All Comments on 'Hypocrisy in our Free Speech'

by MrMaddness

Sort by:
  • 8 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousalmost 19 years ago
Major Conflicts and Republicans

I would certainly call WWII a major conflict, and it was "presided over" by FDR and HST. HST sent our troops to Korea, and JFK was the first President to send U.S. servicemen to Vietnam. LBJ had sent in over 250,000 troops by the time his term ended. All four, as you know, were Democrats.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 19 years ago
You're off on one point.

"Have you seen a school shooting in say, New York or California? No, they aren't in the bible belt region, where most school shootings take place."

Yes, it happens quite fequently but it's only news when white kids do the shooting! Every day in Philadelphia, New York, Detroit, Atlantic City, Miami etc. there is violence and often it includes shooting. A Philadelphia school teacher once remarked that a rewarding teaching day is one in which you haven't been shot, stabbed, beaten or sexually assaulted by one or more of your "students".

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 19 years ago
right on

theres a problem with the whole Janet Jackson nipple/breast exposure thing -HER NIPPLE WAS NOT EXPOSED, her nipple jewelry, that covered her entire nipple was exposed. You can see more nipples during the broacast of a supermodel fashion show. I don't get why you can say damn on tv and they bleep out the god part when you say goddamn. The FCC is a bunch of retards with no brains or balls.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 19 years ago
Censorship or Decency?

Speaking of credibility, you lost what little you had remaining with "amount of credibility that Colin (Is it Collin or Colon?) has"; that was just a cheap shot.

And as has been pointed out, Democrats were in the White House during Viet Nam, and by the way, did a wonderful of job of destroying the war effort by way of having government bureaucrats running the war instead of generals. And as I recall, Carter (Democrat) was in office when the conflict in Iran started; that conflict ended when Reagan (Republican) was elected. With your reference to Afghanistan and Iraq, I gather that you intend to get in a dig at GWBush; allow me to point out to you that both of those actions have been won, thanks primarily to the US military, and that there have been no terrorist attacks on American soil since those actions were started. By the way, I notice that you omitted Bosnia and Somalia, fiascos taking place under Clinton's "leadership".

But let's get back to your real issue, the matter of the Janet Jackson "wardrobe malfunction". (And let us acknowledge that it was an orchestrated event; please don't tell me you actually believe it was an accident.) Your point about people being forced to watch Janet Jackson flash her breast, to just change the channel if you dislike the content, has one glaring flaw: Think back to the venue. It was a football game. And not just any game, the SuperBowl. Parents who choose to protect their children from television nudity, or adults who simply prefer to avoid exposure to such, had a very reasonable expectation that they could watch the ball game (and halftime show), in the early evening hours without being subjected to such a display, however brief. The appropriate point is not that those people could have elected to avoid the programming; it is that the scheduled content gave no warning of sexually-oriented material. Indeed, I'll agree with you that HBO should be able to broadcast what it wishes, because that is a subscription service. People can choose to watch, or not. The SuperBowl/04 did not fall into that category. The Bowl organizers either knew, or certainly should have known, the content of the halftime show. By logical extension, the same applies to the network's people. Given that I have not heard about subsequent lawsuits against Jackson and Timberlake to recover the cost of the fines, I gather that they did, indeed, have enough information to know that they would not prevail in court.

As to Howard Stern, it's the same thing. So long as he is broadcasting on the public airwaves, the content is a problem. Why? Because parents and other adults have a reasonable expectation that material readily available via "free" sources will be clear of objectionable content.

-- KVK

angelicminxangelicminxalmost 19 years ago
Hmm...

I think I love you. :D I'm kidding of course, but that was a very well written, well thought out piece. Makes mine look quite shabby by comparison. Thanks for having the courage to exercise your rights. I honestly don't think that "Anonymous" has the courage, do you? ~Minx

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 19 years ago
You spoke truth to power

It's time for the radical religious right (wrong) to step away from their desire to control what everyone in this country sees and reads.

If we allow these yahoos to continue, it's going to be burkas all round and the corporatisation of the world. If you don't like what you see on the TV, change the channel. If you don't like what you're hearing on the radio, change the station.

And to those anonymous posters who disapprove of what you said, well, they didn't have the guts to put a name to their posts and that says alot about them.

Keep up the good work and fight the good fight.

Liberty, equality, fraternity.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 19 years ago
JFK and LBJ were Republicans?

While Eisenhower had sent military advisors to Vietnam, JFK began troop commitment and Lyndon Johnson escalated our involvement to war. I didn't realize they were Republicans. FDR and Truman (WW II and Korea) were Republicans as well I guess.

As far as your nipple argument, what was your point? Are nipples sufficient or do you want hard core porn on Sunday evening? (that would save me a ton of money.) I can watch whatever I want on cable without commercials so I don't worry about the airwaves. I haven't seen the Janet Jackson porn movie yet, but I can't wait.

sacksackalmost 19 years ago
formidable

extremely interesting, a strong contender in the contest. Good luck!

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous