All Comments on 'More'

by Decayed Angel

Sort by:
  • 16 Comments
Nightowl22Nightowl22over 17 years ago
Pretty good

But pretty short. Does she do ANYTHING about her situation.

AnonymousAnonymousover 17 years ago
There can also be a lot less

Good story...

she could open up a little with the communication as well... it wouldnt hurt you know?

There has to be more? sometimes If you make the wrong decsion there can be a lot less...

AnonymousAnonymousover 17 years ago
Depressingly True-to-Life

This is a story which (in my opinion) reflects the reality of lots of lives. The narrator embarks on an extended internal monologue covering her having sex with her husband. From the beginning, we see a couple who are apparently happy while they are, in fact, hopelessly out of sync. He brings her flowers, and ashe immediately suspects that he's been committing adultery. She's ready, and he takes her, but in every step of the limited foreplay, she's wishing he'd do something different. She's dissatisfied with his foreplay, always "forcing" an orgasm despite his "fumbling" so that his ego wasn't hurt by not pleasing her. Ironically, she can apparently only achieve climax by fantasizing about a young man she saw at the pool while her husband mauls her. He's shown as clumsy, perhaps, but certainly patient, considerate, and concerned. In ordeer to sustain the illusion of her arousal and satisfaction, she fakes an orgasm as he finishes. Afterwards, he again disappoints her by jumping out of bed for that favorite bogeyman of the American wife, "the game on TV." As he showers, she masturbates herself to orgasm while dreaming of the younger man, and then bemoans her empty existence.

What's so sad about this picture? There is no reason given why the woman can't have more from her life - she'd just need to start by dropping the life of lies and deception. She doesn't like how her husband makes love to her - she says nothing. She lies about her satisfaction in order to manage her husband's reactions. She is uncertain about his fidelity, but probably is unwilling to talk to him about it, finding out what he's really feeling. She spends her emotions and erotic time on thoughts of a different, younger man - setting herself up for more disappointments and probable eventual infidelity and divorce. The truly sad thing is that she won't get more, just different - that if she winds up happy while behaving this way, it will be because novelty will sustain the illusion of "more" until she (as a result of age) is willing to settle for less of the same. The faults we find in our relationships are our own, and the common thread in all our dysfunction is us. It looks to me like she could have more right now by being vulnerable and opening up to her husband about what troubles her. Instead, she's on the path to divorce her husband in order to marry a man who will do her three times a week and jump up right afterwards to go watch the game.

It would be interesting to have the story from the POV of the husband. Is he also just as unhappy? Or is he clueless?

AnonymousAnonymousover 17 years ago
Good

Good for a start.

Boyd

duddle146duddle146over 17 years ago
Willing Wife!

One willing wife - so many men would kill for her husband's situation. Where does the love and affection go after a few years. This Writer brings out the frustrations, the longing in the best possible way describing graphically how the neglected wife feels. A wonderful sensitive Story - well told!

AnonymousAnonymousover 17 years ago
I'm reminded of the old Peggy Lee classic

"Is that all there is?"

This story has that same faint tang of disappointment:

"Is that all there is, is that all there is

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing

Let's break out the booze and have a ball

If that's all there is"

Nice job of catching her feelings. There is, no doubt, too many marriages like this.

Regards, DJ

AnonymousAnonymousover 17 years ago
so trite, and needless

"Hey, not so fast!. Put the damn game on tevo and pay attention!. No, it was not great, not even fair and it never has been." Of course he will be hurt, you have been lying for years!

AnonymousCriticAnonymousCriticover 17 years ago
Is that all she wants?

Change the story slightly. He takes the time and gives her the fireworks she is looking for. He stays with her a while. Then he goes to the game he taped.

As he's watching the game, he's wondering is that all there is? She wants to get her jollies but that's all she's looking for from this relationship? I bring flowers and she doesn't care why. She had fun, now she's done. Wouldn't she like to talk about the direction of our lives, politics, family, our aspirations? No. It's clear from the way she acts that I'm just a great lay and a meal ticket. What happened to the love when we married? Is this all there is? I could get that from a fuck buddy.

AnonymousAnonymousover 17 years ago
Unfortunately most likely a true story

If not the authors true experience unfortunately the true experience of many wives of the male readers who don't want to believe it and/or blame it on her

OtazelOtazelover 17 years ago
Just right.

Some comments seem to feel the story is too short and unfulfilling - but then so was the fuck the woman just 'enjoyed'! The story captures exactly the empty frustrations of too many women's sex lives. It needs no additions, alterations or ammendments.

asiaprofasiaprofover 17 years ago
An accurate picture

of a common scenario,

and its mirror too.

It cuts both ways!

NucleusNucleusover 17 years ago
In many cases sad reality

Never ask your wife or a woman after sex: "Was it good?" If it were good, then you can feel it, except you are not able of it. Good story, well written.

AnonymousAnonymousover 17 years ago
Since Many Are Seriously Commenting

Each spouse has a responsibility to the other which is to communicate what they want or like rather than the way it is.

Here 2 people seem to love each other - given that more can happen by request and definition. He's asking and she's lying to avoid unhappiness and change which she wants.

Very confusing eh.

KOLKOREKOLKOREover 17 years ago
It’s hard to look at the mirror…

As you listen in to this couple’s unhappiness you immediately identify the ‘big issues’, yet the story flows so naturally through the internal monolog that you have to check that you are not hearing a recording from your neighbor’s house…

It’s not that the story is too short; my guess is that it’s us who are not used to condensed narrative, delivered in the more demanding form of “showing” only.

This is only my second encounter with your writing and I am already hooked. Frankly, I can’t remember when I read here something of a similar quality. Looking at your story list –my head was swinging –all that in one year? Anyway, while you are finishing your practice for other fora (my assumption); thank you for this story.

bornagainbornagainover 17 years ago
Spelling corrections

Decayed Angel your story has alot of mistakes also its a little hard to make out what the wife is talking about where she is feeling an imiginary cock ? could you explain that?

Pat.

Atlanta,Ga

betrayedbylovebetrayedbyloveabout 11 years ago
Yes

There is more. You must talk to your husband and explain to him. Let him know.

I don' t think she'll do that however. We'll see...

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous