All Comments on 'How to Survive Depression Pt. 02'

by Emerald_Dragon

Sort by:
  • 15 Comments
Unbridled_PassionUnbridled_Passionalmost 17 years ago
even if you are not depressed

these tips will come in handy! Thanks for the read

BOSTONFICTIONWRITERBOSTONFICTIONWRITERalmost 17 years ago
Sunshine

My biggest mood booster is sunshine. I am glad I do not live in Seatle or Alaska where they have six months of darkness.

"Where's Freddie?"

"He's on the roof, again."

Thank you for the very helpful articles and congratulations on getting your life back.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 17 years ago
Wrote this on a whim?

No kidding! I'm shocked. Please don't offer something unless you offer more from an info or writing standpoint than I can get by googling "depression."

Emerald_DragonEmerald_Dragonalmost 17 years agoAuthor
Oh Please

Writing on a whim does not mean that I went "hmmm I wonder how much shit I can blow up peoples ass and have them believe me"!

I wrote this story on "a whim" because it was something that I could write about for a how to and do well. I didn't think that very many people would read it being as it had no sex in it and was not about sex. Still It felt good to write and I hoped that maybe the few people that read it might get something out of it. Sheesh...Say one thing and get reemed for it.

MilliemoonMilliemoonalmost 17 years ago
More Good Advice

This follows on well from the first part and includes more personal information that, let's face it, we don't talk about much. In fact that is what comes across most, talk is good.

Ignore the negative comments, this is an interesting and informative read.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 17 years ago
BEST

This is by far the best arlicle I have ever read on depression.The sheer numbers that Pt 1 got shows you just how many people suffer from this terrible illness.We all at sometime or another suffer from depression,its when it takes over our whole life that it becomes very serious.I admire the way you have dealt with the subject.Icannot stand the idiots who tell people to,SNAP OUT OF IT,once again very very well done.

AnonymousAnonymousover 16 years ago
Good Advice

I have Major Depressive Disorder, coupled with Dysthymia (sp?) and possibly even Borderline Personality Disorder. Reading this has reminded me of a lot of things that I regularly forget about paying attention to, like sleep. I've been to many different therapists over the years (diagnosed at age 12), been on countless medications and done a fair amount of research on the topic of major depression and related disorders and I can tell you that not a lot of it is much help if you're trying to figure out how to deal with it since most of it is clinical gobbly-gook. So to the "person" who titled their comment "Wrote this on a whim?", you need to STFU because you're being an inconsiderate, thoughtless a-hole who obviously doesn't have the tiniest clue what he/she is talking about.

AnonymousAnonymousover 16 years ago
Lucky

Your Hubby was lucky. My wife has had sex once in the past 3 YEARS. As far as I know anyway. and its not just the meds. My libido just got up and went.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 16 years ago
Please Be Careful About What You Teach Others

Depression can either lower or significantly raise sex drive. Also, I think your advice is potentially dangerous. You suggest herbs & teas. What if someone is already taking Paxil (a common anti-depressant) and they take your advice and consume a tea or herb supplement that contains St. John's Wort? That combination can be LETHAL.

AnonymousAnonymousover 15 years ago
If Only

Great advice through your own experience with depression, but what if you have a history of severe depression and when you become sexually aroused, your horniess leaves you feeling even more depressed? or what if you don't have anyone the support of anyone? when i ended up in the hospital a few years back my family all thought I was a coward and told me I should be ashamed and should just pull my weight and learn to deal with things and told me I was a drug addict for getting help and trying to stabilize my brain chemistry and trying to find the right medication. They told me to grow up. Friends are too judgemental and supercificial to talk to and people can be so gossipy and take advantage of someone and their kindness or I have found through my experience. or What if you don't have a sexual partner but want one but are afraid of getting hurt (case I have found an extreme increase in my libido from a new medication I am taking. or what if you don't have anyone or any reason to live for? have no family, no husband or boyfriend or no kids or a reason to stay alive? what if you've been hurt so many times in the past and had loved a lot but had never been loved in return? sometimes it just gets so lonely relying on toys for pleasure and having to be independent and not have the support from anyone else when you've reached out and can't get it. I loved your story, wisdom, the sharing of your thoughts and advice but some of us or a lot of people just aren't as fortunate. Don't mean to sound like an idiot or like an attention seeker but thats the reality for a lot of us or for a lot of people and we are survivers and can only do our best.

AnonymousAnonymousover 15 years ago
If Only

Great advice through your own experience with depression, but what if you have a history of severe depression and when you become sexually aroused, your horniess leaves you feeling even more depressed? or what if you don't have anyone the support of anyone? when i ended up in the hospital a few years back my family all thought I was a coward and told me I should be ashamed and should just pull my weight and learn to deal with things and told me I was a drug addict for getting help and trying to stabilize my brain chemistry and trying to find the right medication. They told me to grow up. Friends are too judgemental and supercificial to talk to and people can be so gossipy and take advantage of someone and their kindness or I have found through my experience. or What if you don't have a sexual partner but want one but are afraid of getting hurt (case I have found an extreme increase in my libido from a new medication I am taking. or what if you don't have anyone or any reason to live for? have no family, no husband or boyfriend or no kids or a reason to stay alive? what if you've been hurt so many times in the past and had loved a lot but had never been loved in return? sometimes it just gets so lonely relying on toys for pleasure and having to be independent and not have the support from anyone else when you've reached out and can't get it. I loved your story, wisdom, the sharing of your thoughts and advice but some of us or a lot of people just aren't as fortunate. Don't mean to sound like an idiot or like an attention seeker but thats the reality for a lot of us or for a lot of people and we are survivers and can only do our best.

AnonymousAnonymousover 13 years ago
Irony and hope...

After reading How to Survive Depression and Pt. 2 of the same, ironically it has made me a bit sad. I have been suffering with depression for over 12 years (technically I am bipolar II) ... I am medicated, but after reading your articles I begin to think that maybe I haven't gone far enough. I dream about having a sex drive like yours... it never fully came back, and my poor husband hadn't met me yet when my depression began so me having a sex drive is almost mythical. We are currently trying for our second child, so I don't think now is the time to be looking for more medications, the one I am on makes my depression manageable enough for now (and is safe to be on during pregnancy and breast feeding). I just assumed that I would never be all the way better. I hardly dare to hope that perhaps I could be whole again. Thank you for the articles, they have definitely given me something to think about. I'm not sure if this is the most useful comment, nonetheless, thanks for letting me vent.

ashholeashholeover 12 years ago

Wow. I really have messed up on point 3, i've been going to bed at about 8 am for the past month or so and before that when i was still in school i would be going to sleep at about 4 and having to get up at 7 really didnt help maybe tonight i'll try to get to sleep before most people wake up or at least before sunrise, thanks

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 9 years ago
who would have thought...

Who would of thought some of the best depression advice I've seen in a while would be on an erotic website! Truth is found in strange places. Thank you.

mikeswivesmikeswivesover 2 years ago

Hope you (author) and those who commented are well and thriving.

I would expand on the point made in part 1.

"If your doctor won't work with you FIND ANOTHER DOCTOR."

Many (in my opinion - Most) doctors see you as an income source that needs to be nutured, not cured. Most will not tell you that there are only a few mood altering drugs and they mostly do not work. You may be luck in this drug roulette. You and only you should be the judge of the benefits/detriments of the medical/psychological/theraputic treatments. You are the one who experiences it and thinks about it and manages it all day every day. The shrink sees you for a fraction of an hour every month or so and wastes half the time having you fill out questionaires on how you feel. (They have the gall to add up scores and tell you if you are feeling better! Like why the fuck do you think I'm here?)

Anyhow, my take is that you have to personally experience the benefit of a drug or therapy and not rely on scores on questionaires or vague generalization from the shrink who sends you or your insurance company the bill. You can study which drugs do what and even get research on the somewhat low fraction of people who find drugs useful. Non-drug therapies, like giving up the booze or divorcing the asshole are often the real answer. Sometimes, just finding a person to bitch to, rather than keeping the cause of your discontent inside, is crucial.

Love to you all - and trust yourself :)

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous