All Comments on 'How To Be a Happy Hooker'

by Rumple Foreskin

Sort by:
  • 19 Comments
JoesephusJoesephusalmost 17 years ago
Now I've got to go back...

to see how I started all my stories. I never gave any thought to the opening lines of my storis... I guess that shows how new I am at all this. I loved your examples from out Literotica, until I realized that I'd have to match those if I ever want to be a published writer.

l8blooml8bloomalmost 17 years ago
fabulous!

Fun to read, as well as chock-full of useful ideas. Especially loved the outrageous hubris! Good luck in the contest Uncle Rumply.

starrkersstarrkersalmost 17 years ago
*Scribbles notes on back on envelope*

Great stuff, M'sieur Rumply. We may need to link to this from the feedback forum.

DG HearDG Hearalmost 17 years ago
Very Good!

There are a number of good lessons in your short essay. Could be very useful. Nicely done!

DG Hear

Tink4FairyTink4Fairyalmost 17 years ago
great title

This is a great title and a wonderful foreshadow to the piece itself. Terrific writing advice!

Selena_KittSelena_Kittalmost 17 years ago
Thanks!

Thanks, Rumple! This is a perfect how-to, and I agree about the title. Beginnings are incredibly important, and your advice is spot on.

_Lynn__Lynn_almost 17 years ago
Great advice...

A short read but full of info. Well done. Excuse Me, I have to go check the first line again of the new story I am working on............((Good Luck!!))

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 17 years ago
i bookmarked this one

Now I have got 65 opening lines to check.

woe is into me

Maharat

BazzzBazzzalmost 17 years ago
An informative how to essay

I don't care how good a writer you are, like anything else in life, you can always pick up some valuable advice. I certainly got that here. These pointers along with the age old keep it simple stupid are words to go by.

AngelWillingAngelWillingalmost 17 years ago
Never thought about it

I never thought about it before, but this is really good avice!

MarshAlienMarshAlienalmost 17 years ago
"It was a dark and stormy night,"

he mutters while he writes it down in his notebook. Got it! Thanks for the good advice. Still, it wouldn't have killed you to put an actual hooker in somewhere, would it?

angelicminxangelicminxalmost 17 years ago
Loved the title...

...and the advice. We've discussed opening lines in the past, and I'm glad you shared your insight with everyone here.

Hmm... My opening to "Project Shadow" (Sci-Fi novel in progress)...

It happened. The world ignored the warning, discounting the theorists as paranoid. Why would anyone commit such a grievous offense against humanity? In a democratic society, things like that just didn’t happen.

Ya reckon that works? Good luck, Rumply! *kiss* ~Minx

Rumple ForeskinRumple Foreskinalmost 17 years agoAuthor
No fair, Minx

You knew I wouldn't be able to resist.

That rating is for your opening, honest. No, really, it's a good one that should "hook" most readers into scrolling down for more. If you feel a need to tinker, that great first sentence might also work a bit later:

"The world ignored the warning--said the theorists were paranoid. Why would anyone commit such a crime against humanity? In a democratic society, things like that just didn’t happen."

Then that two-word paragraph, "It happened."

Just another way to skin the proverbial cat.

My thanks to Minx and everyone else who R'ed and V'ed and then left kind C's.

Rumple

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 17 years ago
This was a very informative piece

One thing I've always tried to do with my hooks is to keep them short, usually five words or less. Such as the first paragraph of one that read: Cupid was dead. Great work Rumple. Good luck in the contest.

oggbashanoggbashanalmost 17 years ago
So that's it?

So that's what I've been doing wrong?

I haven't been hooking but boring?

Thanks Rumple. Now I have to rewrite 150 stories...

Seriously though, this is a very good How-To with the title emphasising the message. Congratulations.

glynndahglynndahalmost 17 years ago
If I can just find the perfect opening line

the rest of the story often writes itself. Thank you for the inspiration to look for a hook.

HikergirlHikergirlalmost 17 years ago
You don't get a second chance...

...to make a first impression. Very sound advice, and something I will have to actively think about for my next story...because if I've done it right in the past, it has been by accident, not with thoughtful purpose!

driphoneydriphoneyalmost 14 years ago
Everyone thinks three years is too late.

But it's never too late for hookin'. Thanks for the How To, even if I am a bit late to the party.

DarkAurther6969DarkAurther6969about 2 years ago

Finally Yes YES YES YESSSS!!!!!! Someone Finally Gets it a Goddamn At least. What really Turns me off of Stories in this site is Author's Spending a Paragraph or Two on Descriptions, mostly Descriptions and in Turn I get taken out of the Story and Leave Thinking it is was of time, maybe it's just me but I don't see a point of Grabbing a hold of your Readers and Bring in your Story and Pulling them out of it again by spending a paragraph or two on Descriptions as I have said and it's usually Done with in the First Three or Four Paragraphs of the Story too. So Much so I always say "Please Don't spend a Paragraph on (Type) of Profile It takes me out Cock Sucker, Please Make Me Work For It By Incorporating it in your story by Blending it in the story and Not only that Please For the Love of everything that is Naughty Scatter it Don't Give it to me in one Long Boring Paragraph that would take me out of the story anyways." Bottom Line just think of the Info and Back Story and Character of your Favorite show or movie they don't Throw Everything at You At Once with in the First Four Minutes of the Film or the First Episode of the Show.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous