All Comments on 'Lucifer: The Real Story?'

by werebare

Sort by:
  • 8 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousabout 19 years ago
Why...

Why do stupid Christians automaticaly assume that everything has to be connected to their own religion when in reality Christianity stole pretty much everything from other religions. Everything about Christianity is disgusting and evil yet they insist in their stubborn belief that they are 'the right way.'

I liked this essay but I wished that you showed more of the evils and truths of Christianity.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 19 years ago
Research first

I don't know what you think you know about Lucifer, but I'd advise you not to believe everything you see on TV.

Any half decent theologian will tell you that there is no Lucifer. He never existed.

There was a Satan, who 'rebelled' against God, but no 'light bringer' angel.

The whole Lucifer thing was a mistranslation of Hebrew text.

IIRC, that bit in the bible actually referred to the King of Babylon, aka Venus, the morning star, blah blah blah... but I don't remember exactly where it went wrong.

Oh, and Christianty isn't all that bad, once you get past the zealots and Nazis.

katnip_21fkatnip_21fabout 19 years ago
Not Bad

Perhaps you should try reading Paradise Lost by Milton. That is where the mythology of the war in Heaven is fleshed out into the version that is well known today. I actually did a term paper on a similar subject. I explored the political side of Paradise Lost and asserted that free will cannot exist in a world where God is omniscient and omnipotent. Along the same lines, is it really free will when you choose to worship a god because he will punish you if you don't worship him? You've got a good start on your essay here, but I suggest more research.

werebarewerebareabout 17 years agoAuthor
Like it? I wrote it.

OK, I just came back to this for the first time in 2 years.

Replies to the comments:

1. The guy who wonders why Christians relate everything to Christianity: I'm not a Christian, and I don't think it's "the right way". But neither can I accept that "Everything about Christianity is disgusting and evil", when the teachings of Christ himself are basically pretty sound. Note, I'm talking about his teachings, not about what St Paul and later people bent them into.

And as to bias: I was brought up in a culturally Christian society (the UK), so naturally that's the mythos that I based this idea on. If I'd been born and brought up with some other faith (or none) as the cultural milieu, no doubt I'd have different imagery to write about.

2. The guy who thinks I got my ideas from TV: I get my input from books, I hardly ever watch TV. And I'm not especially interested in the ideas of theologians, whether they are halfway decent, entirely decent, or downright indecent. Your opinions do reflect a common viewpoint; mine happens to be different. Nobody can know what the facts are about something that happened 2000 years ago when JC was perhaps around; and in the event that something similar to the War in Heaven actually happened, it was far more completely separated from our current experience than that.

3. Paradise Lost: I've read bits of it. If I was writing a formal paper, I'd maybe do the research you suggest. But this was just a bit of philosophy I dreamed up one night and thought was worth writing down.

Thanks to all three of you for your comments, in the unlikely event that you ever come back here and see this repsonse!

JuliroseJuliroseabout 17 years ago
"Great minds think alike."

I have been thinking about the whole "Lucifer" mythos and have been considering a rewrite of the entire concept. What?!? I'm pretty sure that the Catholic Church has taken liberties with the storyline to promote their religious agenda at some point in history. (Not all Popes were saints.) It is nice to know that someone else out there has followed the same logical bent.

HibbidyhaiHibbidyhaiover 16 years ago
Nice idea

I think that really is an excellent idea, and definently a reasonable arguement. Actually a lot of the old testament borrowes ideas fromm other religions that existed in Ancient times. It's not too nice to single out Christianity though, the Old testament is in the Jewish torah and Muslim Koran as well. And what makes christianity christianity is all in the new testament, which is totally original. (More or less.)

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 10 years ago
oops

"Eventually Lucifer decided that he had to do something about this, so he introduced the concepts of evil and chaos into God's previously perfect world. [] but what he truly did was to introduce to Mankind 'the knowledge of Good and Evil'."

oops! you assert :

"In the Beginning, as the Good Book has it, there was God. God created the world in the form that He wanted it... "

that is, ALL of it including the good and the evil. so Lucifer could perhaps point it out, allow recognition of it, or other. not create. been done by god. Oops.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 9 years ago
near, but not accurate

In the Bible, God is rather genocidal, and slays over 25 million people.

He commands adoration and worship, like a narcissistic tyrant.

He plans to burn all who disagree with him, including Lucifer, in a lake of eternal fire.

Now who is good, and who is evil? Lucifer, who never kills anyone in the bible, or the serial-genocidalist and dictator of a divine north-korea, Yahweh?

I like how ''radical'' you go, but the truth is a few phases MORE radical, sadly.

Sincerely,

Ignifer.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous