All Comments on 'Come to Me'

by UnderYourSpell

Sort by:
  • 8 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousalmost 13 years ago

Now this is what I call a great poem. I'm distinguishing `great' from `good'. Its simple, non-pretentious, doesn't threaten to offload heaps of latent philosophical "truths" to the reader, yet it touches the reader's core. In my book, the best work of art is when its audience can relate to it, when he/she feels that the work of art was done solely for him or her. The best novels are those whose characters seem to be you in entirety or in parts. In this poem, a reader can almost feel tangibly getting up from the bed in the middle of the night and pressing the cheeks against the pane waiting for something or someone or some past echo. Most of us have gone through this syndrome some time or other. UYS captures this so beautifully, so distinctly and so poetically. This could well be prescribed in the curriculum... Thank you for this. Almost forced me to write a comment.

twelveoonetwelveoonealmost 13 years ago
What

the anon says makes sense. A5, Do you want anything else? A downside? I view it as "good", and good is good.

zack_constantinezack_constantinealmost 13 years ago
.

There are some technical errors--well, perhaps not errors, but things I would change--in this poem, but the poem as a whole works very well. Better than anything I can write, so obviously I am not critiquing this.

I'd better go back and vote this a five.

lorencinolorencinoalmost 13 years ago
~

I felt the longing that stretches across a lifetime and the secret place in your heart that will be forever empty though time has dulled the pain enough to allow you to carry your secret and still live a full life.

simply__mesimply__mealmost 13 years ago
Yeah

it's nice. A good poem. I'll nitpick. The third line sounds weird to me, like you need an 'and' after head. Then I think you need a comma after near in the eighth line. In the twelfth line, it could read 'Inside the house, each person slept'. A couple of other commas I might add. I only write this because you use much realism in this poem and exacting grammar. Those just stood out to me. But like others say, quite good, so I nitpick to offer you some feedback. You may be using a form I do not understand since I have no training in poetry. I'm by my own interpretation as to how it should read.

buttersbuttersalmost 13 years ago
while i do question the punctuation...

as some others have, you definitely embrace the reader with this - you make them a part of the experience of your poem by allowing them to bring their shared memories/sensations to the table. who hasn't felt the cool of a night window against their forehead? who hasn't experienced something of that tangible longing, that feeling of having been called, needed, but unable to respond till too late or not at all....

i really like this, UYS, but the punctuation choices were a definite distraction for me.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 13 years ago
Perhaps your best

Five.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 13 years ago
*

"each person" with "their" is wrong. You know better! Should be his or her own warmth. A decent poem, tho not your best.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous