All Comments on 'Heroes Don't Always Win'

by CarterCounty

Sort by:
  • 48 Comments
BigJohn601BigJohn601about 13 years ago
Good and well written story......

I enjoyed the story and hope to read more of your postings...

AnonymousAnonymousabout 13 years ago
More like real life

That's a more likely reaction under the circumstances than the usual Hollywood style script.

Nicely done!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 13 years ago
Wonderful Story!

Really have enjoyed each of your submissions. This one was probably the best so far. Keep up the Great work!

chytownchytownabout 13 years ago
CarterCounty!!!!!!!

With stories like this I think I'll visit often!!!!! (Great Read) Thank You!

calibeachgirlcalibeachgirlabout 13 years ago
wonderful!

This was wonderful...

bruce22bruce22about 13 years ago
Very Real and Insightful

Carol, both of the first two, were very close to truly human reactions. Patrolman Carol would be the only one who would not be wondering if he had an evil streak in him. Really good work. Thanks!

estragonestragonabout 13 years ago
Good and True

and if it isn't true it should be. I really liked the characters. Carter, you can write; all you need is a tiny copy edit on this story, and it's perfect. A real feel-good story.

OldHidekiOldHidekiabout 13 years ago
An unfortunate taste of reality.

I understand, even if it was in self defence, and that he had saved her life, that the memories of that night would haunt her. In order to save her life, he tarnished himself. Thank You, and please keep writing.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 13 years ago
5 stars for the lack of a saccharine happy-ending.

Maybe some sex next time too?

killerwhale681killerwhale681about 13 years ago
A whiff of real life

In this tale of the three "Carols", one was a flake, one couldn't handle homicide, and the third was the prize. Most stories in the LW category don't belong in our universe, but this one felt real. The second Carol was an abused woman who actually still loved her ex. She was willing to let him continue beating her, until it was pointed out that Eric was a real danger to the kids. I hate to say it, but I've seen such self- destructive behavior before, and the woman usually gets beaten to death.

So, I gave it a "5". Thanks for the dose of reality, and keep it up!

RePhilRePhilabout 13 years ago
WRITE MORE STORIES

Great style and I very much appreciate the wronged in your stories don't turn into wimps or wusses (is that the plural of Wuss or is it wussies)

AnonymousAnonymousabout 13 years ago
Needed more of an "edge"

This was technically well written, but it needed some more interesting plot elements. And a couple of details bothered me: 1) how could the ex-wife possibly have a "signed and notarized divorce decree" without the husband knowing she had filed for divorce? (she couldn't, no court would allow it); and 2) supposedly a paternity test was performed during the 12th week of pregnancy. No physician would perform amniocentesis on a woman (which always involves some risk to the fetus) merely to permit a paternity test. And if the husband didn't trust her enough to marry her without the test (or at least support her until the baby was born), then I doubt they would marry, anyway. But keep trying.

hawkeye0007hawkeye0007about 13 years ago
disturbed...

He was better off without the woman the hero saved. She had some serious mental issues. He was lucky when she decided to end the relationship.

norcal62norcal62almost 13 years ago
Three Carols is too many Carols.

I guess you thought it would be cute to have three women of the story all named Carol. Was not cute. Was annoying for playing with the readers.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 13 years ago
3 Carols...

I actually thought it was a cute device. Of course, I probably thought so because I once had 3 Katherine's (of one spelling or another) in my life in a rather short time frame.

It did not add much to the story, though for me it was funny. It certainly did not take away. I also hate when a commentator speaks for all readers.

Michael

GualterioGualterioalmost 13 years ago
Enjoyed your story of the three Carols

I did think that the transition/ending with the third "Carol" was a little quick. I did enjoy the story-telling device though. Thanks!

RePhilRePhilover 12 years ago
A Caroling we will go

Ho-ho-ho

holydemon00holydemon00over 12 years ago
Good, but sad story

Where a person can't handle true love when it's staring right in her face.

And where another person never loses faith that true love would conquer all, even after 2 bad lessons.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 12 years ago
a carol by any other name

could have used spelling differentiation - Carol, Carole, Carroll - ? Cute tail, though, just like real life, it ain't always neat and tidy.

Danger09Danger09over 11 years ago
Maybe she would've been happier if Sam allowed Eric to bash his skull in & then rip her guts outs.

I don't understand this idiotic woman, she should've been greatful & appreciative but instead she blames Sam for her ex husbands death. Did she want Sam to allow her drunk loser ex to kill him in his own home & abandon his two kids? What an ungreatful selfish bitch! If I was Sam I'd thank the heavens for stepping in before he fell deeply in love & possibly marry such a bitch, I think she came to enjoy the beatings Eric was giving her which would explain her resistance of filing charges & obtaining a restraining order. Her kids found her beaten in their home & not even this was enough to convince her to put the loser in jail where his fat ass belonged, Sam practically had to beg her to do the right thing by filing charges. This bitch is selfish she never once thought about the effects those beatings were causing her children; I found it baffling when she told Sam that she can't be with a man who killed the father of her kids, when Eric referes to his kids as brats, I don't think the kids will miss Eric I think the only moron who'd miss the coward loser is the stupid ex wife. It didn't seem to matter to her that Eric almost killed Sam. I honestly think the ex wife was hoping to get back with Eric .

AnonymousAnonymousover 11 years ago
Kinda surprised

That people think the hero and the Carol he saved belong together. There might have been a spark of something there, but killing a person is a LOT of emotional baggage for both parties to carry, and there is that hanging over your head and between the relationship.

A clean break is far better.

Drbeamer3333Drbeamer3333over 10 years ago
Enjoyed it

Thanks for the offering. The ending seemed a bit anticlimactic.

RePhilRePhilalmost 10 years ago
Carol and Carol??

Really?

CharleyTCharleyTalmost 10 years ago
Comes across as very bland.

Better character development and storyline should improve your efforts. Also, get an editor to at least proofread your stories prior to submitting them. There are way too many incorrectly spelled words which pass a spell check but have a different meaning then the intended meaning. (e.g. To / too, met / meet). Good luck in your future writings.

fanfarefanfareover 9 years ago
in my opinion...

CC, you did a good job here with this story. I think you said what you wanted to say and managed to end it on a hopeful note.

For those complaints about Carol Reynolds lack of gratitude. Let me turn it around on you. To those commentators criticizing, I want you to think about your own wives.

Every marriage goes through rough times, some much worse then the fictional Reynolds.

How would you feel if your wife was NOT stricken at your death? How would you feel if your surviving spouse conceded to a relationship with your killer?

Now how fair is your complaint against Carol Reynolds?

Pappy7Pappy7about 9 years ago
Fairly good story, very well written.

And for those that think that CR was a shit for not being grateful that Sam saved her life, even at the expense of killing her ex, don't. Some people have a very hard time getting around a person killing another person, no matter the reason. I knew a man around 20 years ago that told me a story that I had trouble believing at the time. He said that someone broke into their house and was trying to kill them and he actually was able to arm himself and kill this other man. When I talked to him it was between 5 and 10 years, I don't remember precisely, since it had happened and his wife was still unable to touch him or even look at him. When she spoke to him it was hateful and full of condemnation and not a day passed that she didn't make some remark about him being a killer. Why he stayed or she stayed was never explained and I didn't ask. I thought she was a fucking idiot at the time and still do. But, sometimes you do what you have to do, but there are always consequences for your actions and sometimes they make not sense at all.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 9 years ago
life

some times we do things that people never forget. he killed the crazy

man and must live with that. not his fault but people will never let it go.

I worked with a man who killed a women and I never could forget it.

did not say anything but it was always there. he did his time and I always

remembered the killing. she had to go home to her family with the kids.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 9 years ago
Pretty damned good story!

And although I didn't kill anyone in self defense, this story brought up my own memories. My girlfriend and I were serious and planning to marry. All the sudden, out of the blue, she tells me we should see other people for a while, she wanted to cool it with me. WTF? I was devastated and thankfully had family to lean on. What was even more painful, within a week, she was going out with another guy and seemed quite taken with him. They soon became an item and the girl who swore to me she was determined to go to her wedding bed a virgin, was getting banged regularly by her new boyfriend. One of my best friends happened to actually walk past a car she was being pounded in and saw Tom mounted up on her and he was embarrassed when he saw my face, after telling me he could actually see Tom's cock sliding in and out of her cunt.

I didn't have any serious relationships, I put my effort into work. I owned my own log house company, building home from a doghouse (no kidding!) of 25 square feet, to an 8500 sq ft mansion. Then came a fateful day on one hand I wish had never happened, but on the other I'm so grateful. I was sitting at a local diner having breakfast and my ex came in. I'd heard she'd been dumped after he started cheating on her but this was the first time I'd seen her. One thing led to another and a year later, we were married. Life was fantastic and within 4 years we had two kids, Ben and Elaine.

Then it happened again, similar to this story. I got a call from my mom, saying I needed to get home immediately, there was an emergency. It took me less than 5 minutes to pull into my house and I was met by my mom and two crying kids. Ilene had left me again. She left a note saying she'd taken all the cash from our safe ($60,000) but left our savings and checking, saying I could have everything else, including the kids. Tom had come back into her life and swept her off her feet again. To say I was heartbroken would be an understatement. But you can understand how I said that fateful day was the worst and best thing ever happening to me, I became a divorcee but I was given two wonderful children.

It didn't take the divorce long to go through, I took her note to my lawyer and the judge accepted it as evidence, allowing the divorce to proceed immediately. Within 90 days, I was free of a 5'2", 135lbs POS. Ilene was a tiger in the bedroom, but had the motherly instincts of a rabid hyena. My kids were distraught, afraid I would leave them too, exactly like this story. For a while, I had my mom bring them to work with me and they played in the office while I worked in the log yard building homes. That way, they could see me all day and also ride home with me. They were needy like that until they both entered school, Ben first a year later, Elaine next two years after that.

I was shocked one day when we came home from my folks house, to see a strange car parked in my driveway and it turned out to be Ilene. She had been beaten, similar to Carol in this story, having been choked, punched and having 28 stitched on her cheek. She had no where else to go and wanted me to put her up. I refused, telling her to leave, I didn't want the kids to even see her. I made certain she understood she was no longer a part of my life but especially my children's life. She left, crying, and I have to admit, I didn't feel bad at all. She gave up all rights in order to chase her old love who she had mentioned more than once, had a bigger cock than I did. Now, don't think I'm tiny, my dick is 7" long and 6" around. But if she could believe, he had a 9" cock that was only slightly thinner than my own. Oh fucking well.

Over the next few weeks, Ilene stalked me and when the school called saying she'd been seen near the school grounds (I had alerted them) I took out a restraining order. She was served where she was living with an old HS friend (girl) and was actively seeking a job. I didn't call the police after she stopped by my log yard, wanting to talk. She explained how she made the biggest mistake of her life (I agreed with her) in leaving for Tom again. They hadn't been together for more than 6 months when he cheated on her again and after a couple years, didn't even hide it. She knew she'd fucked up leaving me but was too proud to admit it.

About that time, I'd finally started having a relationship (not sexual) with a grade school teacher I'd met when taking my kids to school. She was young than me by quite a lot, I was 32 and she was 23. She loved kids, obviously, and loved mine especially. We got on great and found we had the same passions in life, hiking, camping, fishing, traveling, etc. She even enjoyed hunting if she could find someone to take her! Guess who started! We both love bird hunting and since I had a fairly young GSP, we started hunting together that fall for pheasants, chukar, quail and grouse. It took a few weeks at the local trap and skeet club for us to get into 'shooting' shape, but we did! Ilene never enjoyed the outdoors or hunting so Jodi was the perfect fit.

While fending off Ilene from my kids and our home, Jodi and I became quite serious. Funnily enough, she was embarrassed to be a virgin, she swore she was the worlds oldest virgin! We had a Spring/Summer wedding, on the equinox of June 21st, a few weeks after school was out. She was indeed a virgin, claiming to having never even been groped, and I eased her into 'womanhood' as she called it, using all the restraint I could muster after so many years without sex.

My ex found me at work soon after our honeymoon, (we camped in the Wind River Mountains of Wyoming!) and I found she was devastated by my marriage. No one had told her I was even serious about someone, let alone ready to marry. She let me know I could have had her at any time, if I would have only told her. She ran from my office in tears when my lip curled and I explained I wouldn't touch her with a 10' pole, there was no telling the diseases her swampy cunt was full of.

Over the next decade, Ilene moved away and never did have any contact with my kids. I heard she and Tom got back together, even with the cheating and beating. I wished them luck, because I was married to the most beautiful 5'8" 130lb woman who looked like a model with high firm tits, a 22" waist that flared out to the most luscious hips you've ever seen.

My ex? I heard she was again in the hospital by Tom's hand and when she got out, she went right back to him. That is the sickest relationship I could have ever imagined and am so glad to be free of her.

betrayedbylovebetrayedbylovealmost 9 years ago
Great Tale

Actually our hero did win. He saved an entire family from getting hurt. He showed his character to his kids and the community and with any luck he has a pretty cop who already likes him and he likes her. This hero won.

tazz317tazz317over 8 years ago
THERE IS ALWAYS WINNERS AND LOSERS

but what about the rest of the participants. TK U MLJ LV NV

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago

yes he did.

tazz317tazz317over 7 years ago
THEY MIGHT NOT WIN EVERY TIME

but when the next damsel needs rescuing the Hero will stand up. TK U MLJ LV NV

ErotFanErotFanover 7 years ago
Little League coach has all the luck

Sooms like someone named Carol will always turn up when needed.

A good yarn, spun very well.

cybojicybojiabout 5 years ago
Good work

Your stories are brief and to the point. Its like you follow an outline. Extend your characters to give them more depth. Keep writing.

linnearlinnearalmost 5 years ago
Hell of a Story

That was a very well written story and very enjoyable. I won't lie I was hoping for a little bit more romance/sex.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Good story but...

... I wish it had been a bit longer. After hearing so many details about the dud Carols, I was really hoping to hear more about the winner. Hell, we didn't even get a physical description of her beyond "nice looking, younger lady." I realize the drama with the Reynolds was the focus of the story but some details of how he found happiness afterwards wouldn't have derailed anything.

oldpantythiefoldpantythiefover 3 years ago
Never enough Carols

Had to laugh at the use of all the women being named Carol. Not such a big thing because it is, or at least was, a common name for women. Even my dad was named Carol, different spelling though.

Some think the switch to Carol Patterson was a little too quick, but I noticed there was something between them from the start. Then the dating got going with Carol Reynolds, well, just figured I got it wrong. Good ending though, good story.

RetiredsleeveRetiredsleeveover 3 years ago
Lol

My wife’s name is Carol as well

Schwanze1Schwanze1over 3 years ago
Hell yes

Helluva story

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago
Funny about the names

My sister has been married to a Terry, Larry and now Gary which I think is hilarious. Gary is from Carter County but probably not from the same Carter County as the writer

Diecast1Diecast1almost 3 years ago

A good story. I like it a lot. AAA+++

nixroxnixroxabout 2 years ago

4 stars - I like this story.

Hiram325Hiram325over 1 year ago

He had no choice, Eric would've killed him, and hitting him in the head was how he stopped the threat. On the other hand you can see Carol Reynold's reasoning. Her kids would've never been able to reconcile that.

Pappy7Pappy7over 1 year ago

I knew guy many years ago that killed an armed home intruder and after that his wife couldn't stand to be around him. I never could understand her thinking or maybe it was just her feelings, but he literally saved her and her children's lives and every minute of every day she made him feel small for what he did.

RodzzzRodzzz9 months ago

A woman's mentality.......need I say more? 5 stars for the story... not the woman.

AnonymousAnonymous9 months ago

Sad story. Could see both sides. Sure it was self defense and he saved Carol Reynolds but can also see how she can't be with the killer of her ex. It is a complex situation. They had only divorced a year earlier. Eric Reynolds probably had a mental illness that got worse over time. Speculation. But life is often not black and white.

AnonymousAnonymous5 months ago

Well done. Very realistic. Sometimes it is a no win situation. Can't blame either of them. He had to defend himself and Carol. She just watched the man she was developing feelings for kill (in self defense) her ex husband and the father of her children. Sometimes life just sucks. Woukd have been different if they had married. But they were early on still. Btw way too many Carols. Made it harder to read. Guessing a joke on thr part of the author. 5 stars.

dirtyoldbimandirtyoldbiman2 months ago

not bad. can't blame Carol 1 with the kids for moving and starting over, can't her staying with the MC either.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous

story TAGS

SIMILAR Stories