All Comments on 'Common Errors Ch. 01'

by velvetpie

Sort by:
  • 19 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousover 16 years ago

At last! Someone took the time to point out these jarring errors in usage that are very common. I hope many will read these and, better still, absorb them.

Thanks,

RJ

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 16 years ago
Hey fucknut

You do know this is erotica right? shut the fuck up with this spelling shit.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 16 years ago
And obviously, fucknut ...

You're one of the ones who needs it the most!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 15 years ago
A Voice Crying In The Wilderness

I am so grateful to see that there are people here who understand that poor writing detracts from the story. I have come across potential stories that for lack of basic knowledge of language were completely unreadable! Unfortunately, I believe that the people who need it the most, will be less likely to take the gift of knowledge you have put out there. I do want to go on record as saying, good job and thank you!

Gary13Gary13almost 14 years ago
Hey, fucknut, yourself!

I got a chuckle out of the ignorant criticizing the knowledgeable. As someone said earlier, the ones who need it most will be the ones who don't get it.

Well done, but it only scratches the surface. Nice start, though.

Gary13

AnonymousAnonymousover 13 years ago

A good start. However, you need to further clarify the use of affect and effect as your definitions seem to imply that their definition means to influence.

WyltEmrysWyltEmrysabout 12 years ago

Excellent series of articles, but you stumbled coming out of the gate here, starting with the extraneous 'B' at the end of the first subheading. Also, you highlighted the word 'that' in your example sentence for 'their'.

In the next section, you left an incomplete sentence: 'There is also another meaning for it, which is less'... I am guessing you were going to continue with 'common', and describe the meaning of affect that describes emotion, or the expression of emotion? In Psychology, this is used quite often, especially in clinical settings describing DSM-IV symptomology, such as flattened affect (blunted or lack of emotional expression, or physical signs of emotion) or inappropriate affect (showing exaggerated emotional responses, or responses that do not match the situation at hand, as in hysterical laughter at the death of a character in an emotional movie).

I would also argue that the best way to disambiguate the meaning of effect/affect when both are used as verb is that effect is a stronger, more physical cause and effect approach, and affect is a somewhat less physical, more emotional or mental approach. You can effect a change on an object, and affect the way someone views you or reacts to something you do or say. Out of all the common errors you present in this series of articles, this is the one that is least cut and dried, and most open to individual preference of word choice.

In your lay/lie example for lie, you use lay in your example sentence! You can lay down your life for someone, or lie down besides them in bed.

I'd also like to point out one additional use for the word 'their'. There seems to be a trend to avoid the old-school (formal) use of the word 'one' when describing an ambiguous object or number of people in a sentence, which is fine by me because the old style usage is highly stilted, and is almost never heard anymore. However, substituting s/he (s)he or he/she is just as bad, and possibly worse, in my opinion. There is a third option: bring back the third-person indeterminate 'their'. For example, if you have neighbors who are husband and wife, you go to visit 'their house', not 'his or her house', unless you were just specifically referring to one member of the couple, in which case you might use 'his house' or 'her house'.

In the old school form, it would be written 'one should try to do one's best on the exam'. Ugh! Saying 'he/she should try to do his or her best' is just as bad! So, why not try 'students should try to do their best' or 'a student should try to do their best' when it is not clear whether the student is male or female. There are plenty of other similar uses for 'their', but I'm going to step off of my soapbox now. :-)

Anyway, an excellent series of articles. Very inclusive list of commonly confused and misused words. I can't think of anything you left out, but if I find any more, I'll be sure to post them to your comments, for inclusion in future installments!

shoeslayershoeslayerover 11 years ago
Thanks so much!

HI, I want to say "Thanks so much! "

I have been asked if English is my second

language and it is NOT. I am sure I just

got careless. Talking is one thing, but trying to

write with the wrong words is only going to

get me low scores and rotten remarks.

I am going to rell all your articles.

AnonymousAnonymousover 11 years ago
AFFECT vs EFFECT!

Your use of "effect" in your second example "to effect a change" is incorrect. You do something to "affect" a change. Check out Strunk & White!

AnonymousAnonymousover 11 years ago
Strunk and White (whoever they might be) are WRONG.

Effect a change is correct.

AnonymousAnonymousover 11 years ago
google it!

To Anomyous--this is not meant to be a "flame," but you might want to "google" Strunck &White. It (The Elements of Style) has been the standard for College Comp I courses for over 50 years.

Other authorities have simplified the "affect/effect" issue to this formula--except for the field of psychology, "affect" is a verb, "effect" is a noun, usually preceded by the word "the." I do have a concern that velvetpie has not given credit to the authors of this "Common Error . . ." material--do you know the word plagerism?

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 9 years ago

I r just incredulas of us wurd usage

SamWarrensSamWarrensover 7 years ago
AMEN!

I hear the choir!

ObiDongKenobiObiDongKenobiover 6 years ago
Cue The Effect

The attitude to the use of "to effect a change" will depend on where in the world you learnt/learned English. It's perfectly acceptable in UK English.

Also a cue is the stick used by both snooker and billiards players.

MartyMBMartyMBover 5 years ago
Auto-correct and autocompleete

These two common tools are a helpful time saver As Long As You Ensure That It Changed Your Text To The Correct Word. Too often a writer is given a few choices and the writer picks the wrong one. I've also seen many cases where some word, not even in the list of choices, is used. Inserting words in a sentence of terrorism cause problems meaning that gibberish ends up in your text.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
AMEN

Literotica should require every new writer to read (or at least make them aware of) these How To submissions by velvetpie. Could a notice of them be made to writers already actively submitting stories?

To one who has read widely in Literotica, the need is obvious, and, in some cases flagrant. Literotica has writers so good, they could be paid professionals, published with little or no editing. Others so bad, readers give up reading. Slirpuff may be better now, but he has some really good, interesting stories that are hampered by his English ability. And his verbal ability to express ideas in English is interesting and compelling -- just not his ability to get it in proper written English form. Slirpuff is by no means the worst on Literotica. I enjoy his stories, regardless.

The words discussed are mostly homonyms, that is, words pronounced the same, but having different meanings. They do not show up on spell-check, because they are real.words.. "I saw her their" has "there" misspelled, but since "their" is a word, spell-check will not notify. I have seen this type of error numerous times in Literotica stories.

Affect/effect. Examples:

The director of the city playhouse affected the mood of the play by effecting lighting changes. The effect was increased attendance.

This means: The director of the city playhouse changed/altered the mood of the play by bringing about/accomplishing lighting changes. The result/outcome was increased attendance.

Paul in Oklahoma

POMPEDEPUISARDPOMPEDEPUISARDalmost 4 years ago

very useful. My bugaboo is when a character "smells" something. Oft described as an odor. To me the term is a negative. if what the character is smelling is attractive hows about being a bit more positive by using scent or aroma.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

I believe that 90% of the spelling and grammar mistakes on this site can be avoided if only for one forgotten practice. It used to be a natural part of the writing process. What happened? Whatever happened to PROOFREADING???

highshine808highshine808about 2 years ago

some exposition on alternate meaning of the word 'lie' might also be valuable.

what are the differences in meaning between 'laying a lie' and 'lying a lay'?

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous