All Comments on 'Torchwood: A Review'

by KarennaC

Sort by:
  • 6 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousabout 16 years ago
poor americans

"at least one scene of male rear nudity (which was scrambled for BBCAmerica broadcast, at least)"

That is almost enough to make me feel sorry for Americans. It wasn't scrambled elsewhere.

Torchwood is a good show, not always great, but good. It appears that someone on Smallville watches Torchwood since they ripped some of the sound effects in the last episode.

StressingAsianStressingAsianabout 16 years ago
More of a summary

As someone who enjoys a little cheesy sci-fi every now and again Torchwood definitely showed up on my radar. I was even more interested after a friend from Wales said "they managed to make Cardiff look good!" And then I found an article with the series creator saying he wanted every character to have a homosexual experience and couldn't help but nosing around more (I mean, how wonderfully heavy handed is that?). So I was excited to see this at the top of the Lit queue. I liked it just fine, but I wish you had gotten into it a bit more instead of just sort of describing the series. I admit it, I am a little bit of a review whore and love reading MetaCritic even for shows and movies I will never seen (like Torchwood, until I get off my lazy butt and get cable). You end by saying "Torchwood contains strong doses of action, adventure, suspense, and sex. What's not to like?" Well, there would be plenty not to like if it was all poorly done, and that really my problem with the essay. You tell me about the quantity of titillating little bits, but not there quality.

DaniellekittenDaniellekittenabout 16 years ago
I love the program

I set my DVR to tape it every Saturday and I also am looking to buy the first season when I see it. Great summary of the show.

brian358brian358about 16 years ago
I'm Not So Keen...

I've been a fan of Dr Who for almost 30 years but I've been very disappointed by Torchwood.

1) It bears little or no relationship to Torchwood as presented in Dr Who.

2) Why have Torchwood when you have UNIT (Oh! For a decent UNIT series!).

3) I don't much care for the bisexual/homosexual nature of the programme. What people do in their own homes is down to them, but I don't want to see it week in and week out.

4) Some of the aliens, etc are ridiculous.

5) Some of the stories are ridiculous.

I've given it a fair go and watched the first 15 or 16 episodes. I really wanted to enjoy Torchwood. But I've not bothered with the last 2 or 3 weeks and can't see me taking it up again.

But roll on the next series of Dr Who!

Lynn_MXXLynn_MXXabout 13 years ago
BBC

Oh, THAT BBC (well, this Literotica.com)

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 10 years ago
Wrong, and suppositional

"Torchwood"" is an anagram of Doctor Who, but it was never touted as a codeword, and was only thrown in there because series producer Russell T. Davis has a puckish sense of humour and loves tweaking the nipples of Whovians like you; If you'd watched enough of the episodes, you'd know that Torchwood Hall was the stately home in the North where the Doctor and Rose saved Queen Victoria from a werewolf, but instead of being grateful, she was horrified that there was all this knowledge and technology not available to the best minds of the empire; she chose to see a time-travelling alien as a threat, and so caused the Torchwood Institute to be formed, to track and defend against any further incursions by the Doctor.

The blatant homosexual characteristics of Jack and Ianto are unsurprising, given that Russel T. Davis, the "Torchwood" series writer and producer, is unashamedly gay, and the producer of the seriously gay-themed "Queer as Folk" drama series, about the louche gay scene in the North of England, featuring some very explicit MM scenes.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous