All Comments on 'What If There Is No Global Warming?'

by andtheend

Sort by:
  • 57 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousabout 14 years ago
I like the way you think

So I'm not the only one who thinks that carbon trading is just another money grab. Cool.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 14 years ago

Just for the hell of it, what exactly would you need to finally believe that global warming was real?

bowlerhatbowlerhatabout 14 years ago
Us too

You don't think yours is the only government into the lying game do you? Ours not only lies to us they ignore our opinions too. Most people want immigration stopped...no chance. Most people want the death penalty reinstated...no chance. Most people were ok with a european trading community but didn't want political union...oops too late. For a while I thought we lived in a democracy...stupid me.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 14 years ago
simple mind

simple thoughts

PistolpackinpetePistolpackinpeteabout 14 years ago
Do you mean to ask....

....What if there was no climate change??? Who ever called it "Global Warming", except Al Gore or the Republican disinformation Machine? Thank God nature doesn't lie and we don't have to rely on our fellow man for the answers.

RustyHotDippedNailRustyHotDippedNailabout 14 years ago
What the Hell does global warming have to do with Earth Day anyway?

Now that I can 100% agree with. I am an independent that leans conservative mostly on matters involving the economy. I am for the TEA party but have yet to be lucky enough to have time to go to the rallies. I am for recycling and in fact think it should be mandatory. I love nature and have had year round passes to the national parks, every year. I am against racism as are the vast majority of other conservatives. I am against sexism...I have two daughters. I am 100% for the 2nd Amendment. I am for school vouchers because it is more efficient. D.C. public schools get $25,000 a year to poorly educate the kids to an 18% math proficiency. Children chosen by a lottery (Anyone who says they were hand picked is lying to you) and with a $7,500 voucher, those kids got to go to private schools, some went to the same schools Obama's girls go to. Yeah, can't have the masses getting good educations for less tax payer dollars, had to end that program but quick before things got out of hand. Sorry ass Democrats. Why do they hate black people and Hispanic people? That's the races of the kids who got to use those vouchers. I am for space exploration to push technology...one day we may need to travel to other worlds and or terraform dead planets in order to survive I am for preserving species from going extinct. I am for using technology t rescue select species from extinction. I don't think we need to bring back T-Rex's though. But I am also smart enough to recognize when the rich are trying to scam us. I think we need to breath a sigh of relief that they didn't get away with it but also recognize that there was so much money at stake, as well as the reputations of the scientists who were involved in the scam, that they aren't done fighting yet. They still believe that if they keep repeating the lie, it will still become accepted as truth. And I agree with you, EARTH DAY doesn't need global warming, global climate change, or whatever they choose to call it next. Earth Day is about the earth and there are plenty of legitimate things that need our attention that have been neglected because of the junk science called global warming/climate change. We need to encourage more people to recycle. We need to press politicians to clean up our waterways. The lower Mississippi River is killing people there because of the horrid pollution. That needs to stop. We also need to continue to work on alternative fuels regardless of global warming being a scam because eventually, the oil will run out. It would be nice to be converted over to nuclear power plants and electric cars when that day comes...in fact, long before that day comes. Maybe we can find better uses in the future for what's left of the oil reserves. You get a 5.

kilcannonkilcannonabout 14 years ago
Food for thought

What I think is funny, is all the backtracking and blunt lies that have been told since it was revealed that the temoerature has not risen like predicted...http://epw.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=Minority.Blogs&ContentRecord_id=37AE6E96-802A-23AD-4C8A-EDF6D8150789......but I will probably be called names for making this assertion, I am not saying that we do not need to take action to clean up our environment, we have polluted and destroyed the prisitne beauty of this world, HOWEVER, we should admit one thing we cannot predict the weather accurately for more than a few hours, why should we blindly accept environmental predictions decades in advance. Clean our environment, yes, no one wants to live in dirt...but to scare people needlessly or to destroy the United States in order to do it, that is irresponsible and criminal

kilcannonkilcannonabout 14 years ago
an interesting detail

I was reading the other comments, and I noticed that your biggest detractors decided to hide behind the anon option. I guess they are only brave in large groups

AnonymousAnonymousabout 14 years ago
Not sure

I'm not sure, author, if you're poking fun at us or if this is a serious story. Nonetheless, you made me think about all that you have written.

Before reading what you wrote, if anyone asked me about global warming, I'd believe it to be true. Yet, now that I see in black and white all the lies that you have exposed by my government, it does make me pause to think that maybe global warming is a lie, too.

Maybe this whole recylcling, conservationism, the global warming, the sky is falling threat, is just a way for the rich to get richer. I've forgotten some of the lies the government has forced me to swallow, until you reiterate them here in this story.

I never thought I'd read something like this on Literotica, but I'm glad that I did. You've made my day. I can't wait to show this story to my husband.

Thank you and there's no need to delete my comment because I gave you a 5 vote and would have given you a 10 vote, if I could have.

CarBuffStuffCarBuffStuffabout 14 years ago
Funny story, but serious at the same time.

You made me think about some stuff, instead of just believing what they tell me on the news. I'm I don't know what to think. Thanks for the story.

andtheendandtheendabout 14 years agoAuthor
Thank you

Thank you everyone for the nice comments.

I really appreciate you reading, voting, and commenting on my story.

Even though I used humor in this story, global warming is a serious issue and after reading some of the comments, I'm not sure what to believe myself. My government has lied to me before and will again, no doubt.

Thanks

BOSTONFICTIONWRITERBOSTONFICTIONWRITERabout 14 years ago
Review and Essays

As a writer who has probably written the most reviews and essays on this site, I thought that this was a good one. It gave me much to think about, while doing it with humor. I like that part of it. And I agree with you, I don't trust our government. I'd like to have some definitive answer about some of those mysteries you mentioned. Good job and good luck in the contest. I gave you a 5 vote, by the way.

WmForresterWmForresterabout 14 years ago
Another good story

Another good story, Susan.

Good luck in the contest.

SimonCowellSimonCowellabout 14 years ago
The queen lies to us, too.

You're not the only country that your government lies to you. We have our share of scandals, too.

I enjoyed the read and I think there is a Santa Claus.

PositiveThinkerPositiveThinkerabout 14 years ago
I don't trust my government to tell me the truth

I agree with most of what you've written. Even though there was humor in it, I still got it.

I don't trust my government to tell me the truth and it wouldn't surprise me if they are lying about global warming, as a way for us fools to spend our money on things we wouldn't ordinarily buy with the thoughts that we're helping the environment. It wouldn't surprise me if the whole thing is a scam.

BarbieBunnyBarbieBunnyabout 14 years ago
Well,

Well, I for one, believe that there is global warming because I'm hot now (lol) and hotter than I ever was before (lol). Maybe that's just me (lol).

I liked the story. Good luck in the contest, Sweetie.

andtheendandtheendabout 14 years agoAuthor
To be honest

To be honest, I never expected this story would get as many comments, never mind enough votes and reads, but it has. I've scatched a nerve. A lot of people are angry that our government lies to us. They think we're stupid.

They think that they can just tell us anything and we'll believe it. Maybe that was true once, but they've lost the trust that we placed in them. They abused that trust by lying to us one too many times. Now, we question everything they say and I think that's good. It keeps them on their toes.

Thanks again.

jules1968jules1968about 14 years ago
Does it matter anyway? Will we really have the stomach to change before it's too late?

Global warming or not! governments telling lies or not! (most likely in this instance they do believe in it, but are using for their own ends anyway) does it really matter. En mass we humans are too selfish to reduce our impact globally and chances are we will (in my lifetime probably) use up the worlds resources (oil, food, water, land etc) to the point where there there will be mass starvation across the whole third world and energy blackouts in the developed world.. The advantage of the global warming issue, whether it's true or not, is that it is making us try and reduce our global footprint so that's got to be a good thing.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 14 years ago
Panic Time

The conspiracy is the result of the oil and coal industry being run by sociopaths who see today's profits in peril. They have the politicians in their pockets and those old fuckers will do anything to stay in power. ***** Look at the arctic melt, the receding glaciers ( sattelite photos) and that is all the proof you need. What is really scary is the scientists saying the arctic would be ice free around 2050 several years ago. Now they predict mid-teens. How much energy does it take to turn ice into water? There is one hell of a lot of energy coming our way. Global warming is real and may be past the stage where we can stop it. ***** Read Gwynn Dyer's book 'Climate Wars' to get an insight into our future when we start killing each other for the resources needed to survive a little longer.***** Worst case scenario for global warming is the extinction of all life on the face of the planet except for anaerobic bacteria. *****Yes, the governments of the world are lying to us. They are not telling us how bad things really are.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 14 years ago
Paranoid?

When people say you're paranoid, it's because they're trying to get you to lower your guard.

Seriously, though.... got any more conspiracy theories tucked away in that tin foil covered noggin?

AnonymousAnonymousabout 14 years ago
I know the secret :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

How come...

CarBuffStuff

BOSTONFICTIONWRITER

WmForrester

SimonCowell

PositiveThinker

Comment one after the other "EVERYWHERE"? Oh well, they are all "ALTS" of the same person. It's one person commenting under different name. I won't be surprised if "andtheend" is also one of the "ALTS"

You know me very well...And I know your secret.

grunabonagrunabonaabout 14 years ago
*****

Happy Earth Day, indeed. :)

RustyHotDippedNailRustyHotDippedNailabout 14 years ago
So the truth is out.

There is a small amount of localized global warming that centers around barbiebunny! But hey, it's not man made warming...it's woman made! :P

AnonymousAnonymousabout 14 years ago
Oprah

She is lesbian. I've been with her, I think. Maybe that was Gayle. I get them confused.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 14 years ago
What can we do about it? What CAN we do about it?

There maybe global warming; some (but not all) of the data supports it. It may be man-made or (more likely, IMO) a natural, cyclical phenomena. All that doesn't matter because, either way, I don't think we can stop it. So, how do we spend our money? I would rather spend money to adapt to the changes than on risky, unproven schemes to prevent the changes. and I don't want individuals and groups getting rich because of their political connections.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 14 years ago
NIce Try

Nice try BostonFictionWriter. I see you have found another name to go under and still write the same crap.

energystarenergystarabout 14 years ago
I mostly agree with RustyHotDippedNail

Except on school. how come other countries can do public education so much better than us. I this education is a responsibility not a (right or privilege). My schools would be a lot tougher on discipline. If you stop the class from being taught, you get kicked out. It is a must that we educate our people. I have met so many people who got out of high school and cannot read. White students from good (so called) suburban schools. I also think all people must put a year in the military or some kind of public service. Waving a flag does not do it any more.

Dinora3228Dinora3228about 14 years ago
Climatic science is not an exact science ...

and there in lies the problem. It's not that anyone is out to dupe anyone else on this matter (although there will be a few who see the money making opportunities and are taking them). If politicians were really out to make the most of climate change politically then they would have done so much sooner.

The problem is that few people understand forecasting and the science behind it. I think another problem is that we are all a bit jaded after a lot of forecasts haven't lived up to the 'worst case senario'. The swine flu has been almost a total non-event, the bird flu even more so. But if one looks at the history of flu epidemics (read up about the 1918 one in particular) then you start to understand why they have to give such scenarios. It *is* a possibility; just because it didn't happen like that didn't mean it wasn't a *possible outcome*.

When forecasters don't forecast the worst case senario and it does happen then they get it in the neck. The weather is a good example. So are the Aussie bush fires of a while back which killed a lot of people. A few months later similar conditions occurred. Nothing happened. The emergency services were criticised by some because the worst didn't happen. What those critics didn't realise was, to put it bluntly, their ignorance. It was probably more luck that something didn't happen.

Enough rambling. Feel free to email me if you want to discuss further.

andtheendandtheendabout 14 years agoAuthor
Thank you

Thank you to all those who have contributed their comments, informed, scientific, and otherwise.

Your support for my story is much appreciated.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 14 years ago
Common Denials Refuted

105 denials refuted:

http://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

Hundreds more, by category:

http://www.grist.org/article/series/skeptics/

Also see: wonderingmind42's youtube page for 7 hours of witty refutations and explanations in video @ http://www.youtube.com/user/wonderingmind42

Or check out his book,

"What's the Worst That Could Happen? A Rational Response to the Climate Change Debate"

YoursSINSerelyYoursSINSerelyabout 14 years ago
Holy Cow!

You really need to calm down and get a grip on what's real and what you are afraid of out there. Sounds like everything. Maybe you are better off just staying in your room typing away. Close the door behind you. Someone can nail it shut from the outside for you. That way, no one can get in and hurt you, or cheat you, or deceive you with any more lies.

By the way, I think I only saw one typo in the whole thing. If you are looking for a new secretary, I'm available. I could start immediately. We can figure out a fair wage. I can type really fast, take dictation, answer phones, have lunch brought in for you (if they cut a small hole in the door), dust and order supplies. I just don't swallow, but I think no one expects that from secretaries any longer. Monica didn't. Email me, Babe.

andtheendandtheendabout 14 years agoAuthor
Sorry, but I don't trust you

Sorry, but I don't trust you, Yourssincerely (lol). I think you're lying.

Are you CIA (lol)?

Thanks for reading, voting, and commenting on my story. I voted on your story, too, but the way, but didn't leave a comment. Sorry.

TOOLLADYTOOLLADYabout 14 years ago
The Government

I have the same conspiracy theory about Stanley Tools. The government allowed Craftsman to slowly take over their territory until the little guys are squeezed out of the market. Next to go will be SnapOn tools. Someone has to stop them!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 14 years ago
Long winded

Lots and lots of words to say very little. The US government started the global warming hype? I thought it was the environmentalists and that the governments (first in Europe and elsewhere) glommed onto later. In either case, it's more religion than science. Hard to get the data straight when the trackers and reporters have an already strongly help position. Not much neutrality, that's for sure.

Tighten it up and get an editor, you have great potential.

Roger010Roger010about 14 years ago
Better off before deep throat!

It's true. The reason your dick doesn't get hard during blow jobs is your anxiety over the "global warming conspiracy." And because your dick doesn't get hard, you don't go outside. You hide. You live within the XBox. You spend inordanate amouts of your time at porn sites and, for a little relief, at Literotica, where you imagine that the interesting mixup of words in the title suggests that you're not just a pervert, but a "libertine" or "sex positive" dude.

Since you don't go outside, and, if you did, wouldn't trust your own senses, you haven't noticed that weather patterns (between the time you were molested as a child and today, well into your twisted adult-hood) have changed!

What a relief to blame your limp dick on "global warming." And what a Freudian flashbulb to suggest that the problem with a theory of global warming is that " Uncle Sam" is perpetrating a fraud on you. Tell the truth now, did an uncle of yours slide his hand down your pyjamas when you were a kid? Or was it a priest? Or what? Come on, why this denial bullshit?

mBrowmBrowabout 14 years ago
Head-in-the-sand anti-government paranoia

We elect our leaders in the USA and in many other countries on this planet that we share. If you don't like them, elect some more anti-science neanderthal reactionaries. The scientists are in their positions because they studied to gain expertise. The majority of them are convinced of the danger and are sincerely warning us, but many citizens are too stupid or selfish to accept the warnings.

Yes, some ignorant folks believe we can populate and consume without limit (with no concept of math, maybe they're the lottery players, paying the tax on stupidity), but resources are finite and the debate should be about choosing a balance between available resources and sustainable population at a given consumption level or quality of life. Some scientists are telling us that we have already passed the tipping point on several critical environmental criteria. Our descendants will pay the price for our intransigence and/or greed.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 14 years ago
The Reality of Global Warming

Unfortunately, global warming is real. Do I believe in global warming? NO. This is not a belief question. It is scientific reality. Doesn't matter what Al Gore or Fox News says. In 20 years, all of us will be struggling to breathe, 300 more species of animals will be extinct and the weather patterns will have changed drastically. I encourage all of you to read materials from the Union of Concerned Scientists. There are over 16,000 of us. I am a hydrogeologist. This is a real threat. Please read and decide for yourselves.

BenLongBenLongabout 14 years ago
OH MY GOD I'VE DROWNED AND GONE TO NEW MEXICO

I've just discovered that I'm geographically challenged! Here all this time I thought Area 51 was at Groom Lake, Nevada and now I find out it's at Roswell, New Mexico??? My god, how did I miss that dart board on the wall by so many miles??

By the way, for all you that believe in global warming, I'm trying to identify that island nation that has disappeared under the rising sea level. Anybody? And while you're at it, can you tell me where all those multitudes that were displaced went to, or did they all just drown? I haven't quite got it figured, I just can't quite imagine it was ever much of a nation really, I mean even with the tremendous average increase of sea level of 1.8mm per year recorded over the last one hundred years that would be, let's see, that's 254 and two zero's, carry the one... OH MY GOD! It's CALIFORNIA! Sea level has risen to where it's now at....AREA 51 in NEW MEXICO!

Oh Damn, I hate it when I do that. Thank god I double checked before I held my breath for too long. Dang Metric system. Why do they have something illogical and imprecise like 25.4 mm to the inch when there are some correlations that are so much easier like 12 inches to the foot and 5280 feet to the mile?

Great story, I gave you a five also.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 14 years ago

What if the US gov't lied to us about the reasons for the Iraq war? Oh wait, that really did happen. But I bet you don't care about that, do you?

thebulletthebulletabout 14 years ago
so GW was right?

A) GW told us that Iraq has weapons of mass destruction.

B) GW told us that Saddam was working with al Queda in a global conspiracy of terrorists.

C) GW told us that Saddam was actively pursuing the acquisition of nuclear weapons.

D) GW told us that all of the prisoners at Gitmo were terrorists.

E) GW told us that there is no global climate change.

Q: which of the above statements that GW made are true?

A: None of the above.

Our country is in sad shape and it is getting sadder. We have all of these whining anti-government idiots who are asking -no begging- for our country to be turned into a theocratic dictatorship in the interests of their personal freedom.

News item: when the extreme right takes over, kiss your freedoms goodbye. Here will be your marching orders: Go to church. Consume. Go hungry. Die. And shut the fuck up.

andtheendandtheendabout 14 years agoAuthor
You forgot one

You forgot one (lol).

GW told us that the Iraq War was over and we won.

How many years ago, after losing so many more lives, was that?

Yet, GW and Cheney live in splendor, while the rest of us suffer.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 14 years ago
What A Crock Of Shit.

Has the war ended, has obama done anything but throw us in a deeper hole, do you idiots really think socialism is the way to go? When has the goverment running everything been good for the people, yet thats where we are headed. At least G.W. didn't try to silence his critics, yet obama is going after any one that bitches, that should clue you in right there.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 14 years ago
You got my 5 and another 5

Yes, I do believe that we are ruining the planet. I do believe that the goverment is probably using that to their advantage. It probably is a little bit of both. Truth and fiction. that being said, I loved your story and it kept me entertained and it got me thinking. You do a grand job of writing a story.

KoreavetKoreavetabout 14 years ago
Lying science

There have been many disaster predictions in my time - The Population Bomb, The Coming Ice Age, Nuclear Winter and now, man caused climate change.

All of these disasters shared one commonality - the cure was a drastic reduction in freedom of choice and movement, monitored by the governments. The inventor of the coming ice age, and also global warming, Steven Schneider of Stanford, rationalized his record by saying that sometimes scientists had to lie to get their point across. Ehrlich predicted global starvation because he could not imagine the earth feeding the large population of the 80s. What he really demonstrated was that he had no idea how the population was fed at any time.

In the end, they think we all should let wiser folk direct our lives. 50 years ago I was working in air and water pollution control. We were aware of the problem and of most of the solutions. Problems long solved are replayed. The worst consequence of this crap is that we now pay about 4 times as much for energy as we would in a strict cost of production plus profit basis. If a foreign nation did to us what our own enviroswindlers did it would be a cause for war. And the sad truth is, Gaylord to the contrary, the Earth doesn't care.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 14 years ago
Socialism

I'm no socialist, but the majority of the Scandinavian countries are socialist monarchies and they look like they're doing pretty well there. Check out the Transparency Index to see.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 14 years ago
What if Global Climate Instability is Worse than they are telling you?

As likely as scientists lying to you might seem it is far more likely that Politicians and Corporate interests are going to try to keep the status quo by lying to you.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 14 years ago
44 years, and still this question?

It was 1966, I was 14 years old, and I heard about 'Global Warming'. 44 years later, and still I await decisive action; what I see instead is one increment after another of wrong decisions. A lot of what needed/and-still-****[deleted]-needs to be done isn't hard. Energy efficiency in dwellings, buildings, appliances, transport. Eco-friendly ways of dealing with the spaceship Earth that feeds, clothes and waters us. (Etc - this is a comment, not a tome!) Two main points: whilst some scientists can be bought, most scientists do have considerable integrity. This isn't because they're 'good', it's because of the viciousness of peer-review. And a 90%+ majority of ecologists and climatologists agree that the majority of the data points to bad trends; our children and grandchildren will be right to be angry with us, because we were told and did too little, too late. And in those short decades and with my own eyes I've seen changes. I'm a biologist/land-manager by training and experience, and even as a freely admitted 'never did much hard- bleeding-edge research', still I see things that most don't. [Young friend commented: "Going for a walk or even a drive with you is like ... Eco-CSI! Like you're reading a book from yesterday and last week and 100 million years ago, and that's from a leaf and a rock!!"] And I do see it. Species turning up growing well where it used to be too wet for them. Trees dying a century or two before their time. Bogs become meadows become overgrazed, eroding lawns.

I do feel as though it's like the whole planetary population is passengers in a car where the committee driving it says: "you can ignore that sign that says, 'road ends, 100 foot cliff ahead'. At worst, if it looks like it is a cliff, accelerate - and you can definitely all those people in the back screaming, 'stop! Brake!' because they're just passengers." The signs went up over 40 years ago... cliff only closer and higher than we thought.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 14 years ago
Fah.

It's been 12 years of no warming at all. Actually, we've cooled slightly, and one year set the record for biggest DROP from one January to the next. Solar scientists are telling us that the sun is going into a cooler phase. That doesn't mean global warming isn't possible, it just means, since the temperature predictions have consistently been way off-base, that we don't know enough to justify action. Especially action that would cost the world economies enough to feed billions of starving people. And after all, why should we even care about global warming's possible, eventual effects when so many people are going to die tomorrow from far more mundane threats?

And to another commenter, no, the Scandanavian countries are not doing that well. If you look at the long term history of them, and look at the details, you'll see that the "at a glance" picture is misleading at best. Just for one simple example, their unemployment is a lie, because anyone who is unemployed but attending government "job training" is not counted as unemployed, even if they are making no money and haven't worked in years.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 14 years ago

Oh, there's global warming. It happens every spring. Go from bitter cold to bitter hot for us humans. There's also global cooling, happens every autumn. Oh, wait, you were wondering about human's affect on it? Can't be proven. It's gone through an ice age and thaw long before we showed up. Heck, when Mt. Pinatubo erupted in '91, it did more damage to the environment than humans ever did. Ice caps melting? Yeah, they've been doing that for centuries & millenia.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 14 years ago
Of course there is global warming!

No No Laddie -- It is an absoute fact that there IS global warming. And therein lies an interesting tale, of which I will give you highlights below.

About 20,000 years ago a miles thick ice sheet covered North America. I think it was colder then than now.

But 18,000 years later, the Romans conquered England, and grew grapes and made wine near London -- today, you can't grow grapes until you are 300 miles south of London because it is too cold. I think it was warmer then.

On the other hand, in about 600AD (the dark ages ... actually, the cold ages), it was so cold in London that in Winter the Thames froze solid. I think it was colder then, because it doesn't do that now.

But ... in the "Medival Warmiing Period" of about 1200AD, the Vikings colonized Greenland and grew wheat there. Too much ice to do that today, so I think it was warmer then.

But ... a few hundred years later, it got so cold, they couldn't grow wheat any more and they starved -- the remnants evacuated back to Viking territory, and the wheat was replaced by ice.

It was still colder in the 1600s and 1700s (a really cold spell froze a large portion of Napoleon's army attacking Moscow), but then started warming up again.

But In the 1960s, there was some concern that we were back into global cooling, and the ice age would come back (the Time Magazine cover in the late 1950s is priceless).

But by the 1990s, it was so warm on earth that the ice cap on Mars melted .... (must have been those pesky SUVs). Scientists noticed that CO2 was going up, and temperature was going up, and wondered if mankind's coal burning power plants and SUVs were in some way responsible. So they started giving grants to scientists to see if it was true. So far, the politicians have given $90 Billion in grants to scientists to confirm global warming (why would they do that? As my pappy said, follow the money. The politicians wanted this "global warming" figleaf to use as an excuse for passing the "cap and trade" taxes, to extract another 10% of the GDP from citizens to buy votes and bribe 3rd world countries.

So the grant funded climate scientists started analyzing the data from weather stations, and found a gradual increase in temperatures over the past 100 years, and published these conclusions in their "peer reviewed" Journals (reviewed by other scientists who were getting grants to confirm man made global warming -- dissenters not welcome).

Gore went on his world wide tour presenting graphs to show that temperature and CO2 increased together, and it had been so for the past 200,000 years. Of course, he never did really blow up those graphs to show that the temperature rise preceeded the rise in CO2 by about 800 years. That would kinda mess up that causality thing (maybe temperature was psychic, and increased because it knew that CO2 was gonna increase about 800 years later). Or maybe as temperature increased, the ocean temperature increased, and CO2 came out of the ocean .... kinda how carbonation comes out of a soda when it gets warm.

One pesky UK denier was so upset that the "Earth in the Lurch" movie was being shown to UK school children as "true", that he went to court to prohibit its use in schools. A judge listened to the evidence, and allowed the movie to be shown as long as a 4 page list of inaccuracies were presented to the children when they viewed the movie.

The scientists provided evidence that there is warming -- they have data from weather stations in the US for the past 100 years. Their locations were published on a website. When skeptics (i.e., deniers) took pictures of the weather stations in the US, and showed that most of the stations which were in cowfields 100 years ago now resided on black top underneath air conditioning vents, and hence their data was hopelessly contaminated by the "city heat island effect", NOAA responded by removing the locations of the weather stations from their website. After all, they shouldn't confuse the faithful.

When skeptics asked the recipients of the by now $90 billion in grants to see the original data and the code for their models that predicted the world would end in 50 years due to runaway heat ..... they were refused. When the data and models and emails from East Anglia were "hacked" and published to an independent website, and analyzed, it was found that the original data had been hopelessly contaminated.

Instead of demanding that the climate scientists act like scientists (that old repeatable experiment thing), the politicians heaped scorn on the "deniers" ... after all, the "global warming science" was their figleaf behind which they could craft legislation to extract another 10% of the US GDP in the form of "cap and tax".

You want science? here are the numbers.

The 2007 IPCC report states that:

a) it takes 1 trillion tons of CO2 to increase the temperature of the earth by 1 degree F (some reputable physicists disagree with this, but assume it for the purposes of this arguement).

b) all of mankind produced 30 Billion tons of CO2 each year.

So, when the "earth in the lurch" crowd demand that we not allow temperature to increase ... they are advocating that we all become pre-cave men (not even a fire to keep us warm at night) for 33 years so that the temperature of the earth would be reduced by 1 degree F.

Oh, sorry, they only want to slow the growth. So if we all just reduce our "carbon footprint" by 10% (which would cost the average citizen 10% of their paycheck each year), we could all feel righteous and reduce the earth's temperature by 1 degree F within the next 330 years.

Are you willing to reduce your paycheck by 10% for the next 30 years in order to lower the earth's temperature by .01 F 33 years from now?

Didn't think so.

If you want chapter and verse, look at the article in last year's "Australian" by the person responsible for enforcing the Kyoto protocol on Australia for 11 years. He says, among other things, that we thought there was a problem 20 years ago, but after 90 billion dollars funding climate science, there is no evidence that mankind is affecting the climate. None.

I think he is qualified to make a judgement, and he is no longer a true believer in man-caused global warming.

gperry2843gperry2843over 11 years ago
Now aren't you glad you opened this bag of worms?

I am surprised you only had 51 comments so far. I figured I would be spending the next 30 years reading feedback. The other commentators have covered the subject with so much more wisdom and expertise than my poor feeble mind can muster that I should probably stand mute, but having already demonstrated both my lack of intellect and self control I had to add this one thought to the equation. In the 1970's global cooling and the increasing polar icecaps that governments spent out tax dollars covering vast fields of the icecaps coal dust to increase solar absorption, to melt the icecaps and stop global cooling. (just fodder for thought)

gperry2843gperry2843over 11 years ago
Us morons should not be allowed to post.

Just proves that I really need an editor! After editing my last comment 3 times I still missed at least 3 major errors until after I pushed send. The last statement should have read, "In the 1970's, with global cooling and the increasing polar icecaps, our governments spent our tax dollars covering vast fields of the icecaps with coal dust to increase solar absorption, to melt the icecaps and stop global cooling". ( And these bashers have the gall to critic a typo or an occasional minor error. Hell I type with one finger and it still gets ahead of my brain. I can't fathom what a page would look like if I was a touch typist.)

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 11 years ago

Interesting how the pro Global Warming/Climate Change bash your story and attempt to convince you of their opinion/view on the subject while the anti's seem to voice their opinions in a more neutral fashion.

Personally I believe the changes to the climate are a natural cycle and the extintion of species an evolutionary change. Does mankind have an influence upon these things? Yes but not in the manner we're hearing instead in a manner none of us wish to hear. We are over populating the planet and have done our utmost to undermine natures safeguards to prevent such occurances. Our lifespans are constantly increasing, fatal illnesses are cured and the one safeguard that only affects a particular species left is homosexuality. Now I have no qualms about anybody wanting to have a homosexual relationship, by all means enjoy yourselves, my comment is merely directed towards the biological inability to reproduce in order to stop population increase. This too can be, and if the homosexual equality groups have their way, circumvented with artifical insemenation leaving only natural catastrophies and war to decrease what is already comparable to a Tokyo apartment building, sadly. Without reducing our need for finite resources or even so called infinite resources that require years of tending before they become available again, we will bleed this planet dry with or without Global Warming/Climate Change to cook or freeze us. The reasoning this topic isn't approached by democratic governments is for reasons of self preservation, government can only exist and grow if the population grows thereby supplying more new taxpayers to finance the growing government.

Sorry for the late comment but it was something I had to remark to, good thought provoking story even if I'm not one for conspiracy theories.

fanfarefanfarealmost 9 years ago
Don't Worry...Die Happy!

As for the government pushing propaganda? Thanks to the Corporate-Sociialist lobbyists and Fox News stooges of the Wall Street casinos, the right-wing whores in Congress, it will soon make it illegal to commit any liberal activities such as NGO's advocating a preventive response to the accumulating environmental damage.

But hey, the at least the GOP's new Patriot Enforcement laws and regulations will make your life so much easier. Pi will be required to be 3.0000 cause the old way made your head hurt. And all geographic maps will be required to show the sun rising in the west and setting in the east. Just like in the Bible and Koran.

Right-wing racists and reactionaries and secessionists don't need facts! That would be UnManly and UnAmerican. And worst of all, UnProfitable!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 9 years ago
What global warming, or climate change?

I also wanted to know about global warming, or now they use climate change. I did an online search as "climate change hoax". Of the things that came up, I found some excellent You Tube videos of notable people (whose credentials were purely scientific, and not affiliated with lobby interrests) that verified what I believed. I also have a logical thinking, analytical mind, and a strong background in chemistry and physics. Look for videos by Dr. Tim Ball, a Canadian climatologist. He has some excellent explanations for the hoax we're constantly being bombarded with. He exposes the NOAA and NASA claims of climate change.

The big picture gets clearer on climate change, when you also look up information on the U .N.'s "Agenda 21", and the ICLEI, a group whose goals are the same as Agenda 21. Look up "New World Order", and why the One World Trade Center in N.Y. is called One World.

Never in my 70 years have I seen such corruption in governments, not just the U.S., but around the civilized world and not just third world countries. Put search words together, such as Obama, Agenda 21 and see the connections. I find left wing political parties in general, have grabbed hold of the goals of AG21, where right wing parties, provided they are not too far-right, tend to promote private enterprise the way the western world was back in the 50's, 60's and 70's, with the same values and ethics. I have learned that Harvard and MIT are hotbeds of AG21 goal propaganda. So are some of the Canadian universities. And Harvard has a strong, ongoing connection to the Canadian Liberal party, who also promote the goals of AG21, even though they don't openly acknowledge it. When you study it closer, AG21 is primarily a communistic concept similar to the old USSR of 50 years ago.

I like your article/letter. I believe you've hit the nail on the head. Our education systems, and the big media have been dumbing us down for years. We have more gullible people now than ever before. Pi could indeed become 3.000000. It's easy to govern when people don't challenge government. Consensus trumps science, and bullshit baffles brains, in the eyes of the few remaining intellectuals who challenge the new political agendas. Political parties no longer serve the public: they serve themselves in order to stay in power.

Again, good letter/article...........

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 5 years ago
oh, it's real!

All the respectable scientists agree: global warming is real.

There's still, and always will be, fine-tuning of the models going on, so that's why you'll hear exaggerated, sensation-seeking "scientists wrong about climate change" headlines every now and then.

Fact is, it's getting hotter, and alarmingly quickly..

For me, the down-to-earth eye opener was this illustration by XKCD.

https://xkcd.com/1732/ (based on the best temperature data we have for ancient times, from the "year rings" in Arctic ice)

It puts everything into perspective really nicely.

None of of that means that the politicians and big-bucks aren't trying to make money off of it.. just like Halliburton made a fortune in rebuilding Irak after first helping bomb it to pieces: any disaster is an opportunity to those without scruples.

It just means that while everybody is running around thinking about earth and the children, they're running around thinking of themselves..

SheerlookSheerlookover 4 years ago
Things change

On global warming, well if someone can correctly predict the temperatures within 5 degrees correctly for one month, I could believe their long range predictions.

As for all the others, no big conspiracy can survive the axiom of “Three can keep a secret, if two are dead”. So stop worrying about the Moon, 911, etc.

And what the heck is the Weaver family “massacre”? I know about Ruby Ridge, but they were tragic deaths and mistakes made, no doubt. Massacre? Missed that one.

We should take care of the planet, but “man made” warming is the alleged concern. Anybody truly serious about it would be discussing nuclear power. They don’t, so they aren’t. Good essay. 5.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous