All Comments on 'Addams Family vs. ATM marriage'

by DeniseNoe

Sort by:
  • 3 Comments
gatorhermitgatorhermitover 15 years ago
Good Essay

I had watched the Addams Family as a young'un and decided a couple of years ago that my kids might like the show. We rented the DVD's and sure enough, my kids did like it. As an adult, I could not help but notice the chemistry between Carolyn Jones and John Astin - they were flirting with each other like crazy (and having much fun doing so). It was subtle and very erotic.<p>I think every husband has felt like an ATM machine at some point in the marriage - even in a good marriage. Insightful essay!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 15 years ago
Addams Family vs. The Munsters explanation

As a growing child, I always enjoyed "Addams Family" episodes much more than "Munsters", Denise.

And you hit the nail right on the head with respect to why. I have always hated TV's "stupid dad" stereotyping of men.

Also, I have always found artificially platonic character relationships between husband and wife on TV to be boring.

The subtly steamy onscreen relationship between Gomez and Morticia rocked.... while the arms-length friendship between Herman and Lily was a yawner in comparison.

I am pleased to find your writings here on this site, Denise. I am going to register and read more!

fourthwire

fanfarefanfareover 9 years ago
in perspective

Denise, I think you have written a very succinct critique of the American Entertainment Industry and specifically analyzing the hollywooding of broadcast television.

As a historian, I have another POV for you and your readers. The original Charles Addams cartoons were originally based upon the reality of the decaying New England aristocracy.

" Where the Lowells talk only to Cabots / And the Cabots talk only to God."

When many an unfortunate disabled child or dysfunctional relative or pregnant servant were locked up in the attic so as not to shame the family among their neighbors.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous