All Comments on 'The Art of Writing Smut'

by Boxlicker101

Sort by:
  • 21 Comments
Aurora BlackAurora Blackalmost 18 years ago
Smooth & Sexy

Very well done, Box. I had no idea that writing smut was that complex. Very educational.

Good luck in the contest.

Selena_KittSelena_Kittalmost 18 years ago
Wow!

I learned quite a lot! :) Not the least of which is: "Nothing should be done in excess and that includes realism." Taking that one to heart. Thanks, Boxy, great how-to!

angelicminxangelicminxalmost 18 years ago
Good one!

While you know I have an aversion to 'ly' words :)in writing, this piece was well written. Good luck, hon. ~Minx

duddle146duddle146almost 18 years ago
Ah Yes...!

The King of Smut has spoken folks. This man knows all the folds, the holes, the ins, the outs, Ah...Boxlicker...the Smut Writer's best friend. Don't set down at your computer without his article. *laughing* Good on you!

impressiveimpressivealmost 18 years ago
Sm'Art

;) That's Sm(ut) Art. You're a master, Box.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 18 years ago
um

Excuse me, but just because you like women with huge breasts doesn't mean everyone does. Realism is important in a good story and not every woman in the world has enormous breats.

Other then that, it was okay but geez, please let people know it's just your opinion. If we all took your advice every erotic story would be the same and boring boring boring.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 18 years ago
All i can see

is an article stating the bleedin' obvious!

Although it omitted one of my pet hates: stories that begin with a lengthy discourse on how he had blue eyes, brown hair...and she had black hair and large, 44ddd tits; etc, etc...yawn!

My Erotic TrailMy Erotic Trailalmost 18 years ago
Art

I found that there is an Art to everything and feel as though you covered the Art of Writing Smut ...very well

good luck (~_~) Art~

OroroStormOroroStormalmost 18 years ago
Smut vs Erotica

What is the difference?

MunachiMunachialmost 18 years ago
...

while i usually write and read a different type of stories, it's quite interesting to read about how to write smut... and of course writing is also about trying out different things, so maybe at some point i should try to write a story that goes more into that direction...

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 18 years ago
Interesting insight...

This was a most interesting insight into the world of smut writing. I've enjoy most of the submissions but got the most out of this one.

neonlyteneonlytealmost 18 years ago
Illuminating

Box... you are a national treasure, a guy who knows what he wants and how to get there.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 18 years ago
Well-crafted

and informative--I would NEVER have thought of "oscillating legs."

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 18 years ago
Love your writing style.

Whatever way you're writing, you're doing it correctly because you make me very turned on! Love your descriptions, and your enthusiasm for sex is very evident. Ive never wanted to meet a porn producer or story writer before, but you have me intrigued! You know what women want....that's a fact!

Just delicious...mmmmmmmm

Susie xxxxxx

lindianalindianaalmost 18 years ago
Taking notes....

because we all know my stories are not smutty enuf.

*winks*

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 18 years ago
Did not read the story

I voted 5 anyway.

AnonymousAnonymousover 15 years ago
So True

"Your computer will not catch all grammatical mistakes so careful editing for them and for spelling errors is necessary."

Like when you use the term roll-playing instead of role-playing. :wink:

AnonymousAnonymousover 11 years ago

I think you went really, REALLY heavy on the idealized sex here, and you spoke in way too many absolutes. I've been writing smut for a good ten years, and all of that time having it read by a lot of other people, so I feel confident saying I have some degree of authority in this matter. You say to avoid overly flowery or silly words to describe sex organs, then talk about "round hardness?" Come on. You also don't seem to actually know how anal sex works, which is pretty vital if someone wants to write male/male.

Your style may have served you to some degree, but the amount of restrictions and "this always happens" in this article does anyone reading it a great disservice.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 10 years ago
Licking sound

How would you spell the sound of licking pussy?

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 10 years ago
Fantasy in Excess

First, thank you for giving descriptions of scenes. I have trouble with word choice, so it's helpful to see what others use so that I know what vocabulary to keep and what vocab to throw away. Sensations and emotions are another thing that are hard for me to express in words. In that respect, this guide is very helpful, so thank you.

However, I'm getting some mixed messages form this line: "Just as in real life, things shouldn't always go smoothly or perfectly."

So why INSIST on things like this?:

"The men in smutty stories are likewise excellent physical specimens, although falling short of being Mr. America contenders. They are never fat or skinny or bald or have bad breath or anything else disagreeable, unless they are up to no good, such as committing sexual harassment or something comparable."

"All the women in smutty stories have big, firm breasts. Besides being big, they are sumptuous or luscious or succulent or bouncy or similar adjectives, and have big, sensitive nipples that become erect when licked or fondled. [...] Their actual size is of no importance anyhow, just as long as they are big."

What if I prefer medium- or smaller-sized breasts, or skinnier and shorter guys? What if I don't want to write about people impaling themselves on foot-long cocks ("impaling" comes across as a violent word to me -- acceptable for a rough and quick fuck, not so much for something slower)? What if I enjoy seeing a few inexperienced fools fumble around as they feel and taste new things that might not immediately turn them on, but they find a way around it anyway because in the end they're having fun exploring this new territory with someone else?

As you said, sex in fiction tends to be idealized for entertainment reasons, and people with "perfect" physiques (perfect being subjective) do indeed exist and fuck, sometimes fucking each other. But they aren't the only people in existence, and just as there is such a thing as realism in excess, there is fantasy in excess. There are many, many people with a high tolerance for that, but others lean more towards realism, enjoying the awkward moments and the imperfections because it makes the characters more endearing as they learn to work past that.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 6 years ago
Thanks 😊

This was actually very helpful for improving my...I'd say amateur, skill for writing smut.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous