All Comments on 'Make Big Bucks Selling Fiction'

by BarbraNovac

Sort by:
  • 14 Comments
Green_GemGreen_Gemover 15 years ago
Informative!

Thanks for this interesting and informative piece. I haven't ventured into the world of ebooks, but you've certainly given me some food for thought. Best of luck for your paid work too!

J

tenbears43tenbears43over 15 years ago
Well done

As one who has been out of school for over fifty years, it becomes hard sometimes to remember even the basics.Barbra it's nice to find some one who can make it easier for us novice to understand. Please keep us informed.

magmamanmagmamanover 15 years ago
I have been selling my work too

For around 20 years or so, I started out doing "How-to's" for the auto industry and still do.

Two points to remember that I discovered the hard way.

One is to never allow a "pay when published" because if they insist on that they can go away as far as I am concerned. I have several works that have gone to never never land that I could sell now but simply don't own the rights to. Didn't get paid, either.

The other is doing pulp, or "shorts". It doesn't matter the subject, if it's pretty good someone will pay for the right to publish it. Insist on "right to publish" without giving up the copyrights. Less money that way but more sales possible.

The big ones for light erotica are in Canada, and India. I have made as much as 3 grand selling shorts in one pop, some that are posted here. One pulp publisher took 150 of my stories at $20 per right to publish, that was a nice check.

I average around 10-20K per year writing, and trust me when I say that puts me in the top 15% or so of people who write for pay. Most of that is $150-200 articles with pics for free mags to the auto industry, though. Sure, a best seller can make you a pile, but those don't come along every day. I call "best sellers" B/S. Most that reach that point are ghost written for TV personalities or celebrities, but it can happen if a format clicks..Never ever give up, I can wallpaper my house with "Thank you but not suitable at this time." notes....lol..but sometimes...MGM

AnonymousAnonymousover 15 years ago
It Works

Got a check in the mail just yesterday for two stories I wrote 4 years ago on Lit. Didn't have to do one bit of new work.

AnonymousAnonymousover 15 years ago
Brilliant!

This essay is so good! Of course seasoned writers will find more to add, but you have convinced me about the essential features of E publishing and the effort it takes to get out there and be read. (Psst! If we send you a PM are you able to supply a secret list of useful E publishers?) J

AnonymousAnonymousover 14 years ago
Good advice

Sensible advice. You certainly taught me a lot. Please tell us about marketing.

bbwlove8369bbwlove8369over 14 years ago
Thank You!!

You have no idea how helpfull this is. I have been thinking about publishing and I needed this. Again Thank you!!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 11 years ago
Hope needs kindling to keep burning, but turning hope and effort into success?

That takes a practical plan. Your guidance is a great skeleton blueprint for aspiring authors in the erotica genre. I just wanted to thank you, your advice is a pearl of wisdom. I'd rather take from your experience than acquire through what would at best be much lengthier bumbling and toe-stubbing travails on my own quest for publication. Now how many "ego bandages" would that potential marketing story make null for my fragile little psyche? Please? Please? Pretty please? With sugar on top?

AnonymousAnonymousabout 10 years ago
Loved this!

As an aspiring writer, in both romantica and fantasy, I absolutely loved this little article. This really helped me to put into perspective all that I need to do, which for me' has always been very difficult to grasp. What do I get for this book, is it best to go ahead and start another while I wait? Where should I find out all this info? Yes, between all the different guidelines and how to's I've seen, I became very confused, but you have explained it so clearly! I appreciate you sharing with us, this has been a magnificent help!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 9 years ago
good advice

thanks for taking the time to write this,i really appreciate authors giving to others to help and motivate them.

Slava28Slava28about 8 years ago
Spot on!

Thanks for taking the time to write this! I have zer0 (ha!) idea about any of this process. Going looking for the marketing one now. You rock!

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
great

thanks. I like your article. I will take note. your tips are wonderful.

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
Good Info

Thanks...I just started looking into the possibility of selling my stuff, and you've given some good pointers. Thank you!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

The substance was excellent, and I believe the author was addressing the somewhat egotistical neurosphere of many writers. Sadly, as a lifetime teacher and editor I saw some errors in her writing which made me wonder about this niche. Did she not edit her own work? Does she not have a "second eye" by now for her own writing? Other than those pesky grammatical and spelling errors, the article was on point.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous