All Comments on 'Can a Woman Be a Man On-Screen?'

by DeniseNoe

Sort by:
  • 4 Comments
EspressoBolusEspressoBolusabout 15 years ago
Nice article

Thanks for an interesting and thoughtful article. It would be too tempting to point out that Roger E. also seems a bit testosterone challenged on occasion. Swank's performance was astounding in my opinion. I expected mention of Victor/Victoria, which was great fun and endeared fans all over again to Julie Andrews.

DanielOrmeDanielOrmeabout 15 years ago
You forgot Cate Blanchett

Interesting essay, but you forgot Cate Blanchett as Bob Dylan in "I'm Not There," a remarkably convincing portrayal when you compare it to the actual Dylan of 1965-66 that she's playing.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 15 years ago
Don't forget...

Caitlin Clarke in the 1981 movie Dragonslayer. Even though it sounds a lot like a testosterone based, pimple faced, nerd flick... the storyline really revolves around gender bias and the trials and tribulations of the female characters stuck in a man's (and dragon's) world. Caitlin did a great job of playing Valerian in both male and female incarnations. Even though the ending is too sappy... it's hard to ignore the real underlying messages being pushed through.

fourthwirefourthwireabout 15 years ago
Interesting analsysis

Thank you for such an interesting analysis, Denise. The screen phenomenon of women-playing-men shows an unusual twist to Hollywood, doesn't it?

Very insightful reading, in my opinion.....

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous