All Comments on 'Dying Embers'

by JakeRivers

Sort by:
  • 89 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousover 17 years ago
Best

Great as always!

AnonymousAnonymousover 17 years ago
Great Story

Nuff said

Blue88Blue88over 17 years ago
Damn, I'm in awe....

To say that I'm impressed would be an understatement. Jack, your writing is obviously professional and I wonder why you're not submitting this for publication somewhere - you really should, you know.

I loved this tale and you correctly put it into the Romance catagory, and what a sweet, sensitive romance it is. You blew my mind when you mentioned, "The Quiet Man", my all-time favorite film.

It's a pity that there is not a special and seperate voting catagory for stories at this level. Giving it a 5 seems so inadequate. Again, my thanks and appreciation for your talent and for sharing that talent with us.

TiggerTooTiggerTooover 17 years ago
My face got all wet.

Awesomely wonderful story about good people I'd like to know and just be able to live around nearby as friends and neighbors. Great characterization. Thanks.

There is a subset of stories on this site (regardless of category) that are so real and so good that they make it worthwhile to wade through the others to get to them.

Phil

AnonymousAnonymousover 17 years ago
Heart warming!

Really enjoyed your story it has the perfect balance of everything you need to keep the reader interested.

Good luck with your future stories!

DesertPirateDesertPirateover 17 years ago
Damn

Jack, Jake...whatever,

The name change makes little difference, you are still one hell of a good writer. Once again you have put together a great story. I look forward to whatever you do next.

HarddaysknightHarddaysknightover 17 years ago
Where did this Jake come from?

This new guy is pretty good! Don't read this without a few tissues handy. It's just a real nice story.

AnonymousAnonymousover 17 years ago
A rose is a a rose

I don't care what name you go by, as long as you keep writing so well!

Alvaron53Alvaron53over 17 years ago
Superb

Great story, thanks Jake er Jack er DJ er... ;)

How do I know? Harry didn't like it. :D

ineffableineffableover 17 years ago
absolutely enthralling

Rarely do I find a story so encompassing. You have captured a very geniune slice of life.

AnonymousAnonymousover 17 years ago
Wonderful story!

I can't express it nearly as well as Blue88, but I second everything he wrote. Beauiful story, fine plot, great character development, everything you need in a great story.Thanks for writing.

60 year old George

AnonymousAnonymousover 17 years ago
THANKS

I READ A LOT OF DIFFRENT MATERIAL SOME GOOD SOME BAD.THIS WAS A VERY GOOD STORY.THANKS FOR SHARING IT WITH the rest of us lurkers.

AnonymousAnonymousover 17 years ago
Excellent

What a joy to read. I hope more is coming.

peggytwittypeggytwittyover 17 years ago
A very good romance from a good Author

It was very well done and not drawn out with a lot of superfluous prose after the first few paragraphs.

Thank you for the fine entertainment.

PT

DG HearDG Hearover 17 years ago
Hey Good Buddy!

Whether you go by Jack, Jake or John, you're still one of the best writers out there. Readers need to know how much detail in your stories are true. I wish I had half the insight and writing ability as you, and I'm not just blowing smoke.

My hats off to you, my fellow writer.

Kudos to you

DG Hear

Nightowl22Nightowl22over 17 years ago
A great romance

I really enjoyed this one cuz I love happy endings, I suppose. But it is well written, with good dialogue and humour. I got a big kick out of the way Mary Kate took over directing his life. She did a great job!

Excellent read.

RicticRicticover 17 years ago
Great Story

Thanks for the great story. No matter what name you go by you are one of the best.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 17 years ago
who is this guy techsan,he must be the best

every stories he edit reads great.i would like for him as you to write more.good common sense stories.i know of the places in nam you talk about in your stories.

bornagainbornagainalmost 17 years ago
Jake thanks

Jake that was a great story the grammar was well pronounced and they editing was a work of art.

Pat

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 17 years ago
One of the stories here I re-read.

Err, it was Sam that said he'd never lie to Mary Kate.

Anyhoo, Jake I like the story, re-read is several times and will reread it again sometime later.

J

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 17 years ago
Don't know

how I missed this one,but thanks to a mention by DG Hear in his most recent story I have now read it. It was absolutely great!!!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 17 years ago
Love your work

Well, I suspect this is a common remark,

I love your stories and living in Houston, it is fun to see San Antonio mentioned in your story. What a great love story and what a wonderful ending.

Thank you for the enjoyment of reading your work,

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 17 years ago
Lovely Story

Loved the story it was great to read and happy ending and all still kept me wondering what would happen.. great post

NucleusNucleusover 16 years ago
Surely ...

... one of your best. Good writing, good reading, I've enjoyed it. Life is good.

<p>Thank you very much.</p>

<b>Matthias from Germany</b>

AnonymousAnonymousover 16 years ago
Nice

Nice lovestory,I really liked it. The location for the story

was perfect. The fishing around Prinville is great and the deer hunting is outstanding.

AnonymousAnonymousover 16 years ago
Beautiful

Wonderful, loving story. Made me want to live there, want more of their story. Thanks. Keep writing. Love happy endings!

AnonymousAnonymousover 16 years ago
2nd time around

This is the second time around for me reading your fantastic stories. You have a way with words that is second to none. After reading any of your stories there always seems to be a warmth in my chest. Keep up the excelemt work.

KarinDiSeduzioneKarinDiSeduzioneover 15 years ago
Uplifting

This is the second "Second Chance" type story I've read tonight. Uplifting. Inspiring. And actually came along at a time when I needed to be uplifted and inspired. Thank you.

AnonymousAnonymousover 15 years ago
Nice story

very well written, but wish you had developed the first wife's character in more depth . Why did she behave the way she did?

oldwayneoldwaynealmost 15 years ago
One of your best.

Jake, you are definitely one of my favorites and this story is one of your best. Anytime I get the feeling that my conscience needs a cleansing, I read or re-read one of your stories. When I do, I always feel better about myself for having done so. Thanks for all of your work.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 15 years ago
Pleased 64 year old Californian/Oregonian

I loved this story for several reasons. The characters were great, the way one would love to have people be. I can identify with the geographic descriptions as I am from first San Francisco, then the woods of Oregon having been raised on the Santiam river in Waterloo/Lebanon area. I have also lived in Eugene and Corvallis. I am just now retiring and looking forward to moving back next year to somewhere in that area where my clan of a family reside. I have spent 30 years in the Soutwest and can identify with New Mexico and Texas as well. I love a lot of your stories and especially your description of people. Real down to earth description with that appreciation for simple inner beauty some/most people can project at times. This is my first 100 in about 1000 stories I have read.

MoogPlayerMoogPlayeralmost 15 years ago
Very Nice!!!

You and DGHear are the two writers on this site who've inspired me more than either of you could ever know, Jake; and I want to say thank you!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 14 years ago
Well Done

I enjoyed this story. Very well written, and very poignant. Thanks.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 14 years ago

Engaging read. Not Bad at all.

vintageridervintageriderover 13 years ago
Very Well Done.

You really are a gifted writer. Not only in the way you tell your story, but in the story that you choose to tell. Great read!

dangerouslydeaddangerouslydeadover 13 years ago
Beautiful

This was not a story.. this was sheer poetry... I read this and I didn't see any dying embers; I saw the bright flames of a love story that makes your heart warmer, a little more in love with life!

deadsoondeadsoonover 13 years ago
Great story

Enjoyed reading every bit of it. And I have to admit I am a sucker for a happy ending.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 13 years ago
Wonderful Story

A very well written and developed story great work

RePhilRePhilalmost 13 years ago
Eh !

If you like perfect stories perfectly written .....

GualterioGualterioalmost 13 years ago
Amen

To all the praise that follows ...

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
Good, good, good..

Great story, greatly written.

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago

First class, one of your best. Unfortunately I was unable to rate as the star system wasn't working, for some unknown reason this has happened on a number of your submissions Take for granted that I would award 5+ stars. Thank-you.

ananduanandualmost 12 years ago
1st class

Even if here at literotica the stories are supposed to be hot, I prefer the ones like yours. I had the impression, you know what you write about. And additionally I presume, most of your readers did as well. You write fiction about life, and that's art.

Thank you

x_witless_xx_witless_xalmost 12 years ago
Like snippets of a million personal histories.

We can all identify ourselves in Jake's world. It's in the detail and care for the reader's smooth ride, such well-developed characters, each of them painted in. Brilliant American writing.

A bugbear. I just didn't buy that she wasn't glad as all get out when he first made his presence know. However tired she was. She'd gunned her motor dead trying to git outta the mud, what with her daughter with her, they'd be sure happy to see a sign of help. I mean, you tell this guy to 'go away and leave us alone' then who the fuck are you waiting for.

I know it would have made the knight in shining analogy far too obvious. 5* and thanks.

AnonymousAnonymousover 11 years ago
I don't normally score stories...

... But yours got 5*. Fabulous.

BfreetorunBfreetorunabout 11 years ago
Curse you, Jake Rivers...

I had some continuing ed. I was going to do today, instead I am reading all your stories. Thank you for writing this story, especially and for all your other stories.

auhunter04auhunter04over 10 years ago
Just say'n

With the number of folk you got wandering around Prineville/Steelville one would thing they would run acrost one nother now and again

TavadelphinTavadelphinover 10 years ago
Well designed -

And well crafted -

Good characters - good story line and a good ending - not too many surprises of course but a very fine read

The pieces that do not apply to one of us in particular will still be understood by all - it easy to be the people you write about.

You do seem to have an almost too forgiving nature towards the bad characters that get the stories rolling - like the bad wife and counselor in this one - she gets to go off without explanation or direct consequence for her behavior and he pays the full price. Not requiring a BTB approach or anything but some plausible impact or cause and effect to show the balance of the scales. He wins after a very long hard fight he did not start - she needs to pay for her future as well (or pay for her past clearly in the future). IMHO.

phil2213phil2213about 10 years ago
Nice simple story.

Well written is definitely an understatement as to the construction of this sweet story. I had felt a certain level of sympathy for Jean. I wouldn't quite equate it with sympathy for the devil but a question more than comment. Jean and Sam were experiencing difficulties with their relationship and reached out to a professional for help. Artura was not very ethical nor helpful to put it mildly. Was Jean as much a victim as Sam??? That has a residue of bad taste for me as a reader. I don't have any problem with this author or his story just curiosity and interest in a story character.

This story was both interesting and entertaining. I enjoyed it and I would easily rate it amongst the Hall of Fame stories on this site without any reservation. But who's going to tell me what happened to poor Jean. Perhaps, either you or another author could pickup on that scenario? ? Thank you for an enjoyable read!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 10 years ago

Nice job! Sorry for Jean? Jean and Arturo got exactly what they earned!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 9 years ago

One of your better yarns, it just proves that a good yarn doesn't have to be wall to wall sex.

Keep up the good work with plenty more of the same. Thank you.

HansTrimbleHansTrimbleabout 9 years ago
A great story . . .

. . . well conceived, well planned, and well written. The descent into insanity was very effectively conveyed. You defined your characters with only a few words but you made them believable enough so that that their acts of generosity made sense. The injured ankle and the bed pan were clever touches.

Nice work. Thank you for sharing the story with us.

Chief3BlanketChief3Blanketover 8 years ago
First Rate

An excellent story, and very entertaining to read.

bruce22bruce22over 8 years ago
Extremely Fine Contribution

There are parts here which are pure poetry and many exciting moments.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
Very well done

This is a great story. I wish there was a sequel.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 8 years ago
gotta love happily ever after!

Thanks

AnonymousAnonymousabout 8 years ago
Absolutely right

One of the few stories I turn to when things aren't going so well. Thank you for an optimistic outlook that mirrors the positive changes when love enters the equation. Keep up the good work and look forward to reading more of your stories. SF VET.

xtchrxtchrover 7 years ago
Very Enjoyable Read!

Boy, you did it again. What and entertaining and interesting story. But I do have 1 question, did the guy ever get his watch? Thank you for a very good and enjoyable story.

TheOldRomanticTheOldRomanticover 7 years ago

Since today is Thanksgiving and coincides with the 25th anniversary of the death of Freddy Mercury, I had thought of dedicating Queen's song "Bohemian Rhapsody" to this story (for Sam's reaction to Arturo) But I finally thought that it would be better to dedicate the song "I Will Wait For You" from Munford & Sons, I think it is better for this story, both for the waiting of Sam and Mary Kate as for what is the Country Rock music.

As for the story (leaving the music aside), really a very good story, no sex (well, almost), thank goodness! Very well described all the plot of the story, I loved it!

5* for you.

I apologize for my English, is not my native language.

rightbankrightbankover 7 years ago
a great example of story telling at it's finest

I loved the relationship issues. He was a smart man to know when to smile, nod, and give her as much room as she needed.

BfreetorunBfreetorunabout 7 years ago
Four years later, Jake, I read this story again. It is still excellent.

Of course, that slut he was married to gave his watch to Arturo, that's just the way she was. I am sure she got hers along the way. What a bitch! A very nice and romantic story with a great ending. (I guess he was cured, LOL.)

anon49anon49almost 7 years ago
Still a 5+

2nd time in a couple of Years...one of the best in this site!!

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago

Excellent, loved it!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 6 years ago
As Good As It Gets

What a great story. Thanks.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 6 years ago
TALENT

JakeRivers could narrate drying paint and it would be interesting.

With an interesting plot to narrate, he is past interesting.

Paul in Oklahoma

penneydog55penneydog55about 6 years ago
Wow.

That Woman is unbelievable! Her Husband wasn't even in the bury box and She's talking up her next marriage! They don't come any tougher!

Anyway that's my Comment 5 ★ WOOF! Oh Oh Oh! Jerry Springer definitely would have loved this one! JERRY! JERRY! JERRY! ( I can't help myself ) See Ya!

RePhilRePhilover 5 years ago
Truly beautiful story

Loved it again for the first time

RePhilRePhilover 5 years ago
32 yr old Scotch!! Sweet

That taste of ashes you mentioned is actually “Peat”. As they have no or little trees on the Iysle’s (such as Islay) the distilleries such as Ardbeg, Bowmor, Laphroaig, Bruichladdich and Lagavulin use Peat to fire the kilns and dry the Malt. This method is not used in the low land distilleries and to. Lesser to extent in the Highland Distilleries from which a less pronounced “Smokey” tasting notes are present in the Scotch.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
Really good love story!

Amazing return from one bad relationship to a great one! Definitely 5 stars!!

etchiboyetchiboyabout 5 years ago
Wow!!!

Loved the story. But...

~51 at divorce. 3 years institutionalized. Had to be at least 2-3 years to migrate from Texas to Oregon working heavy equipment. Settled in Prineville long enough to become a “regular”; minimum 6 months-1 year. So ~57 when meet MaryKate.

Mary Kate ~40 when they first “do it”, at which time she’d been there minumum 1 year; so ~38-39 when they first meet. 18-19 year difference isn’t unthinkable, but still...

More importantly Colleen is ~16. So he is >40 years older than Colleen. And she calls him “Daddy”? That’s unthinkable.

Also, Mary Kate knowing how to double-clutch is never explained. I doubt less than 1% of population even know what that is, let alone know how. Not impossible, but rare enough I’d like that bit explained.

Still, terrific story. 5-stars & “Favorite”

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 5 years ago
@ etchiboy

I don’t get it, why is it “unthinkable” for Colleen to call him “daddy” just because he was forty years older than her? My wife’s father was 56 when she was born, 70 when he died. She was 14. Should she have called him “grandpa” because of the age difference? As for the story, I thought it was great, one of JR’s best, and that’s saying a lot.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 5 years ago
Personal

I love the gentle humour of.this story, there is an element of personal experience running throughout. I am English, but had the dubious pleasure of serving in Korea during army service,where I came in contact with many Americans whom your characters bring back happy memories of. I find your stories insightful and compelling, long may you continue.

Grimjack01Grimjack01over 4 years ago
Great story

This was a very well written and thoughtful story if you would look under the hood. Two broken people meet and start the dance of life, wonderfully choreographed, well done. And to the trolls out there, it's obvious you have very limited life experience, I have 50 year old friends that married 40 year old grandmothers that are raising their grandkids, and the grandkids call him DAD and treat him like old. 5 stars.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

The whole ambush of papers and forcing him to change really pissed me the fuck off so fuck this story. I am not reading the rest. It came across as mercenary bullshit and any woman or man who would just do what was ordered is a simp and might as well kill themselves. Fuck this. Starsong1977.

AngelRiderAngelRiderover 2 years ago

What a horseshit tale.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

A really touching story. I only wish there had been more character development for Maty Kate.

I normally wish most stories were shorter and tightened up. In the case of this story, I just feel that there is more to tell.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

The storytelling is better than most. It flows well from beginning to end. I gave a 5, of which I have only issued a few. If it needs anything, it could lose some of the Hallmark feeling.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Anyone that gives this more than a 3 is easily impressed and likely less than average on the iq scale. Psychosis sure, being transitioned out of long term care without a half way house, scheduled ongoing therapy, no children or support? Oh what planet? Fiction doesn't mean impossible to relate. It's the exact opposite. Morons.

Gym52Gym52over 2 years ago

EXCELLENT!!!

Congratulations on one of the best romance stories on this site, this is a real romance rather than an erotic romance, less than a paragraph regarding sexual activity in a four page story. The previous anonymous commentator appears to be unaware of the historical facts regarding release from psychiatric hospitals prior to the turn of the last century, when as soon as the hospital board had designated you as no longer being a risk to society or yourself then you were released without any further care package.

Thank you and your editing team for publishing this great work, long may it continue.

ian0452ian0452over 2 years ago

A very well written story absolutely loved it

goodshoes2goodshoes2about 2 years ago

5 stars. Great writing. Thanks.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

A one of a kind fascinating story of love gone sour, love lost, rekindling of the soul, renewal of desire and . . . .

Great job, Author!

inka2222inka2222over 1 year ago

It was a good Romance story. I'm somewhat disappointed that the evil witch got off with zero punishment for what she did but this isn't LW so I won't ding the stars off for that.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Great read, and great ending.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Fabulous!

Small thing. An ankleben strain iis not incapacitating. Your attention to Detail great but something like this introduces a needlessly hickup into a GREAT STORYA!

woodrangewoodrange8 months ago

2nd time round, great story

AnonymousAnonymous4 months ago

I enjoyed the way Mary Kate steamrolled her way through life.

SragicSragic11 days ago

Due to the tramatic everts in both Mary Kate and Sam's past, I think it would be a good idea for them to schedule some sessions with a marriage consoler. Just kidding of course. I'm skepitical that even a good consoler can help a couple. I've never seen one, but all those I know of that have, it did not save their marriages or relationships. Good Story! I enjoyed reading it.

AnonymousAnonymous10 days ago

2 things in the plot dragged this down: 1). No explanation for why Jean cheated with the therapist, and 2). No info at all for why he went nuts and nearly killed the fraud.

.

OK…a third thing….readers never found out what Jean thought about anything. This info could have been communicated to readers via his kids telling him what their Mom thought. But nothing.

.

2 **

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous