All Comments on 'New Year's Evolution: Joke Over'

by MichaelFitzgerald

Sort by:
  • 109 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
Another half hearted effort at a story

but it doesn't even make sense! If you're going to write a story, do it. This one page half assed crap is just that, crap.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
Lighten up buttercup...

...Dan seems like an overly sensitive sniveling whiny hand wringing pathetic bitch. The story didn't detail what Dan did to bring on the practical joke, but he must have been quite a jerk for the whole family to want their pound of flesh. Kept having to back up and re read parts of the story cause it jumped around so much. Jennifer gets thrown into the mix out of nowhere, and who is Mary? Nancy needs to divorce mr sensitive, and get with the therapist. 3 stars. Thanx!

Loklie

26thNC26thNCabout 5 years ago
Buttecup?

I don't think Dan comes off as a buttercup at all. He just doesn't like practical jokes and this was a particularly nasty one. He is angry about being ambushed by his family, especially by his wife and mother. He can't grasp why his wife, who he expects to always have his back, betrayed his trust. He explained it to her perfectly, twice. It's on her now. Hopefully she will talk about her concerns in the future. Gun ghaol gun earbsa.

tangledweedtangledweedabout 5 years ago
Shirley you can't be serious.

I feel sorry for anyone who couldn't see that the original New Year's Evolution was meant as a joke. The guy wasn't autistic in the original, for fuck's sake, he was an insensitive asshole played for laughs.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
Well....

I like this better than the original. 4

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
He's autistic

Simple he's autistic

WordcraftWordcraftabout 5 years ago
NOPE

Pranks and practical jokes that inflict emotional distress or trauma aren't a joke, especially from a wife. I can think of at least three better ways to handle their issues: They talk with him one on one, the wife talks with him in private, a neutral person talks with him.

A practical joke is a husband telling the wife they are eating out then firing up the outdoor grill. :)

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago

Pranks or practical jokes that HURT someone isn't funny or worth reading about! 1*

ReedRichardsReedRichardsabout 5 years ago
This was an amazing story!

The author got it dead on right about how the unpopular people feel about always being the butt of jokes. We might wonder how he ever got a wife who wasn’t socially inept in the first place, but, ignoring that, I can easily see how someone who had always been the butt of jokes could have a slowly rising, slowly boiling level of accumulated tension and un-let go of pain.

Some people can laugh things off, while others may only pretend to, because they just can’t do it. For those people, the jokes will still never end, but they really need wives who can understand and support them. In this story, Jake didn’t have that kind of wife.

Full marks.

WhackdoodleWhackdoodleabout 5 years ago
No one actions are making any sense.

He was an asshole in the first story, now he’s just autistic? And why wouldn’t anyone figure out the “practical joke” they played wasn’t funny to anyone? As for his anger issues? Fuck yes he has anger issues. And trust issues and telling the truth issues.

It feels like the author changed tracks part way through the story and it just doesn’t work.

jneric2691jneric2691about 5 years ago
I know people like him...

He'll I'm a little like him. Social situations are hard and trying to fit in you end up saying sarcastic things trying to fit in. Sometimes at the end of the night you wonder "Why the hell did I say that?". And yes those same people that you thought were you friends play practical jokes on you... And it's Damn Sure Not Funny!!!!!! Especially when they are laughing there ass ass off at you! I should know. I think there's more to your story, I like what you have so far! If course, he could also sue her for divorce since she was suppose to be home and he caught her with another man. After the guy serves her with the papers waiting for her to digest them... he could tell her joke's over! I know, that is overboard, but, that would be the end joke of a socially inept person. Sorry for sharing, your story hit home.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
Thanks for sharing...

I really enjoyed your story, but I think it’s a shame that you ended it just when it was getting interesting.

HarddaysknightHarddaysknightabout 5 years ago
I like your plots, but

this story would be much better with serious editing. Punctuation was off while words were missing or wrong. Those errors combined to make this a difficult, and at times confusing, read. I know a very good editor or two that would really help. I really like your unique approach to marital situations and possible solutions. Keep posting!

ThematchthatBurnsThematchthatBurnsabout 5 years ago
Questions?

1/ Why has brother still got his teeth?

2/ Do mother and father still get to see grand children?

3/ Did he contact State licensing Board?

sbrooks103xsbrooks103xabout 5 years ago
Meh

I get that he's probably on the spectrum, and we're seeing through his eyes, but some things are still a little harder to follow than they should be.

One puzzlement - Her calls his wife to say he won't be home for dinner, and she immediately has a date for dinner?

rmeyerhormeyerhoabout 5 years ago
good story

Interesting and a good read, but you left it short on the ending. Hopefully there will be another chapter.

KingBandorKingBandorabout 5 years ago
This missed the mark

I generally do not like follow-up stories to other author's work. Invariably the characters change or the new author alters key things to fit his or her philosophy.

I feel that is what you did here. The main character changed too much and you nullified the entire reason behind the original. He was a douchebag, arrogant, insensitive prick who got shown how hurtful his comments were.

Instead of learning a lesson and becoming more self aware, he now is the victim and has turned it around on his family. He is no better off and is just a dick.. And now a dumb dick with learning disabilities.

It is ok to like someone's stories. Please stop trying to fix them or alter them. Just write your own story from start to finish, with your own characters.i would have preferred that you write a new version of the same theme as Piper's story rather than try to add to it.

KB

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
An intellectual followup to a slap-stick cartoon.

If he's been auditing his wife's behavior he knows she's seeing a therapist. Why wouldn't she suggest they both do, before she even starts? And one of the first things an arrogant self righteous person does is claim that if you disapprove of something they've done you must have anger issues.

The only plot hole is that Nancy is who he married, so he should not be surprised, or she has somehow changed into a cruel unfeeling bitch. Except that ALL of his family joined in on this "joke", so have they all changed, or has this dunce been breaking the china for years without caring? Have any of the other family members apologized?

You left this with the distinct impression that the marriage is spiraling downward, over hurt feelings, misunderstanding, and prideful stubbornness. All good reasons for immature shallow spouses to get divorced. If it ends for those reasons they won't have lost much of a marriage. You should have the courage to follow it down to the crash, or describe how it is saved.

Its a good effort to make a thoughtful story out of an obnoxious cartoon. Wish you had finished it.

silentsoundsilentsoundabout 5 years ago
Nice follow up.

The original wound me up.as well and your continuation helped unwind the tension a little.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
A great story

Only reason for 4*'s instead of 5 is you left it hanging. Readers don't like that. FTDS!!!!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
Totally unnecessary

This is one of those stories you read and question why you even bothered to write it. Nothing in the first story called for it. And for it to be on erotic literature site is nothing but torture. IMHO a total fail.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
Stahpit

“...and is protected under copyright by U.S. copyright law” Did you file the paperwork? Pay the fee? Then, list the is #. Otherwise, NO ITS NOT!

I have a million dollars... since we’re just saying stuff to make it true.

Just_WordsJust_Wordsabout 5 years ago
I get it.

You don't make a person better by hurting them. I can see the marriage continuing to limp along, but his relationship with the brother could be scrapped forever. That behavior is just hurtful.

Rockyderek_caRockyderek_caabout 5 years ago
5

Good direction but i like the darker reaction to this practical joke too, absolutely NOT funny at all.

looking4itlooking4itabout 5 years ago

This was an interesting take but I have to agree you left it a little short to accomplish the goal in my opinion.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
Disconnected

Sorry, but I never quite figured out a clear premise of the story. The introduction included levels of detail that turned out to be irrelevant; the How we got here had no context and things weren't helped when pronouns and phrases don't have an obvious antecedent. All I know is that some guy is socially inept who did something to his family that was dumb and then he's really pissed at his loving wife for her role in something he didn't like.

I was lost in the intro and never found it.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
Good add

This was a good add to the original story. I was certainly able to follow the plot and the whys of this tale. I do think you left it a little short. It needs closure so please add a last and final chapter. Thanks for writing and contributing to the LW section.

"Buckeye Fan"

MichaelFitzgeraldMichaelFitzgeraldabout 5 years agoAuthor

I know it’s early on but I did want to respond to two comments specifically and several commenters generally.

@HardDaysKnight: I apologize for the shoddy version that was posted. Obviously, it is my fault The reason for it is simple. I uploaded the “mostly perfect” version; “Mostly” can be a bitch of a word. Do you know how I can remedy this and swap the good for the bad? This cannot be the first time this has happened. (To the extent that others shared HDK's trouble following, hopefully you will find the "entirely in English" version an easier read.)

I greatly appreciate your kind words and support for my stories.

@King Bandor: Thank you for taking the time to make thoughtful comments. I did want you to know that Piper Hamlin edited this story, making several suggestions that improved my work significantly. He informed me that he is looking forward to readers’ comments.

Finally, why does it end when it does? @MatchThatBurns asked three good questions. Perhaps, more readers will ask questions too. My hope is that there will be a further story in that.

texxmantexxmanabout 5 years ago
Read original first

As noted this is a continuation of another story which you should read first. I related more to this sequel than the original.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
i read the original

The problem is that he a nasty hypocrite who never apologized for his own abusive sense of humor. Not once, and he's made it clear that he learned nothing then or now.

How does he think his wife likes being the butt of his jokes? His kids? His family? Why does his bad excuse for rude humor justify him doing it to others? The problem with his is the original credits him with learning something.

You ruined out by showing that he done a180a and learned nothing and about that he going to keep on using his off humor because calling your wife tramp or your brother a fat cuck after you've been told not to is a great trust builder.

Right?

SlithyToveSlithyToveabout 5 years ago
@Anonymous "Stahpit"

Clearly, you have no idea how U.S. Copyright law works, so please don't censure authors for including notices about it.

From the copyright.gov FAQs:

When is my work protected?

"Your work is under copyright protection the moment it is created and fixed in a tangible form that it is perceptible either directly or with the aid of a machine or device."

Do I have to register with your office to be protected?

"No. In general, registration is voluntary. Copyright exists from the moment the work is created. You will have to register, however, if you wish to bring a lawsuit for infringement of a U.S. work. See Circular 1, Copyright Basics, section 'Copyright Registration.'”

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
The sequel isn't the same genre as the original

It's not bad, but it's like making a sequel to Ghostbusters and doing it as a straight horror film.

gatorhermitgatorhermitabout 5 years ago
Interesting treatment of PH's story...

I agree with Q about the original. This is a logical epilogue to the original. Not sure why the original picked 12/31 instead of 4/1 as the day for the practical joke. I think if I were the protagonist in either story, I would be tempted to do a six month or longer walkabout.

TwentysevenTwentysevenabout 5 years ago
A Miss

There is a point to be made about cruel practical jokes but you spoil it with a hero who positively wallows in his misery.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
I have a love/hate relationship with this continuation story

I loved the part where you went in a different direction than the original and had Dan be upset with the "intervention". If that's what it was. But his decision that he couldn't have any influence over whether or not Nancy meets him halfway was a cop out. He seems to decide to leave his future in the hands of others. Not a good idea. Overall this was a failure. Among the things I found wrong? This story isn't copyrighted. You clearly don't understand the law. Secondly, HDK's story and George Anderson's followup have nothing to do with pranks. They allowed their men to be willing cuckolds, supposedly for some family historical reason. Weak sauce to say the least, but not a prank. Agena's story was, indeed, a prank carried too far with the predictable fallout. Except he allowed his male lead character to remain a cuckold when he took his wife back. Ugly ending. Sperro's story wasn't a prank. It was a manipulative bitch leaving her husband in a cock cage while lying to him. A fetish story mistakenly posted in the LW section. Again, a husband gets abused and doesn't get a divorce. So your "chain" stories really didn't lead you here as only one of them dealt with a similar storyline. While you took a different direction than the original story in the end you failed to finish. We don't know what will happen to his family. And nothing you wrote convinces me that Nancy won't play another prank on him. I hate unfinished stories. Even the original story wasn't finished. He claims to be planning revenge for the next year's party. WRONG! They would be at his wife's parents house the next year so only Nancy and his kids would be available for any revenge. Pitiful at best. dumb at worst. Next time you decide to finish another story pick one that needs finishing and then FINISH THE DAMN STORY!

2 stars

Schwanze1Schwanze1about 5 years ago
Yeah

this one is brilliant by comparison. Too short though. I was disappointed it was over when I got to the end. Thanks.

PiperHamlinPiperHamlinabout 5 years ago
A tip of my hat to you, Mr. Fitzgerald

I was very flattered to be approached about an interest in an author wanting to do an alternative ending to one of my stories. I was doubly flattered that the request came from an author that has written stories I enjoy. It's nice when someone I wrote motivates someone else to do the same and give attribution!

I once approached an author about taking one of his stories in a different direction. I had enjoyed his story, but there was a pivotal moment in his story where his protagonist was presented with two choices. While the choice his character made made sense, I was fascinated by how the story would have gone had he take the other choice.

The author never responded to my email so that story never went anywhere. This was not only a terrible tragedy for the readers here, as that story likely would immediately have gone to the top of the Hall of Fame list, but I feel for the author as well.

Since this version was posted, the story it was based on has received attention from readers who didn't see my story when it posted. For any author weighing the pros and cons of such a request to have their work used, that's my immediate thought. I see nothing but upside.

MF gives me a bit too much credit for my contributions beyond writing the original. When he graciously told me where he saw his version going, I shared my thoughts along with my blessing. My suggestions were there for him to use or not. I'm glad he feels that taking a suggestion improved the final product. I feel it does as well. MF did all the heavy lifting on his own though.

The comments have been fun to read. Some have pointed out that there are a number of things different in this version than the original. That's the point I think, to doing an alternate ending. Some folks really hated mine and seem to like this better. That alone means writing this story was worthwhile for those readers. For those who feel differently, my story still exists.

I look forward to reading more of your stories MF.

Cheers.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
Absolutely AWESOME sequel

When I read the first one, my immediate thought was "that's a marriage that will not continue for long."

If you actually love someone, or even care about them a little, when they step out of bounds you try to correct them, not blindside them.

Unless you love your own cruelty more.

I wish there was a "10 stars" option, I've never wanted one more.

eightytuneseightytunesabout 5 years ago
DAN needs to divorce ALL of the family

re-read to get the feel that they conspired against Dan. a lot of BS floating. Ch 2 will get to the truth.

PocketshaverPocketshaverabout 5 years ago
your not getting it at all

actually read the story. really read it. this is a stand alone story dumbasses...

The main character in this story mentions he retells jokes made by someone else, they always "get a laugh" form the audience, but when someone else tells the same joke 5 minutes later, that person gets twice the laughter.

this is not socially inept. Its borderline Asperger. There is a difference. And when even his own kids get in on the bullshit... one has to wonder about the family structure. Also makes you wonder if the so called jokes of the family about the kids not being his and his wife being a cheating whore....

are actually jokes at all, and that it wasn't actually a "this is why the family hates you." and is simply missing "at least your adopted"

There is more to this story. Its interesting. very interesting.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
MF got it right

First, it is best to read the original. It is short and will give an insight about Dan's issues. MF's version gave a possible reason for Dan's obnoxious behavior from a perspective that he is socially inept rather being an asshole. Yes, Dan could be an orifice or he could be one who just has a hard time realizing he is being insensitive.

While some may think Dan only has to do is stop being insensitive, that is about as helpful as an helpful as an athlete telling an uncoordinated person to try harder in order make the team. It doesn't work that way. An athlete can perform sports as second nature. The uncoordinated person has to concentrate fully just to be able move around playing field without stumbling and falling.

What the family did to Dan was a coordinated ambush. Having everyone against you is not fun. What they did to make Dan be more sensitive was about as effective as everyone in the gym make fun of the uncoordinated person for lack of athleticism or calling a person who has difficulty in the classroom "stupid". Sadly only thing that does is either defeat the person or give him incentive for revenge which can be very tragic.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
I disagree

I thought you did this well. Being one of the more socially inept who cannot read people and has often been slighted and the brunt of others jokes, I don't think you went far enough. Had it been me, I would have divorced the stupid bitch and never spoken to any of the family again. Come to think of it, when someone treats me like shit, that is exactly what I do. When it is family the hurt is 10 times worse, and I never speak to them again. Some people just don't understand that they have no right to treat others like shit, and there is absolutely no reason for us to put up with it when they do.

JbRobertssonJbRobertssonabout 5 years ago
This ending is better than the original...

My brother would never tell me he'd been sleeping with my wife because he knows I'd start beating him before he could properly finish the sentence. And finding out they intended it to be a "joke"? And that everyone was in on it, including my wife and kids? Like Bernie Mac used to say, "There'd be some furniture moving around the room" for the second time that day.

Good story, wish it continued on. Well done. Thanks for posting.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
Incomplete

Justice has not been served. If I was Dan, but am not. First, when approached by Brian, I would have cold cocked him, putting him on the floor. Second, I would walk into the living room and tell "my" children there was going to be DNA testing. Third, I would announce I was getting std testing. Before leaving (with Nancy not with me) I would say to the gathering: "If this was a joke, it was the cruelest possible. Regardless, if a joke, all of you have lied to me, so I can never trust anything you say again. Lastly, this being a no fault state, I will file for divorce as soon as possible." As I was walking out the door alone, I would look back at the stunned faces and say: "Come on, it is a joke." Then I would leave.

HarddaysknightHarddaysknightabout 5 years ago
Correcting stories posted on Lit?

I gave up trying years ago. It is not a user friendly platform. In SOL you can repost in minutes. Not so with Lit.

dragonmann72dragonmann72about 5 years ago
In truth this story really hurt.

I am one of seven kids, practical jokes were common place. I also saw it in families with only two kids.

In the first story the only real true thing he did wrong was call his younger brother gay. yes he did other things that may have hurt but the joke his family played on him saying that his wife and brother were having an affair was the worst, there have been far to many stories about a brother or father coveting the the wife of the other.

I'm sure that, in this story, the idea was to humiliate Dan in the same way as the first story but the execution of the joke (lie) not only involved drunken extra material sex but also Interracial which a lot of men couldn't handle. I would have to believe Dan in the past had showed racist beliefs.

Women don't realize that when they decide to double down on making the man pay for something that the final outcome could even be worse. What I never understood in both stories Dan never acted like or threw in the faces that he had an affair, yet that was the bottom line in both stories, Nancy having sex with someone else (his brother in the first and a black male stripper in this. The only true negatives in story one was he called his brothers wife 'No Tits April'.

Do practical jokers need to be taken down a step or two sometimes? Yes, it's the choice in how you do it. They chose 'Scorched Earth' in both stories and then figured that would be the end (yea the end of a marriage).

As Piper said I to look forward to more of MF's stories.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago

All I can say is WTF was that.

bruce22bruce22about 5 years ago
Interesting story

It is a good to have the subject of practical jokes brought up again so that we think of

about it. my last practical joke was at least 65 years ago. Irony also does not seem

to work unless you precede with the question, "Isn't ironic that. One detail that the readers got wrong,was that he repeated jokes that he heard with other people, No one laughed. But when some one else repeated the same joke to same group they all laughed. He might as well be invisible.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
YOU NEED THE HELP

Downright STUPID!

tazz317tazz317about 5 years ago
IF HE IS THAT MUCH OUT OF THE MAINSTREAM LOOP

its going to be impossible not to have jokes played upon him. TK U MLJ LV NV

UltimateHomeBodyUltimateHomeBodyabout 5 years ago
Started

Is this a follow on from another story?

Cannot see what story, many are mentioned in the opening comments. Could it be one of them?

Blind as a bat as usual. Even tried hanging from the ceiling but that didn't help.

Read comments but gave up as those that mention seem to know without saying.

UltimateHomeBodyUltimateHomeBodyabout 5 years ago
Only one ending

Divorce. They should have known what a prima donna the guy is, but still they tried to upstage him. Btw found the original, after checking all the "whatever the name was". Why the heck not just say what the original story was and by whom. Is that yoo much?

Personally I am on dickhead's side, practical jokes suck, and only ever end up hurting the target.

Story is well written allowing me to form opinions on the charscters and their actions. So 4* rating and well earned. Would have been 5x if you had started from scratch with the idea. You can have similar ideas as other stories, just do it in your words and storytelling.

Schwanze1Schwanze1about 5 years ago
He's

not a prima donna you dumbass. He's clearly on the spectrum. So you can understand, he's Sheldon Cooper. As you may be too.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
Great response to the initial story.

I was always bothered by the original story. It seemed so damn cruel to me. I would love to see you develope this particular story line further. There is sooo much material to work with. Thank you!

Tootight1Tootight1about 5 years ago
Good story?

I gave it a 5 for a concept that I understood almost. This cant be over yet. It should have been proof read better. I got lost several times, and lost understanding.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
Needs

Needs more.Should have reported the shrink and did he ever get back on reasonable terms with his wife,if not dump her,as he should have dumped the rest of his ,"loving"family.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
This seemed plausible

I enjoyed your version ending to story but it does not feel like the actual ending more like further character development. Please continue this story till satisfying conclusion also really enjoy your portrayal of him being undiagnosed on the spectrum. I have a friend slightly on the spectrum that kept having jokes played on him so he started punching people that played the joke. He had no problem with practical jokes as long as you accepted the consequences. He is 6'6" and muscular he also has not had a joke played on him in the last 12 years.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
Deserves a higher rating.

Dovetailed perfectly as a sequel/follow up story. A lesson learned in life kind of tale. Loving Wives is a very tough category and of the best stories here have very little or no sex involved. I enjoy this writer's storytelling and look forward to reading more. *****

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
Eh,

the first story made the guy out to be a needlessly relentlessly cruelly sarcastic jack ass

Your sequal makes him out to be mildly autistic

Good story but the tonal shift doenst make it feel like a sequel

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago

I'm completely confused. Is this contest entry a sequel? To what story? I thought contest entries were supposed to be standalone stories.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
What

What is the point of this story?.

ju8streadingju8streadingabout 5 years ago

this is not finished. too many loose ends

juderboyjuderboyabout 5 years ago
once again

You find a way to write a story that has a twist I have never read before. Each of those stories has real promise, and I can't wait to read more. Then you take the story and twist it all to hell and by the end I am left puzzled at what you were trying to say. If you have a message you want to share, once again, you failed.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
Why are these two still married?

There's too many unanswered questions, too many loose ends. Feels unfinished.

ReadyOneReadyOneabout 5 years ago
No inconsistancy

Dan is the same character in both stories. He's has mild Asperger's. He tells us that he can't read people and their emotions very well. He is also logical, and while he has strong emotions, they are left brain logical.

Dan's reaction to the situation, as expressed by Michael Fitzgerald, is spot on. I agree with everything Dan did.

Dr. Ross is an idiot. He's incompetent, and really screwed up an already bad situation. Perhaps Nancy and Dan will never be able to fully reconcile.

But he's just another part of this excellent story.

NVDiceGuyNVDiceGuyabout 5 years ago
He’s such a little bitch

He’s a dick to everyone and obviously proud of it. When they try to wake him up he vilifies the spouse who has put up with his shit. Next chapter should walk home to divorce papers.

Great story you got me completely immersed in the characters

Wish I could change my rating.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 5 years ago

I like a guy who does not take being embarrassed by his wife. He lost trust in her and If I was him go find another place to live and let her pay the bills.

jtwheelsjtwheelsalmost 5 years ago
As he said pull him aside and explain no jokes not embarrass him

Agree with others comments

He has disease and it causes relationship problems

Tootight1Tootight1over 4 years ago
good story

Not my first read, and probably not my last. Bottom line is, they knew each other before they ever married. She knew he was a little backward socially, he even acknowledged it. Both families knew about him.

This joke was wrong from the get go. The thing that got me was, as he said, his wife. He should divorce her, if he can. He also needs a doctor to try an over come his problems. She is probably fucking the doctor anyway.

vickitvohiovickitvohioover 4 years ago
not finished

the story needs to be finished to be a 5* ;0)

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
Finish It

This does need to be finished, it's just left hanging out there with no closure.

KRD19254KRD19254about 4 years ago

When he walked to the porch he should have kept walking.... EVERYONE in his family knew of his spastic humorless attempts, for years. Then one night his loving wife organized a come-to-Jesus burn session (including his adult son who said the most vile thing to a father a son could). Even his parents took a pleasurable enjoyment in burning Dan (apple don't fall to far from that tree).

No one saw the potential damage nor CARED what it might do to Dan, not his parents, kids, bro, or wife. No one thought it was over the top - as it was REVENGE time. REVENGE of an aggrieved/embarrassed wife who wanted her pound. Parents who must despise him. And a brother that hates him.

Love that has morphed into tolerance then betrayed TRUST - divorce time from ALL in that family. This story is way short and requires a real ending - for that 3*.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
what no real ending here........

Another author here who can't finis a story here...what a waste........

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
nancy

nancy a whore

WargamerWargamerover 3 years ago

Another disjointed hard to follow story.

Scores 3/5

etchiboyetchiboyover 3 years ago
But Dan, we’ve tried over and over again to hint, then strongly hint, then very strongly hint...

...you’re being inappropriate. I, your brother, and your parents have even sometimes out and out said something, and then you might...MIGHT get the message. Remember two months ago? Your father’s 68th birthday dinner here? It was almost 1a.m. and almost everyone was gone. Your father was making loud yawning noises. Jason and Judy had already left. I was standing at the door with my coat on and your jacket in my hand. And you were watching Saturday Night Live. “It’s almost the end” you said 3 or 4 times, but you’d been saying that for 10 minutes. Your mother even turned the lights off in the kitchen and dining room.

I out said, “Dan, your parents want to get some sleep. Let’s go.” “

“But it’s almost over, just another 5 minutes.”

Then you looked up, and saw me with my coat on, your mother and father standing in front of the open door. I think the look your mother gave you, more than mine, was finally the impetuous to get you off the floor and out the door. But it took almost 15 minutes AFTER I hugged your parents, and AFTER I stated clearly we needed to go, for you to pay actual attention to what was happening.

—— and on and on.

MarkT63MarkT63over 3 years ago

I had to read it 3 times to make any sense. Who exactly is the bad guy here? Wife? Brother/Family?

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Both stories told the same tale - from two different perspectives

I'm on the spectrum. What I see as being a nice, honest fellow comes across to everyone else as being a complete prick. Examples:

"Mom, you asked her why she's on her third drink and the appetizers aren't here yet - she's an alcoholic." Then the entire family jumps down my throat.

"Mom, you can't seriously expect me to buy a Christmas present for the guy shacked up with her. If he wants to be treated like he's a part of the family, he needs to put a ring on her finger. Otherwise he's just a guy fucking my sister." Yeah, that went over real well with the family.

"Your wife's cheating on you." "You bastard, how dare you say that about my wife." Six months later he comes crying to me about coming home to an empty house, drained bank accounts, maxed credit cards, a restraining order, and a freeze on his business accounts. Wants to know what to do. I told him he should invent a time machine and go back to when I first told him she was cheating on him, and smack himself in the face for not listening to me. He called me an asshole and stomped off.

Do I sound an asshole? My sister is an alcoholic. The family denied it, covered for her and enabled her for years. I thought by getting it out into the open would let us finally encouraging her to get help. Instead I got myself ostracized from the family. Took her years before she finally got sober. Then, the Christmas present. Some guy moves in with my sister, and I have to buy him a Christmas present? I'd never even met the guy. It enraged me that my Mom wanted me to spend my money on him. The women of the family called me a bastard. Finally, I warned that guy about his wife. He could have gotten a lawyer, hired a PI, protected his asserts, filed for divorce. Instead he went into denial. She set him up, tied up all his money so he couldn't even hire a decent attorney, all while she moved herself and their children in with some tatted up meth head. Then, he has the balls to come to me to me asking me what he should do? Well, excuse my the sarcasm in answer to your dumb ass question.

See, each incident, viewed one way is me being an asshole. Viewed another way it's me trying to help or me refusing to be used.

People on the spectrum run into this constantly. We don't have normal facial expressions. The tone of our voices are off. We tend towards a blunt way of speaking, but we are frequently tender hearted and easily hurt. Other people see us as assholes while we are just trying to be good people.

That's why I love both stories. PiperHamlin' version is the way you normies see people like me. Michael Fitzgerald's version shows Dan as he actually is, a gentle soul, and not how the outside world sees him. I've been blessed with a supportive wife and a son whose best friend has Asbergers - so he understands me. My daughter and the rest of my family despise me. So these stories cut close to my heart. Thanks.

green117green117over 3 years ago
And the neuroatypicals come out of the closet

Hey - me too.

But.. you can't really avoid the responsibility of being an ass. In the original, the MC's son told him he was responsible for years of agony, since his real father, the mail man, wouldn't be nice to him. I'm with the people who say that he really needed to get his head out of his ass.

So, okay, you are a rude kinda person, and people don't like it- what can you do smart guy? Sure - normal people are not like you. I bet social distancing feels like home, eh? Well, you can practice observation and empathy. Empathy as a thing you do is much more powerful than empathy as "everybody is like me and should respond the way I do" - and then test what you think you see using observation. Honest - it's not that hard to see when you are being rude. Listen to what you say and imagine how you would feel getting it from you.

So, yes I'm on the spectrum... strangers have some up to me several times asking "do you watch Big Band Theory?" - my response "no - it makes fun of my people" - tends to shut them up. Think about it... it makes fun of my people. Do you have a people?

Even normal people need friends, and need friends who understand that being normal is not enough for a full life - you need your "different" qualities as well. They need friends who are not judgmental, who give them space.

So - you are awkward? Join the club... try listening. Try going through the day without being "clever". Learn to smile, and let that be your answer. Heck, see if you can seem to be "slow".

Betcha your life will be better. And other people's as well.

As for the trolls - yes he should divorce Nancy - he needs to try to make her happy, and his acting out isn't doing the job. Sex is not relevant if you tend to humiliate your spouse.

Green-something

(for the author? Like your stuff. This one pushed some of my buttons - gee, really? - and so I went off on the comment section... but mostly towards the other commentors. One of the problems about this kind of story is that is clearly has an agenda, and agendas tend to drive the story into the background. I saw the original as intervention, and I suspect that the author saw it as intervention... this is most interesting in clarifying what qhml and others were going on about. Some stuff from my own thoughts about ASD is that it tends to run in families - like his brother and such - and that you gotta ask yourself why Nancy and he got together in the first place. Autism in the milder forms, may, in the case of women in particular, manifest as an emotional distance and a more aggressive humor style. Which is to say, you gotta know who your people are...)

Schwanze1Schwanze1about 3 years ago
Much better

The Hamlin piece was stupid and offensive. If that was his goal, mission accomplished. Real life his brother would be lucky he didn't get a kitchen carving knife in his gut.

NitpicNitpicabout 3 years ago
Who

Who is Mary?.

traddisagaintraddisagainalmost 3 years ago

our man is a little too sensitive but Nancy married to him over years should know and be careful how she treats him.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

the hell dragonmann72, where did you get black male stripper, you racist

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Joking?!!! Never Sex jokes at someone's expense. Hurts and they could take extreme measures

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Should have divorced Nancy and the whole family. Moved away and started new. He has no guarantee that Nancy won't play another joke on him and no reason to think she won't. Dumb.

iameaseliameaselover 2 years ago

To some degree this had realism to it. In a real life situation if ones wife enjoyed watching the person she "loved" go through that, and it wouldnt even be classified as funny, any husband who DIDNT have a bad reaction is more wimpy little shit than they think this husband is.

When everyone, wife, kids, mom, dad, sis and brother in law all get in on it, its just nastiness plain and simple kids.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

So a guy who admits plays jokes on people constantly….gets upset when tne tables are turned?

Cito22Cito22almost 2 years ago

There should be more to this story

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

No question. This story is far from finished.. Keep writing.

XYZ

kirei8kirei8over 1 year ago

OK, I just read Hamlin's original story. I like yours better now that I have background. It reminds me of when I had just arrived home after 6 months at sea. My wife moved to base housing while I was gone. We were invited to a party where I knew no one but she did having lived there several months. Anyway, I was made the butt of a joke involving kissing and hugging with everyone. I was the last one chosen of course and received a resounding slap in the face instead of a kiss. Everyone thought it was hilarious. We left shortly after and once outside I shoved my traitorous wife away and walked home. I considered divorce but had two kids so we had a frosty relationship for a few weeks afterward when we should have been making up for lost time. She never apologized for not warning me saying she didn't know. But she was chosen early and knew what would eventually happen. I caved to her trying to make up for it. That was 46 years ago, we're still married, but if you ask her if I trust her today, she will tell you NO! Expect lengthy repercussions for pulling practical jokes.

WolfOfTheWorldWolfOfTheWorldover 1 year ago

I've always wondered what good is a sense of humor. What most think is funny I think as being stupid. What I think of as being funny everyone else thinks of as sick and disgusting. That said, I would have confronted my brother with a log to the back of his head when he said that he slept with my wife. I would then tell my 'son' that I was glad I was no longer his father, and I expect monetary renumeration for every item I bought him at their full value at the time of purchase. I f someone brought up that it was a joke, they would hear me say that I don't have a sense of humor, and that I refused to be a butt of their joke. I would inform them that the next time they had anything to say, no matter how trivial to tell my attorney. I would then walk out of the house and out of their lives, forever.

Schwanze1Schwanze1over 1 year ago

Wolf,

You would hurt them more by apologizing. Say you really thought you were funny, and you apologize for being a pain. Then ghost them. They would beat themselves up more than you ever could.

Schwanze1Schwanze1over 1 year ago

Kirie8,

He did tell you which story.

Thanks for sharing your story.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Ftds

dirtyoldbimandirtyoldbimanabout 1 year ago

this needs a part 2 where he serves her with Divorce papers, best if done on April 1.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Deserves a part 2.

AnonymousAnonymous12 months ago

At first I did not like the story but by the end it was 5 stars for me.

Pjam1968Pjam196811 months ago

No part 2 is needed, the point made across about practical jokes

AnonymousAnonymous11 months ago

And all the autistic people like me shouted "HURRAH"

It's NOT funny being "Gaslighted"

robdh51robdh519 months ago

PERFECT 5

"And all the autistic people like me shouted "HURRAH"!"

YES!!!

12
Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userMichaelFitzgerald@MichaelFitzgerald
296 Followers
Just trying to tell a story. Hope you like them.