All Comments on 'The watchmaker's hands'

by Liar

Sort by:
  • 8 Comments
AngelineAngelineabout 13 years ago
A Grimm fairytale gone mad!

I had to read this a few times to get what was really happening. I like the contrast of such a dark tale set in a rather mundane scene and childlike voice (which is why those fairytales work, too, I guess). I also like that it's a sort of dramatic narrative that reveals this awful story in little details as it unfolds. And I like the ending because it's quixotic and abstract set against the stolid details that precede it. Still I feel it needs more poetic imagery to make it transcendent, but maybe that would work against the tone. One nitpick: I think "stronger" doesn't work so well with "motion." Maybe something like "faster/motion" would be a better parallel to "louder/sound." Overall though I sense you are writing outside your comfort zone, your typical "Liar" voice I've come to expect, and that, imo, is always a good thing because it leads to growth.

GuiltyPleasureGuiltyPleasureabout 13 years ago
Different views....

Ange saw Grimm brothers, I see Poe. Woven and rewoven back on itself it's full of mystery and foreboding. I was left wondering if "springs", "cogs" and "the shovel" are symbols or euphamisms. Sphinx-like to the point of obscurity but still worth reading, there's a smile hidden in all the gloom.

Tess

vrosej10vrosej10about 13 years ago
I got a dude with parkinson's...

Maybe that's just me cause I got a chronic tremor. Weird fairytale imagery but I liked it. This poems a puzzler to me. It seems that you are uneasy writing this. Maybe you were going for making the reader uneasy and it backfired? You walk that fine line between sentimentality and maudlin and manage not to fall over, so kudo for that. You're getting a recommend.

buttersbuttersabout 13 years ago
added to favourites

such a quiet man. the acceptance here is beautiful. i see no mystery, just a man who accepts he's no longer able to make the world of minutiae obey his will and so, instead, finds joy in tinkering in his plot of land, finding beauty in the non-mechanical ...

SeattleRainSeattleRainabout 13 years ago
sound

You have always had a way with sounds in your poetry, the mechanical repetition in the early stanzas that mimic the motion of the watch and the twitch of the hands. I would have liked to see more of a motion to organic sounds and rhythms as he moves into the world of forgiving flowers, something soft, flowing? Maybe that is just the romantic in me :) Well done, so good to read you again

AnonymousAnonymousabout 13 years ago
*****

Shouldn't it be rosewood, not 'rose wood'?

Typo with 'twitched'.

Easily a five.

greenmountaineergreenmountaineerabout 13 years ago

I read this several times, which I hope you take as a compliment. I keyed on the word fractal, and I thought it pertained to the precisely shaped components of the watch, on the one hand, and the shapes in nature suggesting not only beauty, but perhaps a far greater precision and design.

Of course, we all have a tendency to read our own biases into a poem, and I happen to be one who is in awe of both the beauty and the wonderful mysterious design of the universe.

theognistheognisabout 13 years ago
*****

The anonymous five was mine.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous