All Comments on 'Ginseng Economy'

by Man Ray

Sort by:
  • 18 Comments
lostandfounderlostandfounderover 17 years ago
Only the strong surive...

but who defines 'strength'? Nice poem (love the title),it made me think.

MyNecroticSnailMyNecroticSnailover 17 years ago
Title is catchy

but seems wrong. I think you do without "Tis people's future..." at the end. Overall, I think you have some outstanding lines. Fritz...Overall, outstanding for a protest poem.

AnonymousAnonymousover 17 years ago
Clever title…

my thoughts, after reading the ‘worrisome’ poem, immediately went to “Wake Up and Smell the Ginseng” kind of like James Carville’s “It’s the economy, stupid,” so for me it worked. It also reminded me of Clinton’s campaign signage which was haiku-like: (a) Change vs. more of the same, (b) The economy, stupid and (c) Don’t forget, health care. ‘Tis people’s futures...’ linked me back to ‘futurologists’ and that I liked. Otherwise, I wholeheartedly agree with MyNecroticSnail. You’ve done it again, Man Ray. Well done. PS You also made me think, “What will happen to me!”

AnonymousAnonymousover 17 years ago
Working Title

First off, I’m not much of a poetry reader but the title grabbed me. (I never understand half of what ‘poets’ attempt to convey.) A ginseng economy relates to international trade and low-wage countries: China, India and Mexico are examples. An economist by profession, this has a Che Guevara theme. He concluded that socioeconomic inequalities could only be remedied by revolution. If I accurately understand this poem, then I have to say you scored well.

AnonymousAnonymousover 17 years ago
A mother’s comment…

who among us doesn't stress about the future of our children and grandchildren! Impressive piece!

Veronica

My Erotic TrailMy Erotic Trailover 17 years ago
mention

this poem mentioned on the thread New Poems Review

AnonymousAnonymousover 17 years ago
^

This poem could've done without the illustration.

AnonymousAnonymousover 17 years ago
good

Me level of Eng is so low that I can't catch most of the words ;-) Nevertheless you became very good in creating pics ;-)

AnonymousAnonymousover 17 years ago
+++++

I’m impressed by the clever unusual approach taken in assigning unemployed-themed adjectives to the jobsites.

PB

AnonymousAnonymousover 17 years ago
excellent

enjoyed it very much

AnonymousAnonymousover 17 years ago
This really moved me

I'm one of those who was declared surplus after 20 plus years of service and LOYALTY. Your poem brought tears which I guess is a sign of good poetry. I wonder if you were found unnecessary. If so, I am sad for you too. JRycroft

KOLKOREKOLKOREover 17 years ago
First – in praise of a socially relevant poem

I always add at least a mental bonus to any poet/author who dare be socially relevant in their creative work. In other words, raise his/her head beyond their naval and speak to and about the reality which surrounds us. It could be very convenient (not to mention safe) to simply follow the footsteps of the romantic tradition which IMO is still the dominant norm - especially in poetry. So for that reason, anyone who goes against the grain, and comments on the war; on poverty; on injustice – poets used to write about those things too once - I salute you.

I would like to return when I can for more on the specifics, but I figure that I owe a first response on this poem. How else can we keep those starving artists (just kidding) motivated?

IrishBayouIrishBayouover 17 years ago
Yet another keeper…

Man Ray, congrats on yet another superior poem. ‘Poetry Feedback & Discussion’ encourages us to do just that. I’ve been lax in commenting. Each new posting matures into fine vintage read. Keep on it. IB

KOLKOREKOLKOREover 17 years ago
Have you ever been made redundant?

Can’t think of dirtier concept than “clean language” when it tries to sanitize endless human suffering; injustice; human ugliest sides at work. So why not call it Ginseng economy? It sounds even nicer than economy in which you become redundant.

The simple repetitive lines echoes the lines of protesters or unemployed or over- employed across the globe and the structure of “traditional” protest poems and protest drama. A brisk strong contrast between the have and have not is made. If you have a problem with that, please write a protest poem for the corporations and those who do their bidding in the government (have not met the genre yet).

The structure in the poem is there not because an elitist poet have decided to appeal to the simple people and agreed to compromise his/her poetic taste while doing it (all complaints you could hear against poetry which seemed to be ‘too recruited to a cause’). Rather, its poetics is 180 degrees different than that of the purposely elusive and multi layered lyrical poem. As Brecht demonstrated, you want to break the Aesthetic Illusion even if it makes us squirm in our seats. The poem does serve a purpose – which is to send a message in the most effective way, and it does not apologize for it. Pure aestheticism exists maybe in the writings of the classicists but we know that art is what managers of museums decide to put in the museums. Which takes us back to politics and power and powerlessness.

Finally, the emblem on the door is reminiscent of the Roman Empire. With the US being the only remaining global power (or is it), no wonder my mind carried me to Gibbon’s monumental work: “the decline and fall of the Roman Empire”. About which Gibbon ominously said: "I have described the triumph of barbarism and religion,"

duddle146duddle146over 17 years ago
Alert.

A warning on the perils of International Trade. The illustration points out several things affecting our lives.

LeBrozLeBrozabout 17 years ago
~~

But missing is the number of jobs gained here but not reported; it doesn't fit the paradigm of free trade bashing.

LeBrozLeBrozabout 17 years ago
~~

But missing is the number of jobs gained here but not reported; it doesn't fit the paradigm of free trade bashing.

tazz317tazz317over 12 years ago
AMERICA IS TO THE EAST

of which they like least. TK U MLJ LV NV

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous