All Comments on 'Taking Command'

by Dinsmore

Sort by:
  • 77 Comments
SwedeqSwedeqabout 17 years ago
Excellent!

Here's to those in uniform - past, present and future! The business of the military is to project power, protect citizens and assets of the United States; and enforce the foreign policies proscribed by people of the U.S. through their representation in Washington. While war is never the preferred method of solving political conflicts, it is still necessary when all other methods fail. Do not desert the troops!!!! They have enough to worry about without the congress pulling the financial rug out from under them.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 17 years ago
excellent... outstanding

you now have moved up to favorite story/author.

excellent story,enjoyed it thanks for taking time to write.

Mike from Texas

AnonymousAnonymousabout 17 years ago
5 x 5 & Rolling Author + Also Magnifique

You have the sense and presence of doing what you know well. Personal experiences aid the process but not the communication process which it seems you and your editor have down pat.<P>

More than an enjoyable read and hope for more.<P>

Lastly, I echo the commented need for fighting person support but have scorn for an administration with an inexplicable unsubstantiated agenda except to spend our nation into debt for our grandchildren and haughtily break the middle class who's purchasing power and efforts make our nation as strong as it can be.<P>

That 2 will be overcome by good people doing the right things from the bottom up.<P>

Sorry Author but your emotion tends to provoke same.<P>

With Very High Regard

DesertPirateDesertPirateabout 17 years ago
Out fuckin standing

I have to say it again, your best stories are the ones with the least sex. This one could be turned into a great novel, possibly a best seller. Only someone who has been there can write this well about combat. Thank You for another great story about those very special people who serve our country!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 17 years ago
Excellent

Dinsmore,

It is really really a joy to read this story, and I hope you write even more. Perhaps then people will learn that leadership is NOT counting pencils or dollar bills. It is about people (preparing them and motivating them).

AnonymousAnonymousabout 17 years ago
Apart

from a few movies I never appreciated what went on in Vietnam,the stories from someone who was actually there have really opened my eyes to what was happening.Thank you Dinsmore for educating me.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 17 years ago
shudder #2

A tale worth telling, well told.Thank you. Carry on troop.

Alvaron53Alvaron53about 17 years ago
Just excellent

Thank you, Dinsmore, for a very enjoyable story.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 17 years ago
Great

Another solid, first-rate story. I appreciate your reference to William Wallace. My ex-wife was always quoting some poem which made reference to the Scots who bled and died with Wallace. I think her family claimed some kinship with Wallace. Of course, I also knew about Wallace and the movie Braveheart. I did some looking on the web and read some articles about Wallace.

Thanks for your story.

Boyd

AnonymousAnonymousabout 17 years ago
Thank you for your service!!

He who still respects and admires the military, and knows what it really is and does, and shares that knowledge, still serves. Thank you!! Awful hard to inspire and entertain me, but you do it well. Widow 46

Nightowl22Nightowl22about 17 years ago
Very Good!

A very interesting tale and very well written. It does sound like the Chinese attacking.. Well, with a 200 million Army what's a few thousand men??

It's always heartening to read of soldiers who still respect their service and their country!!

gatorhermitgatorhermitabout 17 years ago
Excellent Story

Interesting perspective and excellent writing (as usual). Thank goodness we've learned not to take our frustration at Washington out on the GI's like we did with Viet Nam - I'm ashamed of how the USA treated Viet Nam vets.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 17 years ago
Tears

I'm not the kind of woman who enjoys war stories. I have sons who like action movies, war movies or anything that has a hint of violence, those I avoid also. Yet a testament to your talent, dear author, is that I found myself sucked into this story, surprisingly moved by the emotions aroused by it. Patriotism has nothing to do with war, but by love of country and the people that are the fiber of said country. Thank you for that reminder. God bless and protect our troops. Hoorah!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 17 years ago
A heartfelt thanks

well all this old fossil can say is thank you...good story...accurate action discriptions...and a way kool ending...even though we both know there were times and are times when it didn't end so happily ever after...but again...my humble thanks...esteban henderson

muddpup11@hotmail.com

peggytwittypeggytwittyabout 17 years ago
For those who have seen it will really feel it!

I thank you for your stories of in-country life and war. It reminds me of a life over 35 years ago. Too many movies don’t let the feelings of a life facing death come through. You have put a dent in that saga of many who know that feeling in their gut.<p>So well done!<p>PT

bruce22bruce22over 15 years ago
Great Moment

Beautifully crafted and realistic war story. Hope that we will see more of your work.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 15 years ago
Apologies and kudos

In the past, I have been less than kind in my comments. I have found some of your work to be ponderous and preachy, with wooden characters. I owe you an apology; at least you're in there pitching, unlike me, taking potshots from the sidelines.

This story should be your touchstone. Well done! Human and realistic - I urge you to continue in this genre. If you haven't already, submit for publication.

AnonymousAnonymousover 14 years ago
Wonderful story

This story made me proud to be an American and was an eye opener as to what our Boys and Girls have to put up with and live through. You did us all a great service by writing your story. Using the words of a previous comment "Thank you for your service".

AnonymousAnonymousabout 14 years ago
The sharp end

this is a good well written piece that I have read many times and it gets better with each reading.

Those who have been at the sharp end know the value of leadership some by doing some by getting the hell out of the road and letting their people do their job. and knowing which is necessary and when.

That only comes from surviving the bloody sharp end

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 13 years ago
Awesome

Great story, I wished it had more specifics, but enjoyed it tremendously..

AnonymousAnonymousabout 12 years ago
Excellent

Still one of my all time favorite stories. I wish you would write more.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 12 years ago
Damn!

I come by and read this story from time to time and it gets to me every time. You do good work, and you know of what you speak.

Thanks again.

tazz317tazz317over 11 years ago
COMMAND AND LEADERSHIP

dont always fall hand in hand. TK U MLJ LV NV

AnonymousAnonymousabout 11 years ago
Read it yet again

Excellent, just excellent.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 11 years ago
Enjoyed it.

A good story, a little heavy handed but made an excellent point. I was an 11C (11B secondary) from '71 - 74 - In West Berlin. I saw the same progression that you described even in our peacetime rifle company inside 'the wall'. It would go from a high moral ready for anything company, to a low moral unit tearing itself apart and back again all driven by the cycle of the short CO tour. The 1SG could also make a major difference.

Observing the abilities of our commissioned officers I came to the conclusion that the Academy trained the cadets to be generals, and they usually made terrible Lieutenants and mediocre Captains, The OCS company grade officers were usually the best with the ROTC ones somewhere in between.

auhunter04auhunter04almost 11 years ago
good

was good the first time I read this and every time since (lost count) a good tale is one that can be heard and repeated without losing its glamor. In this case it just gains glamor

thank for the services you have done

-------serving your country

------ writing this type of material

------ and educating the unknowing

tazz317tazz317almost 11 years ago
THE REAL TRUTH IS.......

THERE ARE MEN LIKE THAT OUT THERE and to them we owe so much. TK U MLJ LV NV

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
Army Col. Robert L. Howard

He was this type of soldier. Take time to read about him. He died in 2009.

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
Superb

I can say as former Army, ex 12D, SSG, this has been my favorite story on here. Yes, I love the risqué stuff, but a well written story is a treasure for the ages.

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
Damn, I sure enjoy this story

I've read this story a few times and enjoy it more each time. Those of us who have served know the truth about good leadership, it is essential and not easy to do.

Thanks again

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
Good tale

Well written and well worth reading. I took a look at how many works you've posted, and the mix between erotica and serious material. Thanks for being a reminder that there's much, much more to life.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 10 years ago
This Story...

Mr. Dinsmore. Thank you. Tomorrow I turn 63. Today my doctor tells me my vitals are a mess. But I feel strong. I remember fondly my days in. Vietnam Nam. My time at Fort Bragg, Fort Hood, Fort Ord, Fort Huachuca and Schofield Barracks. I remember so many lessons on what a man was supposed to be... Both as a follower and as a leader. Every day I live my life for my team. I understand it a little Better every day and truly appreciate when someone is kind enough to remind me of how I began my lessons. Why I respect the flag and my country and the people who stood beside me and did whatever it took and committed them selves so that we could get the job done. Sir. You remind me of where I come from and why it's important to do what's right. To do it for those who stand beside us and those who follow us. This was a tale worth telling and very well told. Thank you. HOORAH!

tazz317tazz317about 10 years ago
YOU LEAD BY EXAMPLE

of the training and experience received, TK U MLJ LV NV

TavadelphinTavadelphinabout 9 years ago
OK so wow is not enough

Leaders are sometimes born, occasionally made (with great effort and much luck) but sometimes they suddenly appear as if by a miracle - like here.

The company had leaders and good people - poorly directed and so, ineffective. But they lacked that ONE leader at the top of the TO who changed them from a good group with potential into a fine tool, well honed and prepared to do what it took.

This is not a glamorous story that makes war "neat" - it is how ever real and is worth repeating and sharing - thank you for making it happen.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 9 years ago
Excellent and well written

I have probably read this one a dozen times and it always lifts my spirits to understand that there are others that know what leadership means. I have enjoyed your other stories as well. BUT this is one of the best

MoogPlayerMoogPlayerabout 9 years ago
HOLY COW!

This story hit VERY close to home for me. Believe it or not, I encountered people just like some of the characters in this tale when I was in the military. I won't go into detail because it doesn't matter. However, I will say this; thank you for this one Dinsmore, It was well written and well told.

MoogPlayer

kjohns2001kjohns2001about 9 years ago
One of the very best!!!

One of the very best written war stories I've ever read. If more people understood that war is a bloody mess of a crapshoot perhaps there would be more effort taken to ensure that scenarios like this happen few and far between. Politicians forget, or never knew, that there are real living people paying with their lives and pain for their mistakes and silly posturing. Make the enemy pay and pay hard for every life they take and perhaps you will win, if the politicians don't piss it all away.

SoleSurvivor1969SoleSurvivor1969almost 9 years ago
thanks

Loved it.

Almost too real for me.

sourdough999sourdough999almost 9 years ago
Enjoyable story, but...

I would like to make one correction if you don't mind. You used the word 'ordinance' to describe weapons and ammo. That's a municipal or county regulation. The proper word is 'ordnance'.

chytownchytownalmost 9 years ago
Thanks***

For the read.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
Thanks Again

Periodically, I come back and reread this story. It never fails to get to me as it characterizes the rigors of battle and subtle nature of good leadership.

Thanks again for this story

CatsmineCatsmineover 8 years ago
Don't make me do that again.

Please. I was there. I've been there too many times already. Very realistic.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
Awesome! That's some fantastic verbal depiction and been there & done that.

1 long tour of fun near Kosovo as part of the "genocide leaders" hunting contingent and 3 tours of the "sandbox" before being retired as "too broken/busted up" to continue. This was eerily reaching pretty deep into the locked up gray matter storage area that doesn't need to be opened.

BRAVO! Excellent throughout.

tazz317tazz317over 8 years ago
THE ENDING THIS TIME WAS IN OUR FAVOR

this is for all those times. TK U MLJ LV NV

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
I was RA Army involved

so many years ago it seems we were cave men compared to today. I liked the comment about being scared and then "brave". The thoughts about those who get us into these things then lack the ability to back those in harms way were on spot. I'm proud to have been one who did what was necessary and made it home. I liked your portrayal, your story. Thank you ... Scotty

AnonymousAnonymousabout 8 years ago
"LEADERSHIP" Exemplified

You can read about it, but you only learn about from exceptional men & women as you depicted in this story. As a retired veteran it was gratifying to be reminded of my own experiences. Thank you! and keep writing.

rightbankrightbankabout 7 years ago
this story could be a chapter in a textbook

Well done Dinsmore. Well done.

SgtmjrSgtmjralmost 7 years ago
Thank You

I first saw combat in Dec 69. served my 25 active and 5 reserve. I know this was fiction but in 30 years I watched as our military has been degraded to a point that as of now I don't believe we could deal with a really serious war. The armed forces are too soft in most cases. The exception being the Marines. Thank God for his "Misguided children". And thanks for a good story.

DeKreDeKrealmost 5 years ago
* * * * *

A great story about great people. If only they were fighting for something worthwhile.

Great leaders are missing in many areas, not only in the military.

jenellesljenelleslover 4 years ago
Amazingly well told

My time was as a member of the Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club. USS Saratoga. I was aircraft maintenance. We had a lot of pride and that come from our leaders. The person in charge is not always the leader. Best when it is.

While I never got in country, I have a lot of friends who were First Cav at Ia Drang. I've had the privilege of talking with Joe Galloway, a reporter. They always loved seeing those fast movers showing up to help. This was a difficult read, I needed to many tissues.

pumpop201pumpop201over 4 years ago
You're right.

Six years in the military and twenty three years in law enforcement proved that most senior leaders are useless.

LilacQueen15LilacQueen15about 4 years ago
Awesome Story!

Awesome story! Terrific insight.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
A Masterpiece

I was elated to see this story on Literotica, as it disappeared from YouTube some time ago. I never thought I would get the pleasure of sharing it with friends. In my mind, it really is a masterpiece. Lighting does strike twice, What I wrote about "Taking Charge" also applies to "A Man Among Women", another story of yours I found today.

In mind mind they don't get any better. Chuck Close

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
AKA

Razor Ray Davis

oldpantythiefoldpantythiefover 3 years ago
Out standing!

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this story. A little short but it did get the necessary points across without a lot of blood, guts and gore. Very worthwhile reading, thanks.

Rancher46Rancher46over 3 years ago

As other comments have said this is a different type of story for Literotica. It is however one of the best written stories with excellent character development that this author has written so far. Thoroughly enjoyed the read. Well done Dinsmore. 5+ stars.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
50 cals

Would tear apart those vehicles unless they are tanks

lukeshortlukeshortover 3 years ago
OUTSTANDING

One of the best I have read. 5*

Schwanze1Schwanze1over 3 years ago
Read it again

Spec fucking tacular.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Great story

The T.O.W anti tank middle is not shoulder launched. It's fired from the ground on a tripod or mounted on a vehicle. The missile itself weights over 50 lbs.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Just read for 2nd time and definitely 5* or higher

This was a great read and I really enjoyed it both times. Great writing and realistic to me. I had grandparents, dad, uncles, brother and cousins all male mostly combat vets in various wars and “conflicts” in 20th century. Thanks to all of our veterans and current military!

Baton Rouge Cajun Guy

chytownchytownover 3 years ago
Second Time Reading****

It's even better than I remember. Thanks for sharing.

Xzy89c1Xzy89c1about 3 years ago
Hundreds of enemy?

If there were hundreds of enemy and you knew where they were. Just generally where they were. The 81 mm mortars could have killed most of them. The combat of this story is right out of vietnam. The optics and equipment available to this unit would have torn up the attackers. Competent fixed position defense with superior weaponry would have torn the attackers to shreds.

I am confused. They were a rear base that supplied forward bases. How did enemy get by the forward bases? If the hundreds of enemy and vehicles were known locations, they would have been attacked not left to March in and attack. Especially if they massed in one location. One f16 load of jdam would kill them all if they were massed together. One company of combat soldiers would destroy them.

robdh51robdh51about 3 years ago
OUTSTANDING!

This is an outstanding story. As a combat veteran I applaud the detail and realism of the battle account.

To Xzy89c1:

You missed the reason for this story completely. This was a FICTIONAL story in an unnamed war. It was about bravery under adverse circumstances with the coming together of a dysfunctional unit that simply need good leadership to shine. It wasn't about advanced weaponry or tactics. It's obvious that you've never served in combat, or you'd have understood. I have and watched this type of cohesion develop over and over throughout the years. I somewhat concur with the opinion of the Major about generals, although in my experience any one above the rank of brigadier general (one star for those not in the know) was, by nature, more political than military in their thinking. About as useless as tits on a boar.

teedeedubteedeedubalmost 3 years ago

Yep. It's still a 5. Thanks, again.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Great motivational story with interesting characters. Some of the arms used in this battle were off, but that's not what the story was about. 11-h tow anti tank gunner 82nd airborne. 5 stars from me.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

A great story. Thank you!

DOC226DOC226almost 2 years ago

It is obvious that the author was in the military, and saw combat, or at least had some military background. Having spent many years in/with the military myself it is not hard to recognize. Like many great leaders, Major Wallace was a great leader because he LEAD. He became a Force Multiplier (making the troops they command able to achieve much, much more than they would outer-wise), inspiring his people to be their very best. You Never, Ever are able to forget them.

dirtyoldbimandirtyoldbimanover 1 year ago

still one of my favorites

DOC226DOC226over 1 year ago

This is the forth time that I have read this story over the last decade. Every time I do I find something new to appreciate and inspire me.

Lord_JohnnyLord_Johnnyover 1 year ago

There is a lot of technical issues here that are apparent to a Vet. A Colonel as a Mustang? Bull. A Colonel doing the heavy lifting? Bull.

I love the premise here, but there are so any holes it makes Swiss Cheese look solid.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

I didn't get though the first page. Sounded pretty good to start, but poor on the technicalities. I'm ex-Navy aviation type. When they discussed breaking down the Chinook's cargo to Blackhawk size. I quit reading. The Blackhawk didn't enter in the inventory until after Viet Nam and wasn't operational until June of 1979.

BabalooieBabalooieabout 1 year ago

Holy shit! It lacks perfection. I gave it five stars anyway.

AnonymousAnonymous9 months ago

Great story. Thanks.

P.S. It's "hear, hear" not "here, here" when you are agreeing with something that was said.

AnonymousAnonymous2 months ago

Such a good story.

Makes you proud of all the men and women who fight for our country and put their lives on the line to protect all of us. Sadly there are not always good leaders.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 months ago

I am an avid supporter of our fighting men and women. And I spent many days in the 80s and 90s ferrying one or another to our VA hospital, poisoned by Agent Orange

I regard Vietnam as a huge mistake. The tragic waste of life on both sides. Declaration of war, based upon a fictional attack that didn’t happen.

And the facts of this story are just as distorted, and tragic. This is not what happened in the Tet offensive. What did happen was the turning port that resulted in the end of the war that should never have happened.

The French had already lost but the idiots in Washington, but they could do a better job.

Hell no!

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous

story TAGS

SIMILAR Stories