All Comments on 'How to be Prolific'

by WFEATHER

Sort by:
  • 5 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousover 15 years ago
Suggestions for character(s) traits

Characters are all around us - part of our daily lives. As an amateur writer (not nearly as prolific or talented as WFEATHER), I look for unique characteristics in people I meet and apply those (often exaggerated) to my stories. Another method is to observe people in public places (e.g. restaurants, airports, etc) and imagine/fantasize/visualize what they are like. For instance, I might observe an attractive woman and think about what she likes, sexually. Does she swallow? Do anal? Submissive or dominant? How does she carry herself? Is she physically large or small? Big boobs or not? Put these things together and you have a character.

I would also like to compliment WFEATHER on this article - sage advice from an excellent source. Thank you for that, WFEATHER. Darcy Midnight

Sir GalahadSir Galahadover 15 years ago
A practical look at the mechanics of the art

WFEATHER has it right. Leon Uris had one of his characters in QB VII who was a writer give a lecture on writing. He asked how many of those present wanted to be writers. All of them raised their hands.

"So why aren't you at home writng?" he asked, and walked off the stage.

It's like anything else. The more you write, the easier and faster a writer you'll become. This article has some good hints on how to get there. It's worth printing out for repeated reading.

jasperscribblerjasperscribblerover 15 years ago
So why am I noting instead of writing fiction?

My best story by far began as an informal challenge to write about a character from the town and one from the country. The characters took over quickly and a planned short story turned into a novel. But then I got ambitious (without acting ambitious) and started to revise it heavily to be more like a novel, and little has happened with it for years.

Another long story grew out of a formal challenge. I finished this one, but couldn't submit it because it was way too long. I've stalled on doing anything with that one because it seems to want to be a screenplay rather than a story and, well, I can't figure out how to use the screenplay program.

And then there's the bane of a writer's existence, and his best excuse for not writing: A wife who likes to knit and watch TV and feels neglected without a warm body watching with her.

AnonymousAnonymousover 15 years ago
If I may suggest to WFEATHER--She should attempt

to write quality instead of quanity. There are several NIT-WITS writing quanity here--Sammy, BFW, etc etc

AnonymousAnonymousabout 6 years ago
Great advice for all writers!

This advice is solid for any and all writers in all genres. I've been writing professionally for over 10 years, but there have been long periods of inactivity when teaching to pay the bills compromised my writing time and output, thus stalling my writing career. Back on track now, writing daily as you suggest, and looking forward to launching this career once and for all!

Great article! Thank you for sharing it!

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous