All Comments on 'Everyone's a Nerd!'

by rnebular

Sort by:
  • 6 Comments
Auld_HenryAuld_Henryalmost 6 years ago
I am a nerd.

I admit to am all comduminhpassion.

The bottom of the garden is screened from the house by a thick 8’ high hedge it also protects me from the cold east wind coming off the North Sea.

But I am exposed to to anyone passing by on horse back along the lane that remotely forms a little known route between two small villages.

I allow my whole body to absorb the vitamin D that is freely given by the sun.

Does the the excitement of being discovered make me a nerd or a

Pervert.

xelliebabexxelliebabexalmost 6 years ago

I liked that this challenged me to think about my nerdiness or geekiness depending on how one looked at it. Perhaps we will talk one day. After reading the Geek Pride Day entries I realise that I probably come down on the side of dungeons and dragons geek rather than science and space nerd but i have a little of both in me.

weftandwarpweftandwarpalmost 6 years ago

I think you are right. I wonder If being a nerd also involves some form of autism. I often wonder if we are all autistic to some degree. It would surprise me if we aren't. Thank you.

yowseryowseralmost 6 years ago
GA Principles

Well of course the only solution is Geekaholics Anonymous. (Duh, I just searched and it already exists so this tawdry instinctive idea of mine is out of date before it even leaves the gate...)

What should the guiding principles be? We clearly need a buddy system, which could cause all sorts of havoc.

We are powerless before the force of our intellects...

rnebularrnebularalmost 6 years agoAuthor
@yowser and GA

Made my day, and will be sending you an email too. Happy Friday!!!

LoquiSordidaAdMeLoquiSordidaAdMealmost 6 years ago
Not the same thing

I've never liked the way people use "nerd" and "geek" interchangeably. To me there has always been a difference. I fully agree that someone can be a car geek or a medical geek or even a sports geek or a gym geek. Geekdom knows no bounds. As you described, a geek (to me) is anyone who loves something and wants to express that love to others - someone who "geeks out" about something. So we're on the same page there.

A "nerd" though, has always been something different to me. A nerd manages to channel their passion into some kind of success - academic, financial, even political. Success alone dosent make a nerd, but there is something in the way a nerd handles success that causes jealousy or resentment in others. Nerds draw the ire of their peers whether they deserve to or not.

And of course it's entirely possible, even common, for a person to be both a nerd and a geek at the same time.

So good essay, rnebular. I agree with your basic premise, and you make a compelling argument. But I don't think your two subjects are as synonymous as you imply.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userrnebular@rnebular
832 Followers
4/21/2020 - I haven't posted a profile update in a long time, thought it was appropriate to do so now. I have been slowly working on several projects, but as everyone knows, life is CRAZY right now, in so many ways. That said, I have a new story for the Geek Pride event coming...