All Comments on ''Real' Fiction'

by TheWriter

Sort by:
  • 33 Comments
hadgferhadgferabout 20 years ago
'reality'

These tips could be used to improve many of the stories on the site. There are so many people who could benefit a lot from making their charachters less than perfect. So many charachters are based on fantasies and a strong dose of reality would do a world of good for a lot of them.

SeluctraSeluctraabout 20 years ago
A must-read for wannabe writers

This is a must-read for anyone that wishes to write erotica in the future. It seems that lessons taught in english or creative writing classes about how to develop characters are immediately forgotten when someone is writing an erotic story.

I take issue with the idea mentioned that rape is due to sexual frustration. It's an act of violence that is most often, if not always, driven by a desire to feel power over someone else. I acknowledge that this is probably debatable, but was my SINGLE complaint. The rest was excellent.

QuineQuinealmost 19 years ago
Real is more erotoc

I agree with you. Real people are more erotic than idealized people for a couple of reasons... Real people actually have sex with other real people, while idealized people (even those who are real) can have anyone they want. I once knew a man who was one of those adonis types who could have any woman he wanted... He very much preferred women who were very much heavier than the typical western ideal. When asked why, he pointed out that they were much better lovers, far more enthusiastic and creative than idealized women who were bored by being able to pick and choose from anyone they wanted

amber464amber464over 18 years ago
thanx for the advice

i am currently writing my first erotic story and found your ideas very useful. it has given me some good objectives to work towards whilst realising that i am already on the right track. thanx again.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 18 years ago
I feel better

It is refreshing to have someone indicate that "sex" is a reality for all of us less that perfect! Thanks!!!!!!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 18 years ago
sometimes fantasy is good

while i wholeheartedly agree with most of this, sometimes 8-inch dicks and girls with perfect porportions are a nice escape from the humdrum real world. other times, you really do want to create a realistic, solid character with flaws. other times, you want to forget you have any. ;]

but this is great material for new writers, who can start off on the write track and learn to hone what they like/don't like writing into their characters.

AnonymousAnonymousover 17 years ago
Some great advice here

Great advice and good reminders, I just wish you'd kept on going! Three more pages of advice, please!

AnonymousAnonymousover 17 years ago
Not necessarily so....

I don't agree that my stories would be more exciting with all that 'realism'. In a story I wrote, my character, a preteen girl, was severely injured in an auto accident in the Alps. Her parents were killed. Comments from my local writer's group included "Why wasn't she taken to the Ospedale Generale Regionale instead of the convent?"; "Why did the Scotch-Irish speaking nun give her a sleeping pill instead of a nurse giving her an injection which would be standard medical procedure?"; "Oh, you have to do your research!", etc., etc. As Homer would say..."Borrrring!" I am writing FICTION, not a friggin' geography book or medical manual.

1337_G1RL1337_G1RLabout 17 years ago
Nice Start

This is a good piece of advice, although there are more points that you could cover than simply the anatomical. If you want to you could also write about the need for character development in a story, even if this is just minimal. I personally find characters a greater turn on than the sex alone.

rayvynrayvynalmost 17 years ago
Great Advice!

Thanks for the advice! It does help to know that most people who read stories are pretty grounded and the stories are a form of escape, even if for a few minutes.

AudreyHepburnAudreyHepburnover 16 years ago
Thank You On Behalf Of A New Writer

This is terrific advice from a good writer and Literotica newbies should listen to this advice. Every good novel, erotic or non-erotic, mainstream/literary and in any genre -romance, mystery, thriller, historical, etc- needs elements of realism even when it's mostly fiction. There are exceptions of course such as fantasy and science fiction and supernatural horror. I write fiction and my romantic/erotic novels and series are pure fiction, the work of my imagination and are inspired by some experiences, films/TV, adult films and plain old good fantasy. I do appreciate your advice. Research is essential in the making of a fictional story which is set in our real world.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 15 years ago
well said

every thing you said is true,more reality

more so in gay male stories

kittenlovekittenloveover 14 years ago
thank you.

number 6, thank you so much for pointing that one out. I get so frustrated when I read something about rape and the victim ends up enjoying it. I know, they're just fantisies, but seriously, make it at least somewhat belivable on that part. lol.

AnonymousAnonymousover 14 years ago
reality sex

you r right.most writers get carried away and concentrate more on sexual aspects rather than on the story n human relationships.only in rare cases there is interesting conversation among the characters.so the stories become bland n tasteless.this article n the tips will no doubt help the writers to make their stories more realistic n thus more readable

arachnophile52arachnophile52over 14 years ago
Excellent advice!

Thanks for the good advice in a brief and easily understood submission. Even experienced writers need to be reminded of the advice you've offered to beginning writers.

MortebelleMortebelleover 13 years ago
helping hand

Thanks so much for writting this article. I have written poems and short literary works beofre but, I am just now attempting my first erotic stories.

I found it very helpful to have proof that people enjoy real people and situations just as much as I do

heatedreverieheatedreveriealmost 13 years ago
Feeling it

Wonderful points.

Another point I like to add to this is the more you feel the emotion of your characters and the scene as you're writing, the more realistic it will be, because you're basing it off of what feeling should come naturally in that scene. This will also add an incredible depth of emotion to your scenes that can be lost in text translation.

cittrancittranover 11 years ago
yet another helpful thing

To add to my list of favorite stories, so that I can use them as reference later; thanks!

MobiousOneMobiousOneover 10 years ago
Helpful tips for all writers

Not only is this information useful for new writers, this is also a great source of guidelines for all frequent ones. This comes in great handy to seperate a story from all of the cliché stories that are read so often

AnonymousAnonymousabout 10 years ago
Good Advice

What a wonderful piece of advice that many of the contributors would benefit from reading and following. Surely most people want to read stories that can be believed to be true rather than so unlikely as to seem impossible. I find myself frequently scanning quickly through stories to check that the "loving wife" isn't suddenly ripping her clothes off in public or doing the most outrageous things with a group of men, before I bother to read the story properly. It must be better to read of an event or of some chemistry that causes a wife to gradually weaken and allow a sexual encounter to develop.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 10 years ago
Nice tips

Not only for the amateur writers like me, also for the experienced ones. Stories that depict realities are much more entertaining and closer to the heart or lovable.

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
Please help me fellas

GUYS I'm 23 and I need some good advice. I'm 23 work hard but to shy I don't know to approach a women and when I think I got a go for it I'm lost in words and feel dumb please help me

AnonymousAnonymousabout 8 years ago
Disappointed, please edit

I appreciated much of what you said in this article, and will take it to heart in my own writing. HOWEVER, please edit your post to reflect that rape is usually about power and not about sexual frustration. If you wish to reflect that many erotica stories including coercive sex are about sexual frustration, then indicate that, but it does society no good to continue spreading falsehoods about the motivation of rape. It also makes it more acceptable for individuals (usually male) to commit rape, when they have an easy and widespread justification. Thank you for resolving this issue.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 8 years ago

Sorry but most women like large penises - thick but not long. The fantasy of 10" dicks that I see in so many stories here does nothing for most women and is often a turnoff.

As others have pointed out RAPE is not about horniness. It's an assault and the assault just happens to be sexual as that is the only way that men who rape can feel powerful

Chris57Chris57almost 7 years ago
Rape Category

I didn't think Literotica had a rape category?

I have a tendency at times with too many sex scenes, I always try to remember to add every day life and ordinary scenes.

If_U_Seek_AmyIf_U_Seek_Amyover 6 years ago

thanks for the nice article.

MysteryManXXMysteryManXXabout 6 years ago
Hello

I'm new here but I just wanted to say I read your article and it had a lot of good points.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
Thank you

Some really helpful tips that I've taken on board. I'm thinking of becoming a member and submitting some stories.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
Nice Advice

Good advice. Probably suggest people not write when they're hammered too. At least, don't publish what they write until they look at it sober.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
The Real Deal

This advice article does an excellent job at helping new writers understand the thin line between "erotica" and "porn". Sex should always the means but never the end; this applies in real life as much as in writing.

Speaking of "real life", a penis is nothing compared to the brain. Anonymous' argument is a great example of using the subtle art of "mindfuck" for harmful purposes. It's also a common foil used in Stockholm Syndrome, brainwashing, and rape sub-genres to pull the reader deeper into the story by eliciting sympathy for the protagonist.

It's a real shame that Anonymous didn't have the balls to put their name behind such an excellent contribution that helps so many other writers, because I couldn't have put it better myself!

DarkAurther6969DarkAurther6969about 2 years ago

Yes!!!!! Finally Fucking Goddamn Thank You!!!!! Some One Understands. Thank You for Pointing out a Few Points, that Really Bugs the Shit out of me. On Lit Especially, I'm Just Sick of Reading Descriptions of Male's Having Cocks the Size of a Booster Rocket or whatever with a Body that Make Arnold Schwarzenegger Look like a Skinny Weakling and Females having Breasts the Size of the Moon Each with Body's so thine that if look at them from the Side they would Literally Disappear. The Next is Yeah I Agree I just Feel like Most Authors only View Their Characters as a Means and a Sex Object for Both The Writer/Author and us the Reader, I have to admit I'm Currently Writing my Of Story Series Right now and Despite the X Rated Scenes it's a Pretty Well Developed Story just Because I Personally View all of the Characters in that story more as Friends and Less as Sex Objects, that's why it always Hurts that Pretty soon that I would have to Finish up the story and say Goodbye to them, to the Point of Tears almost. And I have to say my First Two One Off Stories was Really Embarrassing just because there is No Development what so ever for the characters and nothing but sex. To me it's Fine to Write 'Smut Stories' as I know it's called they all feel the same Man And Woman Meet at a Café In The Morning During Each Stranger's Regular Morning Routine By The Way and they Magically get a Hotel Room and have sex for the Rest of the Story. In all of these Deferent Sex Position Of Course Category Pending. Which Brings to my Final Point I'm Tired of Read 'Rape Stories' where Yes at First Usually the Female Victim May 'Try' To 'Fight And Resist' at First But in the End they 'Give In' and even have Multipole Orgasms during the Rape or whatever. All of Those Plus Continuity in Each Story and the Grammar Issues are the Reasons why I don't enjoy Reading Stories On Lit Anymore.

AnonymousAnonymous10 months ago

Good, practical advice.

Oplot-MOplot-M26 days ago

I have to agree, I had to actually look up statistics to realize that I was in a pretty good place, and that writers and directors had deceived me.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous