All Comments on 'Al·Gharb·2'

by Lauren Hynde

Sort by:
  • 10 Comments
twelveoonetwelveooneabout 19 years ago
*

nice rocks;

I am struck by two words here, first "grammar" then "decipher". "decipher" does work in the context of the sentence, but why that word choice, as if a challedge, to a code. "concentrate" what is it, these "symbols", "sumptuous at times", as if the deeper meaning is waiting to be discovered, or uncovered, by someone better than I.

Would have been better without:

"grammar

at times"

BWTF do I know

Lauren HyndeLauren Hyndeabout 19 years agoAuthor
RE: twelveoone

I'm not going to add anything in way of an explanation to your comment, but only note how close you may have come to answer your own doubts concerning the poem.

"Grammar" - while forming a common body of terms with "decipher", "pages", and the recursive references to speech in the first poem of the series - can also be interpreted to mean "the basic principles of an area of knowledge".

The grammar of light, at times sumptuous, at times dry, with its sêmas of light and shadow, is waiting to be deciphered.

I hope this sheds some light on it.

LuciousBi-Writes4ULuciousBi-Writes4Uabout 19 years ago
good

nice one Lauren! ;)

Kisses,

T

My Erotic TaleMy Erotic Taleabout 19 years ago
shorelines tempo

<grin> ...I enjoyed your poetry,

twelveoonetwelveooneabout 19 years ago
*

Whoa, good one Lauren. I get it, I'm supposed to decipher what you mean by "grammar", without punctuation as a guide. How close of me. Huidobro. Grammar is an abstract concept, this word playing against some of the others, takes it into the region of "it must be important because it is so nebulous". You have asked words to do something, for the most part they succeed, but there it begins to disintegrate.

I see those three words as a miss, a swinging for the fence, instead of a good solid double, an SO. Hitting air. Get on base.

AngelineAngelineabout 19 years ago
Beautiful

I've been reading these Al-Gharb poems with great pleasure. The photos are stunning and the poems are a fascinating balance of spare and lush--which really is a structural complement to the photos. And I have no problem with "grammar" used in this context--a grammar is a system of syntactical rules that govern language in the strictest sense but a "grammar" as a means of understanding can have qualities, like aridity for example--I understand that this is meant in a metaphorical sense. Works for me. All poems have metaphors. Readers need to infer and they get what they get from it, which may or may not be what the writer intended, but that's poetry. This poem communicates, at least to me. :)

My Erotic TaleMy Erotic Taleabout 19 years ago
mentioned

Your Poem was mentioned on the thread

"New Poems Reviews"

thanks for the journey~

AnonymousAnonymousover 18 years ago
Very strong

The use of "grammar" clearly evokes the play of light as a form of communication. This is a well-written and interesting poem.

Sorry I am so late in getting to these!

Fly

LeBrozLeBrozover 17 years ago
~~

Here's another premium piece

Writing and photo stark and austere

Complementing each other;

See the photo then read the words

Look back at the photo and see how it's changed;

The power of suggestive words.

LeBrozLeBrozabout 17 years ago
~~

This poem was mentioned in the Archival Review thread, in a picking through Lit's archive of over 34,000 poems.

----------

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous