All Comments on 'Freedom To Speak, Freedom To Listen'

by greeneyelove

Sort by:
  • 11 Comments
neonlyteneonlytealmost 19 years ago
Strongly Put

You state your case very strongly and whilst I sympathise with the arguement, it is not always enough to say 'the other person does not have to listen'. Responsibility, as you say, needs to be applied hand in hand with Free Speech.

bearleebearleealmost 19 years ago
Well said!

You hit it right on the head!

angelicminxangelicminxalmost 19 years ago
Wonderful!

Clear, concise, well written. Great job! ~Minx

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 19 years ago
Hypocrite

It's interesting how you preach freedom of speech when you are a hypocrite yourself.

Yes you have the right to voice your opinion but so do others. I notice that when someone criticise a writer's work or style and you would jump in to defend the writer and tell the writer to ignore those critics. Was the writer a close friend of yours?

So is that what you call freedom of speech?

greeneyelovegreeneyelovealmost 19 years agoAuthor
Let Me Clear Something Up

I am the one who wrote this piece and I would like to respond to the person who called me on defending other writers from some comments made by others.

Yes, I have told the writer to ignore certain comments because it was my belief that they should do so. I liked what they had writen. I disagreed with what others posted, so I expressed my own thoughts, just as those who posted the comment I reacted to do.

And, as I said in my essay, I totally believe in freedom to speak my mind and I have to say, when I do, if the comment is positive or not so positive, I never use Anonymous to conceal myself.

Sean RenaudSean Renaudalmost 19 years ago
Well Done

Well written and thought out. Your not a hypocrite, telling somebody to ignore a comment is not censorship. Telling him to erase it would be. There just isn't enough here to separate you from the pack though. Kinda ho hum.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 19 years ago
Right to Media Outlet?

If I don't like something on TV or the radio, I can exercise my right of free speech and contact the broadcaster and complain. If I just change the channel/station I have passed my right to free speech. Nobody has the right to have an outlet Radio/TV/Newspaper carry their speech whenever they want. You just have the right to say it. Now I don't have the right to unilaterally remove something from the airwaves but if my speech persuades the owner to pull it or change it, then the system has worked. If the owner tells me to get lost the system has worked as well.

And if the government forbids certain types of Speech over the public airwaves say it on cable or on the street. The first ammendment doesn't say that all people should have the right to use channel 2 as a platform for their opinions.

I'm glad you choose not to be anonymous although I couldn't find greeneyelove in the phonebook. Are you unlisted?

sacksackalmost 19 years ago
very good..

well done, and good luck!

northshore_bumnorthshore_bumabout 15 years ago
Cogent thought

Somehow I missed this when it came out. Bravo. BTW your stories are great also

John

skywriterxxxskywriterxxxalmost 15 years ago
You go girl!

yeah...you have clearly stated how things should work... and as expected there are some who would attempt to muddy the waters, so to speak. What you said is right on, well written, crystal clear and concise. Well done!

51Woodie51Woodieover 1 year ago

As long as what's spoken is the truth... not someone's warped version of the truth... then say what's on your mind.

When it's false it needs to be quashed and rebutted.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous