All Comments on 'How to Get Your Characters Naked'

by sack

Sort by:
  • 23 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousalmost 18 years ago
I entirely...

...agree with you about the way so many writers overlook the importance of describing undressing sexily. one aspect you didn't cover, however, is the forcible or coerced removal of clothing in nonconsent situations, again often neglected by writers in that genre.

don-donna2don-donna2almost 18 years ago
Not sure what makes you an expert

I glanced thru a couple of your offerings and was not impressed

As fore removing clothes during rape stories

WHO CARES?

People who get excited reading them will be excited by whatever meas the clothes are removed

impressiveimpressivealmost 18 years ago
Of course ...

Nudity is only "required" for the Nude Day contest. *wink* Sex is quite possibly without it.

Nice job, sack. Good to see you back.

~Imp

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 18 years ago
Your story

has been mentioned in today's New Story Review Thread in the Author's Hangout. (Wonderful to see you back, Sack)

satyricon.21satyricon.21almost 18 years ago
depends on the story.........

.........doesn't it? if the characters are plausible, compelling, interesting, whatever, then how they get their clothes off is less interesting than how they feel while they're doing so.

on the block where i hang out, most of us don't think about undressing as something to be lingered over unduly, UNLESS it's part of deliberately provocative sexplay..

but go with what feels right: if you're writing and you're serious about it, whether it's for literotica or a pulitzer, you should be working at your own style, your own voice, your own skills, your own achievement.

that's got that off my chest. oh yes, and i disagree with an earlier comment: your work is pretty good.

regards

satyricon

Selena_KittSelena_Kittalmost 18 years ago
Unveiling...

Thanks for the reminder that undressing can be a true unveiling... nice work, Sack, good luck in the contest :)

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 18 years ago
I don't care

Some people just arn't as good as you I guess. You seem like the best writer and story telling in the world (Not) so what, rip the shit off, get to it. sometimes slow is good, but most time it does not matter

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 18 years ago
Catch up!

Aren't you running one competition late? :)

elfin_odalisqueelfin_odalisquealmost 18 years ago
Not necessarily

IMHO, it depends on the pace and plot. Sometimes undressing gets in the way and the story needs them to have 'clothes flying in all directions until they were naked'.

Agree that, handled poorly, it can make or break the eroticism though.

Good luck.

mabusmabusalmost 18 years ago
Good stuff.

Unfortunately, I have not been writing as much for awhile as I would like, though I am getting back into it. I agree that description is imperative, though sorely lacking in my more recent works. I appreciate the article. Keep it going.

S-DesS-Desalmost 18 years ago
Thank you!

But I could have used this a week ago :). I always struggle with these details. What is necessary and what begins to kill the eroticism because of too much description (or using lame descriptions). I would like to see you add something about varying the flow of the sentence structure. Someone just commented about another story of mine that I was too repetitive with how I structured the sentences, which caused the scene to have to much of a "documentary" feel. Considering how informative this is, I'd like to see your take on that aspect as well.

Good job, I promise to keep this at my fingertips for when I get stuck on the sex scenes (like I always do).

....S-Des

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 18 years ago
Food for thought

sack:

You have to fit the undressing to the situation, but I do have a suggestion to go along with your How To: How about someone (preferably a female) do an illustrated how to to show us mere males what all those various articles of female clothing are. What is a bustier and how do you spell it? What's a pegnoir? That would keep me from having to grab my J. C. Penny catalog.

Thank You and here's to your chances. Ronnie W.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 18 years ago
for what it's worth...

Here in the land Down Under, the only people who typically call briefs "briefs" are advertisers. Everyone else, men and women, calls them "undies". ("Panties"? They're for porn movies.) We say "women's undies" and "men's undies" but they're undies. If you read stories by Australian authors mentioning underwear and they say "panties" or "briefs", they're probably being inclusive for the rest of the world, or writing what one writes in pornos or erotica.

And we're raised speaking English here. If anything, using the word "undies" would make me check the author's bio and cheer if I saw they were Australian!

dizzyliadizzyliaalmost 18 years ago
Quality Basics

Great job of covering the basics, sack. Good tips to keep in mind for anyone!

Rumple ForeskinRumple Foreskinalmost 18 years ago
Great How-To

Shame you didn't enter it in the "How-To" contest. But a great addition to the category.

Rumple

AnonymousAnonymousover 15 years ago
Great

A very useful article which improved the erotic story I'm writing for my lover no end. I had dismissed with the clothes far too quickly, thinking like a guy, and the piece made me consider the undressing from a woman's point of view. And the suggestion to use all of the senses in the scene is a great idea! Five stars! :)

AnonymousAnonymousabout 15 years ago
Thank you

wow I've been writing such stories for years and haven't ever figured out how to do the "sex scenes". Thanks for givig me tips so now if i ever decide to submit i wont put whoever reads it to sleep. awesome

Jam876Jam876almost 14 years ago
Great Advice

I always have problems in describing my story scenarios and this was really appreciated keep on giving advice.

Mistress_JoliMistress_Joliover 12 years ago
Thank you

Thank you for posting this as I have been having trouble with this department for a new story I'm working on. Your suggestions helped me tremendously.

SalomeAhrimanSalomeAhrimanover 8 years ago
A Couple of Things to Remember

1. If you describe or list the articles of clothing being removed, don't forget articles of clothing. I read an excellent story on this site in which the author detailed the articles of clothing being removed but forgot to mention the shoes. On a character who had been outside in freezing weather before the sex scene!

2. Pay attention to the order. People almost never remove their pants before they take off their shoes. And if you have your characters doing that, you should know WHY and also describe the additional difficulties caused by such an irregular procedure.

Not sure if this should count as a separate item, but don't forget jewelry. A woman can safely leave simple studs in her pierced ears, but if she's wearing earrings that dangle down four inches while rolling around and struggling with her partner, especially if she has long hair for them to get tangled in, that could cause ... complications.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago

I have to respectfully disagree with your opinions on words for underwear. I suspect it's a cultural thing and you are from England or America. In Australia, "undies" is the most common word, along with "panties", though many people hate the word "panties". I've only heard "knickers" used by an Englishman. Bikini-briefs is fine, but if you say just bikini, Australian readers at least would assume you mean two piece swimwear not underwear! I would assume a man wearing a "bikini" was a cross-dresser.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Tina's tiny curved dick.

Hi I am named Tina after my x- she trained me to be obedient as I have learned ,Tina male sissy Now I have learned never to question her my Mistress T.

thomas_deanthomas_deanalmost 3 years ago

Any thing goes

"A glimpse of hose climbing down from a Hansen cab, sent men mad; now its rush - hurry - strip off Quick." Mr Humphreys (John Inman) in Are you Being Served?

The clothed body is said to represent an idealized version of what the unclothed body should look like. That's an interesting concept. The point that Sack makes is that the attraction is not so much of the natural state but with the anticipation created during the process of shedding. .

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous