All Comments on 'Radish Man'

by ausfet

Sort by:
  • 28 Comments
waratahwaratahalmost 6 years ago
typically wonderful story

Just love your relaxed and accurate style.

And let me tell you a story about Straddie one day

CharlieB4CharlieB4almost 6 years ago
Yet another five star read.

I should have been in bed an hour ago but I just couldn’t stop. Another fantastic story of ordinary people poking their way through life as best they can. The dialogue, the situations, all so real but with that vibrant Ausfet edge. You are a grand master of storytelling. 5*

Go the Blues👍🤣

SpencerfictionSpencerfictionalmost 6 years ago
Top Notch!

Really good, entertaining and realistic adult tale of married, unmarried and married-again life. Excellent character drawing makes this a superb read, with romance and feverish sex tempered with sadness, yet still managing to be uplifting. Nicely done, so merited maximum stars from me.

SilencedsnowSilencedsnowalmost 6 years ago
I need to emotionally prepare myself

Before I read any of your stories. Another amazing 5 star tale. So much emotion. Couldn’t stop reading till it was done

weftandwarpweftandwarpalmost 6 years ago

Thank you. I interpreted this as a study of marital dominance. The first stages of what I have come to know weren't mentioned, where the woman comes into the home and scrubs every thing clean, though it is already clean. She normally scrubs off paint so the house has to be painted. Then she chooses the colours which will be feminine. Then the furniture will look terrible and need to be replaced. She gets access to his bank account. She chooses and rearranges everything. Then she has control of fertility and exercises it. He is basically moved out of the house because he feels like a guest in it. He goes to the shed, the big half of which is hers for storing the furniture they replaced. The wedding was her day. Fertility and pregnancy is her time. Parenting is her time too, he has been excluded from it for so long, by necessity and her choice, that he can't contribute on equal terms. She screams at him and further reinforces her control. Typically, the man is thoroughly alienated and subordinated. Some of this came into your story. I was delighted to see it because I identified with it. I found it very insightful.

I thought the "gift " left by Luke for Vaughn was the last thing Vaughn would have benefited from. It would have further reinforced his subservience and contributed to further alienation. The story showed Vaughn was capable of parenting when he was free of his wife. Her control of the finances and his ignorance of them showed how dominant she was and this needed to be addressed too. There is no where for men to get support in such circumstances. I have known some who have suicided. Others have moved out to go nowhere. A few have been aggressive. Gaol and community condemnation is always the risk for the male. Vaughn was lucky he had another woman.

I would have liked it if the issue of dominance had been addressed more. The home spun philosophies of Luke didn't quite ring true for me because they were simplistic and self serving. I loved the language in this. It was very effective and lent an air of authenticity. I loved the way the wind chime man was described. It would have been good to know a little more about his wife. He seemed to be doing his best in a role that was no longer needed, caring for the family who had departed. A very isolated individual I thought.

I loved the way the story evolved and moved on to challenge preconceptions as I read. It is a very good attempt at studying marital domination. It is a subject that isn't often dealt with and requires bravery to do. You described both female and male aspects of it. Normally one only reads of the female perspectives. For that there is a special thank you.

Well done and again, thank you. 5.

RashomanSingaporeRashomanSingaporealmost 6 years ago

Fabulous story at all levels - when I read it I was there in Aussie land and it encourages me to try and do better with mine.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 6 years ago
Excellent

This story had sense realism that so many others here do not. The messiness of a breakup and possible reconciliation showed through. Very well done.

johntcookseyjohntcookseyalmost 6 years ago
So excited...

...to see your new submission. I’ll comment more when I can read it through after work eases a bit. “Sunflowers” is still in my reading queue too. Thanks.

TotalStrangerTotalStrangeralmost 6 years ago
Great story.

Weftandwarp's commentary was deftandsharp. Also, it demonstrated the effects of allowing psychologists to read your work.

johntcookseyjohntcookseyalmost 6 years ago
Fabulous

Wonderful characters. Complex and nuanced and so real. At first I thought it might be like “The Swagman” with an utterly detestable husband, but you managed to resuscitate Vaughn, albeit with a strong dose of contrition and humiliation. I’m so glad to see you submit again. You are a phenomenally talented storyteller.*****

ender2k2kender2k2kalmost 6 years ago
Thank you for another wonderful story.

The characters are fully fleshed out and believable.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 6 years ago
For once...

Come on, for once let the girl get the older man! Let her be the one woman that the older man falls for. So many times the older man succumbs to the his old ways and ends up alone, never have knowing real love. I didn't like the fact that Luke basically told her to go back to her husband. Rather than go back to her husband, she should have left them both.

tennesseeredtennesseeredalmost 6 years ago
Just excellent!

Another great story from Ausfet with full characters, an interesting plot, realistic dialogue...the works. Budding authors would do well to study her stories to see how she does it. First class work!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 6 years ago
An adult story about adults.

Five stars! I am unfamiliar with your work so this tale just laid me out. What a wonderful gift you have! The people feel real and the emotions are real and painful and joyful and complex. We humans are messy and our interactions are fraught with idiocy and misapprehensions. We have such an ability to do the wrong thing.

It seems as if many of the readers here live in a binary world, while reality is loaded with gray.

Thank you for a story with developed characters and no simplistic answers.

R.

RioRedKingRioRedKingalmost 6 years ago
Brilliant

You have given us a wonderful adult story. Thank you.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 6 years ago
Not erotica

Reasonably well written, decent character development, etc. But the sex scenes were weak and hot sex is rather the point of reading here.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 6 years ago
Magnificent, shoul be rated much higher.

Great sex and wonderful narrative, full of humanity and insight from the two main characters. Please, please keep writing - IMHO there are very few to match you when you really get down to it.

Al G

tazz317tazz317almost 6 years ago
NOW AFTER THEY BOTH MADE CHOICES AND ALTERNATE DECISCIONS

even with Melly=Belly what will happen, TK U MLJ LV NV

Crusader235Crusader235almost 6 years ago
Really

A really good adults with problems read. Very good narritive, and the sex was hot too. Five stars from this old reader.

Richie4110Richie4110over 5 years ago
Well Done

Insightful, well developed story that left me hoping for her to make a good decision for herself. Luke was a island of solitude that allowed her to become a better whole person than before.

Thanks for a great read.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
She should cuck Vaughn.

He’d deserve it, too. Just leave Melody with him on a Friday and come back home on a Sunday. No questions allowed. Visit the farm and tend to the plowing. Perhaps Windchime Man could provide an occasional diversionary interlude if he should be there. Momma deserves it.

avidfaavidfaover 5 years ago
Excellent,

serious, adult story. This fits into a very select group of top stories here. Well done.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
Good job!!!

When my husband did this same thing, I agreed to let him come home. However, I did not agree to re-marry. I was never able to fully trust him again. The relationship was okay, sometimes more than okay. The unmarried, forgiven adultery sex was better than before the divorce. There's a lot to be said for trying harder! With that said, I can tell you, I'd never let Luke go.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 5 years ago
Ending?

Sorry, that ending doesn’t work. When the majority of the story has succeeded in depicting Vaughn as destructive villain and Luke as supportive hero, there’s no grounds for suddenly switching them at the end. It feels like an outcome decided in advance by the author, rather than choices those two characters (Jackie, Luke) would have made. (I was cheering for them to find a way to make it work in spite of the age difference.)

Perhaps it could be argued that getting back together with an ex-husband is more like “real life.” But people don’t visit an erotica website to read about real life.

ohioohioalmost 5 years ago
You are just a wonderful, wonderful writer!

Thanks so much for this story, and for your other work--

ohio

VeronicaArdeVeronicaArdeabout 3 years ago
Great story with a female centre point of view.

I truly enjoyed this short story, he has able to convey a female point of view,

regarding relationships and sex.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

There is a great deal of reality here. Contrary to the fantasies written by some of the most prolific authors in this community, children often alter their parents’ relationship, and sometimes it’s not for the better. It would be perfectly ok to imagine a loving couple, totally devoted to each other, who choose to remain child free. Perhaps one day I’ll write such a tale and post it here.

Peter_ClevelandPeter_Clevelandover 2 years ago

This is the first story I've read by ausfet. I am impressed. This may be the very best story I have read on Literotica. The voice on the page (like the main character herself) is complex, engaging, attractive, mature, and very realistic. An excellent achievement. The character Luke, too, has some nice complexity and subtlety.

Probably like most readers, I was rooting for the narrator to find long-term happiness with Luke. But her return to Vaughn at the end was made plenty plausible too, so I had no problems with the ending. In fact, I rather enjoyed having my cliche' expectations overturned.

That climactic scene--when she presents Vaughn with tangible evidence of her sexuality with Luke, and Vaughn passes the test--was beautifully done.

My main suggestion for improving the story is a small and subtle one: Introduce one or two subtle references to (what are later shown to be) the mitigating/extenuating facts of Vaughn's life--for instance his early poverty--early in the narrative. Just lay a little bit of the foundation--without letting the reader perceive what you are doing--for the major plot twist at the end: the heroine's decision to give Vaughn another chance.

A super job, ausfet! 5 stars.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userausfet@ausfet
387 Followers
Don't get too excited, I'm not dead. Thanks to everyone who has emailed, voted and commented. Thanks also to the lovely folk who have edited my stories and provided advice. About me: 38, married, two kids, two dogs, live in Brisbane. To answer some of the most commonly...