All Comments on 'For the Love of Holly'

by wantsomefun1951

Sort by:
  • 222 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousover 14 years ago
Just beautiful

What a beautiful, tender love story. This was quite a departure from your other submissions and I applaude you for it. Well done, wantsomefun1951. This was the perfect Christmas tale of romance.

AnonymousAnonymousover 14 years ago
In all honesty.....

I thought this was pure crap. I gave you 25% to honor your extreme effort in churning out 6 pages of this garbage. You are a writer who, if one would buy you for what you are worth, and then sell you for what you think you are worth, a fortune would be made. You would likely blast away at the very comments I was about to make regarding your weaknesses as a writer, so I'll save my breath and let you wallow in your fantasies. I expect that ejls will come flying to your rescue, as you always do to hers, so why bother expressing constructive, useful tips to you and yours. Maybe you and ejls could someday be kind enough to divulge your relationship, be it spouses, co-writers, or whatever, instead of lying in wait to torpedo anyone who criticizes the other. You are also a quite pompous ass, and your silly writing reflects this. Does anyone else agree? Oh. wait, who else would trudge through 6 pages of your crap? No one, actually. Good day.

AnonymousAnonymousover 14 years ago
Fantastic Story!

Wonderful story and characters!!! I loved reading this story and it truly reminds everyone the true meaning of giving. Thank you for a heartfelt story!

AnonymousAnonymousover 14 years ago
Absolutely beautiful!

'nuff said! :-)

AllosaurusRexAllosaurusRexover 14 years ago
How wonderful

One of the best romance stories I have read for a long time, how can any body call this "pure crap" i do not know but I think that "Anonymous in GB" is the "pompous ass" who has'nt the guts to put his name to a post.

Allosaurus

Pineapplelovers69Pineapplelovers69over 14 years ago
True meaning

You were right when you said this was not a porn story, but a story of selflessness, and finding romance. It was long, but so worth the read. I find it a real pleasure to read about young people making a difference in the lives of others. It was everything one would expect from a Hallmark Christmas movie.

mwall23mwall23over 14 years ago
Soft and wonderful

Thank you for such a romantic story. I loved it because it make me laugh cry and wish for more.

AnonymousAnonymousover 14 years ago
I was so excited....

to read thru to the end that I peed my pants. Then I bent over and spread my cheeks and asked my boyfriend to stick it in my ass so I could take my mind off this shitty "story".

Tarheels_FanTarheels_Fanover 14 years ago
Wonderful Christmas tale

Thank you for sharing this story with us. It's the type of story that recharges my hopes after a long hard day. I agree with the comment about this being something you would see on the Hallmark Channel, because that's what I'm watching as I read this.

Kudos

catman71catman71over 14 years ago
ignore the idiots

the story is what it is: heartwarming and life affirming and to those who attack with no attriburion, if you feel so strongly do so with out hidding that is cowardice

AlitheAlitheover 14 years ago
Warming and Wonderful!

This story does an equally good job of warming the soul as any cup of hot cocoa would. It was a sweet, very humble romance. And I also came to a realization ... the main male character was never really bad (criminal), but in a way, this was a wake up call for him regardless.

AnonymousAnonymousover 14 years ago
Thumbs down

Not so good, but you did try to overwhelm it by volume

AnonymousAnonymousover 14 years ago
heart warming.

i loved this story,it was a perfect christmas story,it portrays hope,joy and most importantly the spirit of christmas.What more can i say beside an excellent job well done-tally.

AnonymousAnonymousover 14 years ago
Well done

I don't often comment on stories, but this was one of the best. Very well done indeed. I thought I had written the mother of all happy endings, but you beat me hands down. I have never so enjoyed being outdone.

AnonymousAnonymousover 14 years ago
Sorry, not impressed

Kind of a smaltzy, effeminant, poofy story, better suited to a crapster, not a lit site. Did not like it, sorry.

sherlock40sherlock40over 14 years ago
Excellent story

Thank you for this wonderful story. An enjoyable feel-good story. And also a thank you to the anonymous commenters. Extremely amusing.

bruce22bruce22over 14 years ago
Delicious Story

When I read that he wanted to be a chef I was sure we were going to get pages of description of fine cuisine. Instead we had a parade of nice people doing their best for those around them. My diabetes will not permit me to read too many stories like this but we do need stories like this to strengthen our hearts....

domrogerdomrogerover 14 years ago
Nit picking

An excellent story,well written and full of the Christmas apirit.

AnonymousAnonymousover 14 years ago
Too smug for me.

But good effort.

AnonymousAnonymousover 14 years ago
why the negative comments

To all the people who left negative comments on this story. Why? If there was something about it that you felt was not right say so. Negative comments with no reason does not help

the author better his/her story. This was exactly what the author stated he wanted it to be a feel good love story.

I think it is one of the best to appear on this site.

AnonymousAnonymousover 14 years ago
I disagree

We are expressing opinions, mine is that this is a blah story, what will help this author? A better attitude, some graciousness. He is combative in defended those he agrees with, and attacks others who he disagrees with. He should re-work his stories more before submitting, or, maybe, don't submit until they are better.

JennyBearJennyBearover 14 years ago
I loved it!

TY for taking the time and making the effort to write.

AnonymousAnonymousover 14 years ago
Sorry, I loved it.

Yes, it's a sappy, fairytale romance, but from the standpoint of an older man who fights depression and loneliness every single day, it's just what I need. I get so discouraged with all the stories that feature a hot sex scene, followed immediately by a statement to the effect that, "It was a great night, and I'll remember it for a long time." What happened to caring about and for someone, and yes, what happened to love? But especially, what happened to respect? I suspect that some of those who wrote such critical comments have never been in a relationship that included love and mutual respect. I have enjoyed that several times as a younger man, and a one night stand, no matter how thrilling, can't touch it. I know very well that life does not often go as smoothly as it did for these two characters, but I found it a treat to read something filled with affection, respect, gentleness, and kindness. On top of that, the author has a better command of language than 98% of those who contribute to this site, particularly by comments filled with errors and inadequate construction of a sentence.

elijahmommyelijahmommyover 14 years ago
I loved it.

Im so happy I had the chance to read your story. It was so good. It showed that there are people who are actually selfless and it showed the spirit of Christmas.

MrMudd2222MrMudd2222over 14 years ago
love your characters

If only life could always be so wonderful! Your characterizations are excellently done. It's great to meet real people whod only get to the love making in part 6 of a 6 part srory. By the way, if Yolanda is modelled on a real, unattached person, I would love to meet her -- for me, the most appealing character in a story replete with wonderful people.

vexcavevexcaveover 14 years ago
Believable characters in a heart-warming plot

It takes a certain amount of attention to detail to flesh out one's characters to make them human. You have done a fine job of creating living, breathing people to the point that I could imagine people playing them. That's the mark of a good story. Thank you for that. I'm glad you put your disclaimer out in front to ward off the people who just want a plotless story of person A running into person B with the remaining 95% of the story revolving around 10 different positions and 5 partners. This has easily been the best story I've read of the Christmas submissions. Superbly done!

AnonymousAnonymousover 14 years ago
Ewwwww

Schmaltzy pap of the very worst kind. I couldn't get past the first page. A holiday piece doesn't have to be mindless garbage, despite the fact that most people think of the holidays in this way. I know you can imagine better than this. Way below your normal level.

AnonymousAnonymousover 14 years ago
Uh oh, maybe someone is stealing your email addres

You are an interesting little guy, crying about stolen email addresses and the resulting benign emails that are sent, as a result. What a pansy you are. Why not just pee your pants, cry, and be done with it, crybaby.

wantsomefun1951wantsomefun1951over 14 years agoAuthor
Huh?

I don't normally comment on my own stories, but I can't let this one go. What the hell are you talking about? Stolen e-mail address? Are you sure you mean to be talking to me? I just don't get it. You don't have to like my story -- hell, I don't even like some of my stuff as much as I did when I first posted it, and I have thought about removing some of my stories to re-write them, but just haven't bothered. If you want to hate on me, fine, but hate on me for something that at least makes a little bit of sense!

AnonymousAnonymousover 14 years ago
Perfect

What a perfect Christmas story. The writing was very good and the story was contemporary. A really great job.

AnonymousAnonymousover 14 years ago
Great!

To borrow words from previous commenters: "the best that I've read of the Christmas submissions" and "Hallmark movie" are both phrases that come to mind. It's very sweet, tender, and lovely. Thanks for sharing this. And being an author on a site that apparently has many such horrible flaming comments I'm sure you already know this, but just keep in mind that some people get off on making others feel badly and it's so much easier to do behind the anonymity of a computer. I haven't read any of your other stories but this one was wonderful. Don't worry too much about the random negativity for no reason. :)

AnonymousAnonymousover 14 years ago
Sell your baseball cards, please.

I think you would like to sell some of your baseball cards for a lot of money. Then, you could buy a little pink skirt and wear it to the store. The girls who work there would be really impressed by the big, bad boss then, wouldn't they?

Magic_fingers_69Magic_fingers_69over 14 years ago
enjoyable

Completely enjoyed the rich detail and attention to the surroundings as well and the crafting of the words. I truly look forward to reading more of your submissions

AnonymousAnonymousover 14 years ago
Ick

Hallmark quality and style.

ReadsalotReadsalotover 14 years ago
Nicely done

Perhaps a bit over the top, but a good story. Too bad life doesn't really imitate art. But a very good point was made about growth and being willing to do for others. Something we could all do more of.

AnonymousAnonymousover 14 years ago
Good Holiday Story

Forget the negative comments. You did well!

shadownyteshadownyteover 14 years ago
Haha

Since You took third in the contest, I guess the idiots that flamed you have been shown for what they are. I felt marcy character and reasoning to get him to the kitchen was weak, but overall I greatly enjoyed the story. Have to admit, I would have enjoyed the story without the sexual aspect of it too. Guess I am a romantic sap at heart.

Lo09Lo09over 14 years ago
Great Work

I Loved your story, it was totally believable. I guess I'm a romantic at heart.

It's nice to see a story where people strive to better themselves & help others.

If you notice most all the negative comments were anonymous, all that means is that the person writing them doesn't have the guts to identify themselves and take responsibility for what they said. To me these comments have no value. I hope you feel the same way.

AnonymousAnonymousover 14 years ago
A Great Gift for Christmas. Thanks

Thanks for a great story. It really makes the Spirits rise for the Holiday Season. It shows what the season really should be. So thank you again for sharing your story.

Magic_fingers_69Magic_fingers_69over 14 years ago
Fantastic

Every once ina a while a story pops up which truly peaks my interest. This is one of those stories, dont get me wrong the kink and visual images in my mind from other stories have brought many wonderful thoughts, but this one inspired feelings that some others may not associate with the holidays yet the holidays wouldnt be what they are without them. Well written and truly inspirational i'll keep my eye open for more of your work to hopefully come in the future.

Privates1stClassPrivates1stClassover 14 years ago
Truly enjoyable

As I read your story, I became more engaged with the characters you painted, and even though it was longer than most stories, I didn't want it to end. A great Christmas story! I've read the previous comments. Either they loved it or hated it. Perhaps those that hated it didn't get into the spirit of Christmas. Anyway, I'd say you showed the naysayers by winning a prize in the holiday contest. Congratulations!

photographerphotographerover 14 years ago
Well crafted, readable and interesting.

Interesting that most of the negative comments were from "anonymous" who sure wrote a lot of comments!

I liked it. I enjoyed the characters, fell in love with Holly myself, and look forward to more about these characters running the restaurant.

Ignore the nay-sayers. If they can write as well as they criticise, then I also look forward to some very well written stories from "anonymous"!

AlitheAlitheover 14 years ago
Congrats on placing!

I know I read this story a month or so back, but I don't remember if I commented. So, I will now -- it was great... a sweet blossoming romance between two young people.

AnonymousAnonymousover 14 years ago
Great Story

Should have been number one.

AnonymousAnonymousover 14 years ago
What a splendid story!

Not just written in grammatical English, this is a splendid, heart warming story that was a pleasure to read.

The characters were well drawn, the pace was nicely balanced and the attention to detail was very evident.

Thank you very much Mr. Wantsomefun

AnonymousAnonymousover 14 years ago
Should have been #1

This should have been the winning story. Sequel! Sequel!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 14 years ago
Did not get it, and I read all 6 pages!

You come across as a frustrated homosexual fellow. By droning on for 6 pages, you exasperated the heck out of me. In trying to point out some things that would improve your writing.... may I suggest5 that you take a que from our President, Mr. Obama, and think thru WHAT you are going to say, then HOW best to express it, then make your point and let it go, don't go on and on and on ad finitum. Based on your reactions to other comments on other of your stories.... I can just imagine you peeing your pants and sobbing uncontrolably. Right? Yeah, Ithought so, sorry.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 14 years ago
Well Done!

It was a sweet, slightly unbelievable, XMAS miracle type of story. It was a Hallmark, Lifetime, etc story and, in that vein, well done. Your characters fit the story and it all flowed well. If people do not care for this type of story, so be it, however, I will admit to reading most of the comments and the negative ones made absolutely no sense. Constructive criticism I get, hell just plain mean criticism, I get, but these had nothing to do with the story at all. Anyway, I enjoyed it, which is why I read in the first place.

Michael

MacsmistressMacsmistressabout 14 years ago
Excellent!

Marvelous story! This should get major exposure! I like the people in this story, and would like them as friends! Very well written!

YornHYornHabout 14 years ago
A BEAUTIFUL love story

... a fairy tale, of course, but it was absolutely wonderful to read.

Being a fairy tale, though, I would have liked her to be a virgin (yeah, I know - male chauvenist) - and couldn't help wondering about her backgroud, i.e. "you're not the first man to wake up in my bed" - it sounded a little cheap and not in line with the character.

Of course, I know how hard it is to find a virgin past the age of 13 but stil, in a fairy tale, it could happen.

100% good writing with ALL characters very likeable.

Thank you - please keep writing.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 14 years ago
Yup

I've read this story twice now. It was 5 stars on the first read and 5 starts on the second. If you're in the mood for a "feel good" story, this is it.

MoogPlayerMoogPlayeralmost 14 years ago
Outstanding

I really liked your story...and fuck that arrogant asshole who left the shitty comment about trudging through 6 pages of crap. I wish he were standing in front of me now so that i could slap that the shit out of his stupid ass. You did very well with this tale and I, for one, thoroughly enjoyed it.

AnonymousAnonymousover 13 years ago
Wonderful.

A truly wonderful story.

Thank you for taking the time to write it and then to share it

BlackbeltMageBlackbeltMageover 13 years ago
That was...

Awwwwww! Luckiest guy out. This story is like a chocolate cake, with chocolate icing and chocolate sprinkles - very sweet and sugary. And I happen to love chocolate. Wish that happened to me. Best story I've read in a long, long time.

AnonymousAnonymousover 13 years ago
A good read

This is the third or fourth time I have read this story and I still find it the best. It is good to read story that isn't full of unrealistic sex. It shows just what we can do if we really want to try. Thank you keep up the good work.

AnonymousAnonymousover 13 years ago
I liked it

Yes it was a warm fuzzy story, maybe a little too fuzzy but it was a great read. A make you feel good story. As for the flamers I dont get most of them. If you don't like the story bugger off.. Thanks for the effort author. Jim

It's happening again. I can't log in so I will have to be an anon. Jiminmab

BigJohn601BigJohn601about 13 years ago
Really loved the story.....

A bit sappy, but it wasn't too sweet for my tastes. Well written and enjoyable. Thanks.....

ananduananduabout 13 years ago
loved it

Wished there would be more love like you spread in front of your readers in the world.

Yes it is too sweet, too much icing on the cake , too much sentiment...so what?! Makes you feel good and even the love scene at the end made ME feel warm.

Maybe some of the readers will donate some time or money to a good cause after reading the story.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 13 years ago
Ummmm...

Few things rankled me a bit.. The character development was too abrupt, a roughness around the edges n a ragged pace in the story. Also Yolanda, I have hardly seen a character that annoying. I see how you're trying to be authentic, but again thecharacter development needs work.

Am leaving the comment becuase I like the fact tht you avoided straight smut. No offence intended!

All the best!

dmedic61dmedic61over 12 years ago
Lovely story

Very well written story. Only issue I have is that the instructor at the culinary school is always addressed as "Chef" and not Mr. I though the pace was good and the plot line went well. Thank you for writing this.

Socially_IneptSocially_Ineptover 12 years ago
Yes it is.

It most definitely is what the holidays are all about. I truly LOVED this story. Thank you so much for writing it.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 12 years ago
Beautiful....

One of the best, sentimental and beautiful stories i have come across... This one has all the elements that wins hearts and will make the reader believe in the magic of true love and determination.... Love how the protagonist goes from being a petty criminal to the all round good guy... Cheers and waiting for similar stories....

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 12 years ago
Great Story

I really loved this story. All the elements flowed and made the characters and situations believable.

TalonsreachTalonsreachalmost 12 years ago
Outstanding

What a great story. Love. Infectious Christmas magic. Redemption. Oh, and did I say love?

Keep writing please. I can't wait for your next masterpiece.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 12 years ago
Fairy story

What a load of tripe!

rexspauldingrexspauldingalmost 12 years ago
Anonymous BS

To the anonymous user who posted on 7/14/12 about this being a fairy tale and a load of tripe - grow up. Your negative criticism, if you can even call it that, is elementary at best, only serving to indicate a rudimentary knowledge, rendering the very same comment a load of tripe, that is, utterly worthless. This site, in case you were unaware (which I suspect), is a literary collection of user submitted erotic FICTION. If only more individuals' behavior was half as noble as the main character and nowhere near as cynical or cowardly as the anonymous user, then perhaps moments like those present in this wonderful story may very well become commonplace as charity might reign supreme.

Wantsomefun1951 - I am awestruck by the sincerity of your characters and the presentation of such a tenderhearted story. This work is in that category that is meant to build up, inspire and warm the hearts of those who read it. I truly felt all those emotions and must say I thoroughly enjoyed the whole thing. I commend you on delivering these things to us, the audience.

Rex

stkftrstkftrover 11 years ago
Outstanding

At a time in my life when there really isnt much hope, this story made me forget, for a little while, the bleakness and the pain. This kind of writing is the real comfort and inspiration you can find in a truly well crafted and beautifully thought out story. Thanx

roveroneroveroneover 11 years ago
hard to believe all the slams...

I thought it was a great story, and, as I'm a chef, quite well written from a professional point of view.

I've never seen such insults on any other story I've read on here-I suspect they were all written by the same person, who has a huge problem-no one was holding a gun to his (about certain it's a he) head making him read it through till the end.

As your other stories have hot sex this one did just what you set out to do with it...

I gave it 5

AnonymousAnonymousover 11 years ago
To rexspaulding

Dont wory about him he is jealous.

Grumpy

AnonymousAnonymousover 11 years ago
It may be a fairy story, but it's a great one.

True, this is probably unrealistic, but I was able to suspend disbelief and this is a lovely romance. And there are plenty of people out there, selflessly working in soup kitchens, homeless peoples shelters and the like, just to try to help other people. Many find this more rewarding than material success. Why shouldn't they be celebrated in a story and given, in that story, the happy ending such people deserve? Five stars.

wantsomefun1951wantsomefun1951over 11 years agoAuthor
Thank you!

Slams are part of posting your stuff and allowing people to comment. It used to piss me off, but now, not so much. Most hate comments follow one of two patterns:

1. "u suk u fagot rite a sex seen my mom hottr then this"

2. Cut-and-paste insults that appear on a writer's entire collection, or on everything the cyber-vandal sees that day. Sometimes, these trolls follow a writer from one website to another, as I believe mine has.

Reading my story again myself, I see it badly needs a re-write, but there are a lot of things I wouldn't change -- the characters, the progression of events, the near lack of sex, and the "Hallmark Channel" schmaltzines.

I like to write feel-good stories about Christmas.

AnonymousAnonymousover 11 years ago
Amazing!!

Started reading what I thought was a sex story. Couldn't put it down, as they say.

Fantastic story! This is 11/2012 and the story is still appropriate.

Great work.....forget about the jerks. They would have complained to Shakespear.

Artemis807Artemis807over 11 years ago
Absolutely heartwarming

This is one of the best stories I have come across on many of the literary sites I have browsed. I loved the characters and I love the way the story developed.

I hope you write more stories similar to this one, because this one filled my heart with warmth.

Thanks,

Artemis.

AnonymousAnonymousover 11 years ago
Wow!

I Loved this story! I read here occasionally but this is the first time I have ever commented on anything. The story was a great read and although it was slightly unbelievable, it was a fantastic romantic story. It is a fictional story with fictional characters and so the unbelievable side just adds to the magic.

The reason for my post is based pure and simply on the "anonymous" commenter. He seems to have a personal vendeta against this author (especially noted when he mentions another writer coming to this writers defense all the time) I have no doubt that these comments were made by one very lonely person who seems to have an obsession with writing about crying alone like a little girl. Perhaps this is due anonymous usually crying alone by oneself? Or the complete lack of social life he seems to have by being readily available to slander this authors posts?

Anyway don't give up! Your writing is good and this story was great! Everyone would change something in hindsight so don't listen to mr or mrs anonymous who clearly doesn't have the spine to put a first name.

Best of luck

Emma

rangerrigsrangerrigsabout 11 years ago
Amazing

An enthusiastic 5 stars for this one! Beautiful story.

KunyomiKunyomiabout 11 years ago
Nice read

Good story and good characters, if I had make a complaint it would be that the whole "Big generous world" is a bit unbelievable, but I understand the point you're trying to make here.

Hot steamy sex scenes aint what I'm here in the Romance section for either, 5 stars well deserved

sgkfinancesgkfinancealmost 11 years ago
Splendid

Excellent story - though as one of the comments suggested Holly's "You're not the first guy to wake up in my bed" was slightly off-beat considering both are responsible lovers. Most of us live vicariously through these stories (it's disappointing to call this soft porn) for the reading duration and anybody may be slightly put off if a loving girl/boy friend says that after a magical night (even if it is just cuddling). Other than that, I liked everybody, particularly Holly.

I've come across Holly like young responsible people, and have had the odd miracle / luck happen to me too, when I lost all hope. So, the story is really believable. You have excellent writing skills. Please don't try to re-write this, even the so-called imperfections add luster.

sparknclasssparknclassalmost 11 years ago
Loved the characters

I love your characters and was rooting for all of them. I liked the story line too. Wish I could write something like this.

chytownchytownalmost 11 years ago
Great Story*****

I did not know it was a Christmas Story. I really enjoyed it. Thank for sharing.

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
Happy Christmas

A real love story with a happy ending makes a change from all the sex in the run of the mill stories on here, though I enjoy those I found this one extra special. Thank you

Sid0604Sid0604over 10 years ago
Thank you

I really enjoyed reading your story.

Thank you

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
Superb Writing!

Not just a Christmas story but an excellent contribution and enjoyable reading with many great things plus a little sex thrown in.

OleguyOleguyover 10 years ago
Shoulda bin 55*

Loved it you darn good author.

carbinemastercarbinemasterover 10 years ago

Wow...just...wow! Great story with an awesome ending!

tastethejuicetastethejuiceover 10 years ago
Great Read

I don't know how many times I have read this story, I enjoy it every time, I find it uplifting when life gets a bit rough around the edges, it gives my spirits a BIG boost and that keeps me going. Thank you for one of the best reads on this site.

Thank You.

Peter.

ManofMithgarManofMithgarover 10 years ago
South Street

The sad part of this scenario is that there are more and more people depending on "soup kitchens" in every city in America and we are sending millions of dollars to foreign countries. I really enjoyed this love story and the love was spread many ways.

Thanks for writing it.

potsherdpotsherdover 10 years ago
Heartwarming story

...in the best tradition of Horatio Alger, right down to the happy ending.

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
Absolutely lovely Thanksgiving / Christmas holiday story

Yes it was smooozy, very syrupy, but that's what Holiday Romance stories are about.

But; I felt that you "insulted" Holly's character when she said "you're not the only one who's slept in my bed"; I mean c'mon ... she's obviously not a tramp & is in love.

bushpig99bushpig99over 10 years ago
America,home of the free ??

The story is excellent,if only to point out the failings of the welfare and health systems of america. My country is covered by a system that has all citizens covered for both. I am sad that america can,t see that Obamacare at least tries to address some of the issues.Look to Australia to see how it works Jay.

lit_addictlit_addictabout 10 years ago
Could it be improved? Sure. Who cares - I loved it

I am coming to truly hate trolls. You told us what your story was and you gave it to us. I think you are correct that you could rewrite it to make it better - you are clearly a good enough writer - but if you do, be careful. This is a little gem, and it is because your storytelling captures us and takes us along for the ride. If you revise it, make damn sure you don't write out whatever it is that makes that happen. And what is it that makes it happen? I really don't know.

I could criticize elements of character for each of the characters, but I love these people. You can criticize the characters as not being complex enough (or complete enough as I think someone did), but really, why would you want to? I think of the secondary characters as approaching the status of archetypes rather than as multi-dimensional characters, but I think they have to be to make the spirit of the soup kitchen believable in a short story format. And this is necessary for the phenomenal orgy of commitment and giving to take place. But these kinds of things actually happen in the real world, and it is always because somebody finds a reason to commit themselves to something to some degree totally incomprehensible to us "normal" folks. And then their commitment captures that spark of optimism in the hearts of even the most cynical of us and the impossible happens.

And James and Holly? Sure you read this through and say "for God's sake, stop this idiocy and get it on already,". It is painful to watch him run away from love so diligently. And Holly - what is wrong with this woman - sticking around waiting for this idiot to come to his senses? But as this is written, you can't doubt that this is real love, magical and built to last. Could you just have them hop into bed and still create that certainty of their love with an "and they lived happily ever after"? Maybe, but frankly I'd need to see it written before I'd believe it.

I frankly admit I am a sap for "true love" stories (I loved "The Notebook") and the optimistic stories of people pulling together - sparked by one person's vision that just pulls everyone else along - to accomplish some great good that really does make the world a better place. And this story really fed my hunger for these things.

If you rewrite the story, I will read it avidly, but I have serious doubts that I will like it more. Thank you for writing this. Please do more, in any genre you please. I am busy now reading all your stories, and I dread the time - coming much too quickly - when I will have read them all. Please write more so that I postpone that fate.

Handley_PageHandley_Pagealmost 10 years ago
Damned good

Excellently timed & paced story.

[also a stab in the back of a western system which has the hungry at Christmastime.]

MoogPlayerMoogPlayeralmost 10 years ago
Simply Wonderful!

I know that I've read this story quite a few times as its in my favorite's list, but it never fails to bring tears to my eyes every time I read it. Thanks for writing such a delightful tale,

MoogPlayer aka Gerry

Richie4110Richie4110almost 10 years ago
Great read

Thanks for your wonderful story. I could say more but it would detract from the good feelings I have right now.

rightbankrightbankover 9 years ago
heart warming

a success story that tugs.

I wish you had not painted Holly quite so darkly.

cross13cross13over 9 years ago
Awesome

This was a great build up. I think you could have extended it more, give more to the ending, but an overall great read.

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago

Lovedthe story from beginning to end! Granted, the round up ending with everything tied up with a nice bow (pardon the pun) and Mr. Gunshy up and proposing seemed like an ice tea with too much sugar (hehe) but thats just what we needed to mentally tie us to a certain Christmas show most of us older gang probably watch every year ;)

Great job and thanks for writing it!

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
Very nice story

It was a pleasure to read from beginning to the very end.

George in Omaha

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
He DonĀ“t Thanks the responsable for his good luck...

Marcy!

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
Good Story!

Not a wild ride, but a very good story. I was interested in these people, and wanted to know what happened in the next chapter of their lives. With some work, I honestly could see this as a screenplay. Thank you, and keep writing!

GoesGruntGoesGruntover 9 years ago
Literotica Meets Hallmark

Sappy, but great anyway.

Thanks for sharing your work.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous