All Comments on 'Did Lizzie Borden Have a Love Life?'

by DeniseNoe

Sort by:
  • 3 Comments
epiphany65epiphany65almost 16 years ago
Hyman Lubinsky...?

What a name... Hyman Lubinsky sounds like he should be a character from a Humour & Satire story. Very interesting article. I had always thought the murders happened because she was being abused by her father. This is an interesting angle -- well researched and written.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 16 years ago
interesting theories

well written and informitive good job

AnonymousAnonymousover 11 years ago
Interesting.........

There is a fair amount of evidence that Lizzie Borden was not the murderer of her father and stepmother, not least of which was her speedy acquittal at trial. Even given the rudimentary nature of forensic science at the time it appears that the killer was taller, stronger, and of the opposite hand. I can't remember if Lizzie was right or left handed but it was noted that the blows that killed Andrew Borden came from the opposite of what would've been natural for her and at a steeper angle than would've been natural for the 5'2" Lizzie. The only known photograph of Lizzie makes her appear somewhat stocky but it was taken some twenty years later and at the time of the murders she was quite petite and one of main reasons for her acquittal was the jury's refusal to believe that she was physically capable carrying out the murders.

The boyfriend theory makes some sense as does the Bridget Sullivan theory but by the same token so does the theory that Lizzie uncle committed the murders due to the fear that Andrew Borden was going to change his will in favor of his new wife. The uncle was questioned by the police and his strange behavior subsequent to the murders was noted but the police were unable to break his alibi and he was not called to testify at the trial nor did he even attend.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous