All Comments on 'The HIV Panic That Should Happen'

by -geisha.grrrl-

Sort by:
  • 19 Comments
bronzeagebronzeageover 18 years ago
On Target

geisha grrrl does not waste words. She plainly defines the problem and asks the question out loud that others are embarressed to whisper.

lgwbplgwbpover 18 years ago
Nice

Sounds great.. Written well.. a rough problem well illustrated

nalu05nalu05over 18 years ago
very important

as an md, this piece is very important. the epidemiology of hiv/aids has been changing, and with more people thinking of it as a chronic disease instead of a death sentence, they are not taking precautions. it is up to us to stop this coming pandemic.

1hotbabe1hotbabeover 18 years ago
Very good!

A tough subject that definitely needs to be addressed. Very well written. Hopefully, it helps in changing attitudes and help in taking preventive measures.

AnonymousAnonymousover 18 years ago
I agree and am glad to read this

I appreciate your honesty in writing this, it serves a good purpose. Something did come to my mind, though. Our education system can enlighten young people about sex all they can, but if they do not have a role model at home to encourage healthy behavior then the children are likely to develop the same bad habits. Even kids who don't respect or like their parents tend to emulate them to some degree. Thank you for writing this article!

AnonymousAnonymousover 18 years ago
Conflict of values

I think that rising HIV rates may be a horrible side effect of a culture clash.

The social conservative side, in agregate, is not in favor of any sexual education other than abstinence. They think to discuss condoms is to encourage the worst aspects of humanity that being sex, abortion, promiscuity and dancing.

But just as the conservatives talk about sex too little, the general culture talks about it too much. Today fourteen year olds have the sexual experience that nineteen year olds had twenty years ago. While nineteen year olds don't always make the best decisions they at least have had five more years of maturity under their belts. The problem is teaching fourteen years olds to be sexually responsible without them becoming sexually active. Also 99% of the sex messages they get are get drunk and getr laid as fast and as often as possible and only 1% makes reference to anything as crude as a condom. Just think about how often sex is mentioned on tv but how rarely protection is.

I guess though it strikes me as strange to see this essay here. I'm not sure if this is either the best place for it or the worst because when you look at the stories here something like 85% of it takes place sans condom.

AnonymousAnonymousover 18 years ago
Skeptic

I am a little curious about just how prevalent HIV is? Is it truely an epidemic? Your essay indicates that minorities make up a large portion of those who are infected, but that can still be a statistically small number of the minority population.

The fact remains that while HIV/AIDS is a scarry disease, it is not anywhere near the rist to the general population as heart disease...or even drunk driving.

drsaltdrsaltover 18 years ago
Misplaced

This kind of work doesn't belong here. Post it on the BB or somewhere else entirely. Lit is supposed to be a site for EROTIC work, not social commentary, no matter how valid your principles.

AnonymousAnonymousover 18 years ago
geisha misplaced

literotica gives people like myself a place to post our opinions and thoughts on ANY given subject, thus the non-erotic sections and reviews and essays.

If you don't like it, I suggest you don't read it.

Wrap it up, kids! Everytime!

AnonymousAnonymousover 18 years ago
Longer Life

Well there's another reason for black men to date women from other races, ya live longer. You never know if the sistah you're with has been with an unsafe bisexual blackman.

AnonymousAnonymousover 18 years ago
HERE WE GO AGAIN!!!!!

Once again, the mere mention of HIV has people running for the hills and coming up with inane rhetoric. Yes, the sistah you are sleeping with might have slept with a gay or bi-sexual brother, but guess what? You might be gay or bi-sexual yourself, or maybe at risk from use of IV drugs, so go right ahead and spread it to another race brotha!

I have lived with HIV for 18 years, and it is no picnic. Yes I am African American, and no I did not get it through promiscuous sex. I am a legal pofessional who received it through a blood transfusion while giving birth to my daughter. Today she is a happy, healthy, well-adjusted teenager, looking to enter college in September. THANK GOD!

To those who wish to downplay the serious threat that HIV poses as a pandemic, I say this: think again. Heart disease, drunk driving, nor cancer are CONTRACTIBLE! HIV is growing at an exponential rate because it can be transmitted from one person to another. Today it is my problem, but tomorrow it just might be yours.

I think this and any other forum is perfect for this discussion. Evidently, people only respond when you put it right in their faces!

AnonymousAnonymousover 18 years ago
Same Old Thing

No HIV test, No SEX!

No Protection, NO SEX!

and NO Marriage( if you can wait that long), NO SEX!

It's hard to believe that we have more of a problem with HIV in America then in other countries.We've been dealing with thing, sending out info, and spending money on it. I'm begining to believe that this new raise in HIV is do more to the fact that people don't care about anyone or thing except themselves, and start to cry for help after their infected. Maybe it's time to address the real problem. You can't stop it with money or can you stop it by forcing some moral group( church or others) to accepting your lifestyle. You certainly can't stop it if you keep letting in illegal, uneducated people into the country and don't educate them in the proper ways citzenship. If people in America really care about stopping HIV/AIDS we have to be willing to stop with the political/social agends (GOP/Christian-Right/Gay-rights/Illegal immigrant supporters) and treat like a epidemic.

AnonymousAnonymousover 18 years ago
You go!

This isn't about where it should be posted or submitted. This is an essay, and allowed to be on the site. For God's sake, it's a sex site, and AIDS should be talked about more often!! Get your head out of your asses, and wake the fuck up!

It's pathetic to see people rating you low due to opinions. What's the fucking problem with the essay? Is there any flaws that need to be addressed? Do you fucking people know what a "FLAW" is?

This essay was not only written to perfection, but it gives me a lot of respect for the author! Write on!!

Bridget69Bridget69over 18 years ago
A very sobering...

piece which raises awareness towards a subject that should be discussed on a site where sexuality is prevalent.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 18 years ago
Couldn't stand the heat

so you turned the voting off? I read this before.

oft-used - not with a hyphen.

who cannot - "that" cannot. You use the word "who" when you're speaking about a human being, not an animal. You are calling blacks animals. *rolls eyes*

Why not protect ourselves? - "us" would be correct.

Stop the one night stands. - "one-night" should be with a hyphen.

quick-fixes for the problem. - "quick fixes" without the hyphen

That's just the technical stuff.

Over-all, I think it's okay but it's definitely not cool for a porn board. Also, I would be sure to check for typos before you submit anything more. You're on your way, though.

AnonymousAnonymousover 15 years ago
You missed the main points

You get AIDS from someone that has AIDS. If they didnt have HIV you could not get HIV, thru blood, medical treatments, sex, eating after them, kissing, I will address those in a minute. The new medicines we have do prolong peoples lives after they are infected it doesnt cure them is just stops the progression of the disease. What that means is that people with no control, with no morals, with no concern for therr fellow human, have more chances to pass that infection on to many more people. Back to the original statement, it doesnt matter where the disease comes from, it doesnt matter what community has been infected, you only get the disease from someone who has it! Someone can tell me you cant get HIV from saliva, yeah right, you only get it from bodily fluids. Ever bit you cheek eating, bit your tongue, had teeth bleed, scrapped the inside of your mouth with you food? Ever coughed up blood or stomach fluids. What was that you said about not getting AIDS from kissing or eating after people, yes it is not as likely but it can and does happen. Remember the dentist that drooled saliva into his patients mouths in Jacksonville and the patients that then came down with AIDS from the dentist? Years ago to stop the transfer of the highly infectious TB people were put in sanitoriums and cared for to stop the widespread disease, better drugs came out that cured the disease, and it is not widely heard of now. Wonder why with a highly infectious disease that caused a death sentence we could not isolate the few original cases and stop the spread of the disease. Oh yes, it showed up in the homosexual community and it became a political disease not a death sentence. You didnt even have to name your sexual contacts like people with nonlethal STDs were forced to do. The highest rate of HIV is in Africa, the poor, medically deprived, ethnic populations that believe in sex at early ages. Now go back and read this essay again and realize this could have been stopped years ago but now is out of control. Then go to your local bar and pickup that barfly who fucked someone else last night and enjoy your erotic fling!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 13 years ago
Multi-fold

The social reasons are multiple as you noted back '05. This includes racial and penal and racism influences. International impact no matter how minor has to be screened out. World rates might over ride because these days immig policies mean only the richer officially make it. Question of vacations and sex complex, similarly across all eth groups. Some may correlate educational achievement. However the social economic points above overwhelm development study measures. Self expectation is ingrained by the age of 7-8. This makes such ed Comps statistically nearly totally unsound. Start to finish with parental ed background, income, and peer group expectations would have to be weighted. As would exam culture. The only real comparison is with other ethnics of comparable income and social circumstances, and ed culture division. I am sure their must be inter-state inter poverty studies but sympathetic?? Then you may begin to isolate meaningful culture influence. The resource issue impacts on condom wear, and availability. Culture IS dominated as you hint by economics.

Drug culture is another factor. Addicts are known higher ineffection rates. Bend honesty and no questions sex. (Pro's are more adept condom users than the community as a whole. Be careful in your thoughts.) However the poorer you are the more your social contacts and perceptions of wealth, and so bodily access are affected. All clinical addicts face a resource question but at the bottom the options are stark. The myths and reality of mexican border crossings and drugs again complex, but beg obvious ethnic impacts. Again inter-state checks. While there are safe sex, testing and treatment campaigns still REQUIRED with Spread underlined for the conservatively blind, recall even in 2005 some DAFT t . .ts thought it was a gay issue. The only plaster you can stick over this gaping wound for now, it seems, is to issue girls of 12! And above with a packet of C's and make access easy, with empathetic counselling. Hear the religious demons scream. We are talking about life sickness and lives, not screening morals into absurd camps. NB this includes the muslim Brotherhood to be clear; racism and religion-ism seeks any gate.. And making the serious and fatal affects part of boys of such ages, and mens thinking. This has to include death and hosp admission TRENDS and figures. The emphasis on the former to look for reasons and avoid This health issue becoming yet another racist flag. Doubts? Think how The President is reflected by some. By the blind to all else. The major sadness is that you do not need my studies or work experience to know this, no suprises for those that stop and even half think, the suprise is the bias and ranking in addressing it. The flu risks were escalated above . . . Wonder if the risks were more spread!! Please feel free to use THE Drift of this message all you like. White economist, with health And inequality studies, media awareness and social care experience. The truth is out there, a program once begun.

AnonymousAnonymousover 11 years ago

The big thing this essay misses:

most of the risk of a black woman getting infected with HIV comes from having a partner who is a hard drug user(coke/meth/opiates).

It isn't just STD testing of partners that needs to be encourage: but drug testing.

Swingers and non-drug using prositutes are actually moderate risk populations for HIV.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 8 years ago

They do teach about hiv and how its spread in schools. Its just that the public school systems teachings of sexual health is laughibly incomplete. Sexual health and the reproduction system come at the very end of the school year after EOCs are taken and school is taken a lot less seriously. I took anatomy and physiology honors in my senior year of HS (which just ended) and they didn't even go over sex and the reproductive system because they were trying to graduate seniors with last min shit, theyre disorganized and used the whole schoolyear to teach for the EOC which had nothing on sex in any form. The whole public school system needs to be done over again. Schools only teach for the test (end of coarse exams) and dont actually teach youth about things they actually need to know for real life. I took HOPE (health optimized physical education) in my sophomore year and again, incomplete, and didnt go over the many STDs one can contract or even how to put a condom on properly or ALL the different types of birth control, i had to go on youtube to find out how to do that when i was 15 or 16 but at that time i wasnt really concerned about satisfying my own sexual needs until i was 15 or 16 (i was a late bloomer). I know everything i do now because i did my own research and my mom taught me some about sex (im a child of a single mother, daddoesnt care for being in my life). Now statistically i should have my own child now, considering my background, ethnicity, socio economic condition, and that im not 21 yet and am not married, but i beat the odds. But some people arent so lucky. In school they dont even tell you go go online for the wealth of info to fill in the gaping gaps school left behind.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous