All Comments on 'Eros in the Song of Solomon'

by DeniseNoe

Sort by:
  • 7 Comments
WritingKnightWritingKnightover 15 years ago
Well Done!

This was very well written as it was informative. I do have a question, however. Twice, the male narrator mentions "my sister, my spouse". Could it be incest? I noticed you didn't touch (pardon the pun) on that possiblility, and I'm curious about it. Thanks for a great read! WK

H.H.MorantH.H.Morantover 15 years ago
The Crime of Father Amaro

In El Crimen del Padre Amaro (The Crime of Father Amaro) the priest (played by Gael Garcia Bernal) gives "instruction" to a beautiful young woman (played by Ana Claudia Talancón) who wishes to become a nun.

The text the good father uses is, of course, the Song of Solomon.

The movie is based upon a nineteenth century Mexican novel. Both are dark, dark, dark, and bitterly criticized as anti-Catholic.

On a lighter side - many years ago I was told a story about chapel one morning at the Kent School (then an exclusively boys' prep school in Connecticut; it was affiliated, I believe, with the Episcopal church. Chapel attendance was compulsory. A senior (a different one each morning) read a selection from scripture.

Yep - you guessed it. Our hero read from the Song of Solomon, much to the delight of his fellow students and horror of the faculty.

AnonymousAnonymousover 15 years ago
Why can't we accept ourselves

Why can't people accept the human body as beautiful and it's effect on other bodies as a natural sexual instinct that hels us reproduce just like all other creaatures have the impulse to reporduce. Sex has been shown to me twice and it hasn't turned me off to it - I value what is part of our impuse, part of our instinct, our drive to become more of us. Sure some of it is a bit strong for a feeling but we need it or else we wouldn't have been here for so long. WWe do it, animals do it, face ourselces honestly. Also, we can raise ourselces to a higherlevel Love seuxually and beautifully, we are lovely, we are deserving of respect and awe! We can worship God as we make Love wih for, to, and as we procreate. Love of one another, Love God and be Grateful!

Thank You Lord!

Morgan Terry

TricialenTricialenover 15 years ago
Beautiful

My favorite poetry....it is so beautiful...so erotic...lovely telling by you...

AnonymousAnonymousover 15 years ago
Attn: WritingKnight

I believe that the meaning of "sister" is of sharing the same faith, as in "Sister/Brother in Christ".

AnonymousAnonymousover 15 years ago
a few points

Well, a few things.

Originally, when putting together the Bible, the Rabbis were debating whether or not to leave that book in.

One, R' Akiba, said that it was the Holy of Holies (alluding to room in the Temple where the Ark of Gd lay).

As far as "sister," goes...in that time period, the word was used as an endearment. Given the culture in which that book was written, it's extremely unlikely that a love poem feature a pair of siblings wouls have made it into Biblical canon (with R' Akiba's recommendation).

AnonymousAnonymousabout 14 years ago
I love the songs!

Very good writing!

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous