All Comments on 'Let's Get Fit'

by davion2308

Sort by:
  • 9 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousalmost 15 years ago
Sensible

Great common sense approach. Thanks!

Eric_ShiftEric_Shiftalmost 15 years ago
Thank You

All basic really, I have a crook back but I still walk. Im fucked after it(not in a good way) but I recover within an hour. And the diet is so important

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 15 years ago
So true...

All the fancy fad diets are designed for only one reason - to make money for the author. Losing weight really is simple arithmetic; use more calories than you eat and you will lose weight. Also, don't try to rush it and don't be depressed if it goes slowly. A weight loss of a pound a week is fine. All these diets which talk about losing 5-10 pounds a week are not healthy for you. Even if you are 50 pounds overweight - you will lose it in a year!

And one final incentive. If you lose weight, your penis gets bigger. Well, not really, but you lose that pad of fat above it and when you lose your belly, you get closer to your partner, so you can get more of it inside. So sex is better for your partner, and she/he is going to be a lot happier if there is less weight on top as well!

Happy walking!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 15 years ago
*sigh*

I only gave it 25% because at least the article meant well and tried, but what weight loss isn't is effective. Ever. Outside of extremely unusual eating habits, medical conditions, or life styles, you can't lose weight over the long term. You can't. Period. Weight loss has been studied for decades, largely growing out of studies done during and after WWII regarding starvation and lack of food. Fact of the matter is, any normal diet in terms of calories will result in you maintaining your normal weight. Not one single study in 60 years has shown ANY weight loss tactics to actually work FOR FIVE YEARS. Even at two years, most of them fall apart. Atkins, for example, will cause you to lose weight, and then you will start regaining it, and then you will be back to your starting weight around 18 months. Now, it is possible to change your base weight by 10 pounds or so, 15 if you happen to be a broad-shouldered, six-and-a-half foot tall male. But that's it. You can trim down, and no more. All those diets people THINK have worked for years? That's because they don't stick to them. They diet to get their weight down, then let off and it comes back. Thus, the body never acclimates and simply adjusts to the calorie restrictions, but yo-yo dieting is about the most unhealthy thing you can do outside of smoking.

People, you want to like your body? Then like your body; it's yours, it's beautifuly, appreciate it. There's nothing wrong with exercising, as it is good for the heart and lungs and all that, but don't do it to change who you are.

And as a side note, in almost all studies, thinner people do WORSE in health, whether it's mortality, mobidity, recovery from surgery, coping with cancer, etc. Only when we hit the top one or two percent in weight does the trend begin to reverse. So, if you wonder why older people often look fatter, it's because the other ones died young.

davion2308davion2308almost 15 years agoAuthor
For the guy with the *sigh*

Seriously? Healthy, trim people die first? Heart disease is the #1 killer in America and obesity is the highest risk factor.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 15 years ago
*sigh* has it wrong

It is far from impossible to modify your body weight. While it is true that faddy diets don't work, this article is not about faddy diets, it is about the sort of changes to behaviour and diet which can be successful in losing (or gaining) weight. As for such changes being impossible to sustain in the long term, I am 40 pounds heavier now than when I was 18 - how did that happen? How do Sumo wrestlers bulk up for their fighting career and then drop the weight when they retire?

The sort of dodgy cohort studies which claim to show poor health outcomes for thin people are fundamentally flawed as they ignore serious pre-existing underlying health problems in the people they study - they're seeing people who are thin because they are dying (most cancers are extraordinarily effective ways of losing weight) and including them in the statistics as though they are people who are dying because they are thin - it's worth noting exactly the same error in studies claiming to show alcohol intake can be beneficial.

markbellowsmarkbellowsabout 14 years ago
I have a doubt

This is a very good article and i understand your importance of walking. I reduce my hip size by 36 from 38 by just walking and eating simple fruits. This is a tremendous change for me. My doubt is how can i avoid calories if I am a rice eater ?

XodanXodanover 13 years ago
Nice comments...

We all know about that but you get it in "perspective" ..

thanks for posting

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
does coffee work?

i mix instant coffee with warm water and drink it before i go to workout eueryday . how do i make my thighs thin? i am losing weight from my upper body, not from my thighs! chiranjeetmishra13@gmail.com- mail me

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userdavion2308@davion2308
385 Followers
There's not much to tell. I've been writing different works, serious and silly, erotic and political, for the past decade. I enjoy reading and writing and I think there is nothing greater then to connect mentally and intellectually with the people that read my work. If yo...