All Comments on 'Desperado'

by woodmanone

Sort by:
  • 57 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousalmost 13 years ago
Excellent

Thank You! Great story. and thanks again for sharing.

bruce22bruce22almost 13 years ago
Fine Story

The characters sound very true the times. (No I wasn't there)

I am sure that in the modern system he would have been put away.

Thanks to Woody.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 13 years ago
Excellant

I truly enjoyed your story. Thank you

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 13 years ago
Great! But where's the sex???

Great story, but I'm unsure of why it is on this site??? Branching out for new readers? Woody, do you have your own site with all of your stories where readers from all your posts can get together and get you accurate numbers of readers? I think that helps in getting you published? If you need more information on that, contact me at sweetgirlinme226@yahoo.com

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 13 years ago
I think its a great story too

I also think its a shame that Anon does not know what non-erotic means. As for sex I counted several times, wrong category if you are looking for the easy type story with no plot.

hodunkhodunkalmost 13 years ago
A magnificent piece of work...............

This another terriffic example of a great western story as only woodmanone can write. I am so proud to have read this story, what a fine job by one of the best authors of my time. Thank you and I can't wait for the next story.

RAVIGULERIARAVIGULERIAalmost 13 years ago
Awesome

A very fine story.

Appreciate you Mr. Woodmanone.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 13 years ago
NIcely done

Nicely done, quite interesting. Clicked on it out of curiousity, kept reading out of interest. Really made the man and the era come alive.

michs28michs28almost 13 years ago

I always check to see if you have written anything new. You write a fine story sir. Please keep writing and I promise to keep reading. Thank you.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 13 years ago
great story

allways a pleasure to read a well written western story. more please.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 13 years ago
Really good story

Thanks again for your wonderful writing.

Don't your feet get cold in the wintertime

Sky won't snow and the sun won't shine

It's hard to tell the night time from the day

You're losing all your highs and lows

Ain't it funny how the feeling goes away

Been there, done that, got all the scars to prove it.......

lonewolf3307lonewolf3307almost 13 years ago
A mighty fine tale

What a really nice piece of writing. Good story, good characters, what's not to like? I couldn't help but notice a significant improvement in grammar and spelling, also. Without a doubt, you have taken over my #2 spot, behind DG Hear, of all-time favorite authors. DG better not look back because you're steady gaining ground on him. Keep up the great work.

GualterioGualterioalmost 13 years ago
You have quite a knack for writing historical Westerns

At least I'm assuming they're historical-based ... LOL

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 13 years ago
Thanks

I could use superlatives and accolades..........just a fancy way of saying, that was just a flat good story.

thatawaythatawayover 12 years ago

I must apologize after reading this story. I like to many today will punch a star rating but forget a verbal comment. I have supplemented my reading with so many varied but worthy authors on the net. Amazing to realize how accom-plished many writers go unpublished today. As to your series of Western stories I would put your "The Trail West" on par with the (Uncle and newphew) Johnstone's Mountain men books. I must think by that you must have something in print if not you should have. Thanks much for the enter-taining hours you have provided me. Keep writing...

auhunter04auhunter04over 12 years ago
Arizona Range wars

I have the only published book about the Tewksbury-Graham discussion.

It is called Arizona's Dark and Bloody Grounds. Trying to think what would be the Lowell place but nothing comes to mind. When I was younger, some of the old timers down around Payson still knew/had family that had some involvement and they were very closed mouthed even in the 1960s

Thanks to Marshall Commodore Perry Owens, the cattlemen(Grahams) might have stood a chance; He killed 3 of the Graham clan in Holbrook AZ when he went to serve an arrest warrent one for horse stealing. The last related killing was a Graham brother who was shot off a grain wagon. A Tewksbury was accused and went to trial Tom Graham's widow pulled a gun at the trial and tried to kill the Tewksbury but her hankie fouled the hammer.

one of the Tewksbury clan went on to be marshall of Jerome,AZ. And like some of the famcy stories, John, I think it was, was getting a shave when a lot of shooting broke out and the bank is being robbed. John got up walked out and saw the two robbers driving by and killed them both and their car ran into something. John went back and they finished the shave.

If you know Arizona like you talk, bet you did not know one of the worst water rights war was up around Dugas. You go up 15 toward Flag and when you top out of the Black Canyon there is a road junction going off to Prescott. You are now in the area of Dugas

I punched cows and broke horses for a couple of ranches some around Prescott and others around Flag. Every cowboy down there carried a handgun that some 40 years ago and i will bet the ones south of the Mogollon (Muggy-own) Rim still do.

after all that damn good story kept to the facts pretty well

Butch

AnonymousAnonymousabout 12 years ago
good story

mate you write a bloody good western i have enjoyed all of them

AnonymousAnonymousover 11 years ago
THANKS ; HOPE TOU CAN FIND MORE WESTERN STORIES.

ALL OF YOUR WORK HAS BEEN BETTER THAN THE USUAL, FOUND ON THIS

SITE.

Sassy_th4ngSassy_th4ngabout 10 years ago
Wonderful

You have a great writing style and your stories have fantastic plot lines. I look forward to reading more. Thank you for sharing!

pumpop201pumpop201about 10 years ago
Thanks.....

Thanks for a wonderful story. You did an amazing job of building the characters into people I want to know better.

kjohns2001kjohns2001over 8 years ago
Great story.

Great story. Simply one of the very best in this genre. If you love reading about the old west, or just about characters that grip your heart and your imagination, then you will love this story. I reread it often and every time I enjoy it as much as the very first time I found it. Nothing is really overly exaggerated in this story. If you consider how much the lead character earned working, and how little he spent, even the amount of money he ended up with isn't beyond reason. As for the donations, well, history shows several such things happening in the west during the time period in question. I will say one thing though, I own a colt .45 peacemaker style revolver and even with modern rounds it takes skill to accurately use one. Of course having a bit of natural talent helps as well. Those who can use one as described in the story are still respected today even if most of their shooting is at targets rather than people. If you can, find a .45 caliber long colt round and give a thought to just what a 250 grain soft lead slug will do to what it hits. And yes, I do keep mine with me for self defense, right along with various other firearms in .45 ACP and 9 MM. Within 30 feet I will use my .45 revolver as my first weapon of choice for self defense as I know it's stopping power and reliability. Being able to actually hold such a weapon as described in the story in your hand makes what you read come to life in a special way.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
$$$$$

Have paid for stories not as good as this.

Sell it on Amazon.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
desperado

I want to apologize for the very short comments on your work. I am a speed reader but a 1 finger typist. your writing deserves a better write up than i can give it. when I was in high school girls took typing boys took shop, that was in the early 1950's. your stories need to be published like Louie L'Amour or Zane Grey.

Ed Grocott

edgrocott@gmail.com

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
As good as it gets

In the non-erotic category, this story is about as good as it gets. I have read about, studied and visited the places in this story. I've lived and worked in West Texas, the Panhandle and from Wichita Falls to south of San Antonio. The Four Sixes and Kings Ranches in the mid 40s were not much different from Clint's time. I'm getting on in years now and my great grandson brought these stories to my attention and said I'd like em. Well, the boy was right. I do like em, just wish that lasted longer. I can't see well enough to read em myself so the boy is reading them to me and typing what I tell him.

Just thought you might like to here what I thought of your stories.

Best regards,

Jackson Cahill

calflashcalflashabout 8 years ago
a change for me

I'm not usually a fan of "westerns" but read this based on enjoyment of other of your stories I've read, I was totally engrossed in the story - you are a master of tales

tazz317tazz317about 8 years ago
JUST KEPT RIDING FENCES

until the loco weed crept up on him, TK U MLJ LV NV

SelqSelqover 7 years ago
Wonderful story

And as historically accurate as the tale may be, it is your ability of showing us the people and bringing them alive that is your gift to us readers.

Thank you for sharing your gift,

Selq

DrSemblanceDrSemblanceover 7 years ago

Very well done.

Consistent time lines, well edited.

This was your first story that I have read and it definitely makes me want to read more.

If your other stories are as well written, I think you should consider professional writing.

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
Darn fine writing

Always love a good Western tale and you did yourself proud. Thanks for sharing. BK.

rightbankrightbankover 7 years ago
A time capsule

that straddles eras, ages, and cultures. I can't imagine what it must have been like for him to reflect back on the changes during his lifetime.

thanks for an entertaining and educational story.

rightbankrightbankalmost 7 years ago
This deserves to be

a screen play

EMiamiRiverRatEMiamiRiverRatalmost 7 years ago
WOW

I'd say more, but what could I add that would matter? Wonderful story. 5*.

Schwanze1Schwanze1over 5 years ago
Right Bank

Yes, that generation saw more change than any other generation before or since I think. My grandfather grew up in the Steeple Rock mining district out that way hiding from Indians as a small boy and lived to see a man on the moon after fighting in two world wars albeit very briefly in the first. He would have been a contemporary of Clint's so I especially enjoyed this story. I still have an Uncle and cousins in Duncan and east of Phoenix.

tazz317tazz317over 5 years ago
IN THAT TIME PERIOD

there were many people and many true stories about life, TK U MLJ LV NV

Crusader235Crusader235over 5 years ago
Love

I love westerns, and this is one of the best! Five stars, and thank you for it.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
How?

Did she get him back?

woodmanonewoodmanoneover 4 years agoAuthor
To Annon of 9/24

Clint thought about Ellie as he rode off. Of her saying he couldn't drift for ever. That he should stop and love someone and let someone love him. After a few miles he decided Ellie was right and retraced his steps to her. Hope this answers your question. Love can be a powerful motivator.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Cripes, this is/could be real life.

Author, thank you.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
Keep writing

Are you still writing? I think I have read all of your stories in this category and have started to read through the list again. I want more.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
YES!

I certainly agree with the last comment. These westerns are THE BEST stories on this site.

Thank you!

BartBaxterBartBaxteralmost 4 years ago
Desperado

My favorite Eagles song is the theme of your story, isn't it?

I wasn't sharp enough to pick up on that before the story was winding down.

You do write well.

flareb2343flareb2343over 3 years ago
RIGHT THERE

I put woodman one right there with Zane Grey & Louis Lamour . have read all the Western stories & still go back & read them again. give them 10 stars if could,

jackcaljackcalabout 3 years ago

great story well written #5

wjames11wjames11about 3 years ago
Greta story

Great story. Before reading the other comments written by other old west nerds, I was going to point out that the way some of the women are treated in this story is extremely unrealistic. Because the male to female ratio in the old west was only about 10:1, most men were very lonely and thought of women as if they were saints. If a man had just slapped a woman like in your story he probably would have been killed.

Small detail though, overall it was a good story and I enjoyed the read.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Absolutely loved this story! Thankyou for sharing it with me!

oldpantythiefoldpantythiefover 2 years ago

One of the best! Thanks

DarknsDarknsover 1 year ago

@Woodmanone … constantly giving you 5 stars for any western story you write. Well deserved. Thank you again for another enjoyable reading experience.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

What a story teller! Worth the read, especially if you like westerns.

58zuave58zuaveover 1 year ago

Great story. Reminded me of sitting with both of my grandfathers. My mothers dad would talk about the "Wild Bunch" coming through town when he was a boy. Thanks for the memories. Keep up the great writing you do.

OldmantruckerOldmantruckerabout 1 year ago

I sure hope you don't give up writing any time soon. Esp. your westerns, not many like you out here that can write them the way you do . Like others, I'm a fan.. ignore those folks that want to complain about your writing, or even your stories. Let them write their own stories , so we can tare them apart. Like they do to others. Any way thank you for your stories, hope you and your family are healthy . Take care woodmanone, hope to read more of your work in the future... 🤔😉👍👌🙋🤠🤠

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Well done

Starwolf1961Starwolf1961about 1 year ago

Damn fine piece of work! You are a treasure. KUDOS!

AnonymousAnonymous12 months ago

As another commenter mentioned, there seems to be an Eagles subtext. Though I always thought the song was more about turning to God. Fine story 5*.

chytownchytown11 months ago

*****Very entertaining piece of storytelling. Thanks for sharing.

Boyd PercyBoyd Percy8 months ago

Very entertaining and enjoyable!

5

JimDiamondJimDiamond3 months ago

I totally enjoyed your story. A good storyteller is damn hard to find, a publisher once told me. While editors with "Masters" in English were dime a dozen. From your story, I decided that you were that "good storyteller", and you did need an editor...:-) BTW: The Lincoln County War with Billy the Kid started in 1878 and went on until Billy was supposedly killed in about 1881. In 1876 Billy would have been about 16, which would have been a better story; but apparently, Billy was an adult instead of a "Kid" the whole time he was a "Desperado"! Thanks

AnonymousAnonymous2 months ago

You sir, are a fantastic writer

It appears that you stopped 10 years ago.

I think I can speak for a lot of your readers when I say that I'll miss your stories.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userwoodmanone@woodmanone
2293 Followers
I believe age and cunning will overcome youth and enthusiasm every time. Being some what of an egomaniac I believe my stories are very interesting. Only the readers can verify or disprove that premise. Several of my stories are based on my own experience or most have a little ...