All Comments on 'An Unlikely Romance Ch. 05'

by LaRascasse

Sort by:
  • 7 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
Shocking

This is insane, but I actually somewhat empathize with Simon right now. Hope you have a similar backstory for Monica. Nicely done.

KatieTayKatieTayover 12 years ago

Hmmm..... I'm giving a 3 and here is why...

This suffers from what I call the "Inception" problem. It was a great movie and Leo was great as always, but it was fundamentally not what dreams were like.

The recollection here is too coherent to be a psychological journey into the recesses of repressed memory. I suppose you're doing this for specific story purposes but, the doctor would surely be talking the patient through a smorgasbord of images and impressions. Instead it's a very clear picture of opening door after door into room after room.

Also, cortisol is a hormone, not a drug, so I am not sure it should be capitalized.

I think the main issue is still, that it's too coherent and structured. Also, I feel that maybe during such sequences, only showing should be done and not telling. So, for example, comments like "With parents like these what chance did I have of coming out normal?" should not be interspersed right in the middle of the recollection episode.

The woman figure also shouldn't appear to be a mystical entity like Catatafish in South Park. I know she says to Simon that it's all in his head, but the rest of her lines basically give this claim the lie.

So I feel this chapter aids the series as a story bridge, and now we know what drives Simon -- but I personally feel that I've come to know all this in a slightly mechanical way.

Artina HeartflashArtina Heartflashover 12 years ago
good bridge

Like the insight even if it seems too coherant to be a dream. Suggest alternate method to access Simon's past. Cortisol is a hormone, but why would he need it to summon up the memory? Seems he would have an overload of that stress hormone already in his system...

damppantiesdamppantiesover 12 years ago
Mixed feelings

Good - Some of the language was exquisite, getting the mood just right, especially when you detailed the scenes between the three grown up characters in the past. Beautifully done.

Criticism - As a psych person, what the previous commenters said hit right home as I was reading too. Recollections are not so easily done. One session and wham, everything comes back. Nope. Might have worked better in snatches, story-wise too as well as keeping in line with reality.

Second, I didn't really feel Simon's feelings in this one. It was too clinical. He's come face to face with what made him what he is, and he's unemotionally taking it all in. I would have wanted him to rail at the unfairness of it and cry and flail and kneel and want to die. I wanted it to tear at him from the inside out. I didn't feel it.

But. All said and done, still some of the finest writing on this site. :)

tazz317tazz317over 12 years ago
STEPS FORWARD

sliding back to lazy 8. TK U MLJ LV NV

persorosapersorosaabout 12 years ago

Agree with all the previous comments. The parts I had issues with were the mechanics, the dreamlike state which wasn't dream like. But the bottomline, it's still a very well written piece and although I haven't liked Simon from the beginning this changes my feelings towards him some...excited for the next part.

KarenasKarenasover 11 years ago
Backstory

Simon really comes alive here. How could he have NOT turned into a serial killer?

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userLaRascasse@LaRascasse
1134 Followers
I like writing. Trying my hand at erotic writing now. Other facts about me: Galactic powerbroker. Benevolent celestial overlord. Compulsive dreamer. Confirmed sapiosexual. Fanatic bibliophile. Had the original idea for Facebook while I was still in utero. Interested i...

READ MORE OF THIS SERIES