All Comments on 'My son'

by UnderYourSpell

Sort by:
  • 6 Comments
buttersbuttersabout 13 years ago
i get visions

of Libya with this (though part of me wonders if it's inspired by Japan) ... the why to that is it has a beating of the breast and hands to the sky/allah/the world's media feel to it, the very public displaying of grief we associate more with the middle east and less with the far eastern nations.

btw, you've a typo L7 - to/too

twelveoonetwelveooneabout 13 years ago
*

I like

see this mother, bereft

with aching breasts,

SeattleRainSeattleRainabout 13 years ago
~

I got an image of Japan, universal, this horror. My nightmare is to hear my son calling for me, trapped in rubble. Recurring. Can't imagine anything more terrible. Nice work capturing this.

greenmountaineergreenmountaineerabout 13 years ago

I too had a vivd recollection of the recent tsunami in Japan, but I also think the poem speaks just as well as the suffering in war at the most fundamental level. Nicely done.

bogusagainbogusagainabout 13 years ago
***

I think the poems starts very strongly as a plea from a mother. I think the poem would have been better if you kept on this tak but you then start to describe such as.....

lost now in a maelstrom

to terrible to comprehend

But if you kept speaking in the role of the mother as you did in the beginning and ended with this...

I recoil in horror

I am a mother, bereft

with aching breasts,

he once filled

my heart with joy.

Just an idea.

GuiltyPleasureGuiltyPleasureabout 13 years ago
Heartbreaking

Strangely it conjures up so many diverse nightmares. Nicely done Annie.

Tess + 5

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous