All Comments on 'How To Fly International Easily'

by OnlyByMoonlight

Sort by:
  • 14 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousover 14 years ago
TSA locks

You can buy TSA approved locks for your luggage - key or 3 digit combination - go for the 3 digit combination ones - it's frustrating if you lose the key.

AnonymousAnonymousover 14 years ago
Jet Lag

When flying to the UK from Boston, I always take the morning flight. I leave about 9am Boston time and arrive (tired) at about 9pm London time. I then go where I'm going to stay and go to bed. When I wake up the next morning, my body is virtually in sync with the UK making it relatively jet lag free.

AnonymousAnonymousover 14 years ago
More tips

I always pack a change of underware and a shirt and a minimum toilet kit plus my medication in my carryon bag. Then if your luggage is mislaid you can wash one lot in the bedroom sink roll it up tight in the towel then hang on the radiator and they will all be dry and clean for the next morning. Saves a lot of hassle as you can get on with your holiday without having to buy everything you need until you luggage turns up.

Scotsman69Scotsman69over 14 years ago
Just one piece of advice

to those flying to or through the UK.

AVOID HEATHROW. The world's busiest international airport is a nightmare!

humminbeanhumminbeanover 14 years ago
A good start

Bags get lost. Put anything you'll need immediately in carry-on, including:

-- medications,

-- toothbrush and change of underwear,

-- for a business trip, clean shirt and any presentation materials.

Bring any valuables (camera, jewelry, ...) as carry-on. Most baggage inspectors are honest - most, but not all.

AnonymousAnonymousover 14 years ago
Good tips

I've done a lot of international flying. One thing that *will* single you out for additional screening is making conversation with uniformed personnel. Be polite, be civil, and speak only when spoken to. Speak as little as possible to fully comply with all requests and questions.

Hydration is important, so drink plenty of water before, during, and after your flight. This helps reduce jet lag and also helps curb hunger (many times, what we perceive as hunger pangs are actually signals that we need water).

Learning relaxation techniques is also a good idea for frequent flyers, regardless of destination. I'm hardly a Zen master <g>, but deep breathing, meditation, prayer, etc., can reduce stress and make the experience a little easier.

AnonymousAnonymousover 14 years ago
More thoughts

SHOTS - Returning to the US from many less developed countries, especially in the tropics, requires that one have a record of innoculations, etc. The US state department web page has a list of countries and requirements.

MEDICATIONS: Take a basic first aid/medication kit with you. That would include basic antibiotic ointment, band-aids, tincture of iodine or equiv., anti-diarhea, laxative, and ant-acid if you use it. Small quatities in your checked baggage will not present a problem. Have a copy of your prescription for any prescription medications you are carrying.

FINAL THOUGHTS: I'd like to emphasize that international travel should be approached as an adventure. You get what you get. I am in my mid 60's and have been travelling/living abroad off and on since I was 9. Things have gotten quantum levels better, but airplanes still break, people cause whole airports to get shut down, some idiot causes a captain to turn around and come back, your taxi to the airport has a wreck, etc on and on. If you approach it as an adventure, and modify your expections to mere hopes, you will avoid much stress that affects many travelers.

AnonymousAnonymousover 14 years ago
talk about killing time

You must have been so bored at the airport! I have to agree with you about flying through DeGaulle (I've had luggage lost there three times, and always at Christmas). It is a cattle call. The only thing I would add is that on int'l flights, DeGaulle now has a secondary passport check AFTER you have presented your information for boarding the plane. I never put my boarding pass or passport away anymore until I'm seated on the plane

AnonymousAnonymousover 14 years ago
Codeshare flights

If I am on a codeshare flight, I want to know who actually operates the flight and what their flight code is.

Codeshare flights are those where one airline operates the flight but other airlines (usually partners in one of the big alliances) can sell seats using their own flight numbers. An example (from Wikipedia) is SQ6837, UA9569 and NZ703. All three refer to the same flight, operated by NZ.

Sometimes flight lists or gate identification will display all of the codeshares. However, I have often seen where the flight is listed only once, and every few seconds the flight code cycles through the different codes. If you happen to look at the wrong moment, you might think your flight isn't listed. Sometimes only the operator's flight code is listed, with no mention of codeshares at all.

There may be no mention of your codeshare code at the gate itself, in terminal announcements, or even on the plane itself. If you don't know the operator's flight code, you might ignore a boarding or gate-change announcement, or worry that you've ended up on the wrong flight.

Who operates the flight may also dictate where you check in and check your luggage. Not knowing could put you in the wrong terminal or waiting through a long wrong line/queue.

larrywanderslarrywandersover 14 years ago
Pack your electronics neatly

If your carry-on goes through the scanner with wires/cords tossed haphazard in your bag, you will be delayed for additional screening. If you don't want to lose your camera, laptop, etc., put them in your carry-on. If you use one of the airport caddies, get their email address and contact them before you come back through. They will meet you at your plane and zip you through the airport easily (very helpful at Schiphol).

CoraClarkeCoraClarkeover 14 years ago
Never Had a problem at Heathrow

Ive Travelled from BWI to Heathrow 4 times in 2002, 2003, 2004 and 2005. Ive never had a problem with the Customs people or the Luggage in That Airport. I have been stopped and my bag searched by US People when I came back. But it was because I was travelling alone. I am a White female so I dont 'fit' the profile of someone who would blow up a plane,

I didnt mind it tho. I knew that it was the procedure. If you make a fuss.. it will only be harder on you then it is supposed to be.. I didnt mind it. and If I had to do it again I would comply.

austin_voyaustin_voyover 14 years ago
Some corrections are in order

First of all, the need for visas varies from country to country. Going to Russia? Get a visa. China? Brazil? Yup. Even Australia (which takes about 37.5 seconds to obtain). Also note that most countries require a passport that is valid for at least six months after the arrival date.

If you have any "medications" (to be OT with lit, this includes "personal lubricants") they have to go in a separate bag and be presented by hand. The liquids are limited, but you also need to check the restrictions for return flights. For several weeks after the liquids fiasco occurred, the UK barred ALL carry-ons.

One thing I recommend is taking aspirin. I take one every 8 to 10 hours. For the flight from LAX to SYD, I take one about an hour before boarding then another about 8 hours after departure. Qantas still encourages walking around, but kind of try to keep folks from congregating. If you are on any kind of blood thinner medication ask your doc about the above suggestion.

I DO NOT recommend taking anything that induces sleep. Three or four years ago a study was published about "traveler's amnesia". Folks would take Ambien and on arrival, would be very confused and disoriented and sometimes not even know where they were. All because they usually only got 6 or so hours of sleep.

AnonymousAnonymousover 14 years ago
Good insight for the novice

Good info for the novice traveler. One thing that has helped me with international flights is to take an extra pair of socks. Once we are up in the air, I take off my shoes and socks and I put on the other socks and walk around the plane...then I change them before the plane lands and I put on my shoes so I don't get the dirt and germs from the carpet in my shoes. It is so much better than trapping your feet in those shoes for hours and hours.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Good Advice

One additional thing, On a couple of recent trips back to the US I found that the US passport control and Customs were stationed in foreign airports so we went through both processes before getting on the plane. However one place was from Canada and the other was Ireland. Have no idea what it's like now in other countries.

I can say it is a lot harder and more complex than it was in fifties (but then Mom and Dad were doing all the hassle filled things), or in the sixties. Of course there weren't nearly as many flights or passengers back then.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous