All Comments on 'Story Tags: What They Are, & How to Use Them'

by Literotica

Sort by:
  • 37 Comments
duddle146duddle146about 18 years ago
Marvelous Writing Aid!

Literotica,

Let's see, took a minute to save this to a Microsoft Works Word Processing Document for future reference. What a wonderful guideline.

GirlWatchinGirlWatchinabout 18 years ago
Uhhh.. That's nice, but...

Really great theory, and a wonderful idea, but definitely lacking in important specifics. For example, where and when and how do we place these tags? When I submit my story? Or, can I go back to the story that I already published and add tags to it to attract more readers? How? Or do I just put a list of tags at the bottom of the story when I submit it? Or do the tags have to go someplace else? Or do I have to submit my story with tags (in some as yet to be determined place) in html?

Come on, I'd like to be able to do this, but maybe you could give another clue or two as to how.

TanukiTanukialmost 18 years ago
Tags not being saved

I changed my tags, but it doesn't save, my stories still show the randomly generated ones.

It's a good idea I think, once more writers start using it.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 17 years ago
Confused...

Read thru all this about "story tags" several times, but never did figure out how they're used or where they're used. Need some actual examples of where they go, when they're put in, and how they're used.

floweringquincefloweringquinceabout 17 years ago
Thanks!

I found this very helpful.

LEATBTLEATBTabout 17 years ago
Story Tags?

How are these supposed to work? In my last two stories both MMF and thighboots were placed in the tags, plus eight others, but they don't bring the stories up in a search. Is there a missing link that needs sorting?

AnonymousAnonymousover 16 years ago
Love it!

Thank You...I used your advice and the tags worked wonders!

Clare_CaClare_Caabout 15 years ago
Yippy...:)!

Oh...! Thanks so--ooo, so--ooo much...:) Very helpful...:) I had no idea...Thx...Kisses...:)

JateJatealmost 14 years ago

After applying some clever ingenuity to actually find the search tags page I tried both victorian and victorian era. I was hoping to find some historicals but most of the stories were either modern day costume parties or Victoria was in the first or last name. I think that is something similar to your situation at the beginning of this essay.

2p1k32p1k3almost 14 years ago
Fetish

I think Impregnation should be added as a fetish

VBallNatalie182VBallNatalie182over 13 years ago
Story Tags Question

Is it better to add a short, general tag or a long, specific one? For example is "teenage girl" better than "petite blonde teenage girl" since it's broader and more likely to be searched for? If that's the case, then this essay and the Literotica FAQ are contradictory. Overall, however, this is a great resource for new writers like myself.

CadiaCadiaover 13 years ago
Is it possible ...

... to add some tags after having completed the submission? I mean after the story is online? If there is some to answer my question, please use simple words, because I am not a native english writer). Thanks for any answer!

FeotakahariFeotakahariabout 12 years ago

For reference by anyone reading this: tags can be added retroactively, by the same process used to edit stories. Check the site FAQ.

sinfulseductresssinfulseductressalmost 12 years ago
One for the list

I would consider a *sexual deviant* a participant as far as your list of tags goes. But I suppose that would probably be tagged *deviant* since sexual is too common of a word. Also, the word Seductress (as in my name) could also be tagged as a participant. This is a really good *how to and I found a lot of things that I didn't know explained here. Thanks

romancerromanceralmost 10 years ago
How to change story tags

I note that one story of mine that has very good ratings has tags that make little sense. How do I change them once submitted??? Please feel free to email me any suggestions/directions.

gregorylthgregorylthabout 9 years ago
trouble

how to put in story tags in my poetry. please help. also why no feedback?

jacquioh2jacquioh2about 9 years ago
Tag Published Stories

Is there a way to add tags to an already published story?

LUSTYWHEELSLUSTYWHEELSalmost 8 years ago
This is my biggest pet peeve

I love lit but it is impossible to find most stores using tags due to incorrect usage.Thanks 4 a guide i hope people use it

I want readers who comment using username to be able to suggest tags when they are missing. if 5 people suggest the same tag on a story it should be added.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 8 years ago
Point of View

One thing not listed above that every story has is Point of View (POV). Is the story being told in first person (eg: "then, I opened the door, and...") second person (eg: "then, you opened the door, and...") or third person (eg: "then, he opened the door, and..."). For stories in first and second person and for third person stories that have a main character, a tag with the gender identity of the storyteller / main character is also beneficial. Finally, for stories in which a power imbalance is prominent, whether the storyteller / main character is active / dominant or responsive / submissive is good to know as well. So, one could have tags like POV-3rd-M or POV-1st-F or POV-3rd-F-Sub or POV-1st-F-Dom etc. I reckon that somewhere there's appropriate abbreviations for the full list of the 50-70 Facebook gender identity categories, but I couldn't find such a list when I tried, so I stuck with "F" and "M" in my examples.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 8 years ago
Tag Taxonomy

Another thing that would make for better tag based searches would be if people had the ability to tell the search engine about the degree of similarity between different tags. The advice not to create new versions of tags that have the same meaning as extant tags given at ( www.literotica.com/s/story-tags-additional-tips ) is good, but I doubt that it will be followed a lot. It would be nice to be able to give the search engine pairs of tags and a number (say, percentage) estimating degree of similarity between them. For transitive similarity, percentages could be multiplied. Then, people could set a degree of similarity for the inclusion of additional tags to the ones they list.

Farrah52Farrah52over 7 years ago
Can tags be edited?

Can you edit your tags once your submission has been posted? I did not realize the importance of the tags. If I cannot edit the tags can I then resubmit my story with tags?

slimeyslimeyover 7 years ago
let readers add tags!

Numerous gallery sites (ie. Gelbooru) let users propose or challenge tags, and I think that's needed here as well. For example, I just read a long running series that has edging as a persistent feature and plot point, and yet the author didn't think of the story that way. Another story had strong age play elements. Etc etc. I think readers of stories know what they're looking for, and you should let them help out other users.

ThelvynerThelvyneralmost 7 years ago
Tags

And if an author leaves off a tag like incest, rape, torture, etc, they should be boiled in oil.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 7 years ago
I can't find the story that liked verymuch

The story was about older man from london his name is Nik and Cassandra young woman. A very romantic story with happy ended. I could't find it anymore. The title was meant for each other or something like that. Please any one can help.

EmmintEmmintalmost 7 years ago
Editing Tags

I would like to change tags but can't find anything that tells me how to do this.

Tigger_LillyTigger_Lillyover 5 years ago
Wow! Thanks...

What a powerful resource! Thanks so much!

PhaetalliaPhaetalliaover 5 years ago
How to add tags

This is a great resource thank you.

How can I add story tags after they've been published? Ive been trying everything and can't seem to find ca way to go back and do this.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
Definition

what is the difference between WACC and RACC? Thank you.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

How can one tell which tags are more popular? What does the size of the tag/font signify?

joela_99yjoela_99yover 2 years ago

This seems to be the only way for me to contact the owners/administrators about "tags". While i agree the creators of the content, writers and artists, should be allowed to come up with the tags for their works. From another point of view there should be some kind of standardization, that would help the audience find the kind of works and stories that they are looking for.

There are many tags that are essentially duplicates of each other. some examples:

big dick - big cock

creampie - cream pie

crossdressing - cross dressing

female dominant - female domination

werewolf - werewolves

tranny - what kind exactly

I would think that Literotica could make a standardized list of tags, that the creator had to match, unless he had a 'new' tag that didn't exist.

yarnspinnerryarnspinnerrover 2 years ago

I see another comment asking the question I have. How can I add tags to a story after it's been published?

I some of my earlier works, I now realize I didn't have enough tags.

LuckyLuckyabout 2 years ago

CHANGING / ADDING TAGS

In the main FAQ, under the section for SUBMISSIONS, there is the following subsection on this topic:

* I want to change the Tags on a submitted work, but want to keep the rest of my work unchanged. How do I do that?

Please follow the instructions for submitting a story edit [ https://literotica.com/faq/05235347.shtml#05313767 ]. If you only want to change the Tags, fill out the story title field as "STORYTITLE-EDIT", then fill in the Tags blocks. In the "Story Text" field, write "TAGS EDIT ONLY".

NOTE: The above instruction actually differ slightly from what it says in the linked section on submitting a story edit, AND the entry below it, but this slightly simplified version does work. You do NOT have to re-submit the whole story. For easier reference, those two other subsections say:

* I've re-edited my story and want to replace the posted version with my new edited one. How do I do this?

No problem! Simply submit the new version as you submitted the old one, only adding the word "EDITED" to the title (ex. "My Sexy Firefighter Ch. 03 - EDITED") so that we know to replace the old text with the new text. We will then replace the original text with the new text. Your story will retain its previous voting score and views.

Edited stories take up to 48 hours to appear correctly on the site as the pages must be regenerated by the site scripts. If after 48 hours your submission edits are still not showing, please email us a link to the work in question.

* How do I change the category, title, tags, or description of my story or poem?

Simply follow the instructions above. In the Author's Note section of the submission, please note what changes you are making - category, title, tags, or description.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago
Needs a better system

Tags need to be standardized or allow for user suggested tags. Most stories are missing basic tags such as characters, relationships or content.

Searching by tag at this point is more likely to omit a relevant story than include it.

tenyaritenyariabout 1 year ago

1. Needs more detail. Use the web wayback machine and look up the definitions for tags from Usenet and the now gone ASSTR (that was the place Usenet stuff was archived on).

2. There IS a standardized system to these that's been around since the 1980s. Every tag listed here should have it's definition next to it.

3. You cannot fix your tags once your story goes out without resubmitting it. So Authors really need to get these right, but there's not enough guidance telling them how to and how important it is for being searchable.

4. This page should be 'front and center' linked next to the form to add tags, and for readers it should appear as a link under the list of tags for a story.

5. Stories should be able to edit their tags without needing a re-submission unless they tag into categories known by the mods to be 'trouble spots'... :)

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userLiterotica@Literotica
2124 Followers
Hello world! The 2024 Literotica Special Contests Schedule is here: https://forum.literotica.com/threads/author-organized-challenge-list-2024-updated-jan-23.1601234/ The 2024 Literotica Author-Organized Challenge List is here: https://forum.literotica.com/threads/author-orga...