All Comments on 'How to Write "Above the Fray"'

by WFEATHER

Sort by:
  • 19 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousalmost 19 years ago
Well Said

There is much food for thought in this monograph. There is also room for introspection. Looking it over I believe there are several personal sins of omission and comission listed. Thank You Ronnie W.

EasywoodEasywoodalmost 19 years ago
Very Helpful

My first story is now being edited by one of the volunteer editors. As he gives me feedback and I rewrite, I can see my story improving. Thanks to comments and advice from other authors I hope to hone my skills.

Keep up the good work. This type of advice helps all of us.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 19 years ago
Impressed with yourself ?

I found this article to be condescending and full of self serving admiration for it's author. When did someone appoint this author as critic and instructor for this website ?

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 19 years ago
Quite

Arrogance diminished to large extent is a part of confidence - something an author needs to work above the fray (I like your term and concept).

I particularly agree that respect abused lacking some consequence diminishes reality, enjoyment and the usually life based entertainment possibilities. Hero's and villains are elements to be used normally in relative balance. When justice or some offsetting positive reaction is begged but not delivered, there is little reality or enjoyment except for the pain givers and needers. Not erotic to the non-jaded.

So overall, a worthwhile read - thanks for taking the time. Hopefully, some authors will read it and take heed. Selfishly, I hope so. Also, now you have encouraged me to read some of your work. Thanks again - with Regard

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 19 years ago
you can't please all of the people...

The person who demanded to know who appointed you as the instructor of this site is clearly a moron.

All you are doing is offering advice to would-be writers as to how to maximise the potential of their stories, advice with which I whole-heartedly concur. These writers can embrace or disregard your advice; it is their choice but I would hope that they do take on board what you have to say. Judging by the 'hot' marks that most of your stories have achieved, your advice is meaningful.

Don't be put off by the previous moron.

PAPATOADPAPATOADalmost 19 years ago
Thank you

Your comments are well meaning and are appreciated. A few of the suggestions hit home as far as I was concerned. You can't please everyone so pick your audience and do it for them. I lilke that concept. Thanks for a good article.

lohengren99lohengren99almost 19 years ago
excellent tips all around

This author has earned the right to make suggestions on writing as 33 of his 84 submissions have rating of 4.5 or higher. This is not an absolute rating of quality, but it is about the best we authors have to use here on Literotica.

The points the author makes are good solid recommendations and authors that want to be taken seriously should follow them!

tickletickletickleticklealmost 19 years ago
Great thoughts!

I must say, i have to do some kind of deduction to understand what "above the fray" meant. I guess I haven't been too chummy with my thesaurus. I always want to write an erotica, since I read so much of them. I commend you for the tips...they are pretty basic stuffs but we writer-wannabees always could use plenty of reminders. Maybe one day one of those tips would register and make our fingers start typing away the first paragraph of the story. One thing that I really wish I could find in your article was examples...you said one needed inspiration to start out, but you're not exactly providing us with examples of what kind of day-to-day stuffs could trigger inspiration to write ....I mean, take me as an example...I work with kids...and sadly (or is it fortunately?) I've never could imagined anything sexual or erotic when I am around them...And also, are your tips come in a particular order?...let's just say, since you put respect in number 1, was it one thing one had to consider first in writing an erotica? *sigh* I wish I could start writing my first line after I finished reading your article...maybe later, after I looked up the synonyms of clit and nibble...

tickletickletickleticklealmost 19 years ago
Great thoughts!

I must say, i have to do some kind of deduction to understand what "above the fray" meant. I guess I haven't been too chummy with my thesaurus. I always want to write an erotica, since I read so much of them. I commend you for the tips...they are pretty basic stuffs but we writer-wannabees always could use plenty of reminders. Maybe one day one of those tips would register and make our fingers start typing away the first paragraph of the story. One thing that I really wish I could find in your article was examples...you said one needed inspiration to start out, but you're not exactly providing us with examples of what kind of day-to-day stuffs could trigger inspiration to write ....I mean, take me as an example...I work with kids...and sadly (or is it fortunately?) I've never could imagined anything sexual or erotic when I am around them...And also, are your tips come in a particular order?...let's just say, since you put respect in number 1, was it one thing one had to consider first in writing an erotica? *sigh* I wish I could start writing my first line after I finished reading your article...maybe later, after I looked up the synonyms of clit and nibble...

DKayeDKayeover 18 years ago
Absolutely!

I'm a writing slut. Much more than the actual subject matter of a story, it's the writing--the way the story is told, how well the author gets me into the character's head--that determines how much I like a story. And how hot I find it.

This is by no means an exhaustive list, but it's excellent advice, and I'm motivated to look up the author's stories.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 18 years ago
thankyouthankyouthankyou

thankyou so much!

i've been trying to figure out how to corectly say all the dirty words...

nasty language is a huge problem with me...if i can't find a good word, i won't finish the story, no matter how much i love to plot.

this is great!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 17 years ago
Hmmm...

I appreciate where you're coming from, but seriously, it does come off as perhaps a little arrogant, and I think if most people wanted you or anybody else's advice on writing we would have contacted an editor. And don't they have an entire section on this site devoted to exactly what this particular submission is saying? Yeah, I think so. So again, appreciate the tips but I think the people at Literotica already had that covered buddy.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 17 years ago
I agree with Hmmmm...

Yes, a bit much, and lacking much.

One thing not mentioned is the fact that the very best authors are almost NEVER the most popular. Not on a site such as this, anyway.

No matter how many contests are run here, no matter how much drivel about quality and believable, the readership comes to be titillated.

This ain't Shakespeare.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 17 years ago
1001 TQ

Thanks 4 wonderful tips.....i really love such an idea...top.modeling@yahoo.com

KOLKOREKOLKOREabout 17 years ago
And it helps you with your SAT…

I was reading around the middle of your submission that you expect it to be controversial, but could not see why. Indeed, like me other posters have not found this time a reason to pick too much on each other or on you. The way I see it, you provided a nice generic list of things to bear in mind while writing. I am curious though what exactly you thought could or should have raised a controversy. Feel free to follow up with a clarification on this board. After all, this is not (thank god) the poetry section with their bizarre rituals of not commenting, or only minimally commenting on poems and almost never having a real living poet respond.

I agree with another poster regarding the lack of examples. Your submission could have been much more helpful had you taken the time to supply examples either from your work (no need for false modesty) or from others which could have inspired most much more than the theory part.

You totally succeeded in raising my curiosity regarding your own works, though (see you there)!

heartofdixie1992heartofdixie1992about 12 years ago
Thanks so much!!!

I have only written one story for literotica so far, my first attempt at writing. Though I got may positive comments, I noticed that my story was lacking many things from this very informative list. Thank you so much for bringing these things to the light :)

JohnnyMaxJohnnyMaxover 11 years ago
Very welcome

Your entries are consistently high quality. It is obvious that you have evolved some great strategies and are applying them well.

I'm impressed by your reasons for a story, thats why I started also.

One thing though, there seem to be many more of your stories that are just itching for a follow-up. I'd suggest you look back and see which ones you want to carry on with.

I was surprised when I got a comment about one of mine asking where it was going next and on rereading it I saw multiple lines it could follow, keep me writing for ages.

Keep up the inspirational work.

sensualwhisperssensualwhispersabout 11 years ago

I can understand the need to post such an article and having read it and the comments I felt a need to reply.

As a part time writer(that's what I see myself as) I find my inspiration from everything around me; a conversation with a work mate, a book I am reading followed by the what if moment. It's not for us to give examples it is for the writer to use their own imagination. Some one wrote they work with children and could not find anything sexual about that, well how about imaging the sexual tension between staff members or a board of governors. The only limit is our minds.

Having read copious amounts of erotic stories on here and other sites the consistancy in quality fluctuates enormously. But the one thing guaranteed ro make stop reading is the size debate. Please find other words to describe the size of a woman's breasts or a man's penis. How does the character know she is a 34dd or his penis is 8inches long, do they use tape measures?. Sorry I digress.

This article highlighted some good points and no it wasn't written by an ego mania

C. My stories are my, babies, and any critic hurts so I try to be overly confident in how I view my own stories to compensate for negative feed back.

SalomeAhrimanSalomeAhrimanover 8 years ago
Respect?

I see no reason why characters in a story have to respect each other. Part of storytelling is the resolution of tension, and a lack of respect between people who have to interact can certainly lead to a lot of tension. That's not to say that characters in a story should never respect each other, though. It should depend on their personalities and whether they have reason to respect each other.

There are lots of people in real life who don't respect each other. Sometimes they're even married to each other. So a relationship without respect can be very realistic. What the author means by "genuine" is less clear. Certainly a relationship without respect is not a healthy one, particularly between people who are having sex. But not all good stories are about worthy people in healthy relationships. It depends on what story an author is trying to tell.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous