All Comments on 'Protesting'

by Goldeniangel

Sort by:
  • 15 Comments
wifefuckedwifefuckedalmost 19 years ago
A peaceful demonstration

A peaceful demonstration on public property is ALSO a RIGHT (given the appropriate notifications and whatnot.) The RIGHTS you speak so dearly of; Free Speech is also followed by the Right to assemble (gather) in the Bill of Rights (first 10 ammendments) that came out with the constitution of the United States of America.

We cannot let that be stomped on by those who simply have different ideas!

rgraham666rgraham666almost 19 years ago
The problem is…

that too many people divide the world up into the categories of 'Us' and 'Them'.

For these people, free speech only applies to 'Us'. 'Them' can shut the fuck up and do what they're told.

Shrugs. Freedom of speech is simply the visible part of freedom of thought. Unfortunately, as Eric Fromme pointed out, many people are frightened by freedom. When you're free to speak and act as you chose, you are also responsible for the results of that speech and those actions. Responsibility is something many people try to avoid.

Not meant as an attack, Golden. Just thoughts stirred up by your essay.

Well done.

justagirlathartjustagirlathartalmost 19 years ago
Close, but no cigar

If someone from the govt had overheard you, the file would have been in the archives of the Secret Service which is now part of the Dept of Homeland Security, which has nothing to do with the fan belt inspectors (FBI).

neonlyteneonlytealmost 19 years ago
Interesting Hypothesis

Interesting, don't entirely agree because there is also a moral imperative to behave in a way not to incite, that bit is largely missing from a well structure hypothesis.

lilsubalexlilsubalexalmost 19 years ago
One of my fav arguments

Well done!

Like the monologue Michael Douglas gives in "The American President" where, in part, he talks about America being tough work - that "you've gotta want it bad" it is being willing to stand up and personally fight for the rights of someone else to stand center stage advocating at the top of their lungs that for which you'd spend a lifetime fighting against and whose words make your blood boil.

America is that our sons & daughters, husbands & wives, nieces & nephews are dying in the mud and sand, ice and heat beneath a flag that can't be THE thing they are dying for it is but the symbol of freedom - but the true depth and measure of that freedom is the free right of an American to burn his own personal flag in protest of the actions of that government (not stealing mine to burn it) - that what they are dying for - NOT THE FLAG - BUT THE INCREDIBLY UNIQUE SPECIALNESS THAT IS AMERICA.

America is that we not only have the right to question & criticize our leaders, our government - but we have the responsibility to do so.

Sorry .. a diatribe .. great job!

angelicminxangelicminxalmost 19 years ago
Nice work

I happen to agree with you, but, even if I didn't, it's a well written piece and that is what I base my votes on. Thanks for entering and using your right to voice your opinion. ~Minx

Mr CMr Calmost 19 years ago
50

I agree with the general idea here, but statements like these kind of bother me...

"Only in America could two completely divergent views coexist side-by-side."

If your definition of coexisting is just not blowing eachother up, then this is the kind of statement that makes people think of us as having too much pride.

But aside from that, what's with all these political reviews here? Did I miss an anouncement or holiday or something?

nastystoryguynastystoryguyalmost 19 years ago
What's up with the First Amendment?

This is an extremely well written, well-reasoned piece. Of course it helps that I agree with Angel 100%! Your only oversight was leaving out Patrick Henry.

But I am with Mr. C. What is with the plethora of First Amendment essays? I’m not complaining, in fact I think it’s quite inspiring, I just wonder what is behind it.

FastNedFastNedalmost 19 years ago
Free Speech has a price.

Whoever said freedom of speech was without cost? We Americans have decided that the concept does not allow one to falsely shout "FIRE" in a crowded place . We are unwilling to have the dead pilled against the doors for the concept of "Free Speech", that is a cost too great. We have buried too many assassinated leaders and experienced too many attempts to add to that list to allow even a hint that a president should be killed. Pick a President - say he's a bum, a louse, NFG or whatever, scream he should be impeached! That's all OK, but when you suggest or hint that we would be better off with him dead, you have crossed the line and the Secret Service (not the FBI) will be focusing on you very quickly. As it should! So STFU about it!

GoldeniangelGoldeniangelalmost 19 years agoAuthor
From the Author

well, the reason there all these free speech reviews is cuz of a contest that literotica has going on.

and btw, i never said a president should be killed, it was a joke, as in "heartattack" ie. natural cause of death. irony amuses me... i mean seriously, he almost choked on a potato chip a few years ago, can you blame me for the thought?

and saying that you think that the president should be impeached or whatever will get you the attention of the secret service just as quickly as saying you think he should be dead. it's now ALSO considered un-American. oi.

heh heh... i have to say though, having the public comments up... yeah, free speech! i can't blame people for disagreeing with me... buti 'm still going to put in my own comment!

BlueSnakeBlueSnakealmost 19 years ago
Damn well told!

Right on! Well thought out and intelligently written.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 19 years ago
Freedom doesn't mean free

The person that wished the President was dead made her statement. The cost was that the Secret Service checked it out. Because you say its without malice doesn't mean the listener hears it that way. You don't have freedom of interpretation.

Sometimes speech has its consequences. Fred Phelps cost was that many people see him as a bigot. Maybe he becomes a target for public scrutiny.

sacksackalmost 19 years ago
super..

very cogent, bare writing which was a pleasure to read!

gregl515gregl515almost 19 years ago
Free Speech is One of the Best Things About the

U.S. This is not the only place with free speech though. Still it is a great thing that two divergent viewpoints can say their piece and no one gets hurt or worse. Very well written.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userGoldeniangel@Goldeniangel
12586 Followers
For my erotic romance newsletter - https://smarturl.it/AngelNewsletter For my erotica / fetish / dark romance newsletter - https://smarturl.it/SinistreNewsletter Website: www.goldenangelromance.com You may notice some of my stories have disappeared... some of them will be s...