All Comments on 'When Thunder Rolls Ch. 01'

by YouDidWhut

Sort by:
  • 44 Comments
Robyn1859Robyn1859over 6 years ago
Good start

I look forward to the rest of the story. I have walked Chickamauga and Franklin fields.

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
You are a great story teller

I am looking forward to reading your next chapter

Anna Valley

AlunCarregTheWelshmanAlunCarregTheWelshmanover 6 years ago
I'm definitely

I'm definitely look forward to the next chapter, make it SOON

Freddog6601Freddog6601over 6 years ago
Excellent first chapter

I’m hooked! Looking forward to the next chapter.

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
Great start

Great job with subject and story. Looking forward to more.

WordcraftWordcraftover 6 years ago
Awesome!!

You are officially a favorite author!! This first installment of your story felt authentic through and through. At first, I thought the story was about the horse, similar to the movie War Horse. I'm pleased it isn't. I love novels set in history and I know how hard it is to stay authentic with dates, setting, timeline, dialogue, etc, etc. If I had to guess, I think the story may be one of your ancestors??

swedishreader1swedishreader1over 6 years ago
Excellent.

Well written and very engaging.

Keep up the good work

Crusader235Crusader235over 6 years ago
Learnin

I got some more Learnin in me reading this wonderful story. I had no idea what Article 9 intailed for the surrendered soldiers. I'm expecting to learn much more in the coming chapters. Well done Sir, five stars!

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
Excellent!

I look forward to the next chapter.

As Gen Grant said " If I thought we were fighting simply to free the slaves I would resign my commission and join Lee!"

At its core the American civil war was about a country growing strong and two competing views of how it should be and what was needed for it to grow.

One view was a strong national government that would do growth and enable the bat to take its place among the others of the world. The second afraid that strength could turn to tyranny! Looking at different aspects of America today, and with an eye on her history it seems that both were right.

Slavery was, and remains, an evil institution but, it was only part of the war not it's real cause.

g912493g912493over 6 years ago
This is really strange!!

Here I am on a erotic story site and have found how much I enjoy Westerns. I had found a few here before, then Randi put up the Western Invitational. Many more appeared.

You are an excellent writer, I like your work very much. Please keep it up. Oh Yeah.. Hurry with the next chapter.

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago

Great story keep up the great work. Can't wait to read the next chapter.

BAnde53507BAnde53507over 6 years ago
Outstanding!

I thought I was going to complain about Thad shooting the Union soldier who turned out to be just a kid. I then realized this fit the tone of the story and the Civil War in general. You’ve written a wonderful story. I look forward to the next installment! More, please!

AnnaValley11AnnaValley11over 6 years ago
Learning all the time

I have returned to this story and Bandit, which is equally well crafted, five times. Each time I am not only entertained but also educated about the area around Virginia and Kentucky as I google elements of American history and life which is unfamiliar. Thanks for broadening my mind as well as writing such well crafted stories. Looking forward to Chapter 2

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago

Hope to see the next chapter soon.

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
NEXT CHAPTER?

I hope you continue this

AnonymousAnonymousabout 6 years ago
Waiting for the next chapter

I just read Bandit and had to read more of your writings. This one is wonderful, so please keep writing more of this great story.

SonofCalliciousSonofCalliciousabout 6 years ago
As Anonymous said,

I just read Bandit and had to follow up with this excellent tale. You capture much of the aura of the time well. Maybe a little quick with the sexual activity, but still the essence is there.

My only quibble is your mistaking of homonyms. Perhaps a good proof-reader?

5* for the story. Homonyms overlooked. :-) Thank you.

DogFuzzDogFuzzabout 6 years ago
Damn Man!

I am hooked like a Big Mouth Bass. More so - just reel me in. Such in-depth feeling displayed about his feeling after the war and its impact. The results of hate still flowing between the two sides. Throwing in a touching love story. You nailed it Brother. Top marks!

OutbackmanOutbackmanabout 6 years ago
Still awaiting you next chapter.

Only because you don't find that many good stories on literotica and this is one of them that grips my attention. Keep up the good writing.

AndrewmsailingAndrewmsailingabout 6 years ago
Fine opening salvo.

I very much look forward to reading more of Thaddeus’s reconstruction adventures. Great banter between the two principals, pleasingly archaic dialogue. Thank you.

oldwayneoldwayneabout 6 years ago
Really good, so far.

I hope you will finish it!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 6 years ago
Excellent beginning.

And a compelling narrative. The author's note at the end is what I find odd. I'll never understand PC oversensitivity. Things happened. Slavery was real. It's history. just deal with it. Let's not pretend it never happened. As long as it isn't being adovacated what's the problem? Honestly, what's next? Editing Mark Twain?

Enjoyable. Good job.

rightbankrightbankabout 6 years ago
I am so glad you have continued this saga

What a dramatic place to write - To Be Continued - but with the posting of Ch. 02 we get to find out what happens next.

Thanks rb

AWAKADSAWAKADSabout 6 years ago
Direction, decisions

There is one problem here, albeit taking into account that this was a fresh start for all after a devastating civil war with all the sorrow, personal loss and recrimination festering between brothers for many years after, that the relationship between Thaddeus and Elizabeth was founded on lust and need, not love.

This is confirmed by the fact that although Elizabeth pleaded with Thaddeus not to go after the cowards in retribution to the direct threat directed at Elizabeth and her defenseless child, she relented eventually, knowing that his actions may be the cause of his execution since for several years he would not be recognized as a true citizen with any rights and in fact virtually an enemy to the Confederate States. However, upon his safe return, after dealing out justice to rebel Confederate State cowards the recrimination “…I lost my son! I lost them all because a bastard like you hunted them down and killed them…” spewed forth demeaning Thaddeus and accusing him of being a murderer and a lesser man.

And then, including previous similar demeaning altercations, “You have your chance Thaddeus and on your head, be it. But understand this young man, you may have bitten off a bit more than you can chew with me.” Surely this indicates a lack of respect towards Thaddeus hinged on the age difference between them. This could well point towards a relationship where Thaddeus would not be able to take his rightful place as the head of the family should this relationship develop and result in marriage.

Now the question that arises is that if Thaddeus, by any miracle or even divine intervention remains there once reconciliation or acceptance from Elizabeth’s side had been established, could he trust Elizabeth not to go off at a tangent again should an otherwise mild crisis crop up in the future? Will he accept that he has to pussy-foot around Elizabeth?

I doubt that very much due to the dialog so far. I would be inclined to so say “Run Thaddeus, find a woman to grow old with that would respect you and unflinchingly support your decisions and actions, and love you regardless of any shortcomings”. But, that is only but a dream, right?

So, YouDidWut, what are you going to do? In my humble opinion, tread lightly, fix this budding relationship and give your story a chance to the hall of fame. Excellent so far, high 5, you have talent and have researched the facts surrounding this tragic period thoroughly.

tazz317tazz317about 6 years ago
STORIES FROM THE ANTE-BELLUM

all are exciting....most are tragic.....they will show character, TK U MLJ LV NV

AnnaValley11AnnaValley11almost 5 years ago
This story is one of the best on the site!

I keep coming back to this story.

The background has been thoroughly researched.

The characters are beautifully drawn and the dialogue is exquisite.

If you have never read this tale, give yourself a treat!

Schwanze1Schwanze1over 4 years ago
Yes

Specfuckingtacular.

arrowglassarrowglassover 4 years ago
A terrific yarn!

Sure hope there is going to be more!

xsiveonexsiveoneover 4 years ago
Read some History...

I hope you visit the "peculiar intuition" in History to find it was not only in the South. General Grant's wife owned slaves that had to freed at the end of the War as just one example. Remember the History of such an event is written by the winners and often favors that side only. A more honest account can usually be found in State archives that were written by soldiers and participants if they survived the ravages of war and fires of later times. The "race" card and slavery is the default position and a quick and convenient argument in any discussion about the War. State's rights was the start, slavery was the catalyst used by the northern politicians and Pres. Lincoln to keep a losing Army, at the time, engaged, to continue the fight to save The Union.

Yes, slavery was and is wrong and would have died out on it's own as costs were becoming to much to maintain. We must remember where slavery came from to start with; it wasn't thought up by the USA! The slaves, and the idea, were brought here and sold here by others. The USA has never made slaves out a conquered people. The Native Americans were treated poorly and wrongly by the Government but not enslaved! The South needed a labor force and slavery was an accepted thing among many countries and religions in the world at the time and education and religious teachings were not fighting against it.

Alas, I rattle on. Every man, women, and child has a right to freedom and a chance to seek a better future for themselves and loved ones. Ignoring History and removing all reminders of it will not help to better the scenario, you can not change History and ignoring it will doom those who do to repeat it again!

My $0.02!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
A good southern boy

would have chosen a mule over a horse to work the fields.

LilacQueen15LilacQueen15over 3 years ago

Superb story beginning! Should not have used that third bullet. The kid was given an order. He obeyed it. Thad shot him. That's war. The shot on the ground could be interpreted as murder.

To Anon about the mule: You have to be able to afford it first and then find one.

To the informant about slavery: You are right!

NewOldGuy77NewOldGuy77about 3 years ago

As an avid student of the Civil War period, I am enjoying this story very much! Joshua Lawrence Chamberlin is my favorite Union General!

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

How come Thad got on Thunder in Appomattox and headed West, but ended up 150 miles East in Williamsburg? Man the whole world has surely turned upside down since the War of The States.

juanviejojuanviejoover 2 years ago

SO FAR SO GOOD...FIVE STARS!

juanviejojuanviejoover 2 years ago

Hey Anonymous! Look at a Kentucy map and you might realize how dumb your Williamsburg comment really was!

PurplefizzPurplefizzabout 2 years ago

To the Anon dumbass, check which Williamsburg you’re looking at, I’m a Brit and I worked it out in seconds…

Good story and I’m enjoying it, although I feel I should be sipping a good glass of Rye, whilst I’m reading it. Thanks for writing and posting, cheers Ppfzz.

DarknsDarknsalmost 2 years ago

I am enjoying reading this story immensely. Thank you

Oldsofty1961Oldsofty1961over 1 year ago

cant wait for more 5

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Lost interest at a 5'8" 'hero' for this story.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Superb period diague. I grew up appreciating manners and sorely miss them in these times.

I loved this historical element of this story and, over all,,I rather charmed by it.

THANK YOU!

Dreamdog519Dreamdog519about 1 year ago

Excellent writing! I loved the story. Thank you!

oldpantythiefoldpantythief12 months ago

Great story so far and great storytelling. Go get'm Major.

linnearlinnear6 months ago

Very well done, excellent writing. I just found your stories and I'm glad I did.

AnonymousAnonymous3 months ago

You lost me at 'served with Forrest'. Slave Trader, ordered murder of POW's, One of the founders and early leaders of the KKK.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userYouDidWhut@YouDidWhut
1583 Followers
Every god and every demon, every heaven and every hell is inside you. Hey everyone. My 20th story posted today and I wanted to say thanks because it’s been a while since I said thank you for following along. So, thank you. It means more to me than you will ever know. Thank...

READ MORE OF THIS SERIES

SIMILAR Stories