All Comments on 'The Trail West Ch. 08'

by woodmanone

Sort by:
  • 64 Comments
woodmanonewoodmanoneover 13 years agoAuthor
Thank you

I've said it before a few times but normally I don't comment here on my own work. This is another exception.

The Trail West has been a departure from my normal tales and for me a rewarding one. I've enjoyed writing this little saga and actually am sorry it's come to the end.

I've spent a lot of time with Josh and Red for a lot of weeks and I'm going to miss them.

To all of the readers who have stayed with this story to the end, THANKS .

I appreciate your interest and the comments that many of you have posted. I know it sounds sort of self serving but I hope you've enjoyed this tale of the Old West as much as I enjoyed writing it.

Thanks again for reading my work.

woodmanone

john1946john1946over 13 years ago
Great

This was one fine piece of work. The folks coming out was a great touch. As always, look forward to more from you.

grammpahx6grammpahx6over 13 years ago
Thanks

I've lost, over the past few years, any eagerness to follow a story. Authors here tend to write a chapter here and there with no real consideration for their audiences enthusiasm toward their stories. Thanks for writing it first, then giving it to us to read from start to finish without it taking months or even years.

You know, you really don't have to say "goodbye" to your characters. There's a long trail ahead of these families. It'd be fun to see what happens over the next decades. The ranches will most certainly expand...or be wiped out...one of the boys might look toward politics. No sense expounding any further cause I know you understand.

Whatever, thanks for a fun story.

AnonymousAnonymousover 13 years ago
just a few words

you've out did yourself sir.stay in this arena.

AllosaurusRexAllosaurusRexover 13 years ago
Thank you for a wonderful story

I love stories about the old west if thay have a bit of romance in them all the better, so if you can give us some more it would be great.

victoriangentvictoriangentover 13 years ago
Sad but true

I think you have written something that displays your talents far above Literotica standards and It is my personal opinion you should find a publisher - quickly. I look forward to published material soon. Best of luck in whatever you do.

sailordblj1966sailordblj1966over 13 years ago
Wonderful Story

This is a wonderful story. It has an outstanding story line and belivable characters. I will be reading this story again in the near future

bruce22bruce22over 13 years ago
Fine Story

This follows the rules for authentic Westerns. The good people are very good and the evil guys are awful. This made a fun tale.

One small suggestion would be if anyone finds themselves with four dead

bodies and no witnesses to testify, taking the bodies into the next town would not be a good idea because the sheriff there might be a relative of one of the recently deceased.....

A lot of fun. Thanks....

GenghisKhanGenghisKhanover 13 years ago
This has been one of the better stories

in the last year or so. Thank you for investing the time creating the story.

Making it a simple life, simple living, with simple and solid characters living a full, rich, and uplifting life --- it's a very well done story... <p>

Life in the 1800s, in an agrerian/farming setting was harsh; but it's also beautiful and fulfilling, since there was little else to keep the people going but hard work, dedication to one another, and trying to make a good and easier life for the children who were to come up to replace the parents, knowing and hoping each successive generation, life gets a bit easier, when technology, education, modern medicine, and other innovations arise to benefit all...

AnonymousAnonymousover 13 years ago
Excellent

I have always enjoyed a good western story, with all its wholesomeness and straight talking. Shows that you don't need graphic sex for a good story.

AnonymousAnonymousover 13 years ago
Superb Writing

This mini series has been superb, and I have voted top marks to all chapters.

It has been a wonderful and enthralling story.

I would have loved to read a follow up, but like all things in life we accept

what the author feels to which point the story must end.

My hearfelt thanks for "The Trail West"

AnonymousAnonymousover 13 years ago
Great read!!

Thank you for sharing such an incredibe story! More and more the quality of work here has been slipping in recent years, with the exception of few authors, and your talent shows you to be an author on the rise. As a grad student in the English department I was thrilled not to see the usual 'your-you're' and 'there-their' errors so common as of late. Your characters are round and have growth and the story as a whole has great verisimilitude; an engaging and highly enjoyed read. Thank you again.

AzPilotAzPilotover 13 years ago
I'm quickly braving the heat and sun to take my hat off to you, sir.

A wonderful job and thank you for the entertainment!

AnonymousAnonymousover 13 years ago
WOW

A great western.but really just a grest tale. THANK YOU

DeckviewDeckviewover 13 years ago
Very nicely done!

Enjoyed your saga very much.

rdd1953rdd1953over 13 years ago
good

as usual you always keep me on the edge of my seat, but it's damn well worth the wait

AnonymousAnonymousover 13 years ago
Great Western in the Classic style

Really good story.

Read just like the Zane Grey or Louie Lamour western stories.

Good job

AnonymousAnonymousover 13 years ago
Awesome

I really love this whole series. Pls. write more like this. So entertaining and sweet...

AnonymousAnonymousabout 13 years ago
Amazing

as usual i hate too see a good story end lol but i had to say this was a well wrote out story. very nice job.

charlie2tcharlie2tabout 13 years ago
Another great series

Well written and very readable. Thank you.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 13 years ago
It's 2 in the Morning

I picked up on your story ... and the advice to read the previous chapters. I did that and it has kept me spellbound for several hours. Thanks for a great read and keep writing.

ChrisLA777@hotmail.com

KELTERISER1172KELTERISER1172almost 13 years ago
well done

just finished reading all 8 chapters - very good credible story

lonewolf3307lonewolf3307almost 13 years ago
Excellent.....

Well, it's doesn't take a rocket scientist to see where your niche in the literary community really is. Simply put, outstanding. I'm going to start on "Winterborn" as soon as finish this comment. Keep up the great work.

GualterioGualterioover 12 years ago
Another excellent entry in your Western series

I am soooo enjoying these. I've read a lot of Westerns in my time. Louis L., Max B., Zane G. etc.

So when I say I really appreciate your Westerns you should know I've read more than a few.

Also, I like the way you worked your trademark ending in this one.

Sadly, I coming to the end of the trail. There are only a few of your stories that I haven't read. I'll soon be looking for new stories from time to time and perhaps going for some second reads like I do with Coaster2, Ohio, DGHear, etc.

hoosier76hoosier76almost 12 years ago
Excellent!!!

This series was so good that I had to keeping until the end. Brought back memories of reading the western books from my childhood. THANK YOU

AnonymousAnonymousabout 11 years ago

What a story!!! Thank you very much and, PLEASE keep writing.

L

AnonymousAnonymousabout 11 years ago
After reading the entire series of stories here.

The stories were fantastic the only problem I have with them is a Media three nights in a row because I couldn't stop reading. Thanks a lot for the stories

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago

wow better the J T Edson do keep on .

thank you so much

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
Please may I have more sir !!

A very good read and it was fun to get caught up in the adventure. Please continue the series and let us grow with your story.

Thank you for your hard work.

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
Outstanding

This story is absolutely outstanding. From the opening line to the last chapter it has been well written and very entertaining. Woodmanone, don't stop writing!!

hornycplinmihornycplinmiabout 9 years ago
great read

I've read 6 of your storys so far and enjoyed every one so far. Keep them comming.

kjohns2001kjohns2001over 8 years ago
Like all the others I hated for it to end

I love this story but I hated for it to end. Perhaps the author could be persuaded to write more about these characters if his fans would beg him to. I don't know but it's worth a shot anyway.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
Need more

Some time in the future I will be reading this all again. I believe that this one was the first But I have read several stories of these people.. is it not possible to put them in an orderly form from start to finish? It would sure be easier to read and for old folks like me with memory problems to keep things together. this is a 10*story and you are a bard of the old west.

Ed Grocott

edgrocott@gmail.com

drmoo2udrmoo2uover 8 years ago
A Rippin' Good Read ...

Truly enjoyed your story ...

AnonymousAnonymousabout 8 years ago
Dunno if I like the

western or the detective stories more ... whatever,you get me into the people and whatever they do. I guess I just like the way you lead me down the trail every time..Thanks again Scotty

PhotoMeisterPhotoMeisterabout 8 years ago
Order of this series

I understand Ed's question below. For him (and me when I also forget!):

1. The Trial West

2. Winterborn

3. The Gathering

4. End of an Era

PhotoMeisterPhotoMeisterabout 8 years ago
Oops! I meant 'trail', not 'trial'.

Oops! I meant 'trail', not 'trial'.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 8 years ago
Once again

I have read all of the trail series. I have not commented Until now but I did vote again, i will let you guess at the score.I am in the middle of reading all your stories without comment but with vote. Thank you photomeister for the proper layout I will print that and hang it on my wall.

Ed Grocott

edgrocott@gmail.com

Freddog6601Freddog6601over 7 years ago
Excellent read

I'm just now starting into your works. Thoroughly enjoyed the story. Good character development, nice environmental placement and exciting action along with well written love scenes.

Thanks for an entertaining read.

rightbankrightbankover 7 years ago
very good series

sorry it is over.

sometimes the unintentional gaffs are the best. there are so many different ways this wonderful sentence can be read.

"Dang, it's good to see your but y'all gonna get covered in dust back here."

was that supposed to be you, not your?

or should it have been but with two t's?

pumpop201pumpop201over 7 years ago
Zane Grey......

Zane grey has nothing on you. What a wonderful story.

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
Masterful

A welcome respite from the rest of Lit. Thank you.

jake2025jake2025over 6 years ago
More

Read your trilogy 3 times. Will do it again. Keep writing.

Firmhands5Firmhands5almost 6 years ago
What a great series

Certainly a well crafted novel - great reading and researched! A joy to read with all the flavor of the West!

Thank you so much!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 6 years ago
You hornery son of a bitch.....

You brought tears to my eyes with this last chapter. Thanks, tony.barneslrb@gmail.com

IntruderjamesIntruderjamesover 5 years ago
Thanks

Great story.. had tears at the end myself too... thank you

ByebibothByebibothover 5 years ago
Loved this BUT

Why did you have to name the bad guy after one of my heroes, John Fogerty. I had a hard time thinking of him as the bad guy. Loved the story and thought the characterisation was spot on.

oldpoet451oldpoet451almost 5 years ago
Excellent!

First Class writing. Great story. Reminds me of the writing of the late, great Louis L'Amour.

PhotoMeisterPhotoMeisteralmost 4 years ago
We can buy the whole series on Amazon

Folks,

You can buy the whole series, as one book, on Amazon for just a couple of bucks.

That's:

1. The Trail West

2. Winterborn

3. The Gathering

4. End of an Era

This is a good chance to support Woody and have all of this wonderful story in one place. It's under Woody Leach, title is 'The Trail West'.

And, no, he didn't ask me to post this!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
I have one problem.

You keep talking about corn mash being better than oats. The feed corn to animals to fatten them for market. Oats has the highest protein of the grains and is what working animals need.

muskyboymuskyboyover 2 years ago

Pretty much the perfect cowboy story.. Thank you

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Very good but some reality of the times and the west. 640 acres is not a “ranch” in that time and place, it’s a corral. 3-5000 acres and 1500 cattle not 50-100 are the numbers. Yes many places were several times that size out there. 640 acres in Missouri or Iowa would be large.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

I really enjoyed this story. Reminded me of an Elmore Leonard western and that is high praise. Thank you so much.

PurplefizzPurplefizzalmost 2 years ago

Great story, a quick moving narrative, realistic, well drawn characters and that ever important happy ending, definitely a five star story. Re the anonymous comment about ranch size, I suggest you go back and read it properly, the wording was “640 hundred acres”, that’s 6400 acres, or over 10 square miles in modern terminology. Get your facts straight before commenting negatively.

Many thanks for writing and posting, cheers Ppfzz.

Wildwood55Wildwood55almost 2 years ago

Re: anon - '640 acres' & purplefizz

Neither one of you are correct in your size/terminology, nor is Woodmanone.

'Hundred acres' is a not a size term for land, other than it designating quantity in the same way as anything else, ie: twelve hundred head of stock. The term does extend beyond 19 hundred, but skips 20. 30, 40.

You don't hear anyone refer to 30 hundred anything; three thousand would be used.

In land, there is a term for a larger parcel of land than an acre. It is a section. A section of land is 640 acres. Portions of section, as in half- or quarter-sections is also used.

So, the term Woodmanone was searching for to describe the size of the CRC would be 100 sections, which would be equal to 64,000 acres.

Good cow poke tale, overall.

DarknsDarknsalmost 2 years ago

Loved the story and love westerns. Thank you for a very enjoyable reading experience.

xhristianjxhristianjover 1 year ago

What cracked me up with the lead character was his perpetual struggle with his own morality over the reality of the West. That an 18yr old Man would be so upset over killing Outlaws or Indians is simply realistic. The whole inserting modem sensibilities into a period novel is just annoying. And making your Hero cry his eyes out over every fucking death simply reduces him as a character and distracts from the entire narrative.

Horseman68Horseman68over 1 year ago

Truly exceptional.

DrtywrdsmithDrtywrdsmithabout 1 year ago

Wow! You’re one hell of a story teller! ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

OU8ME2ICOU8ME2IC12 months ago

what a phenomenal story. I feel it’s one of the best here on Lit. I look forward to reading your other stories on Lit. and via Kindle. (Under the name “Woody Leach”) Thank you for sharing your gift of writing.

linnearlinnear11 months ago

You sir are a great storyteller. I waited to comment on this series and it was just remarkable, thank you for sharing your talent with us.

dirtyoldbimandirtyoldbiman4 months ago

good western saga. just thought that writer treated Josh and especially Jerry as much too immature and far younger than their real age. In the old West, even any Country, a "Boy" of 14 was virtually and adult male, 16 and up were adults.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 months ago

Man, you put tears in my eyes. I grew up with people you depict here. I was born in '47 and the country through the 70's was a kinder, gentler and more civilized place. Today it's approaching "Escape from NYC".

Folks today live in morally degenerate and hate filled country. God, but hoe I hate the 21st Century.

A million thank you's for this and your other stories!

HeypossumHeypossum15 days ago

A great read thank you

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userwoodmanone@woodmanone
2287 Followers
I believe age and cunning will overcome youth and enthusiasm every time. Being some what of an egomaniac I believe my stories are very interesting. Only the readers can verify or disprove that premise. Several of my stories are based on my own experience or most have a little ...

READ MORE OF THIS SERIES

SIMILAR Stories