All Comments on 'In a Sunburned Country - Coming Soon'

by Literotica

Sort by:
  • 32 Comments
ikaiserikaiseralmost 6 years ago
Interesting concept.

Looking forward to reading the Aussie themed story’s.

Being Australian myself it will be interesting to see how accurate the overseas authors are of the Australian culture and our way of life.

I wish I had the writing ability of a lot of the authors on here and be able to contribute to it.

etchiboyetchiboyalmost 6 years ago
All I know about Australia...

...I learned from National Geographics (and later The Discovery Channel), a couple of Disney TV movies, and the movies “Crocodile Dundee” and “Mad Max”. Oh, and Steve Irwin (GRHS). I don’t suppose someone like me could contribute?

ChloeTzangChloeTzangalmost 6 years ago
All you know about Australia?

Hi Etchiboy - that sounds like more than enough groundwork to get yourself going. Look up a dictionary of Aussie slang, watch Crocodile Dundee and some old Steve Irwin docos and you're good. A couple of Aussies have volunteered to help anyone who needs a bit of Aussie background so give it a try.

ReedRichardsReedRichardsalmost 6 years ago
Is an Aussie two piece bathing suit . . .

. . . really a bikini bottom and a hat?

DFWBeastDFWBeastalmost 6 years ago
Fantastic!

Thank you Chloe! I always like to read stories set in places I've never been. Look forward to those set in the Land of Oz!

Killian

javmor79javmor79almost 6 years ago
I've only been to Australia once, and that was a decade ago

So my knowledge of it is limited to distant memories of the short fling I had while there. If I were more knowledgeable, I would write a story for this.

blackrandl1958blackrandl1958almost 6 years ago
Yay!!

An event! Very good. I am sure many fine stories will be written. Way to go. Seize the moment and run with it. I wish you and the event all the best. Randi.

luedonluedonalmost 6 years ago
For Etchiboy, Javmor and others wondering about The Land Down Under

Don't worry about lack of knowledge about the Wide Brown Land. Just write an ordinary story and add sharks, crocodiles, funnelwebs, taipans, dingoes, box jellyfish and blue-ringed octopus for guaranteed success.

Serious authors here such as Vandemonium and xellibabex write stories that could be set anywhere. The most localised serious author is Ausfet (see her brilliant 'Payback', currently up to Ch.3 in Novels. It could only be written in Australia.) CharlieB4 also does bush local very well.

Parodies work well. Barry McKenzie and Crocodile Dundee are good examples. Remember, Australia is the world's most urbanised country. It's the world's biggest island with most of its population huddled around the edge. But the myth is of the rugged bushman, the Outback, and The Man From Snowy River. In reality, most of the middle is empty.

We celebrate glorious failure. It is one of the few differences between us and those of a North American persuasion. Our national day is Anzac Day, celebrating an attempted landing and retreat in Turkey during WW1. Burke and Wills were just two of several heroic explorers who set off into the outback, got lost and died.

Just write about the stereotypes. I doubt that authors who had stories in the other Story Events such as the Westerns needed personal experience to write good stories.

Best of luck with your story,

Lue

luedonluedonalmost 6 years ago
Ps: I forgot the Vegemite

Everything goes better with Vegemite. And it's much more acceptable now that an Australian manufacturer has bought it back from Kraft. It was always an embarrassment that an Australian icon was owned by a USA company.

Lue

col_lovercol_loveralmost 6 years ago
Hey Leu

You forgot the wild pigs, that will rip you apart as soon as look at you. A gangbang on top of Ayers Rock could be good fun. As a Aussie I am looking forward to the stories. A Wicked Weasel is the best bikini in Australia. Cheers Colin.

luedonluedonalmost 6 years ago
No Col

Nothing on Ayers Rock (Uluru). For many years the local aboriginal people have been trying to have climbing the rock banned, and it's about to happen.

A Japanese tourist died the other day climbing it.

But the razorback pigs definitely could add some excitement to a story. Thanks for the reminder. A Literotica version of the 1984 Razorback movie would even outdo anything Vandemonium could dream up when it comes to violent retribution.

Lue

26thNC26thNCalmost 6 years ago
Great news

Looking forward to these stories. Only had one trip to Australia, but it was a great one. Great people, but lots of critters who would be happy to kill you. Please let Vande 1 post in this one.

CrkcpprCrkcppralmost 6 years ago
Will there be any drop bears ?

Please for the love of everything Holy , someone write a story featuring those most bloodthirsty of all things Down Under , the vicious drop bears !

AntidariusAntidariusalmost 6 years ago
Great Idea!

This could be fun... I'm in :)

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 6 years ago
Just be accurate and please do some research on Oz

As a proud Australian i think this a brillant idea and look forward to the results, all I ask it that overseas writers please do some research on my nation and our lifestyles so the stories can be as real as possible, theres nothing as disappointing when the same old cliches about us are used..We're not all like Steve Irwin and Kangaroos don't hop down our cities main roads its all I ask!

ChloeTzangChloeTzangalmost 6 years ago
Will there be any drop bears? By the love of all that's unholy, you betcha!

Okay, you wanted a story featuring those most bloodthirsty of all things Down Under , the vicious drop bears! I have decided this shall be my contribution to the Event. In the same spirit as my "A Troll is Haunting Tex's", "Chloe" and "Steve" are heading for Australia, hot on the trail of the elusive but pathologically vicious Drop Bears in their natural habitat. "On the Trail of Thylarctos Plummetus," coming to you on 6 November, 2018.

ArdentHemingwayArdentHemingwayalmost 6 years ago
Rule 34 of Quigley Down Under?

I may need to watch the movie again for any potential. Please don't make me watch that movie again.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
Some corrections from a Kiwi

Ok, firstly I am not an Aussie, but a Kiwi. For the uninitiated, that means I am a New Zealander. New Zealand is a separate country, separated by the Tasman Sea from Australia, three hours flying time away.

Australia is our nearest neighbour, excluding a few minor islands like Norfolk Island - well its part of Aussie anyway! So, in my lifetime, I have been there a number of times, 10 or 11 I reckon. And I know many Australians, one of my rellies is married to one, and my best mate also married one. Both of them live there.

So, the corrections. ANZAC Day is NOT their National Holiday. Australia Day is, it is on 26th January. But it is “Mondayised” so if it falls on a weekend, Aussies get the Monday off in lieu.

ANZAC Day, 25th April, is commemorated by both our countries to honour our war dead and wounded, and those who served and are still serving in the armed forces. It is a solemn and dignified event, usually ending at noon, to allow those of us who owe much to others’ sacrifices to enjoy sport and recreation in the afternoon.

It is the equivalent of Armistice Day and Memorial Day in other countries,

The centre of Australia is not “empty” but populated by many ranchers, townsfolk in the many big and small inland towns and of course many indigenous peoples, commonly referred to as “aborigines”, and who have a proud and long history of settlement.

Anyway, enough about Australia. I am a longtime reader here at Lit, but perhaps it’s time I became a writer. Having been to some nudist resorts there, and with a passion for the clothes-free lifestyle, I think I will Sign Up.

KIWIW

JayKenwayJayKenwayover 5 years ago

Now do you go for a bush ballad or have it in a more modern setting. I think the former would be a good insight for our overseas friends to get a glimpse into our colonial past. I really hope someone does go for that.

And for anyone who needs to get the slang for the modern setting correct, you need to know the distinction between the terms mate and cunt. For example, a guy cuts in front of you at the pub when you've been waiting your turn, you'd say "Watch it, mate" with animosity in your voice. But say I'm referring to my cool friend, "Marty, oh yeah he's a sick cunt!" If you want to come across as genuine, this difference is imperative.

I'm also keen to see what the other interpretations of Australia are considering the majority of stereotypes the world lean on are from the 80s (Crocodile Dundee, Shrimp on the barbie, etc.)

fecklefeckleover 5 years ago
Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi Oi.

We don't really do that a lot, and half the population are embarrassed by it. I'd like to see some of our older "lingo" get a run. The terms "cobber" "Strewth" etc would be really interesting to revive through here.

Great idea and I am looking forward to reading. I'm not a writer by any stretch of the imagination, so just be happy you don't have to troll through anything more than my comments. lol.

BlackJackSteeleBlackJackSteeleover 5 years ago
FLAT OUT LIKE A LIZARD DRINKIN'

I started a story a year or so ago about Australia's modern-day cowboys and their love-lives. Sadly, I ended up waltzing my matilda on the wallaby and never got around to finishing it.

When I finally found my way back to the ol' homestead I started on another yarn which, although originally a short story, has ended up becoming a novel. That led to a second novel. I'm still working on both of them. But each of them is now at a stage where I can set it on a flat rock at the edge of the campfire and let it stew like a billy of ringer's tea for a while.

This competition gives me the kick up the arse I needed to pull the original story out of the paddock, give it a rub down and bring it back into the round yard to complete its breaking-in. I'll have it finished, polished and lookin' schmick, ready to hit the track with the other runners when the barriers open on Melbourne Cup day.

Thank you

marriedpervsmarriedpervsover 5 years ago
Aussie author here. Fun theme

I'll have a crack. Bonza topic, mate.

Love, Dee

A.k.a. Marriedpervs.

Lots of aussie stories on my stories page.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
True Blue

As a True Blue Aussie I welcome the focus on our absolutely brilliant country. But, Australia is more than the Steve Irwin (Australia Zoo is just down the road from us here on the Sunshine Coast) and Crocodile Dundee stereotypes.

Australia is one of the more diversified countries in the modern world with a great mix of races, religions and cultures . . but take warning, if coming/migrating to Australia be prepared to adopt our more casual, laid back lifestyle. We usually disregard whingers, especially Pommies and Yanks.

The majority of Australians live on the coastal fringe where the climate is better, but the centre of Australia does have a rural population in a varied landscape. Think huge crop farms in the Darling Downs, wineries in all states (yes, Australia does have great wines and better beers), to the cattle/sheep stations (no, not a ranch..station geddit) that are bigger in size than some European countries. Just for fun "google" Australian Road Trains to see how we handle large freight movements over large distances where there are no rail services.

Being largely city dwellers, most do not conform to the previously mentioned stereotypes, but lead interesting, varied lifestyles.

Did I mention we punch above our weight in the sporting arena ?? and try superimposing Australia over USA map to ascertain the actual size.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
Walkabout

Does nobody remember Walkabout? Yes, I know many saw Jenny Agutter unclothed and remember the film for that. But what about the landscapes and sunsets of Nicolas Roeg? I saw Walkabout early 1979 on a Monday evening in sunny England (well, not quite). The next day, I was called in by manager who told me I should be looking somewhere else to work. All I could think of was those haunting, sensuous sunsets and landscapes. Sigh!

luedonluedonover 5 years ago
Make your story uniquely Australian

Don't forget to change prime ministers several times when giving background to your story.

There's only 25 million of us, and it looks like we'll all get a turn if we keep on having political insurrections at the current rate. Maybe your lead character could be chief plotter for the next overthrow.

Lue

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
Can't wait...

Aussie here and the intro from Chloe Tzang summed it up perfectly.

Can't wait to read the stories!

Oh, by the way Chloe...feel free to come back anytime I'll let Tourism Australia know and they can arrange your flights.

C

FrikaFrikaover 5 years ago
G’day mate

Yeah , I know the old cliche says it all above,but hoping to throw something together in a coherent sort of way, based upon a recent trip I took out west to western Queensland . I’m typing on a phone and will edit it myself before submission. If I had access to some of the stories I wrote when I was younger I could have submitted them for the first time on literotica but unfortunately they have fallen into the abyss we call old shut down websites in the internet... so here goes, coffee ,cigarettes and a fresh view to a story from down under ... let the ideas flow to all the authors writing for this story event , cheers👍

LemonLimeBittersLemonLimeBittersover 5 years ago
How interesting, perspectives

I wonder, how others see Australia and what uniquely Australian means (to the Aussies here and others).

@Luedon, love your comment about our rotating prime ministers.

green117green117over 5 years ago
well...

Thanks to the comments for the Wicked Weasel idea - Hey, Britease - go look it up and check out the models - quite up your alley some of them, and for some "clignotants" do come to mind. Curious to me how the ideals of femininity seem to change as you shift countries. What is it about us 'mericans and, welll... heavy girls?

A back door cheating tale in Coober Pedy seems like it would be choice... some kind of class struggle/wife finding her mojo tale also seems a bit obvious... a historical and "19 Crimes"... and of course a run away husband and the outback, with a bit of second chance abo thrown in...

Pity I can't write.

I look forward to the stories.

Green-something

FrikaFrikaover 5 years ago
A Sunburnt Country story

Ok, I finally finished it , something for Chloe to peruse , that she’s probably never heard of before... enjoy Spinifex , Cheers all .

HarddaysknightHarddaysknightover 5 years ago
I'm looking forward to learning a bit about

The Land Down Under. My knowledge of that fine continent is limited to a few movies, some historical novels and the ravings of a pickaxe wielding narcissist with numerous IDs and very little imagination. Sorry, Lue. This should be a great opportunity for those of us on the other side of the Equator to learn more about our (more or less) English speaking cousins and their wicked sense of humor.

FrikaFrikaover 5 years ago
A Sunburnt Country Story again

Ok. Pushed out a quick story idea today from watching the dogs playing in the back yard, that’s about it, 2 stories, I surprised myself actually. 14 hours later DropBear is done, from start to finish. Self edited as usual, hope ya all get ya mugs into tho DropBear Story, public disclaimer in case any one gets any funny ideas. I’ve never had to dispose of a body before but the idea sounded feasible. Enjoy :)

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userLiterotica@Literotica
2090 Followers
Hello world! The 2023 Literotica Special Contests Schedule is here: https://forum.literotica.com/threads/the-lit-2023-special-contest-schedule.1578846/ The 2023 Literotica Author-Organized Challenge List is here: https://forum.literotica.com/threads/author-organized-challeng...