.

AZSAMAZSAMover 5 years ago
enjoyed but the editing.......yuck

enjoyed nit immensely but greatly distracted by the misused words and misspelled words.

rangertedrangertedover 5 years ago
wait! what??? where was William shot?

you really do need to proof-read. or get a good editor. your story is good but far too many careless mistakes. first you say William was shot in the shoulder, but the very next page he's shot in the leg? and as others have pointed out, several other misuse of words, sentences, etc. you rushed thru to get the story out that you're simply not doing this good story or yourself justice! go back thru and re-edit it so you get the true ratings this work and you deserve!

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
Thanks!

Great story, well told!

KarensClit1990KarensClit1990over 5 years ago
Excellent 🥇 story

I couldn’t stop reading it!

Thank you for your story, actually all your stories are favs of mine.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
If this was a show, I d say ENCORE.

I hated to see it end. Everything about it was perfect. Is there any chance we will see a sequel with these characters ?

SleeperyJimSleeperyJimover 5 years ago
Great story - but it's done

Several commentators here asked for you to write more of this story. But I fully understand that this story is done. You released the characters, watched what they did and described it beautifully. But when they finish, the story is done. That doesn't mean that they might not resurrect into a different story. But this one is done.

Great writing. I think Louis L'Amour would have enjoyed this one.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
To rangerted

Where did it say William was shot in the leg? He had a limp when Josiah met him. That was the only time his leg injury was mentioned. I know from experience a traumatic upper body injury can make one unsteady on his feet, even without a prior lower body injury.

An excellent tale that I have enjoyed more than once! Thank you, JD.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
Excellent Read

A superbly written story. Is it just me, or did anyone else read this and have Sam Elliott's voice in their mind? The comparison with the book/movie "Conagher" come to mind, but this tale shines in its own right.

Thank you for a very enjoyable reading experience.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 5 years ago
Damn this story

I have to work in the morning.. I should have been asleep an hour ago.. 5 stars easy

12
Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous