All Comments on 'Charity Begins Next Door'

by Tx Tall Tales

Sort by:
  • 1,496 Comments
OldStormyOldStormyover 13 years ago
So Transparent

but I couldn't stop reading it. An absolutely lovely little Christmas tale. You will probably draw the crabs from the 'Anonymous' critics but who gives a rats arse what they think. I better have a look at your other stories now to see if this was a 'one off' or just a taste of your excellence. Thanks and have a wonderful Christmas.

AnonymousAnonymousover 13 years ago
I Agree...

I was bit aprehensive about ur changing of genre.. and the story was predictable in the very beginnig.. but, nonetheless, it was a very good read and a commendable effort.. the emotional stuff was gud and the angry sex was realistic..

kudos..

~Gary Andrews (garyandrewsbodyguard@yahoo.com)

AnonymousAnonymousover 13 years ago
Thanks

I'm not sure if you've had experience of this sort, but your descriptions of emotions and actions are vert apt. I was positve that I would not read a story like this on this site but I am glad I did .

AllosaurusRexAllosaurusRexover 13 years ago
Worth 10 star's

Sad that I can only give it 5

clive_iluvnycclive_iluvnycover 13 years ago
Predictable and wonderful

Thanx for this story. Wonderfully written.

AnonymousAnonymousover 13 years ago
Thank You

You gave me the gift of this story, I love having my heart strings pulled.

annanovaannanovaover 13 years ago
**sniffle**

Beautiful story. I freely admit that I'm an emotional sap, still, I've only read one other story on Lit that made my cry like this one did. It was nice to read something a little softer from you. Saying this is softer should take nothing from your abilities - the scenes and characters were clearly drawn and able to draw deep sympathy from readers.

BigJohn601BigJohn601over 13 years ago
Your Best Story Yet and one of the Best I've Read!!!!!!

This Christmas story has it all. It is a reminder to us all of the often unfairness of life and the hope than we can make anything better if we can get off our asses. It touched a nerve within me as I and many others have had our lives torn assunder in the past. Merry Christmas to all and remember that giving is the best gift you will ever receive.

AnonymousAnonymousover 13 years ago
Thank You

I thought my comments would be a bit unusual, but I see they are not. I read the story from the new stories index, and had no real expectations. It IS Corny and Wholesome and a lot of things that not supposed to be present in ART but I loved it. Its nice to feel real emotions coming from print. I thank you and I will be reading its descendents.

Greg

blue5766blue5766over 13 years ago
So sad but wonderful

What a brilliant story. First story to bring me to tears. (Very embarrasing as reading it on a mobile) I wish I could give it more than 5 but a 5 it is. Thank you for such a wonderful story that completely ruled my life for a short while.

Thank you

Merry xmas

GentleVikingGentleVikingover 13 years ago
What a beautiful story

Absolutely loved it.

I thought MugsyB was going to win this years competition but I think you have gone straight to the top of the leader board.

AnonymousAnonymousover 13 years ago
I've been waiting....

I've watched patiently thinking there was a dry spell for a while. This was one of the best you've written. Now I know the reason for the wait the project behind it. Thanks for this story at this time of year.

TXanyTXanyover 13 years ago
A "6"

Can't officially score it a six, but it is the best one I have read on Literotica, so it is a 6!

AnonymousAnonymousover 13 years ago
winner, winner

If this story doesn't win the holiday contest, they ought to quit doing it. Best story I've read here in quite awhile.

Rob ConnerRob Connerover 13 years ago
*I AGREE! At Least a "6" maybe a 7 or 8!!

One of the best Christmas tales I've read in a while! GOOD JOB!!

AnonymousAnonymousover 13 years ago

Loved it!

AnonymousAnonymousover 13 years ago
great

great

AnonymousAnonymousover 13 years ago
Great Story!

What a great story you wrote! Please write another one soon!

john1946john1946over 13 years ago
Merry Christmas

What a great story and very well told. Brought a lot of emotion.

Privates1stClassPrivates1stClassover 13 years ago
A well-told story

Enjoyed your Christmas story immensely.

AnonymousAnonymousover 13 years ago
One of the best

I must be a cry baby, cause this story just seem to bring out the tears.

shaman43shaman43over 13 years ago
Just wow.

Well done. The characters were well done. The plot flowed from the characters not the other way around. Reader had to really care about the characters. Tears and great joy. Thank you.

AnonymousAnonymousover 13 years ago
Fabulous

Thank You

RehnquistRehnquistover 13 years ago
You are truly The Master

There are many excellent authors on this site. Authors we all look forward to reading every time a new story pops up. You, though, are in a class by yourself, as evidenced by this incredible story. I laughed, I cried (you shithead; men shouldn't cry unless we're being turned down!), and I finished the story feeling better about life in general than when I started reading your newest tome.

Thus, while there may be many excellent authors in this site, you, my friend, are the True Master, the Cream of the Crop.

Keep up the FRIGGIN' OUTSTANDING work!!!

And Merry Christmas!

AnonymousAnonymousover 13 years ago
Well Written Story

I seldom, if ever, leave comments on the stories that are published, but your story was as well written as any that I have read. The characters were consistent and the story line tight and believable. Kudos for a job well done.

SqueezeplaySqueezeplayover 13 years ago
Thank you!

This is what the Holiday Story Contest is all about. Superb! I wish I could give it six stars.

AnonymousAnonymousover 13 years ago
wonderful

i cried from page one all the way to page five. and just as your characters went from sad to happy so did my tears. great job and truley worth the 5 i scored it

vietvetvietvetover 13 years ago
I'm with Renquist:

If you can believe a crusty old Viet Nam vet bawling like a little girl then you will know the effect of your story upon me.

A great read and look forward to many more.

MERRY CHRISTMAS.

Tom

northlandernorthlanderover 13 years ago
A Super Story

Thanks for a great Christmas Tale. From the depths of sorrow and anguish, to the heights of happiness. This is the first of your stories I have read, but it certainly won't be the last

LancerInLALancerInLAover 13 years ago
So very touching

This is just the second story that has brought me to tears in the last few years. So good in so many ways. The highest praise.

Thank You

AnonymousAnonymousover 13 years ago
Great story

Superb crafting of a story line that is difficult, at best, to write. Great job and written with heart....

AnonymousAnonymousover 13 years ago
6

Wish I could give you six stars for this one.....thanks.

SonicboomSonicboomover 13 years ago
Wow

Did not expect to be moved as much by a story on this website. Wonderful writing. Well done. Glad to see others feel the same.

AnonymousAnonymousover 13 years ago
Heart felt story

Very nice writing job tear jerker it was sorrow to happiness without forgetting the reasons for it all. ((--Excellent--))

AnonymousAnonymousover 13 years ago

One of the best stories I've read in a long time! I hope it wasn't written based upon a factual account. Merry Christmas.

livnthechilifelivnthechilifeover 13 years ago
No words...

There are just no words...will stop crying now. My heart is lighter since my recent loss. You're story has helped at a time when I wondered how I will get through X-mas. Bless you.

AnonymousAnonymousover 13 years ago

A bit long for a coffee break, but well worth the effort. Predictable. Very good descriptive phrases. Keep them coming

AnonymousAnonymousover 13 years ago
Wow

best short story I have read in a long time. Thank you for sharing it.

AnonymousAnonymousover 13 years ago
Wow

wow-I too did not expect such a lovely story on this site-you need to write more. I cried several times. Thank You for this story-I sure hope it was not based on real life!

KirkelKirkelover 13 years ago
Like a baby...

I blubbered like a baby. Took a few minutes between patients and had a hard time stopping and going back to responsibility and people...especially with tear stains down my cheeks. Finally got to finish it and yes, as said before, you're the master.

Thanks for a truly wonderful story.

Rob

sailordblj1966sailordblj1966over 13 years ago
Damn

If that didn't pull the heart strings then they really are a scrooge. A wonderful and fabulous story for Christmas. Keep up the great work

AnonymousAnonymousover 13 years ago
AMAZING

I cried and cried and then smiled and loved the entire story. Your writing was amazing and it flowed wonderfully. Great job!!

AnonymousAnonymousover 13 years ago
So It's a Tear-Jerker

So what? Really good, believable, good characterization, good hot sex (a little too athletic, but it works). C. S. Lewis said when his wife died that the worst thing was that people kept talking--they could be there, just not talk. Your characters' pain was real, and I felt it too--plenty of tears.

woodmanonewoodmanoneover 13 years ago
Thank You

for a great story. Hope to read more from you.

oldwayneoldwayneover 13 years ago
Five Stars seems inadequate.

There are not enough superlatives in our language to adequately describe what I really thought of this story. It evoked more emotions than a Hank Williams Song; and young fellow that is high complement indeed!

mindwandermindwanderover 13 years ago
Two thumbs up!

I was taken off guard as I absorbed the words. Wonderfully written. I love how you made this work. I look forward to reading more of your work.

Mandy01Mandy01over 13 years ago
Omg, I have never felt so torn in my life.

Thank you for giving me the ride of a lifetime. I did make a mistake by deciding to read this marvellous piece at work...don't worry I have my perks, an office manager. The problem I had was when someone came into my office and saw me crying, actually bawling, they thought I had got some terrible news.

I showed them what I was reading and before long, I had streams of workers clamouring to know why there was now two of us in tears.

After consulting with the boss, I sent out an inter-office memo with the story’s URL. You guessed it, the whole office was brought to a standstill. The boss has given everyone the rest of the day off with pay; can you believe that?

He’s certainly no scrooge, but tried to make out he was by saying that he wanted to go home himself, and didn’t trust us not to rob him blind...The bugger goes to golf anytime he wants and now he’s worried...lol

From myself and the staff of our office here, we would like to thank you and yours for a wonderful Christmas story, and wish everyone a Merry Christmas and a happy holiday season.

Amanda

AnonymousAnonymousover 13 years ago
Thank you

Your story touched me deeply. To lose so much all at once, unspeakable saddness. To allow someone to help is very difficult. I'm glad you found a way for them to help each other. Thanks again.

zoetonderdanigzoetonderdanigover 13 years ago
amazing

This was by far the most emotional story i have read. Well done!!

OldHidekiOldHidekiover 13 years ago
Please!

Keep writing! This is one of the best stories I have read on Literotica.

extemporeextemporeover 13 years ago
Wonderful!

You write about something that every parent fears far more than his or her own death, and you did it very well.

It's not exactly what most of us expect when we start to read stories on this site. After one has been on the site for a while, you start to run into gems like this.

Thank you

AnonymousAnonymousover 13 years ago
Outstanding work!

Excellent in every way! Very believable characters, great progression to the story, and a very powerful, positive message! I'd give you a six as well!!!

I found one small error that I wanted to point out. Near the bottom of page 2, there is a "Don't overdue it!" It has absolutely no bearing on the quality of your story, but you should fix it if you can!

WistfulSeniorWistfulSeniorover 13 years ago

I absolutely loved your story. The emotional highs and lows, the caring for each other, the way you brought both families through their tragedy are all exceptionally well done. I just could not stop reading until it was complete. Well done indeed.

AnonymousAnonymousover 13 years ago

I laughed, I cried and I got turned on... not a lot of stories I can say that about! Enjoyed it immensely.

AnonymousAnonymousover 13 years ago

I have teared up over stories but I have never flat out cried. This one made me ball like a baby. The two people (three really) who were brought together by one caring neighbor and shared grief just gut-wrenching. And I love the happy ending. I have never read a more perfect story on here. Thank you for sharing it with us.

AnonymousAnonymousover 13 years ago
Brilliant

It took me five attempts before I was able to finish reading your story, 'cos I kept tearing up.

Excellent.

Keep writing!

AnonymousAnonymousover 13 years ago
Tex....

Having been a fan of Literotica for over 10 years, yours is absolutely the best. Ever. Period. Just like the reader before me, there should be a "6" rating to vote for you.

Thank you for the silver lining in the face of such tragic circumstances. Life is a roller coaster ride.

I, too, must say I had to stop to wipe away tears. Even as a strong, sometimes too proud man, I was not ashamed in the least to openly sob at both the sadness and eventual happiness of all the characters.

Is there a touch of truth to this story?

Merry Christmas. May yours be a healthy, happy holiday.

AnonymousAnonymousover 13 years ago
I Thought I was over the passing of my wife

I lost my wife of 20 years to cancer 10 years ago and I still think of her every day. I used to talk to her for much of these 10 years and I still thank her for all the wonderful memories she brought into my life when we were together. After grief counseling and the support of my many friends and family, I thought I could function daily without tearing up and crying but after reading this wonderful story, my tears started flowing again. As I read this, it is about 2 weeks before Christmas and I realize that I am not the only one suffering in silence because of the loss of a loved one. And even though it's still several weeks before Jan 1, I am making my new year's resolution early: I will live life like my wife would have wanted me to and to appreciate every day that we have been given because no one knows when our life will end. God Bless You for a wonderful story.

AnonymousAnonymousover 13 years ago
great and touching story

What a great story, I concur with some of the other comments, that your stories are always well written. I lost both of my parents this past year and it made me think of all the things that they had done for my sister and I over the years.

Hope you and yours have a great holiday season.

AnonymousAnonymousover 13 years ago

WOW!

larryd22larryd22over 13 years ago
Tugged At My Heart Strings

I lost my wife to cancer on Holloween morning last year, 2 months before our 49th wedding anniversary. New Years Day 2011 would have been our 50th anniversary. I also teared up a number of times while reading the story and had to pause. This was an excellent work of art. Thank You.

AnonymousAnonymousover 13 years ago

Excellent story!

<P>

It just happened that I realized how much dust had accumulated in my office. It kept on getting in my eyes.

<P>

Who am I kidding? You had me blubbering like an idiot!.

<P>

Thanks

<P>

Damned dust!

AnonymousAnonymousover 13 years ago
Time....

Well written and depicts the truth about life to a tee. Time heals all wounds, scars remain but something always comes by to heal the wounds. If we let those chances in instead of locking them out and ourselves in.

Lessons to be learnt too from your tale... wont call it a story since its more real than a make belief even if the time frames are a little squeezed but all the same, Kuddos! Well written.

Eric_ShiftEric_Shiftover 13 years ago
I hate you, You made me cry, TWICE.

Seriously, this was so good.

Twice my niece caught me crying, and asked what was wrong.

This would be an assume Hallmark movie script.

AnonymousAnonymousover 13 years ago

What a super, well written, well told story. Almost had me tearing up.

AnonymousAnonymousover 13 years ago
Just awesome!!!

This is just amazing and you should seriously consider embelleshing it to a bigger full story for general public (I mean G rated). I wonder if you've suffered any personal losses. I've and I know that it's very hard for someone to describe what you did without having to go through it. Imagination usually doesn't make up for the real experience when it comes to loss of a child. Losing parents, even a spouse are thinkable experiences. But, loss of a child, one you dot on, is an unimaginable feeling, known only to the unlucky ones who have gone through them. I wish no one had to, though.

Once again, this is a very well written and an excellent story. Kudos!

hopkinscmhopkinscmover 13 years ago
What a nice...

But terribly sad read!! Good job on the emotional part of the story. My only gripe is that the story needs a bit of proof reading, a few mistakes but nothing major. Good job keep on writing!

Tx Tall TalesTx Tall Talesover 13 years agoAuthor
Thanks for all your wonderful comments

I never expected this story to touch so many people. Even though it has one of my lowest 'reads' it has a crazy high number of votes and comments, and believe me when I tell you, those comments really are important. I write for two people - myself, and those who care enough to let me know what they think. Thank you.

@ annanova - Thanks for your effort to comment on my stories, I always look forward to them. You're right. This was a change of pace for me, and I even had a disclaimer about that at the beginning, but it pushed the last two sentences onto a 6th page! I have a long story that's percolating away in my files that is a little 'softer' as well, but it's a long way from being done.

@ clive_iluvnyc and others commenting on predictability. True. I confess. Lots of stage setting and foreshadowing and predictability. No O'Henry last minute surprises. I just wanted to tell a little story about loss and helping others. I'm glad to see so many relating to the story.

@ GentleViking - Just be mentioned in the same breath as MugsyB is a nice compliment. I've learned to accept that although I may be becoming a better storyteller, there are many better writers on this site. MugsyB is one of them. (Although all hockey all the time is not for me)

@ Rehnquist - Thanks but you embarrass me. I always appreciate kind words from good writers - it's the ultimate validation. I will say I've learned a lot about writing for this audience, with many comments and emails providing valuable insight into the process.

@ Vietvet and other manly men (as I would consider myself) who were effected by this story. A confession. VERY hard to edit, because even after writing it, rewriting it and editing it many times, I still found myself get caught up in the personal emotions, and can't seem to finish the story without choking up myself.

@ Mandy01 - 0.0 - Wow, what a beautiful comment, and story. Almost enough of a plot bunny to make me want to write a story just about your experience. Thank you, Amanda, for making my Christmas a little merrier, all the way from Australia.

To those who have suffered deep losses, your comments are very heart warming, and I thank you for sharing.

I never expected this story to touch so many people. Even though it has one of my lowest 'reads' it has a crazy high number of votes and comments, and believe me when I tell you, those comments really are important. I write for two people - myself, and those who care enough to let me know what they think. Thank you.

AnonymousAnonymousover 13 years ago
Not enough words to do this story justice... Marvelous..

Its too bad the scoring does'nt go up to 10 for this work....Thanks.

AnonymousAnonymousover 13 years ago
Top read

Was taken from low to high with evry paragraph

Exelent work

AnonymousAnonymousover 13 years ago
Very nice.

Sad and depressing to read in the beginning, but in the end a nice reminder that life goes on, and that some times the Universe has a way of making things right and restoring the balance of Nature.

Thanks for a poignent Christmas story with just enough spice to be satisfying.

wrc264wrc264over 13 years ago
Unbeleavable

Not only good sex but a truly great story. Had me crying and moaning all at the same time.

amber1312amber1312over 13 years ago
goodness me

its been a long time since a story has tugged at my heartstrings like this one did, a whole box of kleenex later and im wiped out, Wow

it made me stop and think about just how shallow the whole commercial christmas has become and how other people who have no one must feel at this time of year.

thank you for a wonderful story, merry yuletide to you.

AnonymousAnonymousover 13 years ago
dammit

The tears were making it tough to finish the story.

Cobbler1023Cobbler1023over 13 years ago
Great story

Well written. Great read. Thanks for sharing it.

The Cobbler

dinkymacdinkymacover 13 years ago
Super!!

A really good story! Thanks!

AnonymousAnonymousover 13 years ago
my vote for best

If this one does not win, I will kick some one's ass !!

AnonymousAnonymousover 13 years ago

I really liked this story... I watch alot of movies on lifetime and this reminds me of something I would see on there... Well not the sex but you catch my grift, Just something to think about. Keep up the good work.

AnonymousAnonymousover 13 years ago
As much as I am a fan of epilogues...

As much as I am a fan of epilogues... I don't think this story needed it. And as so many others have noted, the cathartic sex was wonderfully raw and emotional. Love your stuff and yes, it's a five.

Scorpio44Scorpio44over 13 years ago
Well Done

There are hard memories around Christmas for me too. This story helped, this year. I'll attempt to remember to re-read it again in a year. Thank you. Ample proof that when painful things happen there are possibilities on the other side.

Thank you.

Tx Tall TalesTx Tall Talesover 13 years agoAuthor
About winning the contest

Just a reminder to all of those who so generously say I should win the contest. I'm not eligible for this one. You can only be a winner in a contest once in 6 months. My Halloween story "Football Bet FTW!" was a winner so I'm ineligible until May.

Thanks for the kind thoughts anyway. I'm happy enough to write a well accepted story even without the chance to win. Although, given my druthers, I'd rather this story had the light-blue "W" next to it, instead of my football story, which was a fun, cute story, but, in my own opinion, not as good as this one.

Of course I may just be saying that because writing this one was like pulling my own teeth, and took me weeks to finish, while the Football Bet FTW was written in one day.

Boxlicker101Boxlicker101over 13 years ago
Really Good

I am a sucker for happy endings, and this was a good example, even though it hasn't really ended yet. The sex seemed rather rough but, as somebody else said, it was cathartic.

AnonymousAnonymousover 13 years ago
Excellent!

Excellent Story.The best I've read this year.

AnonymousAnonymousover 13 years ago

Great ending to a sad story.

AnonymousAnonymousover 13 years ago
wow... just wow

This was the first story i actually teared up to and felt really strong emotions. The ending was the best, i can just imagine the little girls happiness. I'm at a complete loss for words as to what else to say, other than wow. This gets a solid 5/5

Keep it up mate. you're a great writer

AnonymousAnonymousover 13 years ago
Thank you!!!

Thank you for a wonderful, wonderful story that actually made me cry more than once. Keep up the great writing.

Odd_One_OutOdd_One_Outover 13 years ago
Beautiful

As some one that has struggled with depression and suicidal thoughts for years I just want to say thank you. It is stories like this that prove there is always hope and a reason to keep on living. Merry Christmas to all.

AnonymousAnonymousover 13 years ago
Kudos and accolades to you for such an excellent tale!

You never know where an outstanding story will appear and this one is a super holiday present for Literotica enthusiasts!

Charity has my vote as this season's best.

Please keep writing.

AnonymousAnonymousover 13 years ago
Great Story

Great job with good theme, etc.

AnonymousAnonymousover 13 years ago
The Perfect Christmas Gift

Thanks - great story, interesting characters. An all around winner. If you make me cry again, I won't be able to tell if I'm voting a 5 or a 1! Just kidding - a 5 all the way. Too bad they don't have 6's.

AnonymousAnonymousover 13 years ago
GREAT STORY

GREAT JOB

KAIJFKAIJFover 13 years ago
Outstanding!

I do mean this story stands out from most of the stories here. Intensely!

An excellent premise, real problems sensitively handled. Thanks!

AnonymousAnonymousover 13 years ago
Very Sweet

& touching. Well done.

AnonymousAnonymousover 13 years ago
Beautiful!

I cried, I laughed and I cried happy tears. Your story reminded me that Christmas is family, not just those of blood, but also those of the heart. Thank you for a wonderful story so well told.

AnonymousAnonymousover 13 years ago
I truely loved it.

What a beautiful story. Thank you for sharing it.

AnonymousAnonymousover 13 years ago
Nicely done

I Could not keep the tears from running...

AnonymousAnonymousover 13 years ago
wow

very heartfelt and genuine. a powerful testament to the healing power of love, that even at our lowest point we can still find redemption.

DanielQSteele1DanielQSteele1over 13 years ago
Great Story

This, I think, is the first of your stories I've read. A truly good story. Grief and hope, tragedy and literal rebirth. I don't think it could be better.

DQS1

AnonymousAnonymousover 13 years ago
THANK YOU

BEST STORY IVE READ HERE WAS LOOKING FOR IROTICA FOUND A STORY OF THE CHRISTMAS SPIRIT ON CHRISTMAS EVE 2010 THANK YOU VERY MUCH

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userTx Tall Tales@Tx Tall Tales
20295 Followers
The only thing constant is change. A new State, a new City, a new Job, and new Stories (coming soon).

SIMILAR Stories