All Comments on 'A Man Among Women'

by Dinsmore

Sort by:
  • 125 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousabout 18 years ago
utter fantasy

Total crap showing a complete ignorance of US working practices and even legal requirements. don't waste our time with this.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 18 years ago
Please DO waste out time....

I am more than a little confused by the previous review. I read this, expecting some good fiction. I got it. I have no idea what working practices or legal requirements the previous reviewer is commenting about. I have seen virtually everything mentioned here happen many times over the last 30 years, with nobody going to jail. And if the story was that bad, why read all 4 pages of it?

AnonymousAnonymousabout 18 years ago
Not a waste of time.

Not what I expected. Actually, it was far better. A nice easy read that makes the reader go 'hmmm' at the end. It's good that a story like this comes along once in a while. A pleasant break from the bad things that happen in so many stories here.

DinsmoreDinsmoreabout 18 years agoAuthor
I seldom respond to dumb reviews but utter fantasy

I love people who don't understand that we are writing "fiction" and also assume that every story is told in the present time. I'm convinced that, "utter fantasy" is just another lame troll with his or her head in a dark place without the guts to sign the crap they write.

The more I consider the blatant stupidity...uh, oh, I'm getting pissed!

Almost thirty years ago, I interviewed with a company much like the one in the story. That interview inspired the story---the rest is F-I-C-T-I-O-N!!!! didn't go to work for them but did end up spending 26 years with another company with a fair mix of men and women and I'm confident that I'm not that far off the mark.

I modernized the military part; when I was an Army officer flying medivacs in Vietnam, we didn't have any women aviators.To tie the military piece in I had to move forward in time. My son is a military officer who has served in combat and he felt that my overall view of the modern military female officer was reasonable.

I assume we have been visited by someone who works in Human Resources which used to be Personnel. What did Clint Eastwood as Dirty Harry say? Oh, yea, now I remember: "Personnel? Personnel is for ass holes."

Dinsmore

gatorhermitgatorhermitabout 18 years ago
Great Story!

Your writing is unusally powerful. I don't know what you do for a living, but dude, you need to find a publisher - you have talent.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 18 years ago
KUDO's - Then A comment on A Comment on A

Comment. A strong effort Author - you are very much appreciated for your talent, time and imagination.

Regarding Author comments upon comments - I would recommend that you sit back if you can to wait and see how the people who appreciate you deal with non-rational commentators. What an Author owes us is only what they have already provided to read.

Responsible writers expend a reasonable amount of time researching for plausiblity as you did. I felt you came across just fine but then I wasn't nit picking at non-essentials.

In a short story, a certain amount of latitude in detail is necessary and understood by reasonable readers (this to avoid epistles). Secondly, this isn't a paid professional writer site as much as some authors like this one approach that level.

As you will see I am anonymous and plus or minus pointwise it has no bearing on the rationality or validity of the stated position or reason for comment. All of us can be equally right or wrong or drunk!

Again Author - suggest you hesitate as we all should before commenting. In your case, wait to see how others address unreasonable people or comments, then if you absolutely must - do as you feel necessary but nothing is ever owed beyond your story.

Thanks Again Author - With High Regard (More please)

AnonymousAnonymousabout 18 years ago
kudos

kudos on a fine story.

it had some weakness IMHO, too much time was spent on the intro & job interview, less on the vital changes (which could have used more detail) and the ending of years was summarized and lost immediancy. some of the how-tos here might be of use.

but still a stellar effort.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 18 years ago
"Airborne"

I was an Army Infantry Officer in Vietnam. The sentiments shown in your story about how an officer feels about his men is a truism that most people don't know about. Keep up the good work.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 18 years ago
Great

Another of your great corporate stories! I like the type of characters you write about.

Boyd

AnonymousAnonymousabout 18 years ago
Another Home Run!

I really enjoy reading your work, and am glad I stumbled across this site, and ultimately your stories. Keep em' coming.

AnonymousAnonymousover 17 years ago
A

totally absorbing story,I enjoyed it immensely.

Irish_DomIrish_Domover 17 years ago
Great!

Other than a couple of english mistakes (grammer or spelling) the was a very enjoyable read. Continue to write please. Would love to read more from you.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 17 years ago
Ooh Rah!

This is the first of your stories I have read but I intend to read them all. You are a first rate storyteller and have a gift for expressive dialogue. Keep up the good work!

JackofMyTradeJackofMyTradeabout 17 years ago
Another home run.

I always look for your stories and this one was, as usual, top flight. I'm slowly working my way down your list of stories. Good job.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 17 years ago
THANK YOU.

That's it...just THANK YOU.

ReadsalotReadsalotover 16 years ago
Damn!

You are GOOD!

DRSPEAKDRSPEAKover 16 years ago
Needs a wider audience

Excellent work. I have never served but I believe your presentation of our military people, while limited by the limits of the genre, show a side that needs to be seen by the general public. We do not often here enough about the "human" side of our military and sometimes forget that they are good people doing a tought job (and except for rare variations) doing it well. I hope as a writer you seek other outlets for your work to give the general public an opportunity to experience your work and to build a better understanding of the people that serve their country. Thanks.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 16 years ago
you are the best

Outstanding as usual. I read your short stories over and over. Thank You!

FarahKhanFarahKhanover 15 years ago
ONE in a MILLION

Thank you so much for such an entertaining story. I am a big fan.

AnonymousAnonymousover 15 years ago
Super Story

This is an excellent story. I have just become acquainted with your stories and am working my way through them in their alphabetical order. You have an exceptional talent that enables the reader to connect with your characters on an emotional level. You were able to hold my attention even without any sexual scenery. I am looking forward to reading more of your stories.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 15 years ago
A very minor nit, but hard to swallow.

A superb officer, a pilot, with ten years of experience would almost certainly be either a Major or a LTC. typically after one years service a 2LT is promoted to a 1LT, after another year or so, at most two years officers the Army want to retain make Captain. After six years as a Captain if you don't make Major, you are released. Up or Out is the Army way. And aviators usually are one rank higher than other branches, because they command so many officers, all the pilots are at least warrant officers. And the higher pay helps with retention.

Based on my experience both as an army brat and 2 years in the Signal Corps 1969/71 military experience does not help in the business world. It may get you in the door for an entry level job, but Bob is a very, very unique individual to go from military to business at a high level without any intervening experience. Management is not leadership. Leadership helps, but Business is not about killing people and breaking things.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 15 years ago
3 pages of comments - see the first one

Read the oldest comment in this thread - Dinsmore, you are a genius

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 15 years ago
GREAT STORY

EXCELLENT STORY, VERY NICE DETOUR, NO SLEAZE. MOAT ENJOYABLE

OleTroubadorOleTroubadoralmost 15 years ago
Abosutely Superb

The tale never faltered. You developed the characters and made them live. Beautifully rendered.

RicanbanditRicanbanditover 14 years ago
Excellent

This was a great story, well done! carefully thought out and had great dialog to boot. I actually liked some of the marketing ideas as well!

thanks will look for more of your work to digest!

AnonymousAnonymousover 14 years ago
Begginings

A story needs to grab you within the first 4 or 5 paragraphs, whereas this rambled on indefinately...

AnonymousAnonymousover 14 years ago
really?

That may have been a decent story- but it was in no way erotica. It was pretty much just bland plot- completely devoid of any sexual energy- much less actual sex.

humminbeanhumminbeanover 14 years ago
To previous commentator:

This was posted in "non -erotic." The word "non-erotic" means "no sex." Still, you complain about no sex. Do us all a favor: take some money, go to the store, and get yoruself a clue.

AnonymousAnonymousover 13 years ago

I would expect a storyline of this quality, after all it is on the top list. It is difficult for intelligence to be covered up in an article of this length. The story held my interest and I truly enjoyed it. Kudos

AnonymousAnonymousover 13 years ago
What a load of arrogant pomy crap.

Need I say moore?

auhunter04auhunter04almost 13 years ago
oned a good read

once a good read always a good read

have you ever noticed those with snide remarks is always that anonymous guy. I figure if I have something critical to say sign my name. Snide remarks are best left in the bar-ditch and unsigned ones dont even deserve that much respect

deJay_13deJay_13almost 13 years ago
Great story

Forget the ignorant comments from such perverted children as "anonymous". If they really need to feed their tiny egos and filthy minds with toilet wall writing, let them stay with other venues that cater to the lower forms of "life".

You write extremely well. Keep up the good work.

de Jay

deJay_13deJay_13almost 13 years ago
Pity

Pity the ignorant, childish comments from cowards like "anonymous".

"What a load of arrogant pomy crap." "POMY"? What is that?

"Need I say moore?" "MOORE"? "Michael Moore"? That would be the kind of low class slime that could be expected to be used as a reference for such cowardly comments.

de Jay

awsume_ankitawsume_ankitalmost 13 years ago
loved it and hated Mr. Anonymous

truly a great piece of work, loved it... What a shame some people don't know the 'D' of 'Literature' yet take the pain to comment (they do believe literature begins with D... LOL). Mr. Anonymous uses advanced english. Some of the words used by him will be adopted by the dictionaries post the end of humanity. ''Moore!!!''Huh...

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
Really great

Your character development is exceptional in any setting but especially in a short story such as this. Great job and I hope to be privaleged to read many more!!

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
A Master Craft

Great story line. Loved it from the bottom of my heart. Felt every conversation and every other thing thats going on as if it's happening right befor my eyes. Thank u.

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
A work of art

Riveting characters, a terrific story and the challenges of change ! The only problem was that it was much too short ; I felt disappointed when it ended so soon.

ydderfydderfover 12 years ago
Thanks

Well written,well characterized,and well enjoyed. Thanks,please keep writing. As others have said my only complaint deals with the story being short. I hated saying goodbye to Bob and Meagan.

brujaybrujayover 12 years ago
A Great Read

It fits the catagory, though it could have been a Romance if written with a slightly different emphasize. I thoroughly enjoyed it and have re-read it several times.

Thank you for sharing your story with us. Maybe some day you'll share another......it has been far too long.

DinsmoreDinsmoreabout 12 years agoAuthor
I Really like this story

It was one of my favorite to write and based on SO many real life events. The negative comments---always by people who do not have the guts to identify themselves still take their toll.

In the end, all I can say is, thank you Megan. Thank you for bringing me home.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 12 years ago
Dinsmore, Excellent

I read and reread your stories. I enjoy them all but this one is the best. I do hope you write more of them. Given my life experiences and what I perceive to be yours we do have more than a few things in common which makes your excellent writing and story lines often very emotional for me to read, but I do enjoy them.

Thanks

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 12 years ago
Wow!

This story is just plain wonderful! Very nicely written and very believable!

Thanks for sharing your talent!

AnonymousAnonymousover 11 years ago
Well Done!

My favorite story on Literotica by one of my favorite authors. Please keep writing.

ambush184ambush184about 11 years ago
Great!

Very well written and very enjoyable. Just goes to show you don't need sex to have a good story.

drmrbludrmrblualmost 11 years ago
Good Read!

Thanks for sharing this well written story with us. This is one of those stories that could probably be fleshed out into a novel length tale. Some time ago I had wanted to read this one but it escaped me. I am most happy it crossed my path again, or should it be said allowed me to trip over it with recognition. It definitely lived up to my expectations. Please continue sharing your thoughts with all of us.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 11 years ago
great

better/best than most

gulshannraygulshannrayover 10 years ago
A MAN among WOMEN

One of the very best stories I have read in Literotica.. Hope to read more of similar class/category stories.KEEPIT UP.

OverthefallsOverthefallsover 10 years ago
One of the best stories on this site

No matter the number of times I read it, it never gets old or stale. A simply wonderful story. Well done!

OLDEDOLDEDabout 10 years ago
YA DONE GOOD KID

Ya done your wife proud!.

ED

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 10 years ago
there truly exists, almost,

persons in this 5 star tale.

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
Thank you

Bob, Megan and Dinsmore. I suppose this is the third time I've read this story, all the more wonderful for the service background and the lack of overt sex.

I know it has been a while, but please consider writing in this genre again.

teedeedubteedeedubover 9 years ago
Superb

Thanks for sharing. Oh, to be appreciated......

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
Damn good story

There aren't many stories on this site that warrant reading more than once, I can't remember how many times i've read this story.

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
ain't nothing but here but:

excellent story telling

5****************************

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
Love it

What I have just read sounds like the backbone of a damned good novel.

Cursive writing, to be sure, but accurate and hardly a word wasted.

73

HP

AnonymousAnonymousabout 9 years ago
this is the best of the best.

a couple others in non erotic are excellent, but this i step above all of them.

phil2213phil2213about 9 years ago
Amazingly powerful story

Ethics and hard work lead to good things happening most of the time. This was a totally enjoyable read. Thanks for the five stars effort.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 9 years ago
about every 6 months

have to read this magnificent piece again and again.

5 stars******

Chief3BlanketChief3Blanketalmost 9 years ago
Wonderful

Second reading, enjoyed it more than the first time several months ago. There are scattered in the Literoica site stories that make one ask why this story is not being published by main stream publishers. Then you realize due to the internet there are very few magazines left that publish short stories.

kjohns2001kjohns2001almost 9 years ago
How did you do it?

I have a burning question in my mind. How did you (the author) manage to make a story about corporate America both thrilling and interesting? You surely realise that you have managed to do the almost impossible, right? If you expand this into a full length book it would be a hit in my opinion. It has almost everything in it, adventure, romance, an extremely compelling story line and characters that are both human and believable. The writing is superb as well. I know there is a huge difference between the short story format and book format, but the extra effort and time that it would take to bring this story to book length would be worth it. That it might result in a financially profitable end for the author is just an added bonus.

sameer73sameer73over 8 years ago
wow

A really nice tale of corporate world. keep writing

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
2x a year

5 stars for a great tale

gldngolfergldngolferover 8 years ago
A down right good story!

Enjoyed the story from beginning to end. Your characters were real and likable. Understand why story not put in Romance, but could've been IF you detailed Megan and Bob's story.

Enjoyed it very much.

gangstercitygangstercityover 8 years ago
Awesome

Nice piece of work... would love to see more

roveroneroveroneover 8 years ago
Liked it a LOT...

tho curious why posted on Lit given this site's focus, unless you just want to keep all your work on one site.

Written as if autobiographical, not that's at all bad-certainly likable characters

CharliegutzacheCharliegutzachealmost 8 years ago
WOW OMG

wow u have just reached into my heart an very gently tugged on it in a very moving way that I have never felt before with any story or novel I have ever read, I have served in the Australian military, only long enough to realize I don't have the right stuff, as a result I have a very big, squishy, soft spot for all military personnel, an u had me in tears 3 times when Megan was retelling some of her story to Mary, when the Cpt said to the Lt, take me home babe, when the Megan said she would die for him, an lastly when she said about God & heaven, an he said u done good kid.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 8 years ago
Excellent Story

To the idiot anonymous who commented on captain promotion times. I just checked wiki, and it states that the typical pormotion service time for a major is 9 to 11 years of service. The army would have offered him the major promotion if he decided to stay but he left. Thus you have demonstrated that your intelligence is on the lower half of the IQ scale (i.e., you are a dummy!).

To the author, don't worry about commenters who make idiot statements. This was a well written story and plot.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 8 years ago
A good story

I liked the story, but I couldn't really connect with the characters. Probably because of the dialogue: it was sometimes hard to tell which character was talking, and that made it confusing. But I really liked the story and the sentiment.

rightbankrightbankover 7 years ago
a great story

I loved the people, their interactions, and the depth of character. Dinsmore took a suggestion and turned it into a challenge.

He Done Good!

I am only sorry this wasn't submitted in Romance in order to have had a wider audience. This story deserves to be read by more.

SampkyangSampkyangover 7 years ago
I know this is a fantsy story

BUT a lot of it is true.....The pilots were very brave with plenty of risk. We didn't get a lot of casualties but when they were desperate and we were the closest medical unit...I was so very proud of my troops, the whinny immature kids came alive....It was like magic we remembered everything we were taught and demanded EVERYTHING we had to save the troops in our care. I don't know why but I yelled at an aircraft commander once to get the injured troops to us quickly and we would save them. WE DID and he saluted me two ranks below...Surreal? After it was all over I still cry a lot...

rightbankrightbankover 7 years ago
a great story

thanks for writing a realistic and very enjoyable love story that transitions smoothly from the military to the corporate world.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
outstanding

cupple more pages

5 star

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
most talented author

among only a dozen or so talented tale tellers

5 stars

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
wrapped up...

too quickly...I wanted more...but then maybe I'm being greedy...^^

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 7 years ago
best the best

5 stars for sure

YvesmiYvesmialmost 7 years ago
No story

In my opinion this should be named "Superman amongst women". Solves all the problemes singlehanded. No Drama, no kriptonite.

DrakkarNoirDrakkarNoiralmost 7 years ago
What? No sex?

Damn right. Sex would have spoiled a great story, well written. I loved it.

TTEDTTEDover 6 years ago
ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT

5 STARS....THANK YOU FOR TAKING US ON THIS JOURNEY....AND WE DIDN'T NEED THE SEX BECAUSE THE STORY WAS BREATHTAKING ENOUGH....I AM REALLY ENJOYING ALL OF YOUR STORIES THAT I HAVE READ SO FAR....MANY THANKS FROM NEW ZEALAND....

AnonymousAnonymousabout 6 years ago
TOP

I found this story @ #3 on the "Top Non Erotic" list which this excellent story and writer certainly deserve.

Thanks

Paul in Oklahoma

AnonymousAnonymousabout 6 years ago
You Did Good!

Another excellent story with outstanding characters. I have worked with a few officers like Bob. They are few and far between and not what most would expect. Sometimes a rare jewel of an officer is promoted without the normal years in service required. You did a great job of keeping everything in line both in the military and corporate business. Thanks for taking the time to write and share. A solid 5 star effort.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 6 years ago

I think I’ve read all of this author’s stories, and this is my favorite. I wish there was a little more story to it, but it is what it is. I just wish “Dinsmore” would post more stories. I think he’s one of the best authors on Literotica.

devildog0302devildog0302over 5 years ago
Well done

An outstanding story...

DogFuzzDogFuzzover 5 years ago
Damn Man

Very impressive story and really well written. Something for everyone. For all of us who have seen combat, thank you. Our citizens should never forget the scarifices that our men and women provide our country.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
Totally Excellent!!

I flew with Air Rescue and Recovery in SEA. 69-70. We rescued shot downed pilots in Laos, South Viet Nam and North Viet Nam. Sometimes even extracting LRP guys. This story brought back some vivid memories. I served with a Commander almost identical to Bob in the story. Thank you so very much for such a great plot. The flow of the story was very good, the characters were excellent, the whole damn thing was just excellent!!!!

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Couldn't let go

This story by Dinsmore really keeps one's attention. I was hoping my wife would not call me for dinner before I finished reading it.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Reread again.

So every few months I return to this nice story. One of many of the author's I like to reread.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Great Story of Military Veterans

Glad he hooked up with his LT. Copilot! Enjoyed

BatonRouge Cajun Guy

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
I am rereading this

as the malls are closing and thinking of the marketing of the beauty products I used to see with a kiosk for every manufacturer and an attractive woman staffing them usually from in front of the counter. Yes change is happening.

Nice touch to write the extraction story from both pilots perspective.

Your "war stories" are really leadership stories. I enjoy them and learn from them.

Thank you

DinsmoreDinsmoreover 4 years agoAuthor
Thank you for the kind words!

They are truly appreciated.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
Great storyline

Great read wanted it to be longer

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago

This was lovely. I don't make my way into this category too often but I love what I have read. I figured that I would read the top hall of fame stories.

I guess I will just need to use my perverted mind to imagine the glorious hot sex between Bob and Megan. Lol

KRD19254KRD19254over 3 years ago

6*, Hooyah, salute! nothing more needs to be said. A Dust-off saved my life.

Rancher46Rancher46over 3 years ago

One of the best written stories I have read so far on this site. Stories like this are such a pleasure to read you just can't stop reading them until you get the end. This definitely get my 5+ stars vote.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Damned good

and very well-told.

Thank You

HP

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Read this again 6 days after Veterans Day 5*

As a son, grandson, brother. nephew and friend of veterans, two of which where either helicopter pilot or machine gunner in various wars our country has been involved, I have alway supported military personnel and families! Great Read from a talented author!.

Thanks from Baton Rouge Cajun Guy

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago
3rd time read

I keep coming back b/c it helps to keep me sane.

I lost 10 " in country" and 1 the 1st month home.

I just sit rereading and the tears flow for those we lost and the ones still lost in their own minds.

Thanks again,

Sole Survivor

BabalooieBabalooiealmost 3 years ago

A very impressive story; original, imaginative and refreshing. Five star slam dunk. I have to admit that I'm jealous. I wish I could write like this author. This was my second read and it gets better all the time. I know I'm late to this party, but the story is timeless. One of the best I've read on this site. Hope the rest of your stories are just as good. Well done.

12
Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous