All Comments on 'Well I'll Be Damned'

by Slirpuff

Sort by:
  • 69 Comments
michael1950michael1950about 14 years ago
Keep up the good work,

I know you are doing what you enjoy, I am glad you are now on Lit. I read some of your stuff on dark wanderer, an was glad to see you show up here. I get so fed up reading comments of the english professors, Fuck em, I am not an author so I just read , and make the occasional comment. To me a good theme is more important than a stray comma, or missing semicolon. A writer who can express the joy's and griefs in his or her hearts, says more than a fucking liberal journalist. An well enough of my ragging, I like what I have read of your stuff, Keep on expressing yourself. Thank you.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 14 years ago
You are a good writer

I am very good with grammar, spelling, appropriate phraseology, etc., but I don't believe in lambasting people because their stories do not meet my ideals. I have no wish to emulate some of the rude, crass people who inhabit this site, forgetting that this is FREE FICTION and that each author has the right to determine what he or she will write and how their characters will react.

As some would say, if you don't like what you read, don't read - OR, go write something yourself.

All I know is what I like to read and you, sir, fit the bill. I've lived through your earlier stories with POV changes, spelling and grammar errors, etc., BUT - I enjoyed the stories. You have a fertile imagination and a knack for keeping the genuine reader (obviously I count myself as one!) interested. I have a great respect for anyone who can turn out such gems. Most of your stories are really good and you have a very high percentage of 'must read' appeal. Whenever I see your nom-de-plume I immediately perk up and read it. If that's a token of admiration then so be it.

Please keep up the good work - you are improving all the time and deserve much better than some of the negatives I have seen. It is an unfortunate fact that praise is hard to come by and the reader who enjoys a story isn't necessarily inclined to demonstrate that enjoyment, whereas the reverse is true. Some, who can barely articulate one syllable words, think themselves experts on all things and cannot wait to open their mouths to prove their inadequacy. This is not to denigrate genuine, constructive, criticism, from which a good author can learn.

Thank you for your talent AND for sharing the loneliness of your path of discovery. You must have had some hard times during this period but at least know that many appreciate you.

Norman

dirtdigger1955dirtdigger1955about 14 years ago
No shit?...Good thing, too.

that you're gonna keep writing ,I mean. Punctuation, spelling, fucking grammar for cryin out loud. Stories, thats what I like to read. You do tell a damn good story. Thought you might have been kicked one too many times and packed it in. Happy to see I'm wrong about that.Periods, commas, semi fuckin' colons. Jesus H. Tapdancing Christ, on a Harley,with bermuda shorts and a Stevie Ray Vaughn Soul to soul t-shirt on, and a bleached blond named Wanda on the back, with a fourty inch bust, in a red tank top, DOUBLE D. And you think to yourself, this guy has issues. Yeah, so freakin what?, it has nothin to do with that punctuation shit, keep writing, I'll keep reading.

HarddaysknightHarddaysknightabout 14 years ago
You do make your share of mistakes, but

we all make more than a few. What you have that many do not is a great imagination. Your grammar can be corrected. Imagination cannot taught. Either people have it, or they don't. You have it. The other thing that you have; that us writers need is thick skin. Yeah, we do get hammered, but that is part of the rush. Do your best and let the readers decide. Literotica's comments work very well at giving writers some insight into how their stories are received. Keep posting!

energystarenergystarabout 14 years ago
I am not an writer...

But I think most can benefit from grammar remarks. This is a great forum (although not already forum for that). But I agree, it is the story that counts. Kind of why I like Neil Young and Crazy Horse because the songs seem more important to them than how they play them. final comment about comments ...so many seem like they are put off by these free stories. Free is a big word here and I am glad I get to read stories by (for example) Slirpuff and HDK. I do not see that appreciation in others sometimes.

cloacascloacasabout 14 years ago
You are improving as a writer

Your early efforts tended to skip bits of logic and that is more important than grammar or spelling. Writing tends to make the writer more conscious of the process of writing and that has obviously been the case with you. You have a good imagination and don't repeat the same story over and over, so keep it up and see where your writing goes. You'll find your limits.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 14 years ago
Keep it up, you're good

I have enjoyed following your development as a writer. I also enjoy reading the comments your writings generate. A stray comma, wrong POV and other errors do detract from a story. These yank a reader out of the story and force the focus on the language. You have for the most part moved beyond these simple problems.

As for the issues of storylines, you can't please everyone, so don't try. Some who comment here are laughable. There is no law that states "Once a cheater, always a cheater." Adultery is not an unforgivable sin. I also crack up over stories where the cheating wife lives out her live in utter misery for her sins. Ha! Most cheaters are like the adulteress in Proverbs, who eats of what she should not, wipes her mouth and says, "I have done nothing wrong."

I do wish that this site would block out some of the vicious commenters. However, your analysis here shows that a thoughtful person like yourself will learn from good comments.

The ones who perplex me the most are those who always have something bad to say, starting with, "All your stories are [fill in the abusive negatives]:" There are quite a few writers here whose stories I do not enjoy, so I skip them. If they don't respect you as an author, why do they continue to read your stories?

I do not have the time nor imagination needed to put forth a good story. I respect your efforts and look forward to reading more from you. Regards, Ttom.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 14 years ago
Very Interesting

Good to hear how you got into this. I like your stories and your style of writing. I do get upset when people criticize a story because it doesn't fit their image of what should happen ("Throw the bitch out and castrate her lover" comments when reconciliation is a more realistic alternative). There are stories I like, stories I don't like, and a lot I have no opinion on. But, if it is well written in all senses of the word, I will rate it high for that. If I don't like the story content, why abuse the author about that?

Thanks for continuing to post.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 14 years ago
Always a favorite

I always look for new stories from you. I suspect it's because

your views on the victim mirror my own. Keep up the good work.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 14 years ago
You have the right attitude...

Congrats. I enjoy your stories and they have improved. Write and submit what your proud of. No you cant please everyone so dont let that bug you. If your happy with it, go with it and be damned about the rest.

Poizon69Poizon69about 14 years ago
Hello Again Slirpuff.

Again it's nice to see where you are coming from. it's also nice to know your human like the rest of us who put stories out on this site and others. And yes your editor has helped you a lot. Just as I now have someone who tells me if my stories are any good or rubbish you have your wife and your editor. Well keep writing I for one always look for your stories.

rooster1rooster1about 14 years ago
I've grown to like your stories

I learned a long time back that I do not need to agree with someone to enjoy their work, & a couple of things some forget is the tales are fiction & they are not paying for them nor are the writers being paid. I don't expect to find works here by Tom Clancy or Sandra Brown nor James Clavell & if folks have read some of theirs they too have some problems & in spite of those they still sell books.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 14 years ago
Write to please yourself.....

because you can only please some of the people some of the time. I enjoy reading your stories even though I don't always like the outcome. But hey if I want a story to end a certain way then I should write it myself.

I have to give you a big pat on the back for sticking with it. I have always enjoyed your stories but your first stories (grammatical and POV) were painful to read, however I stuck it out and finished each one because the story itself was good. You've come a long way baby!!! :)

Not many authors would continue to write when berated the way you were in the beginning. I for one am very glad you took it in stride and continued writing. It has always bothered me when a reader votes a story down because they didn't like the outcome.

The best advice I can offer is to pass along some words of wisdom from a very well known NY TImes best selling author that I have had the pleasure of meeting...write what you are comfortable writing about, this comes from your real life experiences and most importantly write to please yourself, don't think about whether someone else is going to like your story as long as you like it and always strive to become a better author and person.

Good luck and Happy writing. I look forward reading many more of your stories!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 14 years ago
Thanks

It's refreshing to learn your POV. I've followed your stories since the first one and there has been a remarkable improvement. Well done to you and your whole team.<p>

I appreciate your stories for their imagination and they don't feel formulaic. For what it's worth, I enjoy stories evoke some emotion in me (anger, sadness, humor, etc). The best stories force me to take a break from reading for a few minutes. In this respect, I think you've been successful. I'm not a fan of stroke stories. Perhaps you've written a couple clunkers but considering your total body of work, I regard you as a successful author. <p>

kelly_kellykelly_kellyabout 14 years ago
<)))))))))))))))

This brought a BIG smile on my face. It's wonderful to know that you're working on your weekness. 80-90% of your stories I've enjoyed, there were few of them I didn't like.

Once a very well know author on this site said (in his mail) — each story is like the writer's child. We love them even if they are deformed, or the spawn of Satan!

If your stories satisfy you, and you are happy that you contibuted for free entertainment then you should feel proud. Anyway, continue writing.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 14 years ago
keep at it

Hi, I've read all your stories, some I like and some not but you have knack for finding compelling themes. Keep working on the grammar stuff because it can be a bit distracting but you have already gotten a lot better at it. You have a good sense of story and are especially good at real sounding dialog. In some of your stories I get the feeling you are thinking too much about us readers and you try to make your stories fit what you think we want. Specifically, sometimes you will make the wife particularly stupid or crazy and unrealistic in order to make the story fit into the familiar "to the curb" formula. Other times it seems you have the husband act stupidly just to rile us up. My main advice would be to try to keep your characters smart and reasonably sane and consistent, though of course, flawed in interesting ways. So that's my two cents, but feel free to ignore it, because to be honest, you are a much better writer than me.

mcwiiimcwiiiabout 14 years ago
Fuck the naysayers!!!

Even if you couldn't write, and you can, writing is an expression of ideas and thoughts...your ideas and thoughts. That is personal and individual. The writer's gift to the reader is sharing those thoughts of whatever nature. You do this rather well and in an organized fashion.

Your grammar has never been awful or even coloquial. Your spelling even in your first stories did not detract from the story. Some folks are naturally critical, it is said that those who are critics of authors do so because they are unable to create...

Like every other human being, you can't hit every ball out of the park. And like the intelligent person you seem to be, you have learned from the process. Personally, I look forward to reading your work.

As another of my favorite Lit authors says, "Lay on MacDuff"

nyminusnyminusabout 14 years ago
Hey Puff I know how you feel

I hate these writers (really loosers) who think that they are writing the GREAT novel or masterpiece. I have a problem with all the words that may of not be in the dictionary and the plots are usually convoluted. I am not one of those wimps who think their whole day is ruined if you have one word mispelled. I have a theory that the reason for writing is communication and spelling has changed so much through the ages that it's ridiculous. I read the thought not the spelling and if I understand what the writer ment by saying too instead of to well I am just a clod. Keep writing NYMINUS

AnonymousAnonymousabout 14 years ago
Don't let the pinheads get you down.

As an amatuer writer you're going to make a few mistakes.If you were professional you would be selling the stories.Most of your stuff is pretty good reading.No matter what you write,some moron is always going to say "it sucks".

lancewmlancewmabout 14 years ago
It was a pleasure to see you are working on your weaknesses

At times, it seemed you were ignoring constructive criticism because, for example, commenter like me pointed out your POV problems and you continued to write many stories with the same POV issues. However, finally, your use of POV did begin to improve. Over time, your story crafting improved. You have a great imagination to draw on. Keep it up. We are rooting for you.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 14 years ago
Simply enjoyed your tale of the "ups & downs" of writing for enjoyment and

submitting on these sites. We agreed 100% with your other submission on the "four types of stories" that piss almost all of us off. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and we look forward to your "non-wimp/divorce the slut wife and get decent revenge" type of stories.

zed0zed0about 14 years ago
A Coupla Thots

"Flash Stories" are a lazy writers attempt to avoid a complete story.

Endings are important, don't avoid them.

Everybody is not going to like your story no matter what.

Content is as important, and often overlooked.

"Word (perfect)" just doesn't understand.

Just remember editors are hated because they mutilate and kill your children.

Hang Tuff!

lancewmlancewmabout 14 years ago
BTW - this new system sucks.. not showing the rating with the comment

Did they test this on some of us and the testers liked this?

AnonymousAnonymousabout 14 years ago
Interesting

I've liked the story lines of many of your stories. I am not a writer, I am simply a reader. I do write for a living though just not in the fashion that is required to be a professional writer.

It is interesting to read about the trials and tribulations of submitting here and what the editors say. As for the reviews, I think you are indeed figuring out that some people cannot separate their own lives from the fiction they are reading.

Keep up the good work.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 14 years ago
I'm glad you took the constructive criticism well

I read all your stories on Dark Wanderer, and wanted to scream that I couldn't leave a comment. Your story lines are usually interesting, and have some good twists, but I just wanted to grab you and scream 'POV!" I'm glad you finally understand and there is a definite improvement in your stories. Sometimes we get brutal in our posts, because a lot of us think grammar, spelling and structure ARE important and there is so much out there that is lacking. Coming to Literotica was probably the best thing you did to force yourself to improve. The 'Loving Wives' category is absolutely the hardest place to post, because the critics are the toughest - they're looking for more than a stroke story. Keep paying attention to the constructive criticism, even if it seems harsh. As for the ones who scream because the guy is a wimp or the revenge is too brutal - you're not going to please everyone; don't even try. Just be the best writer you can be.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 14 years ago
keep writing

you are on the list I look for,thanks for the contributions and pls keep writing

AnonymousAnonymousabout 14 years ago
love your stuff

you keep writing and I'll continue to enjoy reading them lol

AnonymousAnonymousabout 14 years ago
you know what counts?

it's just the story! of course a little bit of spelling is needed, the rest who cares until he wants to win his money with writing. my teacher always gave me a good grade for the plot, a pretty bad for the writing and an even bader for grammar and spelling. so I never really tried after school and for sure not trying in a foreign language. so I read these stories besides entertainment so I don't loose my english. somebody gave you the hint to write in other categories. well be careful. I saw here some pretty experianced writers who fell flat on their face while trying. as long as you stand up after that , no problem. I would miss your stories.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 14 years ago
Works for me

I always have a great sense of anticipation when I see a new story by you. Keep at it, and have fun with the different endings. Personally, I like the ones where people reconcile. But every now and then a good "nuke 'em 'till they glow then shoot 'em in the dark" story is fun too. Keep at it.

mondliecht57mondliecht57about 14 years ago
It's refreshing to read

feedback that articulates the true feelings of readers that point out your strengths and weaknesses. Even if the plot or content of your stories are disliked by some there is no valid reason for them to be abusive toward you or other readers who just happen to disagree with their opinion. There is no excuse to be rude on feedback. If comments cannot be made politely and constructively they shouldn't even be made. Unfortunately there are a handful of "trolls" in the loving wives genre that enjoy making negative abusive comments. It's baffling to figure out their motives. I'm one reader that enjoys your imaginative stories. Although I was irritated at your earlier attempts, the change of point of view and the simple grammar errors were distracting, I continued reading your stories knowing that eventually improvement would be forthcoming. Thanks you for all the effort you put into posting well thought out erotic stories to keep this reader and others on this site entertained.

bruce22bruce22about 14 years ago
It was disappointing

to see you listed as an author on the board twice today, without having one of your creative loving wife tales to digest... HDK said it all. your creativity is your strong suit and you learn without being diverted from your objectives.

Thanks for giving me so much pleasure. By the way there some prize winning authors who would never get by the Literotica editors!

rlg99prlg99pabout 14 years ago
Keep Writing

I'm not going to rip into a writer for spelling or content, If I don't like a story then I move on to the next one. I'm happy to say you are one of the writers I look for so you keep writing and I'll keep reading.

Rob

stillstrokinstillstrokinabout 14 years ago
Brightening a room

They say that a person can brighten up a room of people.... for some by arriving, for others by leaving.

You will never please everyone. The way I look at it, write for the enjoyment it brings you. If a few of us also enjoy it, thats icing on the cake.

Reading your post here has me in a state of concern as I just recently submitted my first story and have yet to see if it will be posted.

Now i am curious to see just what type of comments i will get......oh well.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 14 years ago
*wink*

Reader reads ...

This one is dedicated to my wife and my editor Wolf Vixen who put up with all my mistakes and *keep* me on the right path. Thank You both.

Author thinks ...

Well I'll Be Damned

Reader ...

*friendly wink*

AnonymousAnonymousabout 14 years ago
A true realist. you cant please everyone.

I know what you are dealing with. I am a profesonal horseman and do several cllinics yearly and am watched while working with horses. All horses are different as so with people. What works on one horse wont with another. Just the same with people. Your grammar and spelling does't matter if it doesn't interfer with the plot. Same with horses, just get it done. Joe from Texas.

SeuratSeuratabout 14 years ago
Should be in the 'how to' section.

Slirpuff,

I would venture the premise that most readers and critics haven't written and don't know how much work goes into a finishing a story. Constructive criticism and praise goes far in supporting the community; the 'anonymous' reviewer that lambasts an author for not finishing a story the way he prefers needs to sit in front of the keyboard and produce instead of merely comment.

Them's that can't do, teaches. Or in a lot of cases, them's that won't do, burns others at the stake.

Editing has helped your stories greatly, and I still look forward to seeing your works when they show up. If you decide to start writing for other genres, please realize that 'loving wives' has the largest and most vocal readership. The fact that your name (and reputation as a 'loving wives' writer) drew more than 30 comments in two weeks should show you that you can be successful in another genre, if you take your time to do it right.

Way back when, in the early days of online erotic writing (say, the mid nineties) there was a reviewer named Celeste who propagated 'the blow job principle'; that is, if somebody gives you a blowjob, the least you can do is say thanks. And if you ever want another, you damn well better thank them profusely. The same applies to writing.

So, thanks for the stories. I look forward to the next one.

-Seurat

jiminabjiminabalmost 14 years ago
Liked that

What would it be like if we applied the same criteria to conversation as the commentators here did to the stories? Might be a quiet world. Thanks. Jim

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 14 years ago
Interesting and informative

I have been an avid reader of your stories from the beginning and believe there are only one or two that I didn't much like. Your ability to consistently create interesting and well written tales with such a large output is matched by very few. Incidentally, I don't enjoy "torch the bitch" stories; prefer it if they reconcile, but am okay if there is some sort of justice without the extremes.

Thanks for all the entertainment.

AnonymousAnonymousover 13 years ago
Keep on Writing!

I have been going down the list alphabetically reading almost every one of your stories. Your story lines are well thought out & usually keep me guessing right up to the end. Being a "victim" of a cheating slut wife, I like the ones where he gets his pound of flesh, but being successfully married (the 2nd time) sometimes I do like it when they reconcile. It just depends on the circumstances. You have to write what's in your head, man. Be true to your story. Like Ricky Nelson sang in his last hit, Garden Party: "You can't please everyone, so you got to please yourself." :-)

AnonymousAnonymousover 13 years ago

I typically favor the "torch the bitch" side of dealing with cheating wives, but I don't mind reconciliation so long as the betrayal isn't too deep (example: husband watches a three hour video of his wife acting like a complete whore while she's getting gang-banged) and the man getting back together with the wife makes sense. Unfortunately, a lot of author's dismiss the cheated-on husband's feelings and simply have him swallow his hurt without ever truly making an attempt at healing him.

MarvinSMarvinSabout 13 years ago
Grammar and such

If the comments on your stories have switched from picking on the grammar, spelling, and punctuation to commenting on the story line then I guess you have made improvement.

Can you go back to edit some of your older stories? The first person / third person point of view issue needs to be resolved in most of them.

I coming to the end of reading your stories -- in alphabetical order.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 13 years ago
Love your comments

This is funny, the best little story that i have read lately. Thank you....

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
No problems, mate.

I saw some of your stuff on Dark Wanderer and you can be sure that you're MUCH better now. As far as the comments go, don't worry about getting a little sand in your eye, just figure out which way the wind is blowing.

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
If you're pissing them off...

...enough that they take the time to write a "review," then your story has created a strong emotional response from them...strong enough that they felt compelled to reply. That's a good thing. They say that the measure of whether art is good, is NOT that it elicits a good feeling, but that it brings out a STRONG feeling-good or bad. Therefore, you can measure the success of your stories by the number of replies you get, somewhatly...

Another thought on this subject is what you touched on already: no matter how you finish your tale, some aren't going like it. Like they say: the haters are going to hate.

Also, consider the source when assigning importance to these comments. That is, I give more credence to a fellow author, than an angry commenter that sits on the sidelines and throws "rotten eggs" at those courageous enough to put our fingers to the keyboard and try to entertain. Those who at least take the time to add to their favorites list fall somewhere in between.

Also, it has happened to me more than once that my characters seem to demand their story to go well beyond my plans and outline. I feel that is some of my best work, and a few of the "reviewers" agreed.

Lastly, I'd like to say that I've been taken to task by some reviewers (and correctly so) for some plot point that went forgotten, and other things. So, I don't completely ignore all reviews. I do learn from them as well.

So, keep on writing. Whether I agree with the ending or not is moot. It's your damn story! Be true to it!

BigK

deJay_13deJay_13over 10 years ago
A comment

This publication is one of the most interesting I have read on Lit. The trials you have gone through seem plausible and what I would expect to hear if I tried to write. Yes, I have frustrated dreams of trying to write. I felt my ONE drawback would be my inability to type. Then after reading some GOOD writing, I found another drawback would be my inability to write funny little comments and quips. Later I learned yet another problem I might encounter. I would have problems with creating little "hooks" between chaptes to hold readers interests. Oh well, at least I might be able to offer some praise and encouragement to other writers.

There seems to be a number of even good writers that have minor grammatical mistakes in their work that makes it difficult for us "old fogeys" to keep our interest on the plot. So, I have written out a few of what I call "pet peeves" to give to writers I believe are serious in their craft. I will "copy-clip" them here and hope you understand they are just for our mutual interest and not meant to be caustic critiques.

***************************************

I am NOT a grammarian. If literature and spelling had not been incorporated with grammar in high school, I might not have passed English. I read voraciously though.

I guess it was reading so much, especially reading good writers that has caused my abhorrence for poor usage of our language. Bad spelling and poor usage of certain words just leap out of the page to me.

This occurs mostly when reading writings of others. I simply don’t seem capable of catching the many errors in my own writings. So, with that caveat, here are a few of my “Pet Peeves”:

1. Conscious and conscience are not interchangeable.

2. You’re and your are different words with different meanings.

3. They’re, their and there are also different words with different meanings.

4. Pass, passed and past are also different words with different meanings.

5. Then and than are also different words with different meanings.

6. Cloths and clothes are also different words with different meanings.

7. To, too and two are also different words with different meanings.

8. Quit, quiet and quite are also different words with different meanings.

9. Brassiere and brazier are also different words with different meanings.

10. Bear and bare are also different words with different meanings.

11. Bier and beer are also different words with different meanings.

12. Accept and except are also different words with different meanings.

13. Here and hear are also different words with different meanings.

14. Taught and taut are also different words with different meanings.

15. Waste and waist are also different words with different meanings.

16. New and knew are also different words with different meanings.

17. Sight and site are also different words with different meanings.

18. Tone and Town are also different words with different meanings.

19. Lien and lean are also different words with different meanings.

20. Do and Due are also different words with different meanings.

21. Effect and Affect are also different words with different meanings.

22. Queue and Cue are also different words with different meanings.

I won’t presume to give reasons or grammar lessons regarding the above “peeves”. Those that know the reasons would just laugh at my poor attempts. Others need the exercise in the learning process.

A few more of my “pet peeves” are:

1. There is no such thing as a “HOT water heater”. HOT water evidently doesn’t need to be heated. There may be some rare instances in industry or scientific laboratories where water already heated may need to be heated to a higher temperature (superheated), but the majority of “water heaters” are simply used to heat water of an ambient temperature.

2. Contrary to most Yankee opinions, us “rednecks” do not address a solitary person as “Y’ALL”. If we say to a solitary person “Y’all come to see us.” we simply mean that the invitation is extended to their entire family or organization. It’s courtesy. Something most Yankees would be unable to recognize anyway.

3. When someone says "I could care less”, what they are really saying is “I care”. If they could care less, it is obvious they MUST care some in order to care “less”. Possibly, what they meant to say is “I couldn’t care less”. If they could not care less they are saying they have no care for the subject in the discussion.

4. When someone investigates an organization or some thing, it is often reported that they have performed “due diligence”, indicating they have thoroughly researched the matter. Occasionally, some writer will make the error of stating that “do diligence” has been performed.

5. Sometimes a person will describe an object or a happenstance as a “one off”. What they should say is that it is a “one of”. “One off” has no relevance or meaning.

6. Tense has two meanings. Stressed is one. The other one has to do with time reference, such as “past tense, present tense, etc.” It is a matter of grammar. Example: When you want to say … “I walked to town yesterday,” if you write “I walk to town yesterday,” it doesn’t say the same thing and only confuses the reader. Using UK or Australian grammar as an excuse doesn’t wash. Grammar instructors in both nations would throw rocks at such poor excuses.

I read and enjoy a few stories on the web. It is frustrating to be reading an interesting story or research paper and get stopped or tripped up by an error which diverts attention or even distorts the thoughts of the writer.

Sincerely,

de Jay

AnonymousAnonymousabout 10 years ago
Wish

Wish I could write. I like a good story. That is why I rate many so high.

Keep it up.

tazz317tazz317about 10 years ago
SLIRPUFF YOU ARE RIGHT

Them that can, Write,,,,,Them that cant Read, TK U MLJ LV NV

bumd11bumd11almost 10 years ago

Criticisms of writing errors are perfectly valid; they are objective observations of mechanical flaws and as such are value free. Complaints that you did burn the cheating bitch -- or that you didn't -- certainly reflect the wishes of the reader, but basically amount to criticizing the story for not being what it wasn't. That is, they're mad because you wrote the story you wanted, not the one they wanted. While it's reasonable for the reader to wish the story had gone in a different direction, that doesn't mean the story was bad. The reader just didn't like it. Don't take those criticisms personally!

Slirpuff, you write fine tales with interesting and realistic characters. They aren't always commendable people, but they are credible. Please keep posting.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
Courage

I think you're (you are) very brave to write about your (those that belong to you) shortcomings. I didn't really intend to put those parenthesis in the first sentence but it just worked out.

I am going to read one of your stories now and I may have further comments. I like your frankness. Keep it up.

BTW (By The Way), I didn't find any errors in this letter.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 8 years ago
If My Comments Have Been Hurtful...I Am Sorry

We, as readers, must remember how hard it is to put our thoughts into words, with symmetry and in some chronological order. No two people can read the same story and reach the same conclusion as the other. Having gone through divorce and its many repercussions, I tend to almost violently oppose reconciliation. In my own case it was an expensive act of futility. But I am smart enough to realize each divorce is different. Some couples are able to muddle through it and make it work. But I stick to my staunch position that even if the reconciliation works, the marriage is never better than it began. Consider husband and wife as surgeons and your marriage is your patient. At one time that patient was vibrant, strong and healthy. Then one of you fires a near fatal shot through this body. You and your spouse work feverishly to repair the damage done. Together you manage to save the patient; but it is no longer as healthy as it was before surgery was required; and will never regain that degree of life. Some are happy that the marriage is still alive. Others feel that the more humane thing to do would be to take the patient off of life support and let it die a dignified death.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 8 years ago
You need to repost this !!!

I'm working my way through all of your stories, even reading a few of the comments left, and couldn't help but notice that you do seem to take a bit of a caning from some would be critics.

I really felt some of the comments were over the top, after all, the stories are readable, and if the characters appear unreal in one persons mind they are perfectly ok in someone else's.

So I started to write something in your defence !!!! .... But it got complicated and awkward, so I scrubbed it.

Reading on, through your stories, I came upon this one.

Maybe it's time to repost it.

It answers your critics beautifully.

VanescaVanescaover 7 years ago
Courage

Memo for Anonymous whose 11/02/15 comment was titled "Courage:"

Your letter that you checked and found error-free does have a misspelled word. "Parenthesis" is a singular noun; the plural is "parentheses."

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
Keep it up.

Remember that all those people who are criticizing you had to read your story first!!!

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
Your wrong!

You're grammar is just fine.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 6 years ago

The problem I found is in finding a willing Editor/proof reader. L has a list but NO rating system of who is any good or how many stories they have edited IF you get a return response from them. My first story I asked a dozen Editors that were named in various +4.35* stories that I liked - not one reply.... Why I was a newbie and unlikely.

After my first L submit was a total reject. I did lots of paragraphing - my first story was posted in eight parts and each part is scoring HOT +4.50*, so I feel good. But I am embarrassed at some of my stupid mistakes - damn dyslexia is still got a grip. I am also a Nam Vet and still a consulting Engineer.

I intend to keep plugging away and in a rewrite of my second story.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 6 years ago
Terrific!!

I enjoyed reading about your writing journey. Generally, I enjoy your writing. Some are really good, especially your romance stories. Some drove me crazy, but part of writing is to reach people. If a story drives people crazy it's definitely reaching out and touching a nerve. Some authors, such as HDK, seem to relish in it. And that's fine.

I like that your LW stories may have consequences, reconciliation endings or sometimes both. The thing I like about your reconciliation stories is there is usually an emotional journey to get back together. In others words, there are no magic BJ's that turns the guy's brains turn to pudding so he suddenly forgives and forgets all of the horrible things his wife did to him.

True, the grammar errors and POV switches in your earlier stories were distracting, but expected as these stories are not written by professions. These are written by individuals who have a profound love and joy to tell a story. And for that, I thank you.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 6 years ago
Still errors

“punctionation”? vs. punctuation

“Loving Wife’s” vs. Loving Wives

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
You served in Nam..... Thankyou.

That service hints of your age. You make some anachronistic errors in ' o Welcome Home"

It was a powerful and wonderful story.

Little timeline items don't fit. The daughter is fborn in 1973 and is 5 at the reconciliation making it 1978.

Chuck e Cheese was opened in 1977 by the inventor of Atari no less. One store in California. Franchises available in 1979. So they couldn't have eaten there since the story was not in Southern California.

They put on videotapes for the daughter. First VCR released in USA in 1977. In todays dollars it equates to $23,000. Not something many people had until early 80s. I got one in 1986. Cost $600 or two weeks wages. So unlikey our recovering vet or his ex wife had one.

My brother, also a Nam vet, still berates me if I mistakenly call a gun magazine a "clip"

Other than small things like that this was a great story.

Thanks for writing.

PommelknotPommelknotover 4 years ago
Grammer

The difference between knowing your shit, and knowing you're shit.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
You've Written

Many stories that touched me, some that really hurt as I commented after one it felt like you were following me around, looking over my shoulder taking notes and a couple that I Really didn't care for. I think 'Romance' stories might be your best genre. I'll defend you to the last in your attempts (Ok, I did say once that I couldn't defend you on one), because even though I've read your stories down the line alphabetically I can tell without looking at the dates your progress in improving. Taking that into account I just ignore the typo's and other little mistakes. If Lit has a filter to view the order of the stories by date I haven't found one, it would be great if they added that. Comments that just say things like "cuck shit' or something about "your husbands are always wimps or cucks" without any other 'suggestions' for improvement are like a flame about 3' high, they just burn my ass. There are several commentators in general who I have never seen give anything in the way of good suggestions or reviews but they still keep reading, just like the old, anecdotal definition of insanity. I new after reading your short biography that a lot of your work is autobiographical, been there myself. I've had done to me and unfortunately done some of the things you write to others, but no excuses for what I've done. I'm most proud of revenge that I still think was justified but I didn't do it only for the simple reason of what it could have meant for two little girls if it had gone sideways and I got caught. This little essay had me laughing and understanding a lot, thanks for that. The bottom line from me is come on back and spin some more tales of woe. One little thought, if the Lit moderators told you to use 'parenthese' when someone is talking they are wrong, "??????", quote marks work better. ;o} All my best to you and the missus, she must be a saint. Signed: BTW

NitpicNitpicalmost 4 years ago
Can

Can some one explain to me the point of this story?.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

I guess he never really learned from his mistakes, even his later stories had the exact same errors in it, maybe somewhat fewer, but still typos and POV errors galore, it was in no way fixed as he proclaimed.

One editor obviously wasn't enough, he should have gotten five, and maybe learned proper proofreading techniques so he could catch the POV changes on his own.

froggytreefroggytreeover 2 years ago

I kept waiting for the story to click in, lol. You will never please all the people. Please yourself. You have people here complaining about stories that they read for free. I like most of your stories. Some aren't really what I am looking for, but that's on me, not you. Take care, and keep writing.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

Nitpic, if you don't see the point, maybe you are part of the problem.

bob4300sbob4300sover 1 year ago

I love your stories and are nearly at the bottom of your list. Read them all. Thank you for taking the time to share them!

Bob

GuyfromShadesGuyfromShadesover 1 year ago

Oh so true. Thanks for your writing.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Load of shit Just write the fkn stories without all this bull shit

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Well this was an interesting read, for sure! For some reason I decided to read a few of the comments about it, something I very rarely do, they were interesting for sure. But if everyone on here quit writing and posting due to grammar errors, there wouldn’t be jack shit on here. I’ve been reading stories on here for years and due to bad grammar, have suffered thru some good to great stories. If I wanted good grammar reads, I would go buy a published book. I greatly enjoy these little diddies, most are short and good reads. When I find one I like, I click on the author and usually read everything they have written, as I am doing on your site. So in my opinion you are putting out some good interesting reads, which to me is more important than perfect grammar.

AnonymousAnonymous16 days ago

I started at the top of your list. Wife does not like me reading on this website or any adult site for that matter. Even though on our 1st anniversary, in a restaurant, she handed me the latest copy of playboy. She said..."I want you to know I don't mind you reading these."

As I said, she walked in one day while I was reading a story. SHE BLEW HER STACK! She stormed out of the house only to call me from her office.

"Why, why would read such filth?" Ice queen for 3 days. SO... I read at work.

I find you an entertaining writer and read cheating wife stories because I'm looking for the answers as to why women cheat. I usually skim over the detailed sex but very littke of it has bothered me. I know how devastating it is to realize such betrail,

It's happened to me 8 out of 8. As in every woman from senior in high school to present (44 years) has done me wrong with another.

One of them with her father, another with her brother and step father. Married twice out of the 8. 100 percent have been cheaters. Surveys cannot be accurate at 15 to 20% of women cheating. I digress.

Again I like most of your stories. Somtime youve actually had me so pissed off I have actually trembled with rage, feeling for the guy.

Usually giving 4/5. Rarely 3/5.

Thank you for writing...

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous