All Comments on 'Prepare, Eat and Enjoy MREs Ch. 01'

by SunrockSin

Sort by:
  • 7 Comments
KoreavetKoreavetover 15 years ago
Better than C rations?

With C rations we also got a pack of cigarettes, toilet paper, and a P-38 can opener that I still have.

AnonymousAnonymousover 15 years ago
Of course C Rats have not been issued for years

and they took the cigarettes outaround the end of Vietnam. The MRE comes with a 4.2 oz container of water (plastic bag) for use in fixing the meal. MREs are good for 5-11 years for the newer packs with soem parts rated at 30 years. The freeze dried stuff, not military issue, is good for up to 30 years.

You can buy some on Ebay (watch for prep date) just 7-8 years back the meals were rated at 5-7 years. Or you can buy them from vendors over the Internet between $4-8 a meal.

AnonymousAnonymousover 15 years ago
Meals Rejected by Etheopians

is the politest definition i ever heard for MRE. they are also know as "3 lies for the price of one" since they're not a meal, they aren't ready, and no sane person would refer to their consumption as "eating". also, i can't say as i've ever heard anyone use the word "enjoy" in relation to them, but maybe it's the novelty of the experience. Try eating them 2 or 3 times a day, for days on end, same menu over & over & over..... blech.

all that being said, they beat the hell out of being hungry, even if there are too many foofoo meal choices these days.

they really need to make the Tabasco bottle bigger though, since it's the only flavor to be found anywhere in the package.

incubus666incubus666over 15 years ago
JEEZ, KIDS THESE DAYS

A long, long time ago, in a land far, far away, there was a country called Viet Nam, or Nam, or The Nam.

We had C Rations from the 1950s. The best meal was Beaney Weenies. The worst was known as Ham and Mother Fuckers. That translated to Ham & Lima Beans. Also known as shit in a can.

While doing my 18 months in country the SEALs, we were inserting and extracting, were given what were the predecessors of MREs. They were LRRPs. LRRPs were really good.

I think the new young warriors need to be fed Ham & Mother Fuckers for a coupla day while in basic so they know how good they got it.<LOL>

Just in case you are curious I had to walk 5 miles to school in the snow and into the wind. Up hill both ways. This was in Southern California.

Statement: The new navy is not what the old navy was.

Reply: No and it never was.

Mike S.

AnonymousAnonymousover 15 years ago
Is that English?

Wouldn't "Ready to Eat Meal" be closer to English?

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 15 years ago
2000 calories

The average MRE has around 2000 calories; a whole days worth for most individuals. They are actually intended to be consumed "in the field" over a long time period. I would by no means reccomend eating three of these a day!

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
hmm

pretty hot but no character develoment

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous